Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

The Demilich posted:

I wonder, will aliens like our wine?

Bread, wine, weed, strawberry ice cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Dogthing posted:

i wanna watch some poo poo in the sky just flick a 90 degree turn and keep on cruisin

My brother told me about witnessing this one night. It's fairly commonly reported. It is possible that some of this is meteors skipping off the atmosphere.

There are other commonly reported weird patterns in satellite-like lights. One thing I've heard a lot is two satellite-like points of light directly approaching each other, meeting at some short distance, doing a circular dance around each other, then continuing on. It seems people also report zig-zag maneuvers and s-curve motions. Green laser-like streaks of light have also been seen in some cases.

Some of this is confused with natural illusory motions we perceive when we look at points of light in the sky. A stationary object like Venus can look like it's dancing, sometimes.

The interesting thing is that s-curve maneuvers were used by the space shuttle to bleed off kinetic energy as it entered the atmosphere. I have no idea what to make of the rendezvous satellites, but I'm sure there's a lot more stuff up there than any government lets on publicly.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

goochtit posted:

Yeah I read Journey & Destiny of Souls several years ago and it pissed me off a little at the time but I did respect how the depicted cosmogony squared the circle with regards to suffering, i.e. no one is here who didn't want to be and every experience is meaningful on the way back to the source

its very premise feels insulting and yet it is disturbingly coherent and cogent

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

We should start keeping our own statistics. How many unique posters posted in this thread last year and how many have had a sighting etc. It seems like every week at least somebody in here is posting about something they just saw.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

blatman posted:

or what if they have like five or six asses

👀

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Wheeee posted:

its very premise feels insulting and yet it is disturbingly coherent and cogent

Doesn't get better than Newton. Seriously, :negative: I've checked

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dogthing posted:

we are literally the evidence that life can grow on planets around suns and we can see the other suns from here this is so easy

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Doesn't get better than Newton. Seriously, :negative: I've checked

if Newton is a charlatan he is a genius

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goochtit posted:

Yeah I read Journey & Destiny of Souls several years ago and it pissed me off a little at the time but I did respect how the depicted cosmogony squared the circle with regards to suffering, i.e. no one is here who didn't want to be and every experience is meaningful on the way back to the source

It's concerning how incredibly ubiquitous this basic premise is, it's like the details differ due to the distortion of individual perception but the overall system is always represented the same way - you are an intentionally separated part of a unified supra-consciousness embarking on a deliberate journey of learning that's only possible through isolated suffering

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Slavvy posted:

It's concerning how incredibly ubiquitous this basic premise is, it's like the details differ due to the distortion of individual perception but the overall system is always represented the same way - you are an intentionally separated part of a unified supra-consciousness embarking on a deliberate journey of learning that's only possible through isolated suffering

If that was the case why would we be allowrd/allow ourselves to know it? Kinda defeats the purpose.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The most common argument seems to be that tantalizing, confusing and contradictory hints of a greater reality give impetus to the striving

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Slavvy posted:

For being part of a unified whole it's impressive how a good chunk of the constituent parts of it all are able to piss me off so much!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goochtit posted:

I mostly wanted to believe but hypnotic regression is intensely suspect, you have to take him on his word that he even did it (let alone that it means anything), and his description of the afterlife/non-material state/etc is internally consistent but just so prosaic

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's basically a core tenet of a lot of New Age belief systems

Take that as you will

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've cooled off on the doom-y reads of what's going on, but I feel like that stuff is maybe just part of the picture.

Like maybe we all embark on this journey by choice, but the exact bounds of what we came from versus what we cycle endlessly through may not be one and the same.

I am still leaning towards a kind of nesting doll reality, and maybe the entire sum of human existence, including what people see during NDE and mystical experience is entirely contained within a lesser sphere

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Demilich posted:

For being part of a unified whole it's impressive how a good chunk of the constituent parts of it all are able to piss me off so much!

It's like when your balls are incredibly itchy and it pisses you off but you can't actually hate your balls

Riot Bimbo posted:

I've cooled off on the doom-y reads of what's going on, but I feel like that stuff is maybe just part of the picture.

Like maybe we all embark on this journey by choice, but the exact bounds of what we came from versus what we cycle endlessly through may not be one and the same.

I am still leaning towards a kind of nesting doll reality, and maybe the entire sum of human existence, including what people see during NDE and mystical experience is entirely contained within a lesser sphere

That's a good take yeah

Barry Foster posted:

It's basically a core tenet of a lot of New Age belief systems

Take that as you will

I'd argue new age poo poo is a blind, groping rediscovery of ancient belief systems that have been suppressed by modern religious/spiritual/capitalist structure. Kinda like how ancient Rome was riddled with cool hip underground cults because their official religion was a prosaic unsexy part of the state bureaucracy, as I understand it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

not everyone gets to know, and not everyone gets the same level of information. some people, via whatever means, get the lil nudge they may have needed

broad strokes of the course of a life are known going in but by virtue of their ignorance of the nature of their existence free will exists for incarnates, you will end up taking your own path towards major ‘waypoints’, and may in fact stray entirely from them in your own random direction

information is communicated using modern language in a manner to be comprehensible to people living in the context of modern society. imagery given is by necessity an approximation of a more abstract truth that can’t be so simply communicated

and so and so on

you can dismiss Newton’s methods categorically, or assume he’s just making poo poo up, but if he’s making poo poo up he’s done a remarkable job of keeping it consistent and logically sound

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My fellow bird watchers. We must find and kill god. That dude, who is also us, sucks.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

new age as a term is too broad to be useful.

the vibes based, internally inconsistent grab-bag spirituality is the form people think of when the term is invoked but it's one of a handful of tendencies that, for people who don't give a poo poo, seem the same at first glance. Largely because the grab-bag variant likes to pull from the stuff it gets lumped in with.

but there have been a lot of revivals, and a spiritual rennaisance of sorts, as old and untranslated texts get translated, the ideas they contain filter down slowly, until Karen the fascist Crystal Witch is selling you ethnic cleansing talismans, and Jim is spiking trees while invoking an obscure prayer Artemis or whatever.

A bunch of cool poo poo is gated behind Brill/other academic publishers and their pricing, because critical and modern english editions of a ton of texts are so niche that one publisher can command high three and four figure amounts for the privilege of reading them in anything but their archaic/dead original languages, but it's out there, and it's interesting when that stuff is actually invoked to reconstruct practices that were largely lost.

In that milleu, you start to see interesting patterns emerge in largely disparate belief and practice.

Idk. Not saying the Tiktok girl talking about auras and vibes has any idea what she's saying, but it might be worth following the breadcrumbs back to the things those ideas are taken from.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

D-Pad posted:

My fellow bird watchers. We must find and kill god. That dude, who is also us, sucks.

I'm of the opinion we should do humiliating pranks on him, who is also us,

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Just punch yourself in the crotch, it's basically the same thing

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
when i die i'm releasing two souls labelled "1" and "3"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Wheeee posted:

not everyone gets to know, and not everyone gets the same level of information. some people, via whatever means, get the lil nudge they may have needed

broad strokes of the course of a life are known going in but by virtue of their ignorance of the nature of their existence free will exists for incarnates, you will end up taking your own path towards major ‘waypoints’, and may in fact stray entirely from them in your own random direction

information is communicated using modern language in a manner to be comprehensible to people living in the context of modern society. imagery given is by necessity an approximation of a more abstract truth that can’t be so simply communicated

and so and so on

you can dismiss Newton’s methods categorically, or assume he’s just making poo poo up, but if he’s making poo poo up he’s done a remarkable job of keeping it consistent and logically sound

Sure, I get that, and I was pretty transfixed in the moment when I was reading them. Weirdly I found that the more detail he went into, though, the less I was convinced - I found the first book way more compelling than the second for exactly this reason.

I dunno, I'm pretty depressive at the moment which is making me highly cynical about stuff in general, but especially "woo" stuff, and especially especially "woo" stuff that I'd otherwise find interesting and/or comforting

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I find woo more interesting when I feel it's absolutely not true. Just the human brain doing its thing in concert with all the others and this weird external stimuli poo poo.

I have also consumed many, many hours of Art Bell in the last couple years so all I know about is crop circles, cattle killings and Bob Dole.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

all shall follow the path, for the path is grey. you must look away from the lights of possible futures and follow Geno

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

I follow mellow

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/tymetwx/status/1622560652945489923

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Feb 6, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh, big earthquakes huh? real scary, get in line

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Are we in the literal end times

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Hope we get to see the big creatures

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yes, climate change is very real and very bad

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

endocriminologist posted:

I'm of the opinion we should do humiliating pranks on him, who is also us,

What if it's god's fetish?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
the birds :tinfoil:
https://twitter.com/OsintTV/status/1622590458353393665
what did they know, and when did they know it?!?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yes, for many different reasons. Come join the biosphere thread to learn about a few of those reasons :(

Delta-Wye posted:

If I had wings I wouldn't stay on the ground either if I knew an earthquake was coming.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What if it's god's fetish?

Well jokes on us (who are god) >:]

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

so, back to the aliens with multiple asses,

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Twice I've seen the same weird thing in the night sky, first in late 2007 approx. 2 hours before dawn, second in early 2021 around midnight. The phenomenon itself was a line of white light that just suddenly appeared without any apparent direction, motion, or curvature, bisecting the sky. It lasted maybe half a second before fading to nothing, so I didn't have a lot of time to observe, but it seemed to stretch from horizon to horizon. Brightness was roughly in the range of the main stars in Cassiopeia. I think the second was dimmer than the first, but couldn't say for sure. Both were visible despite pretty substantial light pollution though.

It for sure wasn't a satellite constellation or meteor. The only explanation I can think of is maybe some particles grazed the atmosphere at some serious fraction of c and shed a bunch of energy, but I've never seen anyone report similar experiences to compare it to and can't remember enough details to confidently confirm/deny it from what little I know.

For the :tinfoil: the first was on an air force base in Okinawa, the second near the Portland airport that is also an ANG base.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

the idea of a bright object careening in from the horizon and taking a hard instant 90° turn being a deflected meteor potentially devalues my presumed close encounter / sighting from 2003 that I reported long ago itt.

just can’t remember clearly if it stopped for an instant before impossibly accelerating off at a perpendicular angle, or if it was more of a ping-pong ball bounce.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

Animals have always seemed to have a sixth sense about earthquakes. It's just a thing. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

the idea of a bright object careening in from the horizon and taking a hard instant 90° turn being a deflected meteor potentially devalues my presumed close encounter / sighting from 2003 that I reported long ago itt.

just can’t remember clearly if it stopped for an instant before impossibly accelerating off at a perpendicular angle, or if it was more of a ping-pong ball bounce.

i'm thinking the geometry and velocity of the meteoroid would have to be pretty wacky to deflect off an atmosphere at such an angle. the one good video I've seen of it happening shows the object skimming the atmosphere at a shallow angle then bouncing off mostly in-line with its original trajectory. if you saw something taking a right angle turn and then GAIN velocity then it.. probably wasn't a meteor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wbGDJCJk9E