Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Jabor posted:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/buying-products-and-services/receiving-unrequested-products-or-services is probably a good place to start with regards to what you can or cannot do with that unrequested second copy.

quote:

If the consumer:

contacts the business in writing, stating that they don’t want the products, then the business should collect the products within one month
doesn't contact the business, then the business may collect the products within 3 months.
The consumer can’t unreasonably refuse to allow the supplier to collect the products in these timeframes. The consumer may have to pay compensation if they deliberately damage the products during these timeframes.

This seems to imply I have a choice between
- contacting them and giving them a month to sort it out
- not contacting them and giving them three months to sort it out

But to be honest I don't want to have this huge unopenable box lying around my house so I'll just contact them.

[edit] also thanks for the links there! Good to know what my legal options/requirements are.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How the hell did something get freighted from Germany :psyduck:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

https://twitter.com/GreyGnomeGames/status/1621463968018567169?s=20&t=5so_Ze1RV5swj4eB7dsi6g

Another update on Grey Gnome Games. Hoping for the best for Jason and glad to see that people will still be able to get his games.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 3, 2023

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Infinitum posted:

How the hell did something get freighted from Germany :psyduck:

I have no loving clue. And to Perth of all places. The rear end-end of the world.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Honestly unless they're willing to pay to ship it back, I'd just flip it.
Easy $4-500 you'd be able to snag.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

They won't want it back.

The cost of shipping something that size and weight outside of a warehouse situation with agreed/preferential carrier rates will be more than it's worth, not to mention the "labour" cost of messing about to arrange it all.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anecdotally WWG accidentally sent extra copies of star realms nova, and they initially wanted the copies back, but I think they ran the numbers and gave up, saying enjoy your free dupe!

I gave the extra box I got to my coworker

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

There was a thread of at least 5-10 people who were getting frosthaven notifications from Germany DHL as well as their Aetherworks for Australian goods. I imagine all those people (and probably a bunch more) are going to be getting extra copies... Sounds like a fairly major fuckup?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Got my copy of Frosthaven today and so far the most difficult part of the game is getting the lid off of the box because it’s so ridiculously large. Pictures don’t really do it justice. It’s double the size of the gloomhaven box.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Saltpowered posted:

Got my copy of Frosthaven today and so far the most difficult part of the game is getting the lid off of the box because it’s so ridiculously large. Pictures don’t really do it justice. It’s double the size of the gloomhaven box.

Is it really? The Gloomhaven box is already oversized...

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Is it really? The Gloomhaven box is already oversized...

It's pretty close to double the size. Frosthaven is roughly 41,354 cubic CM (46x31x29cm). Gloomhaven was roughly 23,370 cubic CM (41x29x19cm)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

It's definitely a big bulky bastard

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Can you place it next to a PS5?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

bobvonunheil posted:

I have no loving clue. And to Perth of all places. The rear end-end of the world.

This happened to me recently as well on a poker chips project, the idiots sent the wrong lists if people to fulfil to their AU and EU distribution, and as the EU distribution was doing rest of the world they didn't think twice about the fact they were sending packages to Australia when they were also doing like South Africa

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I saw iss vanguard in store, it's a big boy.... How's the solo components? I'm still kind of tempted...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone who used to enjoy MOBAs & Frozen Synapse, I really want Guards of Atlantis II. It seems like the perfect mash-up between those two games-- the team based objective play of MOBA with the round based simultaneous action selection & execution based on initiative of Frozen Synapse.

It wasn't on my radar at all during the first Kickstarter, but that seems like a good thing, because it gearing up for a second Kickstarter that will include an improved box with a better inbuilt storage solution.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I saw iss vanguard in store, it's a big boy.... How's the solo components? I'm still kind of tempted...

Given that the main mechanic is just 'roll dice, play cards to alter', it's extremely easy to handle two characters at once (which is the minimum you can play with). I haven't tried doing a 4-character exploration phase, but I suspect it would be fine too.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got to try Atiwa, pretty chill game to play and I liked the conservation/sustainability angle. Plus, fruit bats are cool.

