Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dracula vladdy AF posted:

sometimes I remember this and just shake my head. just a total curve ball and the only "hints" for it are radio broadcasts that I don't get the impression many players actually heard. even with those though it's still poo poo, I wonder if the writer was just really, really depressed or something

The game is structured off of the Book of Revelation. The deputy is basically Jesus (with 12 disciples) and the cult heads are the four horsemen. The ending aligns perfectly with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
FarCry 6's ending pissed me off for different reasons. Your allies behave in the dumbest ways in every big cutscene moment and there's no player choice in any part. So one mission you're sneaking around an island with instant game over if you're detected and 15 minutes later the people you were sneaking around for get killed in a cutscene anyway, to save someone else.

And that triggers the big finale in the capital and that person also gets killed in the cutscene and you were probably better off taking the secret ending (where you take a plane/boat and escape to Miami early, and get everyone killed).

orcane has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Feb 4, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Does the game ever introduce enemies that only take damage when you attack on best? Because if not, skipping it because of a potential rhythm requirement is like not playing Uncharted or Titanfall 2 or any other third person shooter because you don't think you can land headshots for 13 hours in a row.

No, they do not. They do introduce an enemy type and boss fight in one level where you need to Space Channel 5/Parappa the Rapper what it tells you to do in response, but on normal difficulty you need like 80%? or less success rate to progress each round of it with generous checkpointing. Tough enemies can also do that minigame, but you can parry the minigame, jump over it, be out of range, or just deal damage too fast for them to try that maneuver.

The highest difficulty, unlocked only with NG+, does require you to both be incredibly precise with your inputs to hit the rhythm and not allow you to fall below a D ranking in score but like, you signed up for extra rules to punish you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The benefits of attacking and parrying on beat become so great on higher difficulties that you'll naturally want to become more accurate, but I mashed through Normal with like 60% accuracy on my first run and didn't encounter any roadblocks minus learning the final boss fight.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

The game is structured off of the Book of Revelation. The deputy is basically Jesus (with 12 disciples) and the cult heads are the four horsemen. The ending aligns perfectly with that.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and oh poo poo were his monologues bad

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

They really screwed up on the radio hints, as they only show up if you are in a vehicle in between missions. From what I remember, any special vehicle or cult vehicle doesn't work. FC5 was just a mess.
I don't think I ever heard one until I did a side-mission to setup/fix radio towers to get an outside connection. And ever after that it was rare to hear one. But I do remember hearing some news about flaring nuclear tension.

orcane posted:

And that triggers the big finale in the capital and that person also gets killed in the cutscene and you were probably better off taking the secret ending (where you take a plane/boat and escape to Miami early, and get everyone killed).
From what I did by accident, you can trigger it anytime by flying/boating to the edge of the game world.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think after the first island you can take a boat or aircraft and escape anytime, it's even discussed as an option on the boat trip from tutorial island to the rebel HQ.

And yeah I also triggered it accidentally while flying around.

orcane has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Feb 4, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I appreciate that option, personally. You can just leave.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At the very least I thought Far Cry 6's stuff with the son of the villain was interesting. I was kind of rooting for the kid because he was clearly trying his best to not be anything like his horrible father.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone is Far Cry 6 ever say something like "pretty crazy someone nuked Montana a few years ago" ?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally started playing monster hunter rise and quit before finishing the tutorial, as hilarious as that is. It's worse than World! You can't even access your options menu until you talk to half a dozen NPCs, and they keep telling you about all this stuff you'll be able to, eventually, interact with and do while not letting you do anything but walk five feet and talk to the next person. What's that, we're going to tell you about all the cool DLC poo poo? gently caress you! Go talk to another NPC, every NPC will just tell you to talk to that NPC. I just want to hunt monsters!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I finally started playing monster hunter rise and quit before finishing the tutorial, as hilarious as that is. It's worse than World! You can't even access your options menu until you talk to half a dozen NPCs, and they keep telling you about all this stuff you'll be able to, eventually, interact with and do while not letting you do anything but walk five feet and talk to the next person. What's that, we're going to tell you about all the cool DLC poo poo? gently caress you! Go talk to another NPC, every NPC will just tell you to talk to that NPC. I just want to hunt monsters!

