Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You have to check for updates, it runs well though so I've been using it.

Also I LOOOVE getting infinite resource production in USI. It feels so insanely satisfying to be able to take a resource you've been dealing with managing for a few days and then go 'okay, got enough of that forever'. Even if functionally it just gets replaced by a blue version of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Specifically getting the ingots infinite is so satisfying, it makes everything go lightning fast afterwards.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

pixaal posted:

It's web browsers trying to be use less resources. Non game uses in no way want this stuff running when it can't be seen. You can see this with streaming tab out of a show let it run in the background window at some point it will just stop playing until you can see the player again.

This is Edge and Chrome

You should be using Vivaldi for idle games. It's a fork of Chromium with all advertising and smart tab introspection features disabled. I switched to it for idle games only about a year and a half ago. I just use it for that. Never had an issue.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 4, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Vivaldi is great, I switched a few years ago because it had tab stacking and it’s nice.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Agent355 posted:

You have to check for updates, it runs well though so I've been using it.

Also I LOOOVE getting infinite resource production in USI. It feels so insanely satisfying to be able to take a resource you've been dealing with managing for a few days and then go 'okay, got enough of that forever'. Even if functionally it just gets replaced by a blue version of itself.

It's incredibly satisfying every time but you have to wait longer and longer each time

so basically like literally every idle game mechanic

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oddly enough I actually went infinite on blue automation chips before anything else in the blue tier. Should get both ingots and processors infinite tonight tho. SO satisfying.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm still on green. I'm having trouble punching through the sector 15 boss. Any tips, or is it just "build up salvage to upgrade weapons and void to upgrade computer and wait it out"?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Agent355 posted:

Oddly enough I actually went infinite on blue automation chips before anything else in the blue tier. Should get both ingots and processors infinite tonight tho. SO satisfying.
blue automation chips seem really low-xp to level, like, they're almost useless (for modules I have so far at 27) and the dev overcompensated by making them great for free points

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Alright, I finally removed the salvage cost on blue ingots, and I have kinetic cannons unlocked. What should my loadout be now? 2 kinetics and a beam, or?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Randalor posted:

I'm still on green. I'm having trouble punching through the sector 15 boss. Any tips, or is it just "build up salvage to upgrade weapons and void to upgrade computer and wait it out"?

Two beams and one starter laser cannon specced for support + 30x/1e5 red parts boost from base 1 components, and then building up modules/computer should get you there easy enough.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

What is USI?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rakeris posted:

What is USI?

https://rankith.itch.io/unnamed-space-idle-prototype

A rare example of an idle game where you don't have to reset every hour

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Alright, I finally removed the salvage cost on blue ingots, and I have kinetic cannons unlocked. What should my loadout be now? 2 kinetics and a beam, or?

I still suggest 2 kinetics + beam both because the laser active ability buffs kinetics and because you'll want to be doing warp drives as often as possible which still contain shielded enemies. 3 kinetic is also popular. You should also be unlocking the refit perk from stations soon if you dislike your setup.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

What should I be using with the laser cannons? I've been using Mass Focuser/regular damage 1.25x boosts since those had the highest listed DPS, I didn't bother with the faster ramp time ones. Currently stuck on the sector 13 boss.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Safari Disco Lion posted:

What should I be using with the laser cannons? I've been using Mass Focuser/regular damage 1.25x boosts since those had the highest listed DPS, I didn't bother with the faster ramp time ones. Currently stuck on the sector 13 boss.
I have been doing the same and haven't had complaints up to 28 so far. Don't forget that the "synergy" is better than the "boost this 25%" once you have three lasers (since it's 1.1x per laser and they're all identical it's a higher boost overall) but I don't actually recall when you get the third weapon (the third ship is "Cruiser" so I don't think you have it yet?)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Update on the Jacorb's Games collection: The collection has kept my attention long enough to finish several of the games, so I have a more complete picture of the set now. While some of my getting stuck in places before was probably just me being a dumbass, there are still legitimately portions in several of the games where radical shifts in design from 'active play' to 'wait a couple of days' to 'break out the autoclicker for this step' are not especially welcome, and some of the games really are not especially well-designed or well-balanced. Some games have some roadblocks where it is necessary to either perform some fairly abstruse precise maneuver or simply bash your head against the wall of clicking a button over and over again, even with the help of a guide, sometimes several hundred times. That doesn't automatically make these bad games, but those parts were especially unfun and unwelcome to me.