It's essentially a lot of resource conversion as one builds and feeds a community, but there's a tempo to it that helps it feel more focused than it looks at first glance.

I wish we saw themes of sustainability more in games. Even "nature-focused" (video) games like Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley are in a way all about strip mining. Go into the forest, cut down every single tree, pull up every single plant, pick every single berry off every available bush, etc.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Question the thread might know the answer to. In Decrypto, what is the consequence for giving an illegal clue?

I looked through the rules to see if it said anything, but either it didn't or I missed it. Is it just an instant game over?

My teammate was real drunk and gave an obviously illegal clue (used one of our words as part of the clue). We just called it a loss, which was funny because she did it on the same turn we intercepted and won, so we celebrated and we high-fived, and then I revealed to everyone "but actually, we lost."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was without internet for a week and a coworker suggested I grab a couple of single player board games to keep myself occupied for a few days. He suggested Super Skill Pinball and Under Falling Skies. I had a blast with the pinball one, kind of reminded me of Yahtzee in some ways (mostly in "what's the best box to fill in the flipper area to extend my play) and I enjoyed the two boards I played from it (the carnival one and Dragonslayer, Dragonslayer especially seems like you could get some ludicrous scores with the Hoard mechanic).

I really loved Under Falling Skies though, even if I lost the demo battle horribly (I ignored the excavator for like two or three rounds in favor of trying to blow up the ships, not a great strategy). I liked it so much that I bought my own copy, with the employee discount it ended up being a little under 20 bucks which feels like a steal. I don't know how deep I'm going to get into the board game hole but I'm curious if anyone here has some other suggestions for good solo board games (preferably budget friendly, like under 60 bucks or so).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

I really loved Under Falling Skies though, even if I lost the demo battle horribly (I ignored the excavator for like two or three rounds in favor of trying to blow up the ships, not a great strategy). I liked it so much that I bought my own copy, with the employee discount it ended up being a little under 20 bucks which feels like a steal. I don't know how deep I'm going to get into the board game hole but I'm curious if anyone here has some other suggestions for good solo board games (preferably budget friendly, like under 60 bucks or so).

Are you wanting to stick to roughly UFS-level of complexity?

I'd say Spirit Island is an obvious candidate, I wouldn't say it's at its best solo but it's still pretty good

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know how deep I'm going to get into the board game hole but I'm curious if anyone here has some other suggestions for good solo board games (preferably budget friendly, like under 60 bucks or so).

I tried Final Girl out a couple days ago and liked it quite a bit, budget-wise though it starts out under $60 ($20 for the core rules and $20 for one "feature film") but that goes up if you want to get all 5 of the current scenarios (which you could them mix and match the contents of).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Megasabin posted:

As someone who used to enjoy MOBAs & Frozen Synapse, I really want Guards of Atlantis II. It seems like the perfect mash-up between those two games-- the team based objective play of MOBA with the round based simultaneous action selection & execution based on initiative of Frozen Synapse.

It wasn't on my radar at all during the first Kickstarter, but that seems like a good thing, because it gearing up for a second Kickstarter that will include an improved box with a better inbuilt storage solution.

I was strongly considering this game during the first kickstarter, given I love Dota and have been playing it for almost 20 years (jesus christ). What Efka said in NPI's recent video was essentially my conclusion, and the reason I didn't end up backing it: I'm never going to get a group of 4/6 to play a game this daunting and unforgiving, let alone get that same group to play it multiple times to understand all the nuances of the game's mechanics and flow. It's poetically funny because that's the exact issue with getting new players into actual Dota.

If you are in a position to pull that off, I'm really envious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

xK1 posted:

I tried Final Girl out a couple days ago and liked it quite a bit, budget-wise though it starts out under $60 ($20 for the core rules and $20 for one "feature film") but that goes up if you want to get all 5 of the current scenarios (which you could them mix and match the contents of).