Every one of those tutorial windows that pop up during the walk-and-talk (and any that show up later) get added into your hunter's notes so you can check them later at any time. You can just mash through the dialogue and bang out the two wirebug intro missions in like five minutes, then read whatever you can't figure out whenever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I guess, but having to walk around town talking to NPCs, even if I'm skipping all the dialogue, is really annoying. At least world dropped you into the game world before talking at you forever.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I guess, but having to walk around town talking to NPCs, even if I'm skipping all the dialogue, is really annoying. At least world dropped you into the game world before talking at you forever.

Yeah, fair. It's not a frequent thing if that helps. I think you have to do it once more near the start of Sunbreak when they intro the new town, but that's it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

At least I'll have played the game before sunbreak! They even lock you out of poo poo like the options menu so if something's wrong with the game you can't fix it until you finish the tutorial unless you want to go all the way back to the title screen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nuebot posted:

At least I'll have played the game before sunbreak! They even lock you out of poo poo like the options menu so if something's wrong with the game you can't fix it until you finish the tutorial unless you want to go all the way back to the title screen.

Ugh, I've seen that a few times and it's the most stupidly annoying design choice. I don't care if you want to be immersive or cinematic or whatever, just respect my time as the end user of your product.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, I've seen that a few times and it's the most stupidly annoying design choice. I don't care if you want to be immersive or cinematic or whatever, just respect my time as the end user of your product.

It was especially annoying because the very first tutorial popup tells you about changing your controls in the options menu. Which you can't do, because the options menu is disabled.

EDIT: so having gone back to finish the tutorial and play it a bit more, I'm just going to uninstall it and say Rise loving sucks. They crippled your base mobility to force you to use the new mobility mechanic, except your little silk step thing has incredibly limited uses and while they don't take too long to recharge, it's absolutely not worth the fact that the game feels like you're playing underwater compared to World, while basically every early game monster feels like you're fighting Barioth for how much they blast around the arena shooting projectiles at you. Great Swords in particular are basically hamstrung, you can't alter the trajectory of your charge anymore and they added a really weird delay - only like one second, if that - after you sheath your sword before you can draw it again to attack which makes even basic combat feel awful, and monsters are barely stunned long enough to get your big attacks off, so I can only imagine how miserable it's going to be trying to play anything past the early game content.

But the asinine thing that put me over the edge and just made me give up, was that you can't add items to the item bar anymore I guess? In World there were two item menus, your radial menu and your item bar. I never really liked using the radial menu, it just didn't feel comfortable to me; I kept my important items on the item bar where they were all one or two quick taps away from one another. But in Rise, you still have an item bar. But for some useless reason, it's just filled with poo poo like the camera. So you have no choice but to use the radial menu, and I'm probably just exceptionally bad; but I have a hard time playing the game when I have to hold L1, move my character with the analog stick and negotiate the radial menu with the right stick, on top of the fact that inexplicably the radial menu only takes up a tiny portion of your screen while the rest of your screen just darkens, making it harder to see what's going on slightly.

The game just feels like poo poo, coming off of world, and every new addition is only frustrating rather than fun. Like Spiribirds. I sure do love losing all the cool options for buffing and prep I had before, and instead now just have to roam the map looking for birds that give me buffs for that mission.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Feb 5, 2023

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As a follow-up to my previous post, I finally finished Spyro (the first game, I mean). 11 hours, all achievements, 120% completion.

The flying levels actually weren't too bad. I ended up needing to consult a guide, but once I knew the route to follow, completing those levels proved relatively painless. Platform gliding never got much better though. Treetops in particular gave me several game overs. On a less frustrating note, though still disappointing, I found most of the bosses lackluster.

But overall I liked it. It was about as much fun as I can remember, playing it at my friend's house (though I never got past Magic Crafters back in the day). I know basically nothing about Ripto or Year, and look forward to playing them without expectations (though I do know a lot of people really like Ripto).

Last Celebration posted:

the flying isn’t actually 1:1 with the PS1 versions, iirc the Reignited trilogy had a troubled development and it’s a small miracle the game mostly functions pretty well aside from that (since you get the hover move in 2/3 to make up the difference). Still a shame though, clearly a lot of love went into those remasters even if they don’t have perfect parity with the old versions.
I see. That's too bad. When I heard about all the dragon redesigns, I knew they were committed, but I was avoiding Activision products at the time (and still am, technically; I got this as part of a charity bundle).

sephiRoth IRA posted:

All told I really enjoyed the spyro trilogy. 3 brings that pixel clipping jank the worst imo, but the level design and art are fantastic and super nostalgic
I'm going into the rest of it blind. Here's hoping I find it as good as advertised.

