Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

In an ideal world, the real classics would get a graphical facelift while not really touching all of the things that made the game good. But because remasters/remakes are driven primarily by publishers, not developers, they usually don't go well.

Normally I agree with this take but there are a couple games I think there's an exception to, like Minstrel Song or Okami HD, which are just widescreened versions of the originals but made compatible with modern systems and hardware. Just a port with a couple of perks, I'm not even sure they increased the resolution on the original assets.

Could I emulate them? Yes. But a direct-port remaster is like streaming services before they started to suck rear end: it's an easy, and completely legal, way to enjoy the thing you liked in the past. If I wanted to play Okami halfway legally otherwise, I'd have to reconnect my dvd drive and fire up the ol Nero Burning Rom to rip my old disc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Sliggtly off topic Okami is boring garbage it's nuts that the game gets so much acclaim

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Sliggtly off topic Okami is boring garbage it's nuts that the game gets so much acclaim

:emptyquote:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
But it's ~~cel shaded~~!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
I was so stoked about Auto Modellista, my mom bought it for me for my birthday, and 3 days later I traded it at gamestop because, while cel-shaded race cars looked cool, the driving model in that game was straight up TRASH

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MrQwerty posted:

I was so stoked about Auto Modellista, my mom bought it for me for my birthday, and 3 days later I traded it at gamestop because, while cel-shaded race cars looked cool, the driving model in that game was straight up TRASH

Apparently there were 2 different physics sets depending on which version you had. It's a shame because that game looked so cool

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Jesus you are an absolute bellend.

You should be nicer to people and talk about video games in the video game opinions thread. Just a thought.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 5, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Cell Shade Games except for Wind Walker look like trash to me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Xiii looked pretty good and used the style well.

The original, not the remake or the remake of the remake

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MrQwerty posted:

Quoted for truth

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I say as somebody who recently looked at some Elite Beat Agents videos. 3 2 1

That song.

Just saying that and everyone who played EBA knows exactly what I'm talking about.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

fridge corn posted:

Quoted for truth

Love stop-go pause racing and cars that feel like they're going 20 at 100

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People acting like Okami was an overlooked masterpiece marketed wrong got real quiet after the PS4/Bone era port because suddenly everyone could find out it had a lot of issues counterbalancing its bits of creativity.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

That song.

Just saying that and everyone who played EBA knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeah I'm a big Avril Lavigne fan too.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Okami owns and all of you are nuts.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I got some nuts for all of you...RIGHT HERE!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ah poo poo, I left them in the car. I'm really sorry.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I played Okami at launch as a high schooler and I remember even back then it felt like a drag. The drawing thing was a total gimmick. The art was incredible though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Okami’s praise came almost entirely from desperately coping Sony console warriors who wanted to say the PlayStation 2 had a Zelda. Much like Tales of Symphonia for the GameCube JRPG scene.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vandar posted:

Okami owns and all of you are nuts.

okami is kind of junk in various places. it's charming, it's pretty, it's not that good. i enjoy it more than it objectively deserves, but when people say okami is bad im like ya its bad

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Okami is bad only because it takes like 5 hours for the game to even begin.

Then the rest is typical (if not gorgeous) PS2 game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Okami’s praise came almost entirely from desperately coping Sony console warriors who wanted to say the PlayStation 2 had a Zelda. Much like Tales of Symphonia for the GameCube JRPG scene.

Wasn't that the Twilight Princess era though? Why would they care about having their own version of a bad game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does Okami have dungeons? I played about an hour and got bored.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Killer7 was underrated, in my opinion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Does Okami have dungeons? I played about an hour and got bored.

It does, but they're honestly not very interesting. Or very many of them honestly, there are 4(?) in its 20 hour+ run time, yet somehow you'll fight one egregiously long boss 3 times in the game because if it was bad once, it'll definitely be fun two more times!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Okami should not get voice acting if it's ever remastered.

edit: Oh, again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Okami should not get voice acting if it's ever remastered.

Im trying to imagine the voice actor trying to speak at the same speed as the original text boxes and I may have found the ultimate sleep aid.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bismack Billabongo posted:

great art, engagingly weird as gently caress, heads in washing machines, what's not to love???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

great art, engagingly weird as gently caress, heads in washing machines, what's not to love???

Gameplay can be a bit wonky and its got an interesting yet pretty dull punishment for losing battles.

Loved it, mind you, but theres no doubts in my mind why it wasnt a smash hit

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Barudak posted:

Gameplay can be a bit wonky and its got an interesting yet pretty dull punishment for losing battles.

Loved it, mind you, but theres no doubts in my mind why it wasnt a smash hit

I ain't playing a game for the loving gameplay

hack poo poo right there

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I play games for the engaging stories. Video games are a great medium for storytelling and some of them easily reach the same quality and emotional impact as mov-ahahahaha

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Most movies have garbage stories too

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Most movies have garbage stories too

this is very true

Barudak
May 7, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I play games for the engaging stories. Video games are a great medium for storytelling and some of them easily reach the same quality and emotional impact as mov-ahahahaha

After watching Hercules (1983, Canon Films) I would be hard pressed to name games that dont reach the same quality and emotional impact as movies.

This, however, hinges on us accepting that Hercules (1983, Canon Films) counts as a movie rather than an accidentally released tech demo.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

Wasn't that the Twilight Princess era though? Why would they care about having their own version of a bad game

That era also had the beloved wind waker and master quest. It has less to do with whether the last individual entry on the system was the best than the console warriors need for their chosen system to not be lacking in some field. Nintendo fans always wanted a game to prove they also had JRPGs. Everyone without an Xbox wanted a “Halo Killer”. No one wants to feel they purchased the “inferior” product.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Barudak posted:

After watching Hercules (1983, Canon Films) I would be hard pressed to name games that dont reach the same quality and emotional impact as movies.

This, however, hinges on us accepting that Hercules (1983, Canon Films) counts as a movie rather than an accidentally released tech demo.

I was more of a Red Sonja guy in the 80s and that movie also sucked tremendously

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Killer7 was amazing and the narrative has a billion layers to it, it's legit one of the most complex videogame narratives ever made

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Killer7 also has the most intense stair climbing music ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJO8uo3UMko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

galagazombie posted:

. No one wants to feel they purchased the “inferior” product.

This is how we ended up with "gods perfect console" or whatever ridiculousness they call it.