Wave 2 is on the boat with an ETA of April. That's another five scenarios to mix and match. It's based on Hostage Negotiator, so it's easy and cheap to find out if you like the model.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I tried to get Final Girl in an order the other day, but they were all sold out except for poltergeist, and a friend already owns that so I decided not to :/

I hear there are some issues with, like, random chance dictating victory so maybe season 2 will refine the formula a little bit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PerniciousKnid posted:

Are you wanting to stick to roughly UFS-level of complexity?

I'd say Spirit Island is an obvious candidate, I wouldn't say it's at its best solo but it's still pretty good

Ah yeah I guess I should add a little more info. Nothing with too big of a board, Under Falling Skies would be too big if I did it as one giant board but I figured pretty quickly I could split the city half and the sky half and that made it manageable. And yeah, maybe some stuff that's a little more casual, UFS is probably the most complex I'm willing to tackle at this time, at least. I'm not a particularly bright guy. :v:

I saw Final Girl mentioned and I guess I should also say that premise/aesthetic kinda just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not really into horror games or psychological stuff, sci fi and fantasy stuff are generally more what I'm into.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Get yourself some Warp's Edge.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Best games for playing with a smart 8 year old girl who likes Disney stuff, cooking, and being goofy?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Morpheus posted:

I tried to get Final Girl in an order the other day, but they were all sold out except for poltergeist, and a friend already owns that so I decided not to :/

I hear there are some issues with, like, random chance dictating victory so maybe season 2 will refine the formula a little bit.

I haven't played Final Girl, but I love Hostage Negotiator which uses the same system. It's definitely a game where luck can cause very good and very bad things to happen, up until the very end, but luck isn't everything. You feel clever when you win, and can think of a way to improve when you lose. And most importantly, the points where luck is involved is crates a satisfying story arc.

Make sure you understand the strategy basics, they were easily looked over in the HN manual and help you handle the randomness.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Board game weekend sucked.

Yesterday, played some Twilight Inscription. I practiced a little in solo and I could routinely score 80-100. Played 4 player, I chose Muaat. Long story short, I invested heavily into warfare and yet still lost or tied at least half of the wars. I used my faction ability 3 times and got like 6 free trade goods out of it. But it wasn't enough. I scored 60, last place against 3 other people with the winner scoring 95 as Jol Nar. I got mad. I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong.

Tonight, played Vast: Mysterious Manor. 4 players, leaving out the Warlock and I played Spider. I got obliterated. The Paladin found a ton of treasure early and fast AND most of the blood while exploring. Within about 4 turns, there was no place I could be that the Paladin could not find me, and my only hope was the Skeletons could scare him off. It almost worked but it wasn't enough, and the Paladin took me out. I managed a meager 4 terror as I had to spend the entirety of my turns fleeing the inscrutable Paladin.

These are kinds of weekends that make me look at my boardgame collection with scorn.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

fr0id posted:

Best games for playing with a smart 8 year old girl who likes Disney stuff, cooking, and being goofy?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/358026/disney-goofy-movie-game

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Have you played this yourself?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Actually, now that I re-read, I thought you were asking for someone who likes Disney and role-playing as Goofy, which was a weird combination and that was the only thing I knew.

I've seen massive success with Zombie Kidz, and I did play Scooby Doo with MY (admittedly, not 8yo) WIFE and it was fun enough. The mysteries are fairly easy and if the kid is useless they can just move Shaggy/Scooby and go around eating and sniffing everything for clues.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 6, 2023

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I think I'm at the tipping point with board games.... I LOVE board games but I loving hate how lovely board game players are. Here are my two recent experiences:

1. Found a cool board gaming group and things were going pretty well. Went to a social night and someone asked for my help learning chess. The other person was incredibly experienced and was not pulling punches on the newbie. I helped and the experienced player got frustrated because they said they were just playing against me and it's unfair... It's a social night, this individual wants to learn, asked me for guidance and you're playing on full competitive tilt. The experienced person got angry reset the board and went to another group. I was at my wits end, told the new person sorry and packed up and left. As I was leaving the experienced player ran after me calling me a thief and demanding to know where their chess board was.... I was super confused and embarrassed because the whole shop just stopped and stared at me. I walked back with them and the loving thing was where it was to begin with. No apologies from them. I left rejected.