All of that said, the collection did keep my attention, and some of the games are fairly fun, even! ...many of them are still kind of bland, but suffice it to say that if it wasn't enough for me to quit playing them, then I can't really be too harsh on them, can I?

I'll probably finish up Factory of Automation (it takes an EXTREMELY long time to open up, and you have to get clever with dumb stuff in the Milestones tab to progress, but it's not bad after the initial HORRENDOUS grind), but Distance Incremental and Rapture 30 feel like lost causes to me; the walls are too frequent and the problem spaces too wide for me to remain patient with figuring them out, or, it would seem, waiting literally days on resource accumulation to get past the harder humps, as that's been seemingly my only option at multiple points. If there are easy answers to progression, I've run out of fucks to spend on unlocking them.

I'm still glad I played the collection, and it's fun overall, but the rough spots really grated me something fierce.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have been doing the same and haven't had complaints up to 28 so far. Don't forget that the "synergy" is better than the "boost this 25%" once you have three lasers (since it's 1.1x per laser and they're all identical it's a higher boost overall) but I don't actually recall when you get the third weapon (the third ship is "Cruiser" so I don't think you have it yet?)

Sorry, when I said "laser cannon" I meant "beam laser". The cruiser has 3 slots and I'm using the third as a laser cannon with all the synergy bonuses, and the first 2 slots are beam lasers with the high ramp up bonuses and no ramp time ones.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I tend to go for the fast ramp.

The listed DPS is the damage the laser does when it is fully charged. I don't know what the ramp looks like though, does it start at 10% and ramp linearly to 100%? Start at 50%? Ramp exponentially? Who knows.

I tend to just keep the laser ramping up to full in 3-5 seconds so that enemies are actually taking full listed DPS by the time they die, and I also make sure every laser is focusing a different target to make better use of their ramping damage.

Then I switch to the slow-ramp high-damage option for bosses who will actually be alive long enough that I know I'll get to those higher dps numbers.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly it's something that's pretty easy to see for yourself if you set your lasers to "Target Overlap: Allow" because then you can watch them lock on to different targets and damage race.

For my money, I find that it's best to use Mass Focuser with one or two of the Ramp Time upgrades.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just unlocked HC, retrofit, and T2 weapons this morning all at once. Is it recommended to switch to T2 right away? If so what weapon load out are you guys using with the HC? I suppose I should have staggered these upgrades but it is what it is. Maybe 3 t2 beams and 1 kinetic? Or 2/2?

Also with having 2 utility slots it looks like you can't double up on synth or computer so retro loses a bit of value there since I guess I just run one of each and call it a day.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've been running either 4 kinetics or 3 beams and 1 normal. Haven't felt much of a need to switch it around much, as rout4s have been pretty cleanly divided between shield and armored enemies so far. Also worth noting that if you're running beams, make drat sure your normal laser is v1. Its support capabilities are way more important than its damage.

I've been thinking about running 1 kinetic with 3 lasers for the sector 28 though. It's got a lot of high health juggernauts (which beam excels at killing) alongside some low hp, armored enemies. Not sure yet, I'll probably experiment a little.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zotix posted:

I just unlocked HC, retrofit, and T2 weapons this morning all at once. Is it recommended to switch to T2 right away? If so what weapon load out are you guys using with the HC? I suppose I should have staggered these upgrades but it is what it is. Maybe 3 t2 beams and 1 kinetic? Or 2/2?

Also with having 2 utility slots it looks like you can't double up on synth or computer so retro loses a bit of value there since I guess I just run one of each and call it a day.

Hey, you unlocked the same big raft of upgrades at once as I did, good on ya

I switched to 2.0 right away and never looked back; it took me forever to afford any upgrades but I didn't need them; for a while I was running 1 beam and 3 kinetics, but that gets diminishing returns after a while because the kinetic cannons don't seem to ramp up in effective damage quite as well as the lasers do. So for a while I was running 1 beam, 1 charge laser, and 2 kinetics; one of the latter kinetics I swapped out for a Bomb Launcher once I unlocked that. That's gotten me to 31 on my current run, so I'm pretty pleased with it. I might get better results by focusing more, but the game keeps throwing different enemy types at you so I find it easier to generalize a little.

