Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

An airplane from that era would have trouble reaching the balloon's altitude.

Heavy AAA from that era, though...

I did a brief look around and the M3 90mm AA gun lists its max ceiling as 43,500’. So, I think hitting that balloon with AAA is pretty unlikely since it’s up at 65k.

Edit: the 120mm M1 is listed at 57k ft so, maybe with modern propellants?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 5, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Murgos posted:

I did a brief look around and the M3 90mm AA gun lists its max ceiling as 43,500’. So, I think hitting that balloon with AAA is pretty unlikely since it’s up at 65k.

The Heavy AAA (M1 120mm) had a max effective alt of around 57-58k, absolute max around 60k or so. Had the nickname stratosphere gun, but not clear how small of a lateral engagement envelope or how inaccurate it would be at max alt.

They served from 1944-60.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Time to get some mobile Project HARP hardware

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does the FedEx pilot get a Trophy from their employer or something?

This ain't golf!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

oh my god

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dude wanted a woman instructor so there'd actually be a woman who might give a poo poo when he died.

:vince:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australian Spy Balloon

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bootleg Lucario lookin rear end.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Australian Spy Balloon

:hmmyes:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No Australian Spy Balloon is Rosie

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

It's going to go down in the books as the only jet---> balloon kill in history.

I'm honestly curious if it took them this long to shoot it down simply because they weren't sure the weapons system could reliably lock onto the balloon target

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
Boeing 737-3H4 Registration N619SW has impacted the ground while fighting fires in Australia's Fitzgerald River National Park.

Last reading showed them at 675 ft altitude, 101 knots.

Both crew walked away with minor injuries, and were airlifted to Ravensthorpe Airport for treatment. The aircraft is a write-off.

https://twitter.com/PilotPoli/status/1622536889852129280

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not surprised it's a write off after slamming into the ground at 100 knots. Fairly surprised the crew weren't a write off, though.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Crikey how did they manage to survive?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

monkeytennis posted:

Crikey how did they manage to survive?

It was a good landing

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I assume there wasn't much of a fire

:dadjoke:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Any tips for a good meal and decent drinks at DCA/Reagan/National?

I’ve been in and out of there a bunch the last year and it’s pretty dire.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Murgos posted:

yeah: eat somewhere else

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think there's, uh, a five guys

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Hatay airport
https://twitter.com/ankara_cevirme/status/1622478708756848640
I wonder what the NOTAM is for that, er, runway speed bump.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Murgos posted:

https://dc.eater.com/2015/5/20/8629479/reagan-national-airport-dining-guide-dc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I assume that any rag that calls it “Reagan” would direct me to the place where I’d get food poisoning.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

I'm honestly curious if it took them this long to shoot it down simply because they weren't sure the weapons system could reliably lock onto the balloon target

I like to imagine some Raytheon engineers working around the clock, frantically welding up harbor freight solar panels to some aluminum tubes and buying whatever balloon they can get their hands on and driving to white sands just to make sure their missile isn’t a national embarrassment

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 7, 2023

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Battle of Palmdale was a bad look.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Hatay airport
https://twitter.com/ankara_cevirme/status/1622478708756848640
I wonder what the NOTAM is for that, er, runway speed bump.

See, this "glitch" is actually accurately modeled in Flight Simulator 2020.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Murgos posted:

No, it's extremely bad like all the airports in the DC area.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So guys, that balloon was gigantic

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wait, wait

hold on

what

Let's assume the Chinese build to round numbers. ~ 200 ft = 60 m. I did the math for the volume, and assumed I hosed it up. Because I got 113,097 cubic meters. The motherfucking Hindenburg displaced 200,000 cubic meters

Then somebody passed me this:

https://www.space.com/41791-giant-nasa-balloon-big-60-breaks-record.html

NASA successfully flew a 1.7 million cubic meter balloon in 2018, that's 60 million cubic feet.

That could be more displacement than the entire German WW1 Zeppelin fleet

my brain hurts

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I’ve eaten at several of their recommended spots and I can just say that I don’t recommend them.

I had the worst margarita and chips and salsa of my life at El Centro.

I haven’t tried terminal A yet, maybe something there will surprise me. Or, I could just do legal, at least then I know what I’m getting.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nebakenezzer posted:

So guys, that balloon was gigantic

Oh yeah no, they’re all stupidily big. Though this appears to have been carrying a good bit larger payload than your average weather balloon so even more so here. This said, you can tear/damage the material just by handling it with your hands so I’d assume even the suggestion of shrapnel would take it out. Probably could have at a gun kill with it fairly easily.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Historically the problem with shooting down balloons is that bullets hardly do anything. The envelope is at barely more than atmospheric pressure, and when you've got 100,000 cubic meters of gas, the loss through a hole half an inch in diameter is almost unnoticeable. Explosive cannon shells also aren't as effective as you'd think, because they pass right through the skin without enough force to set them off and all you get is a somewhat larger puncture.

Incendiary bullets, though, with a little lump of phosphorous burning in the tail...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

Historically the problem with shooting down balloons is that bullets hardly do anything. The envelope is at barely more than atmospheric pressure, and when you've got 100,000 cubic meters of gas, the loss through a hole half an inch in diameter is almost unnoticeable. Explosive cannon shells also aren't as effective as you'd think, because they pass right through the skin without enough force to set them off and all you get is a somewhat larger puncture.

Incendiary bullets, though, with a little lump of phosphorous burning in the tail...

… did wonders when they were using hydrogen, but it’s all helium now

Unless you’re saying you can light the envelope itself on fire on a modern balloon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How does fire even behave at those gas pressures and temperatures?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

"Briefly" I'd imagine.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sagebrush posted:

Impact fuses were disused for AAA work before ww1, come on. An equivalent mass of explosives going off by timer or sensor will be the same effective, regardless if it's delivered in a shell or a shell with an burnt out engine in the back.

Putting wings and engines on the gun and the ability to steer the grenade are decisions made for other considerations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Impact fuses were disused for AAA work before ww1, come on.

Not in aerial gunnery with cannon shells, e.g. a 20mm Hispano, which is what I was talking about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Warbird posted:

Oh yeah no, they’re all stupidily big. Though this appears to have been carrying a good bit larger payload than your average weather balloon so even more so here. This said, you can tear/damage the material just by handling it with your hands so I’d assume even the suggestion of shrapnel would take it out. Probably could have at a gun kill with it fairly easily.

Canada tried to shoot down their own balloon a few years ago and bullets didn't do much if at all to it. Shooting a missile and causing an explosion is the easiest way to ensure a big hole gets ripped in the balloon and it falls.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

david_a posted:

… did wonders when they were using hydrogen, but it’s all helium now

Unless you’re saying you can light the envelope itself on fire on a modern balloon

Which is pretty astonishing given how much helium that would have taken. That balloon was loving expensive, before it even had a payload attached. For a high altitude unmanned balloon I'd really think hydrogen would be the play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
How bad would it be if you flew into one of those balloons?

When I was a little kid I thought of an anti airship device that was just a long steel cable you would let reel out the back of a plane, it wasn't till I was older that realized that ww1 planes could not fly that high :doh: