Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

During a c.2000 episode of Talk Soup or the Daily Show, I remember a clip of a very southern, backwoods gentleman describing an animal encounter. You expected simple language, but he used "docile" a few times and maybe another unexpected but accurately used term and yet was an idiot in every other regard. I'm pretty sure the clip was scripted.

Regardless, anyone familiar with this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
When I was a kid I had a VHS of the cartoon G-Force. It was another English dub of Japanese show Gatchaman (the others being Battle of the Planets and Eagle Riders). G-Force had a darker tone than the camp BotP, and the VHS I owned had two episodes "The Space Terrapin" and "The Space Mummy". The Mummy episode was particularly atmospheric and I'd love to watch it again, but I can only find the terrible BotP version of the episodes.

E: the G-Force episodes are called

The Robot Stegosaur (#1. Gatchaman vs. Turtle King)

The Blast at the Bottom of the Sea (#2. The Evil Ghostly Aircraft Carrier)

The Strange White Shadow (#3. The Giant Mummy that Calls Storms)

So maybe that'll help me with my search terms.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 21, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When I was a kid I had a VHS of the cartoon G-Force. It was another English dub of Japanese show Gatchaman (the others being Battle of the Planets and Eagle Riders). G-Force had a darker tone than the camp BotP, and the VHS I owned had two episodes "The Space Terrapin" and "The Space Mummy". The Mummy episode was particularly atmospheric and I'd love to watch it again, but I can only find the terrible BotP version of the episodes.

E: the G-Force episodes are called

The Robot Stegosaur (#1. Gatchaman vs. Turtle King)

The Blast at the Bottom of the Sea (#2. The Evil Ghostly Aircraft Carrier)

The Strange White Shadow (#3. The Giant Mummy that Calls Storms)

So maybe that'll help me with my search terms.

Here's the Turtle robot episode on Dailymotion:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8h6xe9
The rest are probably there as well.

E: switched to a link with English subtitles :sweatdrop:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 21, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

they want that one specific dub tho

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hexwren posted:

they want that one specific dub tho

Ah okay.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmjeX9awBU

E: here's a better link for ep 1
https://archive.org/details/g-force-guardians-of-space
Unfortunately they have almost all the episodes except 2 and 3

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 21, 2023

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Awesome, thank you for finding it 😊

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's also several listing on eBay for 2003 DVD release which is apparently the first 3 episodes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/383616326215

There's also a bunch of listings for the VHS release but for some reason every single one is for volume 3 and there's not a single one for the one you had. :sweatdrop:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 21, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This has to be easy, as I cannot believe I am unable to find it, but I watched a YouTube video of a British comedy show of some sort where a police sergeant was laying in to his staff for someone having stolen the heroin from the evidence room, and the punchline is incredibly obvious that he accuses the wrong person but the officer who stole it somehow made such an amazingly hilarious face that I would go back and re-watch the sketch every few weeks. And of course now no matter what search terms I use in my YouTube history nothing is coming up, and searching Google for it, even if I search COMEDY SHOW with the terms it just brings me actual articles about heroin use in England.

I last watched this no more than a few months ago, and the film quality looked fairly recent; I cannot believe this is at all challenging to find

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

This has to be easy, as I cannot believe I am unable to find it, but I watched a YouTube video of a British comedy show of some sort where a police sergeant was laying in to his staff for someone having stolen the heroin from the evidence room, and the punchline is incredibly obvious that he accuses the wrong person but the officer who stole it somehow made such an amazingly hilarious face that I would go back and re-watch the sketch every few weeks. And of course now no matter what search terms I use in my YouTube history nothing is coming up, and searching Google for it, even if I search COMEDY SHOW with the terms it just brings me actual articles about heroin use in England.

I last watched this no more than a few months ago, and the film quality looked fairly recent; I cannot believe this is at all challenging to find

Not British but Australian, was it Crackermilk?

https://youtu.be/6rZxa3XGcF8

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jumpsuit posted:

Not British but Australian, was it Crackermilk?

https://youtu.be/6rZxa3XGcF8
Well that explains it, how can I call myself a Mad Max fan if I did not realize they were Australian? Thanks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Crosspostin’ at the recommendation of goons -

Howdy, friends.

I'm searching for a "Shreds" video that seemingly disappeared from the internet when Youtube suddenly cracked down on copyright bullshit almost a decade ago. This is what I mean by a "shreds" video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJZ2OaWIhbo

That video in particular had somewhere around a million views originally, until the original got swatted down.