The retrofits will, in pretty short order, stop being about choosing better weapons and start being about choosing better support modules, especially once you unlock the third one (for Reactors); my advice is to stick with Computer and Synth support for the first chunk of a run, then once you've built up a good set of bonuses from Compute (trivial once you unlock the second page of Compute ranks) swap that support out for another. But that's a later down the road issue right now for you.

EDIT: another thought strikes me, so I'll put it here and avoid doubleposting. I have found it extremely worthwhile to spend a portion of each run focusing on one single upgrade type, especially now that I have to juggle my support slots. Spend like an hour or two grinding Research, for instance, pouring as much Reactor power into boosting it as possible, ranking up the Research module in Synth, making sure my Research Shard is in the right spot. Do that until you're out of researches in a relatively easy to achieve timeframe, then turn all that poo poo off. Focus on Computing instead, or on Synthing, or on boosting your Reactor so you can afford a few more ranks of each upgrade, et cetera. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've found that vastly more efficient (and less boring to play) than trying to be a little bit good at everything at the same time.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 5, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
USI got an update and temporary code for 250 AI points - 'regret'. It's also in the changelog.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The dev is super active and responds to everything on their discord. I threw money at them for that alone (also helps that the game is a refreshing twist on the idle incremental genre)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
best stealth upgrade for USI: the color of the "production" base square changed to a bright green from the yellow that I was unable to tell apart from the other yellow

possibly worst etc: if you're red/green colorblind, are you just screwed telling it apart from the red now?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This new "Start New Conversion" button in the reactor tab is extremely helpful for my confusion with how that all worked. It's nice to get immediate feedback when dragging the slider instead of having to wait to see whether you're going to be in the negative.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

possibly worst etc: if you're red/green colorblind, are you just screwed telling it apart from the red now?

There is a checkmark: "geneation grid icons" that puts the icon of resource it makes in the middle.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MikusR posted:

There is a checkmark: "geneation grid icons" that puts the icon of resource it makes in the middle.

Well this is so much easier to parse now even without color issues. This should be on by default.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

Well this is so much easier to parse now even without color issues. This should be on by default.
holy poo poo yes that's a game-changer thank you so much for pointing it out

it's weird that there's a settings menu and then all the really good settings are not in that menu.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Rynoto posted:

USI got an update and temporary code for 250 AI points - 'regret'. It's also in the changelog.
I haven't regretted any of my AI choices so far but I still claimed the points :ninja:

am I going to the bad place

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sivart13 posted:

I haven't regretted any of my AI choices so far but I still claimed the points :ninja:

am I going to the bad place

You're posting in a thread about playing games about waiting

You're already there

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
How do you check for updates on the standalone app? Do you need to redownload the whole thing?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How do you check for updates on the standalone app? Do you need to redownload the whole thing?

Only the newest version has the version check so unknown but even with this it will probably just tell you new version go download it. There's no launcher I don't think it can self update.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just downloaded the new version and copy/pasted the files into the folder I had it in, then overwrote all.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

explosivo posted:

I just downloaded the new version and copy/pasted the files into the folder I had it in, then overwrote all.

You can just delete your old folder saves are stored in %appdata%\Godot\app_userdata\SpaceIdle

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I downloaded and just ran it, but I'm using both local and cloud saves. Worked right off the bat when I loaded the new version, no need for me to copy anything.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I think I found out why I was having such a roadblock in USI. Turns out actually reading what stuff does. I had no battle parts from the space station (I thought they were parts for building something else down the line, not a straight multiplier to your stats. Despite the text saying that right above the station modules.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rynoto posted:

Are there any other active codes?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
one of the updates to wrap allows you to run multiple warp difficulties with the same wrap core. it whips rear end. i love warp now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

crime weed posted:

one of the updates to wrap allows you to run multiple warp difficulties with the same wrap core. it whips rear end. i love warp now!

I can fit 3 clears into a run, it only counts the highest cleared difficulty it's purely a catch up mechanic for sudden bursts of progress if that isn't obvious to someone. Might be able to squeak a 4th in with some engine speed you have as long as you need to clear it as long as you enter the warp before the timer reaches zero. There's no pausing it.