Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you’re a sorcery build you missed out on the fire elemental magma sorceries which are nice options since more things tend to hate fire than laser beams, and I don’t think you get the summon for a pain in the rear end boss fight without progressing the manor quests but mostly eh. There’s cool stuff for sure but it’s not much you can’t emulate with ashes of war iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

If you’re a sorcery build you missed out on the fire elemental magma sorceries which are nice options since more things tend to hate fire than laser beams, and I don’t think you get the summon for a pain in the rear end boss fight without progressing the manor quests but mostly eh. There’s cool stuff for sure but it’s not much you can’t emulate with ashes of war iirc.

I’m focusing on intelligence for my first playthrough, I haven’t put anything into Faith so I wouldn’t use the magma stuff anyway. I did get the Magma shot for doing the first quest but it looks like that’s all I can do.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think it's really funny that you can just completely skip the entire Volcano Manor dungeon.

The sheer amount of content From is content to just leave completely or almost completely hidden unless you go hunting for it is one of the most standout traits of the company imho.

verbal enema posted:

lol @ the demi human queen's staff throw

She's right, this magic stuff is for nerds. All you need is yell a lot and bonk. Shame the rock heads had her mixed up for so long. The trolls did well by the Carians because they were sensible enough to give them huge swords.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I keep getting Maliekth summons and it's a fight I'm having to re-learn with a single two-handed slow weapon, and is made much harder when his health is doubled and his target is switching. If you've summoned someone named VIGOR ENJOYER for this fight and are reading this, I did my best to do a shitload of damage and get him well into phase 2, also I should've thought to be the guy hanging back to parry him with the stone earlier. That's today's strategies, I hope furled fingers can use it.

Co-op at 150 has made me really, really good at Hero's Graves tho. Always a highlight to blow somebody's mind with the shackle trick, and revealing how to make the giant able to be killed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hey, what’s the deal with Stonesword Keys? The game presents them as rare and valueable items that must be used with care, but I don’t think I’ve ever had less than I needed. I currently have 24 in my inventory and I would be surprised if I’ve even used 10 throughout this whole playthrough. Have I just been overlooking a ton of imp statues?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BigDumper posted:

I think I might have screwed something up with Volcano Manor. I fought Rykard without realizing what the fight was, and I did it before I went to the drawing room that gives out the first invasion quest. Tanith and everyone else left, so I guess I miss out on the rest of the quest line? Hopefully it doesn’t cost me anything too valuable lol

There's like five or so novel armour sets you can get from the invasions, so if you replay and like dressup it might be worth doing them next time? Also you can get an item that gives you a unique parry action on a later boss but it's no big deal

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

BigDumper posted:

I think I might have screwed something up with Volcano Manor. I fought Rykard without realizing what the fight was, and I did it before I went to the drawing room that gives out the first invasion quest. Tanith and everyone else left, so I guess I miss out on the rest of the quest line? Hopefully it doesn’t cost me anything too valuable lol

You missed on out the finest drip in the game. Several great looking sets are only available through that quest line unfortunately.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ariong posted:

Hey, what’s the deal with Stonesword Keys? The game presents them as rare and valueable items that must be used with care, but I don’t think I’ve ever had less than I needed. I currently have 24 in my inventory and I would be surprised if I’ve even used 10 throughout this whole playthrough. Have I just been overlooking a ton of imp statues?

If you explore a lot they're as common as old fangs, but they tend to be at least a bit out of the way beyond a relative handful so the scarcity is definitely overrated but a lot of players who are unlucky or just don't explore much will definitely feel like they're rare and worth not immediately using.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

today I learned the reason I found the Shaded Castle and its lack of grace or stake of marika so frustrating is because I was entering from the left and the grace is on the right

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ariong posted:

According to the wiki, there are 81 keys in the game and 47 uses for them. So no, if you're exploring a lot, you'll have a lot of extras.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wow, really? I swear I’ve seen like 8 imp locks. It’s been ages since the last time I saw one. It’s kind of annoying because it feels bad when I go out of my way to get a purple item and it turns out to be something I already have dozens of and haven’t been able to use in like 10 hours of gameplay.

Can anyone please give me a tip for jumping on the chariot at the end of Gelmir Hero’s Grave? It’s really tedious running through the same long hallways and hiding in alcoves over and over just to clip through the thing and die again and again. The worst part is that the first time I tried it I swore I got it dead center and clipped roght through, so I assumed that wasn’t the right thing to do and spent 20 minutes looking for another path.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

In another series I'd be mad to battle a gauntlet of hell knights and their pet dogs and/or navigate some questionable platforming all to get.... 5x Prism Stones. Fromsoft titles it just makes me laugh

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

BigDumper posted:

You fool! You have spared the lives of several good people :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I decided to wander Caelid a bit from the Sellia Crystal Tunnels, and stumbled across Sellia itself. Had a fun romp there and got a couple of levels. Then I decided to clear through the Tunnel and lost a level worth of runes to a surprise shrimp. They hurt so much, and I can’t for the life of me roll out of their bolts, so I either get the lock on and the shield up real fast or I’m in a tough spot.

I think I’ll go back to Stormveil next—I was discouraged by being stuck getting past a pair of knights just across a bridge and hit da bricks, but I’m ready for another try and I feel like my combat awareness is a bit better now. I still get myself hosed up by trying to mash my way through the last hit on an enemy who then feeds me a whole combo and there goes a potion (if I don’t just die and feel stupid). Nothing for that but practice being patient, I figure.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Ariong posted:

Can anyone please give me a tip for jumping on the chariot at the end of Gelmir Hero’s Grave? It’s really tedious running through the same long hallways and hiding in alcoves over and over just to clip through the thing and die again and again. The worst part is that the first time I tried it I swore I got it dead center and clipped roght through, so I assumed that wasn’t the right thing to do and spent 20 minutes looking for another path.

Don't jump down onto it when it's moving. You have a short window to land on it when it stops at the lava.

e: I used bloodhound's step and made my way through the lava all the way to the treasure in my first run of it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like how White Mask Varre is basically trying to redpill you into going volcel

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just entered the capital and drat that dead petrified dragon is like three times bigger than the elderly paraplegic dragon I brutally murdered in Cælid. And that one was the size of a castle.

I like the weird horn playing blob creatures.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So, I think this game finally fully clicked for me, and it was because of two moments:

The first was stumbling around underground through a giant ant hive, only to arrive in this room:

First of all, amazing art direction here?? That's me slowly creeping through it as a mimic water trough terrified that the giant skeleton was about to stand up and start blasting, only to instead be accosted by a giant dragon-man. And then I actually beat him in three attempts by paying attention to what he was doing (and also getting a little help from my jellyfish friend). It made me realize I could actually fight the giant, screen-filling bosses without immediately crumpling. It made me even want to try and actually beat Bloodborne for real this time (I'm kidding, the shield is a crutch).

The second was when I was talking to a guy at tarnished HQ, showed him a death root I didn't remember getting, he told me to go talk to a beast cleric who mumbled something vague, that part doesn't matter. What does matter is while poking around I found a series of notes pointing to a secret area where you could slowly scale down the cliffs, where I wound up here:

I'm sure everyone in this thread knows about it, and there was nothing amazing down there (a nice talisman and a weapon I'm unlikely to use) but actually finding this little secret nook at the very edge of the game world while exploring the game naturally was the first time I felt genuinely impressed by the way players could leave each other notes and saw it used for something more interesting than 'look out for ambush' or 'try fire'/etc, to find something I would never have stumbled on myself without seeing an obscure wiki entry years later.

It also helped that the little guys and the bats in that area gave a crazy amount of runes, so I finally leveled up enough to try this treespear build I had my eye on. Now to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do in the rafters of this magic ghost library...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I like how White Mask Varre is basically trying to redpill you into going volcel

The Bloody Fingers do not strike me as any variation of 'cel'.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ariong posted:

You can drop onto it from the rafters above, it requires no jumping, just stepping off and landing on it. I think you have to avoid the chariot about four or five times before there's an opportunity to drop off the side of the path onto a ledge into where you want to be?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He's a creep but I think he raises a good point about how the strange hairy finger monster may not be legit.

He has yet to supply an alternative though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Varre's boss is the short guy in a hood from Dark Souls 2 who greets you with "Do you want to be covered in blood"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That sounds like a good time.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Darth Walrus posted:

The Bloody Fingers do not strike me as any variation of 'cel'.

