Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

They have easy one click download mod lists for Skyrim and FO4 and such so I'm surprised that hasn't reached Morrowind.
If I'm reading the site correctly there's a tool which can fire and forget download an entire mod list from that site... but not the "total overhaul" or "like total overhaul but a compromise so you can manually assemble it without taking six weeks" ones. :orks:

EDIT: also it's a command line tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, you want Wabbajack for that: https://www.wabbajack.org/

Pretty good if you don’t want to spend hours modding a Elder Scrolls game. Just avoid the any NSFW compilations, unless you know exactly what you’re getting into :cthulhu:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, you want Wabbajack for that: https://www.wabbajack.org/

Pretty good if you don’t want to spend hours modding a Elder Scrolls game. Just avoid the any NSFW compilations, unless you know exactly what you’re getting into :cthulhu:
I've used it before, but: Wabbajack has very little for morrowind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Hades is fun but all the stupid dialogue you have to click through sucks

The maid, Dusa, is going to petrify you for this slander of Zagreus.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

After the simplicity of wabbajack lists it's hard to go back to all the fiddle. Not only the downloading but all the stuff is merged and load order is set. I prefer tweaking a list to how I like than starting from scratch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Edit: The audience Hades is for is people who wrote horny fanfic about the greek gods :pwn:

so, the ancient greeks then

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hades could have been a lot better gameplay wise. They had the right idea with doing a couple different versions of the first boss but there wasn't enough of that. It needed more variation.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The combat in Hades is fun and the writing is fairly entertaining but the connective tissue between them was insufferable.

They took the worst ideas from the latest roguelite craze and stuffed the game full of grind with korean mmo levels of managing dozens of different currencies.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"'dozens" of different currencies?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

"'dozens" of different currencies?

There's at least a dozen currencies.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Jack Trades posted:

They took the worst ideas from the latest roguelite craze and stuffed the game full of grind with korean mmo levels of managing dozens of different currencies.
I've only played about 40-50 runs of Hades and I earned basically everything I wanted in that time. Korean MMO this is not.

EDIT: I did not unlock everything. But I unlocked enough to feel satisfied with having played through most of the game.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jack Trades posted:

Coins (run only), gems, darkness, keys, nectar, ambrosia, titan blood, diamonds. That's 8. And one of them isn't persistent.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I did enough runs to get me through the main story (about 10?) and that was about all I could take with all the failed ones, could not stomach the thought of adding more and more negative buffs every run.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Metaprogression is cancer upon modern gaming in the same vein as battle passes and loot threadmills where they try to replace compelling gameplay with the dopamine hit of number go up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jack Trades posted:

Ingame currency:
-Obol
Metaprog Currencies:
-Darkness
-Gems
-Keys
-Diamonds
-Titan Blood
Dialogue Currencies:
-Nectar
-Ambrosia

That's eight. I feel the two of us have had this same conversation several times in this very thread, there's no need to fabricate grievances if you didn't like the game.

edit: fwiw there *are* far too many unlock currencies, but there's no need to exaggerate

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 6, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

why are there even 8 currency things i have to think about..

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Each of them buys different things. It allows you to have a variety of possible rewards and an easier way to balance different kinds of unlocks without having to do consider different pricing structures if you used a single currency.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

When you want to add yet another progression mechanic but don't know how to organically tie it together with your other mechanics the easiest way is to just add yet another currency.

That's how all the bloated MMO end up with a billion (the number is not factual and is exaggerated for effect) currencies too.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

mystes posted:

Am I seriously the only one who doesn't like the dialogue?!

No you're not. It was one of the contributing factors to me ditching Hades as well. It's firmly not my thing for a few reasons, but I really didn't click with the dialogue or voice work. Been a lot of drama recently about bad/cringe dialogue in games, but I've not seen much as bad as Hypnos from Hades.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

To give the game some props. It's been common lately to make you main character talk to themselves and it usually ends up sounding pretty bad, like they're a theater actor delivering exposition, but Hades made Zagreus talking to himself sound fairly natural.

EDIT: Also can't genuinely remember single line from that game that I cringed at, but I guess people have different tastes.
Some people think Hi-Fi Rush is funny, so what do I know.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

I don't think it's necessarily low quality but it definitely drove me away from the game. It bounced off me the same way Disney/Marvel/Star Wars movies do where it feels like it was written for a very specific fandom that I'm not a part of.
(which for the record I'm not saying is a bad thing, just that I'm not the audience)

Edit: The audience Hades is for is people who wrote horny fanfic about the greek gods :pwn:

Dunno, I dislike anything Tumblr or fanfiction-related and I loving adored the dialogue and performances in Hades. I have no idea how you could even compare it to Disney writing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Strong Sauce posted:

the 'currencies' are fine. half of them are barely currencies and more like key items you find like one of at a time and then go home and use immediately (like the nectar/ambrosia which you just gift to npcs sitting around the hub for new conversations, there's no real saving up and spending)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Disney comparison mostly stems from every character being one-dimensional and reinforcing their singular character trait in almost every line of dialog.

Hades calls Zagreus "Boy" in almost every line to reinforce that he's the uncaring authority figure who has no faith in you, and sure enough that carries through all the way to the final dialog you unlock with him after however many wins where he still essentially says "Boy! You will never be worthwhile." and that's it, exactly like every other thing he said throughout the game.

Hypnos acts bewildered and confused by your death every time you die to reinforce his role as the friendly doddering senile fool

I can't even remember any of the other characters, but pretty much after talking to them once and hearing one or two sentences you know everything about them and every future dialog is just going to be a rephrasing of that first one. It's more or less the same way marvel movies handle dialog where it introduces a hero and goes "okay here's their sense of humor and here's what they stand for" then has them repeating similar one-liners about what they stand for throughout the movie as a stand-in for actual personality.

If you like the characters/tropes it can be entertaining, but I didn't like them

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 6, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

All the metacurrencies in Hades are merely window dressing for the four real metacurrencies all games consume: Time, Electricty, Horniness and Rage.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's a lot of stuff that has fun meta-progression mechanics but its also not something that needs to be in every game.

I think Deep Rock Galactic is the ultimate expression of this where it has all the live-service elements but without any transaction bullshit. It's a good game in spite of that but jesus christ, I hope we aren't headed toward a future where multiple currencies and unlocks are included in everything for no reason beyond "that's how it's done".

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

The Disney comparison mostly stems from every character being one-dimensional and reinforcing their singular character trait in almost every line of dialog.

Hades calls Zagreus "Boy" in almost every line to reinforce that he's the uncaring authority figure who has no faith in you, and sure enough that carries through all the way to the final dialog you unlock with him after however many wins where he still essentially says "Boy! You will never be worthwhile." and that's it, exactly like every other thing he said throughout the game.

Hypnos acts bewildered and confused by your death every time you die to reinforce his role as the friendly doddering senile fool

I can't even remember any of the other characters, but pretty much after talking to them once and hearing one or two sentences you know everything about them and every future dialog is just going to be a rephrasing of that first one. It's more or less the same way marvel movies handle dialog where it introduces a hero and goes "okay here's their sense of humor and here's what they stand for" then has them repeating similar one-liners about what they stand for throughout the movie as a stand-in for actual personality.

If you like the characters/tropes it can be entertaining, but I didn't like them

What the gently caress? This is so far off that I assume you just skipped everything and didn't pay attention to literally any of the character development

edit: I feel like I'm in a bizarro world where I played a completely different game from whatever you guys were playing

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 6, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tarezax posted:

What the gently caress? This is so far off that I assume you just skipped everything and didn't pay attention to literally any of the character development

edit: I feel like I'm in a bizarro world where I played a completely different game from whatever you guys were playing

I guess the wiki summary wasn't any good this time. :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I skipped out on Hades once I learned it was a rouge-lite, though I'm sure it was a good one of those. Transistor is still my favorite game they've made, though I wish I liked Pyre more since I was really invested in the world they created (but hated the mechanics you had to slog through to experience it). Writing always seemed to be one of their strong suits though, so if there's an issue with it in Hades I imagine it's more due to repetition than anything else.

The announcement of a sequel kinda bums me out, though. I liked how each of their games did its own thing. I'm sure Hades 2 will be good (if you like that kind of game), and Hades fans are happy to have a follow-up, but I'm always going to wonder what we might've gotten instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

All the metacurrencies in Hades are merely window dressing for the four real metacurrencies all games consume: Time, Electricty, Horniness and Rage.

Is that the modern version of the four humors?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
It is okay to like a game. It is okay to dislike a game. Nam a staté.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Early MetaCritic scores for Hogwarts Legacy are high, looks like the clip posted earlier might not have been illustrative.

LMAO IGN Portugal with a perfect 100, wth.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 6, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Aw I love Hypnos from Hades. He seems all dizzy and stupid and absent-minded but there's a good chance he's loving with you and I appreciate that in my Greek gods

Bizarro Kale
Oct 15, 2005

chestnut santabag posted:

Does Steam not have the option to update all games currently in the library with a single button press? I've currently got 75 games scheduled to update and I'd like to just get it all done now without having to click each manually and I'm not sure if my internet will be available during the month that it's all currently scheduled for.

You can click the first game in your library, then shift click the last game to select them all. Then the right click menu will offer "Update Selected"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well that hotel in Half Life: Alyx was quite the thing. Not quite Ravenholm but beautiful spooky lighting in parts, disgusting alien-fungus filled corridors, horrible fast headcrabs etc... it was beautiful and I'm glad as gently caress I am out of there and free.

Right towards the end of that chapter I found a headcrab confusedly clambering about on a mannequin's head :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
trying to sound authoritative about a character by calling them “doddering” and “senile” when they’re explicitly one of the youngest people in the cast

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KazigluBey posted:

Early MetaCritic scores for Hogwarts Legacy are high, looks like the clip posted earlier might not have been illustrative.

LMAO IGN Portugal with a perfect 100, wth.

no it probably was illustrative, the problem is that game magazines love that poo poo especially when it's done on an insanely high budget

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

One of the demos today, I appreciate how much this game has ripped off HD2D games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1876890/Wandering_Sword/

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Anno posted:

One of the demos today, I appreciate how much this game has ripped off HD2D games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1876890/Wandering_Sword/

That sure is Live A Live.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So you didn’t actually read the dialogue, got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Feels Villeneuve posted:

no it probably was illustrative, the problem is that game magazines love that poo poo especially when it's done on an insanely high budget

Nope, seems the clip wasn't that illustrative, timestamped at the first mention of combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRM3RKC6tT0&t=217s

Combat seems on-par or slightly above-par for a AAA game of its sort, depending on how much items determine outcome or not.