Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh it's time for a new AmberElec, with RG552 support

quote:

Release Notes

### What's new? ###

Newly added Libretro cores (all devices):

flycast 2021 (Sega Dreamcast / Naomi, Atomiswave)
MAME 2016 (0.174 rom set)
beetle_pce (NEC Engine / PC Engine CD / TurboGrafx 16 / TurboGrafx CD / SuperGrafx)
DOSBox Core (MS-DOS)
duckstation (Sony Playstation)
fake-08 (Pico-8)
ep128emu (Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, Enterprise 64/128, TVC)
emuscv (Super Cassette Vision)
jaxe (CHIP-8)
wasm-4 (WASM-4)
lowresnx (LowRes NX)
mojozork (Z-Machine)

Newly added Libretro cores (RG552 only):

bsnes (Nintento Game Boy / Game Boy Color / MSU-1 / SNES / SFC / Satellaview)
beetle-snes (Nintento SNES / SFC / Satellaview)
bsnes2014 performance (Nintento SNES / SFC / Satellaview)
bsnes2014 balanced (Nintento SNES / SFC / Satellaview)
bsnes mercury performance (Nintento SNES / SFC / Satellaview)
bsnes mercury balanced (Nintento SNES / SFC / Satellaview)
mesen (Nintento NES / Famicom)
mesen-s (Nintento Game Boy / Game Boy Color / MSU-1 / SNES / SFC / Satellaview)

Added new options and some new supported cores for RetroRun
Added an utility to set the time offline
Added an utility to migrate Libretro PPSSPP core save files to its new location
Added RetroAchievements support for Arduboy, Dreamcast, Channel F, Coleco Vision, Mega Duck

### What has changed? ###

Updated RetroArch to v1.14.0
Updated SDL2 to v2.26.2
Updated most Libretro cores and standalone emulators to their latest version
Updated MAME - Current core (0.251 rom set)
Updated RetroRun for better system performance
Removed DOSBox SVN core in favor of DOSBox Core
Some improvements were done to RetroArch's GUI for RG552 (Battery support + proper UI scaling)
Set default deadzone for Raze, ECWolf, Mupen64plus standalone
Added m3u support for mplayer
Updated community shaders
Libretro PPSSPP core save files are now stored in the PPSSPP standalone folder /roms/gamedata/ppsspp
General system stability and performance improvements to enhance the user's experience

### Fixes: ###

Fixed SDL2 cursor issue on 640x480+ devices
Fixed anti-piracy detection on some PSP games
Fixed issue on the 351P where the audio was too low
Fixed issue with volume control not working
Fixed skip/back on mplayer with the 351P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dude reviews PS2 portable from super sketchy vendor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWZDLby3Cs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Is it like the GCN one that started smoking everywhere immediately

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Russ from RetroGameCorps says

"well all the windows handhelds are expensive so just get the cheapest Steam Deck and an SD card"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFxyHuh62oQ

Bourricot posted:

Apparently, the Mini uses an old BlackBerry screen which is only getting harder to source. The soon to be released Mini+ uses a slightly bigger screen and should not suffer the same issue.

Edit: Reddit has a size comparison

RG35XX, Mini+, Mini
Yeah that Mini+ looks like it's using the same 3.5" screen as the RG 35xx and others, it's no longer really a mini but it makes sense since that supply of unused Blackberry screens couldn't last forever

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is it like the GCN one that started smoking everywhere immediately

The motherboard is loose inside the case, it’s got 20 made in china stickers on it and the d-pad was jank.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

coconono posted:

The motherboard is loose inside the case, it’s got 20 made in china stickers on it and the d-pad was jank.

So yes but slightly less home fire causing

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Got DOSBox working on the 280v now. That wasn't the hard part, the hard part was spending a full day figuring out a method of auto-organizing keymap files to make stuff actually playable, but it's possible.