2. I hosted a online RPG cyberpunk game and a couple of people signed up. One person just kept messaging me non stop before the first session with customization questions and I'm like no worries I'll help out. They messaged me all throughout the day and expected answers. @ing me tagging me and spamming me with "you there?". This goes on 5 days straight and close to 100 questions. It's fine, just helping out an eager beaver I thought.

First session starts, and they still have more questions. Game gets delayed as this person requires us to spend 2 hours building their character. Once it's settled it turns out they don't know how to use the tools I said were required to play in the session. They throw a shitfit and we end up having to migrate the entire session to their preferred tool. They get pissy when I said I'm not porting NPCs over so have a notepad or text editor open. We are now 4 hours in and the game finally is starting. one player already left but we still have 3+me left.

The session sees the players in a room with their boss and are assigned a task to do: go scope out a new competitor moving into town.

This person cannot understand this is a basic setup and thinks there more to it. Throws a huge poo poo fit and refuses to accept the mission. Tells off every other player why they are wrong and demands they let them play their way. 30 mins of this passes I get frustrated and end the game. This person now starts yelling at me that I'm a terrible GM for forcing them to make choices to advance the game. They said I HAVE to run the game daily and that if I don't I'm a POS.

I haven't run the game since and have blocked the person.

I'm drained and don't get why I bother with this hobby. I haven't had fun playing a board game in god knows how long. It's so draining having to deal with people who have no basic sense of socialization and can't chill the gently caress out, it's just a loving board game.

This hobby is not worth dealing with the people it attracts... I think I'm done.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Defenistrator posted:

This hobby is not worth dealing with the people it attracts... I think I'm done.

True, whenever I find random groups, it's either

1) turbo nerds who are waaaaaaay to into it and weirding everyone else out
2) people who haven't don't have board game dome and just get slaughtered
3) that one normal person but who just really wants to only play like Carcassonne or something
4) hilarious and edgy cards against humanity racism

random groups suck, gotta find someone who you already know IRL to be a chill person and just play games with them

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ojetor posted:

I was strongly considering this game during the first kickstarter, given I love Dota and have been playing it for almost 20 years (jesus christ). What Efka said in NPI's recent video was essentially my conclusion, and the reason I didn't end up backing it: I'm never going to get a group of 4/6 to play a game this daunting and unforgiving, let alone get that same group to play it multiple times to understand all the nuances of the game's mechanics and flow. It's poetically funny because that's the exact issue with getting new players into actual Dota.

If you are in a position to pull that off, I'm really envious.

Hello DOTA friend. I had 3000 hours before I shelved that one for good. Luckily, all my old DOTA buddies are part of my regular hang out group now, so I will have the requisite 4-6 to play on the regular.

Not sure what your situation is, but if you have board game meets ups near you, with some effort I bet you could find the subgroup of people within one of those meet ups to play. It’s a lot of pre work for one game though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I know it's not available to everyone, but good LGS weed those people out very quickly. Hopefully there's something in your area you can find. I wouldn't blame you for throwing in the towel though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is why I absolutely refuse to play with randos. Yeah there are people out there that are fun to play with, there are also a lot of people like those you described, and gently caress if I have the time to sort through them all. If I'm playing a game with someone it's because I know them, a friend knows them, or a friend of a friend knows them (and vouches for them). No problems yet, except one guy who complained a little too much while playing a game of Power Grid that he was losing (then ended up winning) but whatever.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Defenistrator posted:

Start living up to your name and throw any dickheads out of windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I've had pretty good experiences with local board game meetup groups

Sometimes you get dealt a bad hand and have to play carcassone or CAH but after a couple of times you meet chill people and you can organize actually interesting games