The artist of the shreds video I've been trying to find for years is Dream Theater, with the song being "The Dark Eternal Night." It uses footage from this session, but with more than the drums -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHhx3yymJ4

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Sometime last year I saw a parody music festival poster (it looked similar to something for Coachella or Reading Festival) which was called something like ‘festival lineups when you’re in your 30s’. The idea was that you’re too old to recognise any of the bands anymore and it’s all just nonsense to you now. I think it was on Reddit but I have no idea where and I’ve never been able to find it since.

Googling just gives me results for the ‘when we were young’ festival which isn’t helpful. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Creature posted:

Sometime last year I saw a parody music festival poster (it looked similar to something for Coachella or Reading Festival) which was called something like ‘festival lineups when you’re in your 30s’. The idea was that you’re too old to recognise any of the bands anymore and it’s all just nonsense to you now. I think it was on Reddit but I have no idea where and I’ve never been able to find it since.

Googling just gives me results for the ‘when we were young’ festival which isn’t helpful. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?
It could have been someone repurposing the infamous claimed "AI-generated" Coachella lineup poster:

https://botnik.org/content/coachella.html?utm_content=buffera39fd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Holy crap, I've been trying to find this this song again for over 20 years. I legit almost had a heart attack when it showed up on shuffle in a random 5000 song Spotify playlist a little bit ago. It's not THAT good and I doubt it means anything to anyone else, but i still like it and am so glad to actually get to hear it again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB0bXXp6_nQ

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A video from early in covid where a guy is going about his day in lockdown and keeps triggering the dancing coffin guys song. The song kicks in and he quickly puts his mask on to make it stop, a few other little scenes like that, and a punchline I cannot remember.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A word request: I saw a word recently that I'd never seen before and thought it was a misspelling or some sort of trendy portmanteau but it had an actual dictionary(.com...) definition and everything. I can't quite remember it. I think it was something to do with a lousy student, or academic or even a writer. I'm familiar with poetaster and tried googling it along those lines and I've also googled "synonym for bad student" but that just comes up with synonyms for bad with student tacked on. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure these forums. I have too many threads to find it though

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hackfraud?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did it seem like it was of renaissance/enlightenment provenance like poetaster is?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think so but I've mostly forgotten it at this point.

Oh I am INTIMATELY familiar with hackfrauds

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Milo and POTUS posted:

A word request: I saw a word recently that I'd never seen before and thought it was a misspelling or some sort of trendy portmanteau but it had an actual dictionary(.com...) definition and everything. I can't quite remember it. I think it was something to do with a lousy student, or academic or even a writer. I'm familiar with poetaster and tried googling it along those lines and I've also googled "synonym for bad student" but that just comes up with synonyms for bad with student tacked on. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure these forums. I have too many threads to find it though

have you tried the phrontisery? https://phrontistery.info/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh man this is cool thanks.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Dilettante?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Stercectorian?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm just going to say the obvious one. It's not dunce right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nos all around. I think it's just gonna have to be something I rediscover in the wild. I hate it when this happens but I'd definitely remember it at a glance

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nos all around. I think it's just gonna have to be something I rediscover in the wild. I hate it when this happens but I'd definitely remember it at a glance

Hopefully it wasn't a hapax legomena and you stumble over it in some other context

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I'm trying to find a forum post from a while back but I don't remember the thread, might have been GBS. Can't have been earlier than like, 2015. The gist of it was some kind of thread about a rapper, maybe a mock thread. One of the posts was a bizarre screed about how this guy was actually "hard" and the only phrase I can recall that sticks out is "he had fakers shaking in their chains in Cali" or something similar which my brain has decided to play on repeat today for some reason.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I'm trying to find a hard-rocking, almost glam-metal version of the song "The Wheel" by Rosanne Cash. I heard it as a teenager, probably around 2004 or 2005. The chorus melody was altered (or maybe just shifted) so it now had a triumphant major-key sound, almost made it sound like the chorus to "Young Hearts" by Rod Stewart.

It might have been in a car or tire commercial, but I remember having the song on CD, but it wasn't something I bought or seeked out, I just had it because my mom worked in the music industry and through the 90s and 2000s record labels would send her like 10+ cds everyday, and I think I just picked it up out a pile (maybe it had a cool cover?)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

magic cactus posted:

I'm trying to find a forum post from a while back but I don't remember the thread, might have been GBS. Can't have been earlier than like, 2015. The gist of it was some kind of thread about a rapper, maybe a mock thread. One of the posts was a bizarre screed about how this guy was actually "hard" and the only phrase I can recall that sticks out is "he had fakers shaking in their chains in Cali" or something similar which my brain has decided to play on repeat today for some reason.

lol I hope you find it. God I need some levity today

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Milo and POTUS posted:

tyro?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

magic cactus posted:

ruddiger posted:

Game is an industry ho who was at one point on the same label as Em, of course he's going to dick ride the wave.