I am oddly compelled to probe the limits of what I can cram into this thing.

e: God drat, Grim Fandango is chugging pretty badly but it's working

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

e: God drat, Grim Fandango is chugging pretty badly but it's working

Sounds like how I played EFMI..and the PS2 version of it, lol

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Can anyone confirm if the gyro in the 353M is sufficient to play WarioWare: Twisted and Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble reasonably well?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I know there's at least a mod out there to make Twisted work with the shoulder buttons.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah and you can beat pokemon with random button presses but why would you want to?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Miyoo are ending production of the Mini, next batch will be the last because they can't get any more screens. So time to probably give up if you've been after one and wait for the Mini+.
https://twitter.com/GameboyJuntaro/status/1621244576479719424

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

njsykora posted:

Miyoo are ending production of the Mini, next batch will be the last because they can't get any more screens. So time to probably give up if you've been after one and wait for the Mini+.
https://twitter.com/GameboyJuntaro/status/1621244576479719424

Aw man. I know they're just gonna make more Mini+'s but... I'm having second thoughts. What if 3.5" turns out to be actually too big, you know? :ohdear:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Just how tiny are you guys? I broke down and got a rg353v a bit ago, perfectly pocketable and 3.5" remains the smallest screen I'd ever wanna stare at.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm a tiny tiny man. My toes are literally the size of pieces of rice.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Pictured: literally me

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They probably can find more sub 3" IPS screens. It's just that they are not the same as the Blackberry screen so they can't call it the Miyoo mini and will have to give it a new model number. Miyoo nano or whatever.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RIP the Miyoo Mini, about to become a collector's item because all those sweet blackberry screens done plum run out

Russ from Retro Game Corps' updated Anbernic RG35XX review now that it has Garlic OS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLRWEooqd8

zzMisc posted:

Just how tiny are you guys? I broke down and got a rg353v a bit ago, perfectly pocketable and 3.5" remains the smallest screen I'd ever wanna stare at.
Oh anything the size of a gameboy pocket or smaller can be reasonably considered "pocketable" but there is a real difference in size between the mini and all these 3.5" screen competitors, that 2.8" screen made a real difference.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 3, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

looking at all those and it makes me wonder how many of those things are the product of "poo poo I made too many buttons/screens/shells guess I'll make a gamebox" or calculated overages intended to make a gamebox.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got a 35XX and imo it's as small as a handheld could be while still remaining usable, I already have to interlace my fingers at the back to hold it comfortably so the idea of anything smaller seems untenable. I am a tall dude though so how this sits in my hands could be roughly on scale with an average size individual holding a miyoo mini.

The screen on these is really good, nice and crisp for 16 bit stuff and I don't notice the scaling when it comes to gameboy etc. The viewing angle is also one of the best I've seen on any platform, the screen almost looks like it's printed on from how little the image gets affected when the screen is tilted.

GarlicOS is necessary though, the base OS is laggy and ugly and almost unbelievable they would release it in that state, but this is also my first abernic product and may just be par for the course.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Gym Leader Barack posted:

GarlicOS is necessary though, the base OS is laggy and ugly and almost unbelievable they would release it in that state, but this is also my first abernic product and may just be par for the course.

Stock OS on the 280V is pretty embarrassing too. I'd favorably call it "usable", were it not for the fact it just plain fails to run 90% of the games I try on it.

Then again, I've discovered that Adam apparently can't run headerless NES games, or any romhacks dependent on them, i.e. SMB3Mix. So that's... interesting.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are there any of these devices with a nintendo ds/3ds form factor and dual screens?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Are there any of these devices with a nintendo ds/3ds form factor

Yes.

quote:

and dual screens?

No

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Are there any of these devices with a nintendo ds/3ds form factor and dual screens?

If you want to play DS/3DS games, there's a seller in SA Mart who picks up Japanese DS and 3DS and resells them. The 3DS is easy to hack and the DS's come with Twilight Menu. Easiest way to experience the DS/3DS library IMO.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The 2DS XL honestly has a better screen than most of the pocket retro consoles anyways, even before you start talking about the fact that it's the DS hardware native, and DS flashcarts are cheap.

