Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

In case any of y’all are in Southern California near Claremont tomorrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

In case any of y’all are in Southern California near Claremont tomorrow:

My setup:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

That is super cool… great setup.

I wish I lived somewhere with meetups and such. 4th largest city in the US and I can’t find a single retro computer / tech interest group around here

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice meet there! Good mix of computers there, nice 800 you have there

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I was in Amiga Ireland 13-14 January.

It's an annual Amiga event hosted in a small town called Athlone in the middle of Ireland. Very charming place.

It was mainly drinking and gaming, but there was some interesting content too. Ron Nicholson who was an early employee at Apple and later designed the Amiga's chipset had talk/q&a.

The main reason I went was to meet a lot of online friends IRL. Our group had people from UK, Ireland, Norway, Finland and Australia.

The town itself. It was very small and I pretty much got to know it during my three day visit. Didn't take long to walk from end to end:

The event:

Full Irish breakfast:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Very cool meet :)

Whenever I heard vintage computer podcasts talking about Amiga Ireland I thought it was some fake island, not the actual country

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure if there's a more relevant thread, but for anyone looking to get in on the new-old-stock of NABU Z80 hardware, the original seller just put more up yesterday. Snagged one this morning.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/394456877962

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What can you actually do with that? If I recall it’s not just a regular z80 pc right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s a fairly recent development in the retro space IIRC. Originally it was a Canadian set-top-box in the 80s, fairly similar to the MSX. A good amount of the games (my understanding) have now been archived and are available via a “network emulator” you can hook the original hardware into.

I was big into following when the stock first dropped on eBay but since I missed out on the first wave I kind of dropped off. Looks like it has a lot of progress behind it, but ultimately it’s a fairly limited use case once you have all the existing games. Expecting some new games will be ported to it, but it seems like one of those things that will be fairly niche going forward.

A floppy controller board has now been reverse engineered and is in testing, CP/M boots over the network, games can be served to it from the emulator and from an online adapter IIRC. I jumped on this just because once the original stock is gone there won’t be any more, though presumably it’ll get a MiSTer core or MAME core at some point soon.

E: ADB did a pretty good video on it, and there’s a guy who’s constantly uploading little 5-10 min progess videos he’s making on the emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLYjZoShjy0

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 11, 2023

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The NABU hits a real FOMO note for me. I know I’ll never take the time to really use one, especially compared to other options, but damnit, I want to be in the NABU club!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

One HUUUUUNDRED percent the reason I am now $200CDN poorer.

But rich in spirit NABU.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I could afford one, and have space for one, and I like the looks, and I could probably even use it for a few things, but...

life is short.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had fomo for a minute and then I realized I’d never use it and I have no nostalgia for it or any z80 machine

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had fomo for a minute and then I realized I’d never use it and I have no nostalgia for it or any z80 machine

Is it better than a nabu?

e: I bid on an Amstrad CPC464 (with a cassette emulator and RGB cable, sans original VDU) and a Commodore VIC 20 but lost on both. Actually glad about the first one, as there is like maybe one game (Jack the Nipper 2) that I know I'd like to play on it (that isn't available for something else, usually better). It's a really cool-looking system but over 250€ is way too much without the monitor. A VIC I'd like just to complete the "family" but not paying more than 70€ right now for a possible project. The VIC games I want to play, I'll just play on the The VIC20, if I ever get around to it.

ee: That ENTER key, tho :eyepop:

eee: A PPC6128 for under 300€ I'd probably go for. We had them in school and they're great. Too bad about the boring keyboard :(

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 11, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The only Z80 computer I might have a bit of nostalgia for would be a TI-83+ graphing calculator, I did have a bunch of fun with that one during high school.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One of the first computers my family had in the '80s was an Epson Equity whose keyboard had the same Enter key.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Timby posted:

One of the first computers my family had in the '80s was an Epson Equity whose keyboard had the same Enter key.