Grown men attacking women in songs is some bitch made little kid poo poo, and the only reason why Em went so hard on the females in his life is because he knew he couldn't play that tough talk poo poo with real dudes in the street. Game is also constantly getting his card pulled by other rappers for talking out of pocket. Little kids in Chicago had that grown man tucking his chain into his shirt when they flexed on him in Cali.

White dudes always gotta bring up Eminem when talking about anything involving rap music, poo poo's loving embarrassing.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 9, 2023

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Wow I totally misremembered that quote. That's the one! much obliged!

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 9, 2023

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

There's a goon who has an avatar of Buc-ee the gas station chain mascot, except he's a communist Chinese version with a red star on his hat. Anyone know the poster or where the avatar came from? I find it hilarious.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Scam Likely posted:

There's a goon who has an avatar of Buc-ee the gas station chain mascot, except he's a communist Chinese version with a red star on his hat. Anyone know the poster or where the avatar came from? I find it hilarious.

I want to say it's the poster Brutalist McDonalds but that's shaky... Thank you for ruining my day as I look for this avatar and inevitably don't find it!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I want to say it's the poster Brutalist McDonalds but that's shaky... Thank you for ruining my day as I look for this avatar and inevitably don't find it!

BrutMcD's current av is thsi:

.... but they used to have one that looked like this:

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

I told my girlfriend about this thread, and she asked me to ask the goons for some help finding a few things her family all remembers but they've never been able to track down.

The first one is a commercial that features pants riding motorcycles. Nobody is in the pants. She thinks that part of the jingle says "speedy motorcycles." I don't have much else to go off of on this one. edit: This was apparently this, which notably does not feature any pants riding motorcycles.

The second one is probably easier - she's looking for a scene from a movie where a character is talking to a sex doll and says something like "Do you condition every day? Or every other day?" She mentioned this may be from a blooper reel. Will Ferrell and Seann William Scott were names that her family has thrown around as possibilities.

Any help will absolutely make her day. Thank you for reading!

Pepper Crab fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 15, 2023

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm hoping for suggestions for sites/stores/etc. which can help me fill out my collection of silly but sexy calculators. These are my Sinclair Sovereigns:

It was a beautiful flop made in 1976 in five different styles and I'm missing the one circled in red -- the silver plated non-Jubilee edition:

It's my silver-plated whale. Odds are vanishingly slim that anyone reading this has one they're willing to sell (but if you do, plz PM me).

Instead, I'm looking for ideas about where I can look for this stupid thing. I've covered the usual suspects (eBay, Etsy, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist) and the less usual ones (Yahoo Japan auctions, Mercari). Are there any others I've somehow missed? Or am I best off just waiting until one pops up on the biggest platforms?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I'm hoping for suggestions for sites/stores/etc. which can help me fill out my collection of silly but sexy calculators. These are my Sinclair Sovereigns:

It was a beautiful flop made in 1976 in five different styles and I'm missing the one circled in red -- the silver plated non-Jubilee edition:

It's my silver-plated whale. Odds are vanishingly slim that anyone reading this has one they're willing to sell (but if you do, plz PM me).

Instead, I'm looking for ideas about where I can look for this stupid thing. I've covered the usual suspects (eBay, Etsy, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist) and the less usual ones (Yahoo Japan auctions, Mercari). Are there any others I've somehow missed? Or am I best off just waiting until one pops up on the biggest platforms?

Most likely to find Sinclair kit in the UK right? Gumtree, maybe some other small but local focused sites like that

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I want to know the story behind the Ford-branded one. They gave it to executives when calculators were seen as insane luxuries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

shame on an IGA posted:

Most likely to find Sinclair kit in the UK right? Gumtree, maybe some other small but local focused sites like that

Thanks! I'm largely clueless when it comes to localized services :negative:. I'll set up a search, although I guess I'll need a local mule to buy and ship it to me... Should be able to make that happen though.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I want to know the story behind the Ford-branded one. They gave it to executives when calculators were seen as insane luxuries?

Kinda! At least this when it comes to this specific calculator. The Sovereign was very much (supposed to be) a status symbol as Sinclair tried to move upmarket. They used stamped steel for the case, custom boxes and protective sleeves, red LEDs... I think they were trying to go all-out. As a result:

quote:

it cost between £30 and £60 at a time when other calculators could be purchased for under £5.

So while I don't know the history of that specific Ford-branded one, I absolutely believe some sales exec got it as an attaboy fhe for moving a record number of... Pintos or Fiestas or whatever the hell they were selling in '76.