When I got a steam deck one of the things I was looking forward to doing was playing some of the 3DS backlog things I had on a less tiny screen, but the UX difference for the games that actively use both screens even just informatively, even before touchscreen stuff, is hard to understate-- and even for a console that was kind of famously underpowered, the emulators for the 3DS always seem to be on the stuttery side.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah 3DS emulation is enough of a pain in the rear end that if you're mostly interested in DS/3DS emulation you should just get a 3DS and hack it (I'm told it's really easy and anyone can do it) before their prices go properly stupid. Though as someone with a New 2DS I'd say look for the New 3DS non-XL personally. Without the rendering advantages you get from emulation some games look real ugly when blown up on a bigger screen.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a 3DS XL and a 2DS and honestly the weight difference in the top clamshell in the 2DS variation is pretty significant- enough that even early on the 3ds's hinge was getting noticably and worryingly loose.

Also worth noting is the "New" 2ds/3ds is a not-insignificant hardware upgrade under the hood, if you're buying old tech, and may affect your ability to play some games-- in addition to just better performance, some late 3ds games will just straight up refuse to play on the old hardware.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

With custom firmware you can also set it so older 3DS games can take advantage of the New 3DS' extra power, though it says it breaks things in some games I haven't seen anything break yet and it helps the games that have minor framerate dips remain stable.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

some late 3ds games will just straight up refuse to play on the old hardware.

This isn't actually much of an issue though, the New 3DS exclusive games aren't particularly essential as they're mostly the ports of Wii/Wii U/Switch games that aren't great on the system and also a specific New 3DS version of Minecraft that also isn't great.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah there's not a ton of them, it's just a worth-noting gotcha from Nintendo's recurring bad system naming conventions. These days I'd expect it to rear up more in a "someone said this retroarch core works great on the 3ds but this plays like poo poo, what gives" kind of situation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

njsykora posted:

With custom firmware you can also set it so older 3DS games can take advantage of the New 3DS' extra power, though it says it breaks things in some games I haven't seen anything break yet and it helps the games that have minor framerate dips remain stable.
I can tell you from personal experience that Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked will not even boot if you force N3DS clock speeds. Ironic, I know, and also that game is not particularly demanding even of the old 3DS hardware, so it's not a big deal.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I did a new 3ds hack while under a great many influences. It’s very easy. There’s a guide and a thread. It’s still the preferred way to experience the DS/3DS library.

I think GPD had a dual touchscreen deal but it was expensive and broke easily. The new dual touchscreen phones are also expensive and their ability to hack/root is presently limited. Not to mention the android emulator is still very experimental.

I spent a couple weekends delving the secrets of android bootloader unlocking because it’d be neat to turn my pile of lovely phones into game boxes. What I learned was any phone that goes through a US carrier including super budget like tracphone kink their phones in such a way the bootloader will never be unlockable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ll wait for Analogue’s FPGA based 3DS in 2035.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I kinda like the idea of a dual screen Windows based handheld. Partly for DS/3DS emulation, but also being able to multitask while playing PC games on a handheld seems kinda neat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taki did a video about the PSP in 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxKjhrucfA

I still really love my PSP.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

njsykora posted:

Yeah 3DS emulation is enough of a pain in the rear end
Is it? The one time I tried Citra it seemed just fine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Taki did a video about the PSP in 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxKjhrucfA

I still really love my PSP.

I love the PSP form factor and how light it is, has a really good library of games too including a ton of exclusives that never got ported elsewhere

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I much prefer the PSP form than the vita. Every time I see the vita I want to throw up. Can't explain it.

Hopefully Retroid Pocket or whoever make a new console that rip off the PSP.

Also, that guy who always hacked the PSP right after the Sony released a new firmware, that guy was a legend.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I much prefer the PSP form than the vita. Everything I see the vita I want to throw up. Can't explain it.

In my case at least it’s the libraries. A lot more games on the VITA were a PITA to play, because they were trying to be regular console games on the go, rather than something designed around the limitations of the form factor.

Dual sticking without grips is a horrible idea, imho. But the VITA is a v good PSP.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I really liked the psp go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Azubah posted:

I really liked the psp go

Hell yeah. I love mine too.

I'm moving soon so I'm going to see about getting display stands for some of these consoles I have.