According to GIS it's not the same. It's upside down.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Well the NABU looks to be sold out. Which is honestly for the best for me. I don’t have the space, and I have a full set of Commodore machines (PET, VIC20, C64, and Amiga 500) that cover the history of early gaming pretty well.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: I bid on an Amstrad CPC464 (with a cassette emulator and RGB cable, sans original VDU) and a Commodore VIC 20 but lost on both. Actually glad about the first one, as there is like maybe one game (Jack the Nipper 2) that I know I'd like to play on it (that isn't available for something else, usually better). It's a really cool-looking system but over 250€ is way too much without the monitor. A VIC I'd like just to complete the "family" but not paying more than 70€ right now for a possible project. The VIC games I want to play, I'll just play on the The VIC20, if I ever get around to it.

eee: A PPC6128 for under 300€ I'd probably go for. We had them in school and they're great. Too bad about the boring keyboard :(

€250 for a CPC464? Is it made of gold or something? Shouldn't be more than about €100 to get one from the UK into the EU even after import duty or whatever, if you really want one.
(Maybe postage would be quite a bit as it's fairly heavy?)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Pretty sure Jack 2 is on the C64 and exactly as playable there as on the CPC if that helps any.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Pretty sure Jack 2 is on the C64 and exactly as playable there as on the CPC if that helps any.

Yeah I just took a look at the Amstrad version in colour and it looks loving hideous. I think I've only played it on the green CRTs.

Also all three versions seem to be coming to Steam so... (Anyway I played a bit on VICE just now and I guess games seem a lot better when you're like 8 :( I still play the first game every year at least. Love the music.)

legooolas posted:

€250 for a CPC464? Is it made of gold or something? Shouldn't be more than about €100 to get one from the UK into the EU even after import duty or whatever, if you really want one.
(Maybe postage would be quite a bit as it's fairly heavy?)

I'm not selling it, I just bid on it until it got too expensive for my blood.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Well the NABU looks to be sold out. Which is honestly for the best for me. I don’t have the space, and I have a full set of Commodore machines (PET, VIC20, C64, and Amiga 500) that cover the history of early gaming pretty well.

The good news is that the seller is batching these out, apparently has 800-something, so there’s definitely more to come. They’re just pacing the sales to have a realistic chance of shipping these in a sensible manner.

The bad news is that the seller is batching these out, apparently has 800-something, so there’s definitely more to come :haw:

I pretty much agree with folks, the NABU is probably inconsequential in the retro scene, pretty niche, but I’m now justifying it by preserving my national computing heritage :canada: — that sounds much better than “I want it because FOMO”

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’ll be honest. If I catch one of the next batches, I’ll probably buy one.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm not selling it, I just bid on it until it got too expensive for my blood.

Yeah I got that, just saying that that seems bonkers for a sale price on it :) There have certainly been ones which have gone for a lot cheaper recently on eBay in the UK. There probably aren't *that* many about as it was (in the circles I frequented at least!) a distant third place in popularity here after the Speccy and C64 originally.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
"Hey man, almost finished with the chassis layout? Found a good place for the arrow keys, yeah?"

"yeah, yeah don't worry about it"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

an actual frog posted:

"Hey man, almost finished with the chassis layout? Found a good place for the arrow keys, yeah?"

What do you expect from a guy called Lord Sugar.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

an actual frog posted:

Hey, at least it actually has four of them! :v:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I pretty much agree with folks, the NABU is probably inconsequential in the retro scene, pretty niche, but I’m now justifying it by preserving my national computing heritage :canada: — that sounds much better than “I want it because FOMO”

FOMO won. A new batch went up tonight and I ordered one.

That people are now porting MSX games over to this somewhat helped my rationalization.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:twisted:

Mine just shipped, so I grabbed that RS422 USB adapter until I can figure out a way to elegantly shove a RasPi with some kind of RS422 hat inside the thing to negate extra cables/etc.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

h_double posted:

Also good choice on Jumpman, that is still a legit good platformer.

Jumpman (on the C64) was my favorite game growing up. 20 years ago I did up a new Jumpman game for PC (and Palm Pilot, if you have one of those floating around).

