Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mr.Acula posted:

Otoh, is it worth it to get an Index just for HL:Alyx?

no, get a quest 2 or pico 4 for a fraction of the price if you're just dipping your toes into VR

the index isn't even unambiguously the best headset anymore, it's very well built but the cheaper alternatives have better resolution and wireless PCVR streaming while the index is still tethered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

More Next Fest demo announcements: (starts tomorrow!)

Voidtrain
A Sister's Journey
Bleak Sword DX (formerly on Apple Arcade.. it's a cool game...)

As a reminder, here's the other confirmed demos that I've seen to this point: (italicized ones that I will probably try if I have time)

Previously seen at E3:
Teslagrad 2
Darkest Dungeon 2
Planet of Lana
Last Case of Benedict Fox
Goodbye Volcano High
Shadows of Doubt
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakening (complete remake from scratch to pair with Sherlock: Chapter One)

Previously seen in Wholesome Direct or Guerilla Collective events:
Arcadian Atlas
Glitch Busters
Moonstone Island
Mail Time
Pixelshire
Slopecrashers
Mika & the Witch's Mountain
Koa & the Five Pirates of Mara

Escaped from Vaporware Mountain:
Gestalt: Steam & Cinder
Radio the Universe
Dad by the Sword

These just look neat to me:
Phantom Brigade
Mahou Senshi Cosplay Club
Holstin
Full Void
Die by the Blade
Bzzzt
Zid Journey

Others: Dark and Darker, Mindhack, Wandering Sword, Spiritfall, Death or Treat, Prison City, Guardians of Gaia, I Wish Michael Phantomino Was Here, Fake Heart, Rushaway, Bramble: the Mountain King, Dungeon Drafters, Ghostland Yard, Trinity Fusion, Worldless, Verne: The Shape of Fantasy, The Star Named Eos, ArcRunner, Greedventory, Dark Envoy, The Great War

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 5, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

imagine if video game controllers took after musical instruments instead of typewriters

it didn't make what i was describing, but still imagine

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Press C# on your mblo to jump

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

this game is a love letter to FLCL

I know you’re criticizing it, but this got my attention. How, the art style? Story?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mescal posted:

imagine if video game controllers took after musical instruments instead of typewriters

That was an entire genre in the late '00s

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mescal posted:

I play fighting games on something similar to this

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

there's already a universal standard for "chording." they'd develop games differently if input could be that complex and nuanced. if it made piano sounds you'd always know whether you fat-fingered an input.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fruits of the sea posted:

I know you’re criticizing it, but this got my attention. How, the art style? Story?

This trailer really tells you everything you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgd4aU56Kig

That, and the fact that it's 98% positive with almost 7000 reviews.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1801110/BOKURA/

Oh hey, someone took the best gimmick from Dead Space 3 and made a game out of it :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Played some more pre-Next Fest demos... starting from least interesting to most interesting.

Legends of Kingdom Rush

Kingdom Rush trying to be Braveland basically. It's ok. Heavily handholdy in the beginning, with an aesthetic that is still basically 'premium mobile title'. I liked Braveland but I think I need something more uptempo than this.

Freeride Playtest

This was the previous demo before the Act 1 demo that they just put up for this coming week. There's a lot of style here but I have no idea what's going on, because the playtest was mostly just to see how people felt about the controls. Also it seems to be a mouse and keyboard game despite looking like a controller game (you use the mouse to telekinetically grab and throw objects). The concept sounds neat on the store page so I might give the new demo a try later this week, but it's weird that they can't make this a game that can work with a controller.

Glitched

JRPG that disregards the fourth wall entirely, as the player is an overseer guiding the character's actions and making important choices that determine their personality, how people respond to them, and what skills they have in battle. It's got more going on than I thought it would, suggesting it's a little bit deeper than the usual game of this ilk (a game about a game, and things are glitchy!). The art is kind of simple but functional (and not asset-filled), and has a lot of unique descriptions for interactive spots. I looked at a bunch of different trees and the main character had something unique to say about each of them. Then I got some sort of achievement and Frog Coin for looking at five different types of furniture. Definitely has some promise.