His entire premise is "Hey bro maidens are wack, you wanna just hang out with me and the blood boys?"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just dudes being bros.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
varre is dumb as poo poo. he makes fun of me for being maidenless and then asks me to kill my maiden later. do i look like i have a girlfriend? im
carrying a loving katana around

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

His entire premise is "Hey bro maidens are wack, you wanna just hang out with me and the blood boys?"

I mean, yeah, but he's pretty clear about meaning it in a S&M sex cult sort of way. 'You have the sweetest scream, my lambkin', indeed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thank you for the chariot advice. One last question for the day: is there a calculator or somethhing I can use to determine how high my Arcane stat needs to be before Occult infusion makes the bleed buildup higher than it is with no/bleed infusion?

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Just completely wasted a rune arc at the table of lost grace because I have no idea what I’m doing

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You can replenish them by doing co-op, don't feel bad about that

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm like 30 hours in in offline can I switch to online or do I need to start a new game?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm like 30 hours in in offline can I switch to online or do I need to start a new game?

you can switch between the two as you like, the only difference is the multiplayer being enabled/disabled depending on your current status

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I'm still moving along with my +0 upgrade run. I've cleaned out the upper city entire. Beat Godfrey twice, once with Lightning Spear using my new Gravel Stone Seal, then forced a quit out at 1% because that was too easy, I shouldn't win first attempt. Quickstep + Godskin Stitcher rematch, more challenging but Fake Lord Unga Bunga wasn't much more than a speedbump. Saving Morgott for another day, I think it's time I cleared Dragonbarrow. Leyndell was overall more spectacle than challenge, but the sewers await and the enemies down there kick my rear end even fully upgraded.

I did eventually give up on the gargoyle duo boss and called in the NPC summon to distract one long enough so that it wouldn't endlessly carpet my feet in barf from off screen long enough to get the first one down. Sucks but nonstop area denial and off screen attacks were no fun at all. I never realized there was a progress blocker after Astel before completing Ranni's questline.

Edit: Ah gently caress I just remembered the Caelid bell bearing hunter

Grayshift fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 6, 2023

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FreudianSlippers posted:

He's a creep but I think he raises a good point about how the strange hairy finger monster may not be legit.

He has yet to supply an alternative though.

The alternative is Mogh, who was NOT particularly welcoming when I accepted his invitation to come see him.

(Between him and Rykard I guess that's kind of a recurring theme.)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Currently getting my rear end beat by some very badass knight dudes in Nokron. Struggling with both staff man and the copy-paste of the Limgrave gaol guy. Just insane poise and aggression.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The twin gargoyles are hard, yeah, but a strat I found to cheese them was to run all the way to the waterfall at the other end of the arena and summon Latenna there and let her just snipe them to death. There's a way to make it so that they can't quite get to either of you and she just plinks them to death. Or at least there was, this was back in I think patch 1.05 or something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

big cummers ONLY posted:

Currently getting my rear end beat by some very badass knight dudes in Nokron. Struggling with both staff man and the copy-paste of the Limgrave gaol guy. Just insane poise and aggression.

Rolling through their attacks, getting a hit or two in, and then repeating is generally a decent strategy for wearing down Crucible Knights. Learn to make every one of their attacks into an opening. Or you can parry them, if you're confident in your parrying skills.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Pope Guilty posted:

The alternative is Mogh, who was NOT particularly welcoming when I accepted his invitation to come see him.

(Between him and Rykard I guess that's kind of a recurring theme.)

If you read the invitation it says "Just hold on to this for eons and wait for Mogh to force-feminize his brother(????) before using it"

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Crucible Knights are ultimate parry bait, even moreso than the Black/Silver Knights of DS1. Slap Carian Retaliation on a shield. Main hand Misericorde (preferably with an elemental infusion). Parry, riposte, charged R2 while they're getting up, repeat. Crimson Dagger talisman helps, and regular Dagger talisman too is you have it. Pretty much everything except the stomps and crucible spells can be parried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Rolling through their attacks, getting a hit or two in, and then repeating is generally a decent strategy for wearing down Crucible Knights. Learn to make every one of their attacks into an opening. Or you can parry them, if you're confident in your parrying skills.

Killed sword and shield man, went down pretty much like you said. Had to focus on dodging. Tried-and-true guard counter just wasn't swinging fast enough to avoid being punished