Looks like you can still find it on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120209114833/http://www.jumpmanzero.com/

...and it still runs OK on a modern PC (I just checked.. first time playing it in some time), though the graphics don't translate well to a big monitor in 2023.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

jmzero posted:

Jumpman (on the C64) was my favorite game growing up. 20 years ago I did up a new Jumpman game for PC (and Palm Pilot, if you have one of those floating around).

Looks like you can still find it on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120209114833/http://www.jumpmanzero.com/

...and it still runs OK on a modern PC (I just checked.. first time playing it in some time), though the graphics don't translate well to a big monitor in 2023.

lmao I distinctly remember playing this on my handspring visor, this rules

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those graphics for some reason made me think of Elastomania

Man I played the poo poo out of that game

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Elasto Mania rules. You can buy it, and its predecessor Action Supercross, on steam now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who needs a NABU when you have a fujinet-equipped Coleco Adam?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jehde posted:

Elasto Mania rules. You can buy it, and its predecessor Action Supercross, on steam now.

Really? If they work on the steam deck I’m all over that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I won't have time to play with it for a while, but fomo won and I bought a NABU too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retrocomputer Gaming Thread: NABU FOMO

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm officially a Japanese PC owning weirdo (well I have an MSX2, but that was a much smaller investment). It's CX20 model FM Towns, a 386DX 16 MHz with 2MB of RAM, although I have some SIMMs on the way to upgrade it.

The floppy drives might be bad (either that, or all of the refurbed disks I bought on ebay are bad...or both!). The mouse is definitely bad, the cursor jumps everywhere even after a thorough cleaning. I have an adapter coming that will let me use a PS/2 mouse. It's theoretically possible to use a GoTek for a floppy, but I will need to build my own adapter as it doesn't use a standard floppy cable connector. I found someone that designed a PCB adapter that I could try building. Most games just boot off the CD, which is why it was able to be consolized into the FM Towns Marty. Most games will use a floppy disk to save, but some games like Wing Commander 2 require a hard drive install like a typical MS-DOS game.

Most importantly the CD-ROM works. The GDEMU guy makes an ODE called The Wizard that I apparently just missed pre-orders for. Hopefully this drive lasts long enough until the next batch of orders he does. It is possible to use a SCSI CD-ROM (or ZuluSCSI/BlueSCSI/SCSI2SD/etc) for games with the proper driver/boot disk. But an ODE would probably have the best compatibility.

I successfully installed TownsOS 2.1 L10 (I think the latest version is L50) to the ZuluSCSI. But in order to boot off it you need to boot off the TownsOS CD-ROM and run the setup utility to enable booting from SCSI. I have to do that every time right now because the TWO CMOS batteries are dead, which I will replace shortly. One is a CR2430 and the other is an NC468, which I cannot find any information on. It's apparently 3V rechargeable, like the Dreamcast. Someone on nfg.forums suggested replacing it with a non-rechargable and add a diode.

Right now I have the ZuluSCSI connected externally, but there is an internal hard-drive bay I could install it into once I get things settled.

There's a very mysterious hole on the side of the case which leads to a potentiometer on the motherboard. I'm very curious what that's for. The very well illustrated documentation didn't seem to mention it at all.

I don't actually think the FM Towns games library is very good or interesting. The X68000 or PC88/98 are much better for that. But I think it's interesting that this is a souped-up 386. I think after I upgrade the RAM I could install Windows 3.1. TownsOS is kinda interesting. It's a GUI that runs on top of MS-DOS 3 and has a nice simple aesthetic. I think Fujitsu was highly inspired by the Mac (see the FM Towns all-in-ones). It seems there's a fair number of games and software for it, they use the extension .EXP instead of .EXE. But I think later software is DOS or Windows based.

Here's bonus pics of the A-Train III big box I got with it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I don't actually think the FM Towns games library is very good or interesting. The X68000 or PC88/98 are much better for that. But I think it's interesting that this is a souped-up 386.

Retro computing summed up in a nutshell.

I also absolutely love that case. Even if you never use it, just seeing it in your collection is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
drat I can FEEL how cool I would have thought A-Train III was from that box, both as I had not yet figured out I did not like simulation games AND because JUST LOOK AT HOW COOL IT STILL IS