Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
the tent obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

Imagine taking money to go to bat for Tories on such a weak attack line.
Most people at least try to leverage a peerage out of their utter debasement, but I guess some journalism grads have lower standards than even Ian 'loving racist' Austin.

I'm not reading the article but the sub-editor's headline? It's right. Britain has been rotten for decades. To the core. Maybe it always has been. Pointing at Brexit and going "it's all that's fault"? It's a child's response. Why did Brexit happen? Sure, some cunts are racist, some made a financial killing out of it. Sure, the campaign lied. But take yourself back 10 years, before Brexit. You think it was a healthy country? We were massively unequal, racist and with collapsing public services.

Capitalism has expertly turned worker against worker for the enrichment of the ruling class. They have gotten drat good at it too.

Anyway, tonight I engaged in the opiate of the modern day masses and watched Glass Onion & thought it was a proper hoot. Janelle Monae is just incredibly cool and completely steals the show. Strong urge to listen to ArchAndroid now, haven't put it on in too long but it's an intensely yet effortless cool album

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 6, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not reading the article but the sub-editor's headline? It's right. Britain has been rotten for decades. To the core. Maybe it always has been. Pointing at Brexit and going "it's all that's fault"? It's a child's response. Why did Brexit happen? Sure, some cunts are racist, some made a financial killing out of it. Sure, the campaign lied. But take yourself back 10 years, before Brexit. You think it was a healthy country? We were massively unequal, racist and with collapsing public services.

I'm not sure that's under dispute anywhere here. We're not Lib Dems pining for the halcyon days of the London Olympics. Brexit, however, has taken all the brakes off. The racist cunts have been emboldened since the day after the vote - the increase in hate crimes against Europeans in the second half of 2016 is best expressed as a multiple rather than a percentage - and the Tory headbangers are tearing down every structure that was left standing. Without Brexit we'd at least still be limping along. With it, the Tories have in 12 years managed to achieve a higher body count of British citizens than the NSDAP did in the same length of time, and it's going to get worse.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, I agree, Brexit was self-harm. But rather than yelling at the person who just tried to slash their wrists maybe look at why they decided to self-harm.

Things got worse with Brexit but it was already bad before then. If it wasn't then Brexit wouldn't have happened. And there is absolutely a refusal to accept that from Guardian reading liberals who, as you say, pine for 2012.

Voting for Brexit when you're poor and left behind is a bad choice, that felt clear to me in 2016 & has only become clearer with hindsight. People who feel left behind often lash out irrationally. They were given a chance to kick the status quo. They did so. Ignoring that we've abandoned millions just seems poo poo tbh. Inequality is up, social mobility down, entire towns written off and forgotten after the closure of heavy industries, the sell off of council housing means an end to affordable home ownership, rents going up, an end to careers for many working class people and all the other things. Add a corporate media extremely adept at propaganda and people are mad for understandable reasons. And they are given ready-made scapegoats and grasp then because it's something

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Trying to parse a disingenuous headline like that as though there is any good faith there is a foolish errand.

We know what she means, and who she means, and who her audience actually is.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's as much of a deflection tactic as "leftist economic establishment" is.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
ARE LIZ's little self-pity tour has been mordant reading. Never given a chance, etc etc. The language of a loser.

Tanked pound, half a trillion wiped off the market, BoE emergency measures?

Stop whining. Don't worry, Richie and Keith will do the same, just spread over the next decade. And "growth" will continue to still not occur.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fuctifino posted:

Genocides on beaches aside, I've heard Sri Lanka is a beautiful country

TBH for that sort of question I'd just go with a boring answer of like France, Belgium or Norway; and in the anglosphere either Canada or Ireland. Maybe Australia, Sweden, Netherlands or Denmark too if you don't mind the whole hating migrants bit.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

*drowning noises*

Makes sense when you realise that the target audience here is Guardian-reading liberals who consider themselves left-wing

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

That's the only explanation, otherwise I feel like we're being gaslit so much it's an explosion hazard

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Nesrine is pretty sound, I think the problem here is the sub-editor who considers Starmer and the rest of the current Labour leadership to be in any way 'Left'. It should have said 'Centrists'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Guardian firmly uses "the left" in the American sense wherein it's anyone not currently licking boot for the GOP.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Mebh posted:

Should i spend 300 quid on a fancy grow tent to grow fancy spicy foreign chillis? Or should i just spend 300 quid on fancy spicy foreign chillies?

https://spiderfarmer.co.uk/products/sf1000d-led-grow-light70x70cm-grow-tentinline-fan-combo-with-temperature-humidity-controller/

Either way, i just want a hobby to distract from... *gestures around*

I once hooked up with a friend-of-a-friend whose hobby was growing fancy chillies (and being addicted to ketamine). His bedroom was half full of little plants and LED lights. So you might not need a grow tent if your room is warm enough.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

Brexit also did not make our politicians less capable, or more mendacious and prone to culture-war posturing and misinformation. Britain had been stewing in an anti-immigration sentiment that went unchallenged for years, spawning Ukip and Nigel Farage, who did more to secure the anti-immigrant Brexit vote than the Conservatives ever did. Brexit did not write scores of tabloid front pages scaremongering about immigrants and Muslims. And Brexit did not make our left-of-centre politicians mealy mouthed when it came to challenging xenophobia. Their punishment was to be devoured by it.

"left" only appears once in the column as "left-of-centre", which was probably the draft title before an editor made the obvious snip. In context it does allude to the period encompassing the Miliband campaign, which may qualify as left for some (not that "wholesale EU immigration" was necessarily any better at resisting the siren's call to triangulate, as a gentle reminder)

Someday someone should write a study why Labour's 2008 points-based system failed to entrench the framing of desert and instead collapsed anyway toward the toxic framing of quotas in the 2010 election. Too many carveouts to retain credibility? Or just a coincidence in the wake of the GFC? (immigration was not the top priority until the later '10s - as the framing thesis would suggest, the Conservative manifesto proposing a cap made the discourse in which incredible quotas were inevitable).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mebh posted:

Should i spend 300 quid on a fancy grow tent to grow fancy spicy foreign chillis? Or should i just spend 300 quid on fancy spicy foreign chillies?

https://spiderfarmer.co.uk/products/sf1000d-led-grow-light70x70cm-grow-tentinline-fan-combo-with-temperature-humidity-controller/

Either way, i just want a hobby to distract from... *gestures around*

I just started growing some chili plants from seed and they've almost all sprouted and seem to be doing well. I was expecting a good portion of the seeds wouldn't germinate and now I'm wondering what I will do with so many chilis if all the plants fruit. So far they're just in a seedling tray with a transparent plastic cover and apart from being near a window they get a bit of extra light from the grow lights we have for the rest of our houseplants (helpful here in Norway because of the winter darkness).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Here's an elevenses question for all the thing-knowers on this place

Why are bourbon biscuits so cheap? The Sainsbury's own-brand ones I get are cheaper per 100g than their malted milks, their nices, even their rich teas. Their only rival in the 17p/100g stakes are the oaty ones, which are also very good imo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mega Comrade posted:

Yes the Soviet-Afghan War happened after the USSR fell....

I feel like the Soviet-Afghan war is widely misunderstood. The USSR didn't just decide to invade, they were asked to intercede by the communist government of the country because it was fighting a civil war against Islamist rebels. Yes it got very messy, but it was hardly a case of Moscow throwing its weight around just because, and there were plenty of Afghans who were supportive of the 'invaders'.

smellmycheese posted:

The SuperHitlerTanskii debacle is currently very amusing

Probably an unpopular opinion and I think SuperTankskii is an annoying centrist dweeb but I think it's kinda dumb to crucify someone over what was clearly a stupid bad joke they made while drunk in their early 20s. It was a stupid thing to do but I don't remotely think she's actually a huge fan of Hitler.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 6, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ThomasPaine posted:

I feel like the Soviet-Afghan war is widely misunderstood. The USSR didn't just decide to invade, they were asked to intercede by the communist government of the country because it was fighting a civil war against Islamist rebels. Yes it got very messy, but it was hardly a case of Moscow throwing its weight around just because, and there were plenty of Afghans who were supportive of the 'invaders'.

Probably an unpopular opinion and I think SuperTankskii is an annoying centrist dweeb but I think it's kinda dumb to crucify someone over what was clearly a stupid bad joke they made while drunk in their early 20s. It was a stupid thing to do but I don't remotely think she's actually a huge fan of Hitler.

I mean I spent a LOT of time getting wasted in fields and festivals but at no point did I get the urge to painstakingly create an “I LOVE HITLER” T shirt from mud , or perform a Nazi style Dirty Sanchez

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean, the Afghani President and his government were extremely surprised and not terribly happy with the way the USSR "interceded" (ie. a full scale war and reducing the government to puppet status, capturing government figures at gunpoint, attacking the government buildings and killing the security services).

But yeah, I guess they did technically ask...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

smellmycheese posted:

I mean I spent a LOT of time getting wasted in fields and festivals but at no point did I get the urge to painstakingly create an “I LOVE HITLER” T shirt from mud , or perform a Nazi style Dirty Sanchez

Oh for sure but I can definitely see someone doing that as an edgy 'joke' after ten pints. Very stupid thing to do obviously but I see it as ignorant and childish rather than reflective of any real political sympathies.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh for sure but I can definitely see someone doing that as an edgy 'joke' after ten pints. Very stupid thing to do obviously but I see it as ignorant and childish rather than reflective of any real political sympathies.

Yes but she’s getting stick because she’s repeatedly screeched that Jeremiah Krobbins is a filthy nazi antisemite, whilst harbouring a secret love of Hitler poo moustaches

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Fair point!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

I mean, the Afghani President and his government were extremely surprised and not terribly happy with the way the USSR "interceded" (ie. a full scale war and reducing the government to puppet status, capturing government figures at gunpoint, attacking the government buildings and killing the security services).

But yeah, I guess they did technically ask...

I feel like this is also how all revolts work, the government is usually on the side of the government and would like help putting down the revolt from the wider imperial power.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I love to entrench the framing of desert, me. Can't get enough entrenchening

sebzilla posted:

Why are bourbon biscuits so cheap?

Might just be a loss leader? I know my shopping trips are entirely motivated by obtaining bourbon biscuits

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bourbon biscuits are the best ones and they know there’d be riots if they didn’t keep them affordable

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Spicy…

https://twitter.com/avasantina/status/1622553448326594560?s=46&t=EOHs2nlqEvw6pG4VhTcNcg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

To this day my mind still assumes bourbon whiskey is going to taste of the biscuit and I feel a pang of disappointment when it doesn't.

Has anyone made bourbon flavoured bourbon? They should.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

The French monarchy from the 16th century onwards understood this too, they named themselves after them to prop up their own legitimacy. It's why they managed to hold on for so long.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

I just started growing some chili plants from seed and they've almost all sprouted and seem to be doing well. I was expecting a good portion of the seeds wouldn't germinate and now I'm wondering what I will do with so many chilis if all the plants fruit. So far they're just in a seedling tray with a transparent plastic cover and apart from being near a window they get a bit of extra light from the grow lights we have for the rest of our houseplants (helpful here in Norway because of the winter darkness).

The thread will laugh after my "you can train cats" statement. But out of 6 cats It's very hard to get them to not murder plants. I'm trying to find a more permanent solution where I can just not worry about it, but i think I'll just see how well my poblanos grow without fancy aid this year.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like this is also how all revolts work, the government is usually on the side of the government and would like help putting down the revolt from the wider imperial power.

Yes, but you're generally not expecting to get shot to death by the guys you asked to help you.

"We were invited" was a laughable pretext even at the time and an obvious figleaf for naked imperialism. It's embarrassing for someone to parrot it in 2023.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Sorry I'm a custard cream man myself

Bug Squash posted:

Yes, but you're generally not expecting to get shot to death by the guys you asked to help you.

"We were invited" was a laughable pretext even at the time and an obvious figleaf for naked imperialism. It's embarrassing for someone to parrot it in 2023.

Bold of you to be coming out in favour of the taliban in 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mrpwase posted:

The French monarchy from the 16th century onwards understood this too, they named themselves after them to prop up their own legitimacy. It's why they managed to hold on for so long.

Sadly history does not record whether they tasted like whiskey or biscuits.

ThomasPaine posted:

Sorry I'm a custard cream man myself

Very correct

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Someone on a biscuit forum said they are cheap because they're on some sort of standard shopping basket list for comparing store prices. So they all compete heavily on bourbon pricing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn’t like custard creams as a child but as an adult with a much more refined palate they’re Alright

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Bold of you to be coming out in favour of the taliban in 2023

Do you think the Taliban were the communist government of Afghanistan in 1970s?

What do you think happened at the outbreak of the deployment?

Is this your first time hearing about the palace coup?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bourbons are cheap because mixing soil with sugar is easy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If bourbons are the only thing keeping this country from revolting then raise them to £3 imo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tbh I do sometimes feel that the only thing that could provoke mass revolt amongst Brits is minor inconveniences like the price of biscuits going up, not, you know, all the social murder going on and that

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Someone on a biscuit forum said they are cheap because they're on some sort of standard shopping basket list for comparing store prices. So they all compete heavily on bourbon pricing.

Ohh that makes a lot of sense actually, very plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah it is often misunderstood but there are multiple examples of this scenario but with the Americans and I wouldn't let them off the hook just because the Government and a minority of its people supported its intervention. It was imperialism, even China saw it as that at the time.