The Tartarus Key

Hell yea. An escape room game with a story, designed to look like a PS1 horror game, complete with hardcore texture warping. If the zombie shooting part of classic RE games got tedious to you and you only cared about the puzzles, Tartarus Key might be your speed. I like the banter between the main character and the private investigator who assists her. Not every quip works but it is an amusing back and forth, and examining objects will queue up 'party chat' opportunities where the two characters opine on what they saw. Very good foundation here.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 5, 2023

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Does Steam not have the option to update all games currently in the library with a single button press? I've currently got 75 games scheduled to update and I'd like to just get it all done now without having to click each manually and I'm not sure if my internet will be available during the month that it's all currently scheduled for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chestnut santabag posted:

Does Steam not have the option to update all games currently in the library with a single button press? I've currently got 75 games scheduled to update and I'd like to just get it all done now without having to click each manually.

If it’s there I’ve never seen it. It’s kinda annoying that it’s not an option

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Valve’s saving pennies making it more difficult to keep your games updated so it’s not going to happen

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

chestnut santabag posted:

Does Steam not have the option to update all games currently in the library with a single button press? I've currently got 75 games scheduled to update and I'd like to just get it all done now without having to click each manually and I'm not sure if my internet will be available during the month that it's all currently scheduled for.

steam used to do that automatically even without a button press
I guess they changed it to delayed/scheduled updating to stop a million steam clients hammering the servers at once when an update releases because people like me were just hoarding more and more games they weren't actually playing on their hard drives

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

steam used to do that automatically even without a button press
I guess they changed it to delayed/scheduled updating to stop a million steam clients hammering the servers at once when an update releases because people like me were just hoarding more and more games they weren't actually playing on their hard drives

They changed it because during the pandemic everyone was sitting inside without having anything to do but downloading their backlogs, which was causing too much strain on the servers.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

the feature was introduced in 2014 or so though, not really that new. Just been pushed even more into the future now depending on last played.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, I think it auto-downloads if you've played in the last two weeks now, and delays/makes you manually update if past that? I know my regular games get patched without a hiccup.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a thread on morrowind modding around here? I'm getting the urge to play it but obviously not vanilla. (Don't think that'd even run right on windows 10.)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Morrowind thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430891

Not sure what the current recommendation is, been a couple years since I last tried. Open Morrowind is a relatively hassle free way to get it running.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Keep in mind OpenMW is not compatible with MWSE mods.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zereth posted:

Is there a thread on morrowind modding around here? I'm getting the urge to play it but obviously not vanilla. (Don't think that'd even run right on windows 10.)

I recently had the same urge and used OpenMW plus a modified version of the 'I heart Vanilla: Director's Cut' on this web page.

It's been great so far, but the process for modding it is kind of annoying. I eventually got it to work and added a few extra mods that I was interested in (at the bare minimum I suggest one of the 'expansion delay' mods to avoid getting attacked by an expansion assassin on like your very first night in the game).

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fruits of the sea posted:

No, I love that it's a love letter to flcl.

The art style. The story. The weapon and some things that happen to it.

And then there's this from the credits. It's not a spoiler but this definitely says "yes we loved flcl."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I recently had the same urge and used OpenMW plus a modified version of the 'I heart Vanilla: Director's Cut' on this web page.

It's been great so far, but the process for modding it is kind of annoying. I eventually got it to work and added a few extra mods that I was interested in (at the bare minimum I suggest one of the 'expansion delay' mods to avoid getting attacked by an expansion assassin on like your very first night in the game).
See I'd be more interested in the "Total Overhaul" one except there's no way I'm manually downloading 419 mods

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Just picked up Monster Hunter World for 11 bucks on a key site. Hopefully it is a good game

Paradoxish posted:

In this game that features lots of combat, good and fun combat isn't the point? :confused:

Like there are millions of ways to make combat in a game fun and interesting that don't look anything like Dark Souls while also not looking like... whatever janky rear end bullshit is happening in that clip.

I've heard good things about the combat as well, not going to make an opinion on one extremely short twitter clip, but my main point is that it's going to be accessible to kids, so from the start I've doubted that it's gonna be that great in the combat. Serviceable and sometimes challenging would be good enough imo. Plus I know there are tons of spells, not just two, so maybe that is early in the gam

If anything it reminds me a bit of BioMutant. Which admittedly did not have the best combat.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Decided to play a poo poo ton more Hades. I forgot how hard this game fucks. I do suck at it though.

Plus it's a Bi Paradise! I'm hyped for hades 2.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hades is fun but all the stupid dialogue you have to click through sucks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mystes posted:

:catstare:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

They changed it because during the pandemic everyone was sitting inside without having anything to do but downloading their backlogs, which was causing too much strain on the servers.
IIRC it was actually an industry-wide gentleman's agreement to delay auto-updates on all platforms to off-peak hours, to avoid clogging up bandwidth that could be used by the endless Zoom meetings lockdown life entailed.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

mystes posted:

This is the bad takes thread. You're in the right place.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Although, how are you suppose to get the Very rare fishes? I know it's timing when you press the button but...I never caught one. Is there a way to make it easier or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BigRed0427 posted:

Decided to play a poo poo ton more Hades. I forgot how hard this game fucks. I do suck at it though.

Plus it's a Bi Paradise! I'm hyped for hades 2.
been doing this as well the last couple weeks, yeah it's real good

kinda funny how off-kilter some of the conversations get when you start winning consistently earlier than the devs evidently expected. i keep jumping backward in time on things like turning extreme measures on and off, or zag asking what that blood stuff is after my, like, 20th win

mystes posted:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 6, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Am I seriously the only one who doesn't like the dialogue?!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well idk about only one, but

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

mystes posted:

Yes, and we are all judging you for it. harshly.

*Now goes off to make their Zagreus, Magera and Thanatos plushies all kiss.*

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

The 7th Guest posted:

Gravity Circuit

I just tried the demo as well based off your review and yep, feels great and looking forward to it! Getting that very polished sense I got from other cool recent retro games like Cyber Shadow. Thanks as usual for showcasing some cool games that might've slipped past my net.

---

Pinging the Tales fans in here: would you say Tales of Arise is worth it? Currently sitting at around $20 on Humble, so I was a little curious. A lot of people seem to love it, but I'm also hearing a lot of people slamming it for bad difficulty (which I'm curious to see if I can figure out a way around with skill) and rushed story (which actually I feel might be a blessing since I feel most stories are a slog, like Persona 5) among other things: was hoping for a good Tales game finally after most modern ones have let me down (including Berseria, in my opinion, with its very boring dungeons/exploration and weird combat) but it unfortunately seems to have not righted the ship, mayhaps. I do have Tales of Vesperia still to play, so I'm wondering if I should just do that instead, but I actually hear a lot of people slamming it as well for a terrible back half, so hmm, maybe I should just move on from both?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mystes posted:

I don't click through it, I listen to it because it's good and I always want to hear what dad has to say.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

mystes posted:

I mean, Supergiant has achieved pretty universal praise for their dialogue and storytelling elements over the course of their history (usually paired with mediocre gameplay). Hades is their first game that had actually good gameplay, but still feel like the story is really the front and center thing from them.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Zereth posted:

See I'd be more interested in the "Total Overhaul" one except there's no way I'm manually downloading 419 mods

They have easy one click download mod lists for Skyrim and FO4 and such so I'm surprised that hasn't reached Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mystes posted:

I don't think it's necessarily low quality but it definitely drove me away from the game. It bounced off me the same way Disney/Marvel/Star Wars movies do where it feels like it was written for a very specific fandom that I'm not a part of.
(which for the record I'm not saying is a bad thing, just that I'm not the audience)

Edit: The audience Hades is for is people who wrote horny fanfic about the greek gods :pwn:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 6, 2023