Solenna posted:

If you're falling to your doom you can pause and exit the level. The flying levels in the remake are super frustrating, I remember getting them all as a kid and being completely shut down in the new ones. And I'm reasonably sure it's not just me.

Still, the remakes are beautiful and the first two are still a lot of fun. The best description I've heard is the remake looks like what you remember Sypro looking like if you played it as a kid, not what it actually looked like.
That's a neat trick, but unfortunately for me, exiting the level was rarely a workaround. The jumps I struggled the most with I appreciated being teleported back to the launch point.

moosecow333 posted:

Ive found that charging into a jump then gliding out of that has helped with the gliding in Spyro 1 a lot.

Some of those jumps are still very precise though, and with no flutter you can’t be too far off.
Of the 11 hours I sunk into this game, Treetops pretty much took an entire hour by itself for this exact reason.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Games that a) don't let you access settings before starting on a first playthrough, and b) don't change sound settings until after the "Press button to start" screen because they save the settings to your forced-online profile. Your poo poo is too loud, let me turn it down before you start blasting words in my headphones please?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Along those lines, games that helpfully let you adjust the volume of every aspect of the audio, except for the sound in the intro animations which is tuned to blow out your speakers and scare you every time.
I'm looking at you, Forza Horizon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If your game starts with a cinematic and you don't have subtitles auto-enabled. Psycho killer behavior.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Does anyone is Far Cry 6 ever say something like "pretty crazy someone nuked Montana a few years ago" ?

One of the DLCs implies that Pagan Min, from the fourth game, is the one who has nukes targeting Montana.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

Along those lines, games that helpfully let you adjust the volume of every aspect of the audio, except for the sound in the intro animations which is tuned to blow out your speakers and scare you every time.
I'm looking at you, Forza Horizon.

This pisses me off so much. They also have a narrator yelling "Welcome to Forza Horizon" at max volume every time and it's not affected by the toggle to disable narrator.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

On the other hand, the Resident Evil announcer being 100db louder than anything else in the game every time you hit start is just what the doctor ordered.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally made my way into Elden Ring after knocking out the DS trilogy and my god is it ever great. Totally worthy of the hype.

It eliminates so many things that bugged me about DS1, 2, 3. It has checkpoints for bosses, a way to go somewhere else other than where you've already been when you're getting crushed, pretty clear waypoints (a MAP!), easy to understand weapon and item menus, and what seems like rather difficult to break NPC side quests. Game loving owns and I can't get enough of it.

But gently caress me changing the "interact" button to Y/Triangle has bit me in the rear end hundreds of times and the button combo for two handing is weird.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

JackSplater posted:

Games that a) don't let you access settings before starting on a first playthrough, and b) don't change sound settings until after the "Press button to start" screen because they save the settings to your forced-online profile. Your poo poo is too loud, let me turn it down before you start blasting words in my headphones please?

Elden Ring.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Finally made my way into Elden Ring after knocking out the DS trilogy and my god is it ever great. Totally worthy of the hype.

It eliminates so many things that bugged me about DS1, 2, 3. It has checkpoints for bosses, a way to go somewhere else other than where you've already been when you're getting crushed, pretty clear waypoints (a MAP!), easy to understand weapon and item menus, and what seems like rather difficult to break NPC side quests. Game loving owns and I can't get enough of it.

But gently caress me changing the "interact" button to Y/Triangle has bit me in the rear end hundreds of times and the button combo for two handing is weird.

I’m willing to deal with the new controls for an actually good, not steaming rear end jump attack, but yeah they sure tripped me up a bunch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Elden Ring still has the typical From issue of obscure and poorly explained quests with the added problem of them being in a huge open world with a progression that often doesn't even correlate to where the player would naturally be in terms of level and difficulty. The good news is that you can't break most of them until almost the end of the story so if you're still stuck on something by the time you get past the royal capital that would be a good time to look up a guide as to where you're supposed to go next.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm following a guide for them and I have no idea how you'd figure almost any of this poo poo out. Especially before they patched in the map markers for NPCs.

Though right now I'm feeling particularly soured on Liurnia. It's too big, too spread out, and all of the side content is awkwardly laid out. Even just getting your hands on all three map chunks takes concerted effort.

Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula had a good flow to them, but with Liurnia it's constantly felt like I'm doing something wrong or missing something obvious.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flat Eye is dragged down by being an underbaked mess. It's like its finished but missing about 6 months of playtesting. Too much grind, elements that feel weirdly out of order and just outright broken gameplay elements which is a shame because the design, premise, story and characters all sorta work.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I'm following a guide for them and I have no idea how you'd figure almost any of this poo poo out. Especially before they patched in the map markers for NPCs.

Though right now I'm feeling particularly soured on Liurnia. It's too big, too spread out, and all of the side content is awkwardly laid out. Even just getting your hands on all three map chunks takes concerted effort.

Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula had a good flow to them, but with Liurnia it's constantly felt like I'm doing something wrong or missing something obvious.

Some of it's obvious, if you obsessively check in with NPCs a few of them tell you what to do next. But most of it's just a matter of wandering around and bumbling your poo poo into the next quest point. Placing your own map markers helped a lot.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
The little obelisks on the map are where the maps are

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuebot posted:

Some of it's obvious, if you obsessively check in with NPCs a few of them tell you what to do next. But most of it's just a matter of wandering around and bumbling your poo poo into the next quest point. Placing your own map markers helped a lot.

I actually managed to find Hyetta all over Liurnia just by naturally exploring but yeah I can imagine it sucking if you miss her.

The fog also makes it real easy to miss both Rya and her pointing you just like 100m north to Boggart up ahead of her.

Patches and Varre are in Liurnia too! Patches is by an easy to miss (at least for me) site of grace. Varre is a bit more obvious since he's by a nasty-looking church that you'd naturally poke around to see if there's something useful in there or if it's just there to annoy you.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

One of the DLCs implies that Pagan Min, from the fourth game, is the one who has nukes targeting Montana.

Wouldn't America just flatten Paganministahn if they launched nukes at Montana? What possible motive could he have for nuking Montana? It's like if Madagacar invaded New Mexico.Why am I spending more time thinking about this then the writers did

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Wouldn't America just flatten Paganministahn if they launched nukes at Montana? What possible motive could he have for nuking Montana?

They know what they did :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My assumption is that the Far Cry game which ends with the apocalypse isn't set in the same universe as the ones which don't

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What possible motive could he have for nuking Montana?

The BBC just had articles this week where they talked about the spy balloon peeping on our nukes in Montana.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Duvel posted:

The little obelisks on the map are where the maps are

I'm well aware. What I didn't realize until Liurnia is that there's an additional layer of fog of war to clear that obscures the obelisk markers, and Liurnia's are quite spread out. Hell, when you first get to Liurnia the map is still scrunched in to extra obfuscate the west half.

bewilderment posted:

I actually managed to find Hyetta all over Liurnia just by naturally exploring but yeah I can imagine it sucking if you miss her.

The fog also makes it real easy to miss both Rya and her pointing you just like 100m north to Boggart up ahead of her.

Patches and Varre are in Liurnia too! Patches is by an easy to miss (at least for me) site of grace. Varre is a bit more obvious since he's by a nasty-looking church that you'd naturally poke around to see if there's something useful in there or if it's just there to annoy you.

Hyetta is pretty reasonable, yeah. Though she's got a stuck point where after you get her the third grape you need to be sure to fully exhaust her dialogue and it takes a reload to force her along.

The Patches/Rya/Boggart triangle was definitely the main thing pissing me off. Needing to wander through the foggy lake just kind of hoping to come across stuff is obnoxious. And there's so many random clusters of poison barnacles guarding nothing and other such wastes of time inbetween. I feel like the map exists in this quantum state where half the time it hints or even spells stuff out really, really obviously (almost every gazebo in the lake is clearly visible) and then the other half of the time it's baffling and vague (is this particular cliff something I'm supposed to platform down/wind vent up or is it just death or is it just empty space or...).

Though on that note, another new annoyance from today's exploration/quest progression: The janky situation with the Village of the Albinaurics where it exists under the map. (And the area actually visible on the map is itself only accessible through indirect means with no hint or clue of that being the case.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bewilderment posted:

I never found patches in Liurnia, I did find him in a third location though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The Far Cry 5 ending hits a lot different if you're playing as a woman, I'll say that. :ohdear: