Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If I had to use manga terms, she's like a tsundere where the "tsun" and "Dere" are both Yandere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

The more is revealed about his parents the more I have to wonder by what kind of miracle did Damian turn out mostly OK.

He's only 6 years old and already has some big issues. I'm not sure you should count your chickens on this one...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
was it ever explained why that one g man seemed kind of intent on getting such high ranking hostages killed? i couldn't tell if it was ideological opposition to giving terrorist any leeway or if he had an ulterior motive. maybe it'll be covered in the chapter where they execute all the terrorist gangland style

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Darth Walrus posted:

That thought-process is so scrambled that I'm wondering if she's the victim of some actual psychic fuckery. Remember those suspicious scars on Donovan's temples?

I'm thinking it's simply that she got into a political marriage with someone she ended up hating, so some of those feelings get projected onto their son, making for a really toxic mixture of love and hate

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tarezax posted:

I'm thinking it's simply that she got into a political marriage with someone she ended up hating, so some of those feelings get projected onto their son, making for a really toxic mixture of love and hate

Yeah it's probably this. As much as I hate the comparison, it's probably akin to Todoroki Rei in MHA, where she loved her son but the resemblance to her abuser drove her to a bout of insanity and hurting him. She absolutely has some issues with Donovan.

Edit: Hell, rereading she asks Damian not to tell Donovan she picked him up. Something's (more) hosed (than we thought) at the Donovans'.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

was it ever explained why that one g man seemed kind of intent on getting such high ranking hostages killed? i couldn't tell if it was ideological opposition to giving terrorist any leeway or if he had an ulterior motive. maybe it'll be covered in the chapter where they execute all the terrorist gangland style

Realistically, it's how a lot of these police forces "handled" this sort of situation. Endo was drawing from historical examples of lovely, authoritarian regimes here, to the point where if there genuinely was someone that they could not afford to get killed, like in one case where an American ambassador was nabbed, they had no real playbook to draw from.

Melinda seems like she sure needs help. Badly.

Also, what a lovely reaction image that I now have. It works both ways!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I guess I'm mainly thinking about this in story-mechanical ways. We've had a recurring subplot about a covert organisation who have been engaging in deeply unethical psychic experiments, mind manipulation is one of the classic psychic powers, the main villain has suspicious scars on his temples, and now we're seeing that the mind of the main villain's wife is completely shattered and she's torn between extreme love and extreme hate of her son. It just seems like all of those being related somehow would be the most elegant situation (though very much not in the Henderson way).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I find the Desmond Psychic Experiment theory to be rather ridiculous. Could it be true? Maybe. Should it affect our reading of the manga when there's real-world explanations for poo poo? Absolutely not.

We got a glimpse at Melinda's thoughts. She's clearly got problems. We know that the Desmond family is powerful and its members distant from each other. That she would have complicated and unhealthy feelings towards her son as a result is tragic but not evidence of psychic tampering.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

I Am Fowl posted:

I find the Desmond Psychic Experiment theory to be rather ridiculous. Could it be true? Maybe. Should it affect our reading of the manga when there's real-world explanations for poo poo? Absolutely not.

We got a glimpse at Melinda's thoughts. She's clearly got problems. We know that the Desmond family is powerful and its members distant from each other. That she would have complicated and unhealthy feelings towards her son as a result is tragic but not evidence of psychic tampering.

Yeah, no need to go all conspiracy theory when we could have the psychic little girl read the mind of the prognosticating superscience dog to figure out where this is all going!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just because these things are possible, doesn't mean they're always the answer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, it'd be weirder if the psychic conspiracy plot thread didn't get brought up again, wouldn't it?

It's not exactly wild speculation when two major characters already have backstory related to it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it'd be weirder if the psychic conspiracy plot thread didn't get brought up again, wouldn't it?

It's not exactly wild speculation when two major characters already have backstory related to it.
The problem I have is that Desmond seemed pretty adamant that humans can't understand each other so I'd imagine if he did take part in any psychic experiments he was a failure and not a success like Anya was. If he could read minds I'd imagine he'd be less cynical because he'd be walking proof that it is possible. But he could also be just that jaded because he can read human minds with an adults perspective, unlike Anya, that even with perfect access to the thoughts of those around him he feels humans are incomprehensible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

The problem I have is that Desmond seemed pretty adamant that humans can't understand each other so I'd imagine if he did take part in any psychic experiments he was a failure and not a success like Anya was. If he could read minds I'd imagine he'd be less cynical because he'd be walking proof that it is possible. But he could also be just that jaded because he can read human minds with an adults perspective, unlike Anya, that even with perfect access to the thoughts of those around him he feels humans are incomprehensible.

Remember that the psychic experiments we've seen have resulted in at least two completely different powers. Brainwashing/compulsion without telepathy might be thematically fitting for Desmond - he can't understand people, but he can make them do what he wants.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 6, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that the psychic experiments we've seen have resulted in at least two completely different powers. Brainwashing/compulsion without telepathy might be thematically fitting for Desmond - he can't understand people, but he can make them do what he wants.
Sure, but that could just be an issue of species influencing the outcome as well as what those researchers were trying to do any given experiment. And if Desmond could brainwash people, it begs the question why he doesn't attempt this on every person he encounters. Sure, one factor could be the conditions of his power being just strict enough to forbid casual usage, or a personality quirk where he doesn't care to use this power on other people frivolously. But he seemingly hasn't used it on Damian but chose his own wife when it seems completely clear he has no regard for his own son? Since if Melinda is any example this kind of mind control might exhibit extreme conflict within the minds of the victims should the mental suggestion conflict with their base personality. But if the person wanted to do what Desmond wants them to do anyways, is that why Damian is so driven to bring honor to the family name like you would have to assume Melinda is driven to maintain the appearances of being a decent mother?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

It's all a misdirect so we don't see the 50s/60s style Mecha fight coming.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Sure, but that could just be an issue of species influencing the outcome as well as what those researchers were trying to do any given experiment. And if Desmond could brainwash people, it begs the question why he doesn't attempt this on every person he encounters. Sure, one factor could be the conditions of his power being just strict enough to forbid casual usage, or a personality quirk where he doesn't care to use this power on other people frivolously. But he seemingly hasn't used it on Damian but chose his own wife when it seems completely clear he has no regard for his own son? Since if Melinda is any example this kind of mind control might exhibit extreme conflict within the minds of the victims should the mental suggestion conflict with their base personality. But if the person wanted to do what Desmond wants them to do anyways, is that why Damian is so driven to bring honor to the family name like you would have to assume Melinda is driven to maintain the appearances of being a decent mother?

One rather grim option is that he hasn't scrambled Damian's brain like he has Melinda's because he doesn't care enough about him to bother.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Another possibility is that it's the unseen Desmond brother who is the real culprit and at this point Donovan is just his puppet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Another possibility is that it's the unseen Desmond brother who is the real culprit and at this point Donovan is just his puppet.

Also plausible, and might explain why Donovan himself is so weird. Having his own brand of brain-scrambling would certainly recontextualise his meeting with Loid, and his reasons for avoiding social interaction as much as possible.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 6, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fangz posted:

I can take or leave the idea of there being ~spooky psychic powers~ responsible for everything wrong within Donovan family, but Donovan being just a figurehead/puppet would actually be a pretty wild twist. Especially if the only one who would know would be Anya.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I can take or leave the idea of there being ~spooky psychic powers~ responsible for everything wrong within Donovan family, but Donovan being just a figurehead/puppet would actually be a pretty wild twist. Especially if the only one who would know would be Anya.

A wild and appropriate twist, seeing as it would yet again mean that Loid and WISE are assuming that some poor brain-broken schlub is a brilliant evil mastermind.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

it's the result of her mental state going off the side of a cliffhanger every month

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah it's probably this. As much as I hate the comparison, it's probably akin to Todoroki Rei in MHA, where she loved her son but the resemblance to her abuser drove her to a bout of insanity and hurting him. She absolutely has some issues with Donovan.

Edit: Hell, rereading she asks Damian not to tell Donovan she picked him up. Something's (more) hosed (than we thought) at the Donovans'.

Agreed, I feel like she loves her kids but like she hates her husband and she's stuck with him because of hosed up class/social standards-based reasons. It'd be interesting if psychic poo poo came into play but I think the real reason is just a totally hosed up marriage.

On a lighter note

Lt. Lizard posted:

"I saw Melinda's car on my way here" Turbo Yor legit outran a car on her way to Anya. :allears:

Got a big kick out of that. She's the fastest thing aliiiive

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The fact that Melinda was 100% tsun until Desmond was mentioned, which seemed to flip her crazy switch, makes it feel overarching-story-important and not just one person's tragic backstory.

It's also probably story-significant that Anya was asleep when Loid met Desmond, 'cause something ain't right there.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yor using the speed force like the bloody Flash was just :allears:

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Mirage posted:

The fact that Melinda was 100% tsun until Desmond was mentioned, which seemed to flip her crazy switch, makes it feel overarching-story-important and not just one person's tragic backstory.

100% dere. If she'd been 100% tsun it'd mean she'd be acting something like Donovan did around Damian - tsun is the harsh part of tsundere, not the loving part.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
A lot going on with the Desmond family that's for sure.

Melinda's wording is pretty interesting, "You absolutely cannot let that man know that I came here."

Does she not want Donovan to know she came to pick Damian up? From this highly dangerous terrorist attack where all the kids nearly died?
Both her and her husband brushed off the incident where Anya punched Damian alarmingly quick when asked about it by Loid and Yor, so is it... bad? for Donovan to know she cares about her son for some reason?

She's been previously stated to be estranged from her family yet she came here of her own volition when told about it so she definitely loves Damian in some aspect, it's just when he mentions his dad that something basically triggers in her. Maybe she's trapped in this marriage and can't leave without abandoning her children or looking really bad in the process? (If unmarried women are sus then what about divorced ones? How much valuable info would she hold as a former first lady?) Hence the resentment because if she wasn't the mother of Donovan Desmond's sons, she'd be free from her husband or anything that comes with being a public political figure.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Damien appears to have a crush on Anya. If he does have a crush on Anya, shouldn't Anya know, since she can read minds?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

Damien appears to have a crush on Anya. If he does have a crush on Anya, shouldn't Anya know, since she can read minds?

She is like 5. Reading minds doesn't mean you understand. She only gets Loid and Yor because of a crippling TV addiction.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nebrilos posted:

Damien's clearly in denial(and lying to himself in his own inner monologue) and Anya's a 5 year old who doesn't really have the life experience or context to really understand most of what she gets through her mind reading anyways.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

narm00 posted:

100% dere. If she'd been 100% tsun it'd mean she'd be acting something like Donovan did around Damian - tsun is the harsh part of tsundere, not the loving part.

Erk. My weeb card will be revoked.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

VibrantPareidolia posted:

A lot going on with the Desmond family that's for sure.

Melinda's wording is pretty interesting, "You absolutely cannot let that man know that I came here."

Does she not want Donovan to know she came to pick Damian up? From this highly dangerous terrorist attack where all the kids nearly died?
Both her and her husband brushed off the incident where Anya punched Damian alarmingly quick when asked about it by Loid and Yor, so is it... bad? for Donovan to know she cares about her son for some reason?

She's been previously stated to be estranged from her family yet she came here of her own volition when told about it so she definitely loves Damian in some aspect, it's just when he mentions his dad that something basically triggers in her. Maybe she's trapped in this marriage and can't leave without abandoning her children or looking really bad in the process? (If unmarried women are sus then what about divorced ones? How much valuable info would she hold as a former first lady?) Hence the resentment because if she wasn't the mother of Donovan Desmond's sons, she'd be free from her husband or anything that comes with being a public political figure.

I have some theories about this. The reason I think they brushed off the punch is that, it REALLY wasn't a big deal. It's literally two preschool to elementary school kids getting into a fight, but because of their status everyone immediately kowtows to them in supplication about the events when it's a minor issue easily resolved(especially since it was Damian who instigated). One way I've seen it interpreted is that Melinda loves her son, but HATES Donovan which seems to track here since she was being very sickeningly sweet and affectionate until he was brought up. I think it's equal parts politically arranged marriage and feeling trapped with no way out due to suspicion from divorce and possible resentment from her kids(she seemed REALLY tripped up when Damian mentioned not wanting to upset him with his crying).

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My ridiculous theorycrafting: Desmond has the psychic ability to predict what someone will do, but never why they did it. He knows how to bully or persuade anyone into obeying him, but he's like a kid randomly hitting keys until the machine does what he wants. He wanted a loving wife, so he mangled someone until they could act the part; he may not even be aware that they're unhappy.

That's why he became interested in Loid; he was able to predict what Loid's persona should do, and then Loid broke the pattern.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like people are getting a bit in the weeds with this when it can be as simple as Melinda despises Donovan and this is a pretty straightforward "I love my kid but they also remind me of their father, whom I hate" thing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The main takeaway I had was Damian clearly did not expect his mom (or anyone) to show up, and Melinda didn't want her husband to know that she was there. After her child was involved in a hostage situation. The "best" rationale would be extreme paranoia about unplanned public appearances and someone trying to take advantage of that, but along with her first appearance it seems less like she's being directly micromanaged in that sort of manner and more that there are... consequences for certain behaviors (even if those consequences are as simple as "made to interact with Donovan, whom she despises"). It's certainly not the most functional family, at any rate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nobody's entertaining the possibility of aliens, so I'm just going to be the first one to float that one.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Nobody's entertaining the possibility of aliens, so I'm just going to be the first one to float that one.

Anya is absolutely considering the possibility of fighting against aliens. :colbert:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hogama posted:

The main takeaway I had was Damian clearly did not expect his mom (or anyone) to show up, and Melinda didn't want her husband to know that she was there. After her child was involved in a hostage situation. The "best" rationale would be extreme paranoia about unplanned public appearances and someone trying to take advantage of that, but along with her first appearance it seems less like she's being directly micromanaged in that sort of manner and more that there are... consequences for certain behaviors (even if those consequences are as simple as "made to interact with Donovan, whom she despises"). It's certainly not the most functional family, at any rate.

Donovan seems to be purposefully neglectful of Desmond and it wouldn't surprise me if he was ordering Melinda do the same.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The story becomes invasion of the bodysnatchers and Anya's telepathy, Loid's extreme attention to detail, Bond's precognition, and Yor's battle acumen are needed to suss out who the skin walkers are and take them down.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I want vintage space shenanigans a la Forbidden Planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Compendium posted:

I want vintage space shenanigans a la Forbidden Planet

that'd just be that Worthikids video

which would be p. good actually