Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How do you do a real squid game show that’s not just Wipeout or MXC/Takeshi’s Castle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Finally, the Torment Nexus is real!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

galagazombie posted:

How do you do a real squid game show that’s not just Wipeout or MXC/Takeshi’s Castle?

it's just gonna be fall guys i guess

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
New episode of The Last of Us was good.

I started out kinda lukewarm on the show (the first two episodes felt WAY too much like a video game but I still got engrossed) and it's getting better.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

poker face is good

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
hope kid cudi's doing ok

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

galagazombie posted:

they're actually killing people

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Squid Game is just schoolyard games so without real danger it would be way duller than Wipeout/MXC.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

McCloud posted:

As I like pointing out, at one point the CIA stooge heroically uses a drone to blow up the black revolutionaries

Also the CIA used its official twitter account to promote the movie, lol

plz repost i want to see it

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

went and saw Knock at the Cabin yesterday and imo it was v mediocre. great acting, esp by bautista and the kid, and it looked great but idk, the story just wasn't there for me, and imo the ending wasn't great. i looked up the book plot after and i wish it woulda stayed closer to that ending...... but m night is not really like that i guess. i think spiritually it's his closest to Signs, but i had more fun watching Split and Old.

anyway silver lining, i saw this bitchin bumper sticker in the parking lot, Sorcerer is incredible

ya watched Sorceror recently and could not fathom how they did the bridge setpiece. looked insanely dangerous.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

the scholastic bookfair did more to advance the SJW agenda than CRT ever did. The conservatives are still missing the real threat to traditional family values

this is very true and its extremely funny to think that woke branding has probably significantly retarded what little actual progressive messaging media had both by making it way more obvious and thus more vulnerable to attack but also by making it way more lazy and stupid so that no kid would ever actually notice it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Is Firefly sort of Confederate apologia because it’s cribbing from a lot of classic westerns, so it’s an aesthetic / genre convention or is it ideological?

The “States Rights” the Independent Planets are asking for are just defined in terms of Lost Cause romanticism from the 1890’s on, frontier individualism etc. which again makes sense as a homage to classic westerns, but doesn’t really hold up in the case of the CSA (South Carolina was explicit about slavery being the critical right).

I realize Firefly is passé and belongs to an older Nerd Culture, but it’s funny that it could go either way: homage to the genre or belief in moonlight and magnolias trodden on by Yankee tyrants.

one of the weirder aspects of firefly is despite like half of any given episode being whedon beating himself off over his awesome world building i dont think it is ever made clear what exactly nathan fillion and the other revolutionaries even wanted that they picked a fight against the government in the first place the few times a material complaint is even mentioned the context is that the governments not sending enough supplies to the outer planets which isnt exactly the kind of problem you fix by shooting at them more often

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

There's like 50 interpretations but basically movies with a single protagonist by default do this:

Show the protagonist's ordinary life, they have a flaw (first 10 minutes)
Something happens that disturbs that life (10-15 minutes)
Something forces/they choose to begin a change (20-30 minutes)
They enter a new world (30-60 minutes)
Some kind of reversal of what they/the audience expected. Now they have to fix their flaw (around 60 minutes)
Things for the character either get really bad or really good but in a false way (60 minutes - 100 minutes)
A crisis happens that forces them to make a big choice
They go for it - A chase, an escape, a rescue. Something that's now or never. Finally resolve their flaw.
They learn a lesson in order to win / lose which teaches them a lesson. A big fight or a passionate kiss or whatever.
All the lose threads are tied up. (last 10 minutes or less)

120 minutes is the default length of a film and screenwriters are told to try to limit yourself to 120 pages or less because roughly it's 1 page / 1 minute screentime

this post made me even angrier than usual at free guy than usual since it would be a pretty good use of the formula if the movie didnt cut away every ten minutes to dumb boring nerds doing dumb boring nerd explanations of scenes wed just watched instead of just going to the next step in the sequence

yes he obviously lives in a video game you dont need to repeatedly tell me that when "this guy lives in a video game" is the whole drat premise of the movie!!!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

the people who like Orville are the people who will tell you they like Star Trek TNG except for the first season, first quarter of season two, any two parters, parts of season five, episodes focusing on Data, and episodes with the Borg

i like star trek tng except for the episodes which are about end of history neolibs being smugly morally superior to people from other cultures which is enough of them i dont generally say i like tng

tried watching orville with my dad his response was interesting but not impressive and im inclined to agree he really liked expanse and were going to try three body when i get back

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

In TV the showrunner is not the director

the showrunner absolutely outranks the director. in tv, the director does the grunt work of blocking and approvals and such while the showrunner sits literally over their shoulder to make the important decisions. a tv director is so unimportant that you end up with actors, stunt coordinators, assistant directors, and even script supervisors filling the chair.

e: this lack of autonomy is obviously dependent on the producers'/studio's level of trust in the director's ability, which also stems from how much the studio is willing to pay for good directors and scheduling to allow the director enough prep and shooting time. generally, the fewer directors there are, the better (or at least more coherent) the show will be.

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 08:43 on Feb 6, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

the showrunner absolutely outranks the director. in tv, the director does the grunt work of blocking and approvals and such while the showrunner sits literally over their shoulder to make the important decisions. a tv director is so unimportant that you end up with actors, stunt coordinators, assistant directors, and even script supervisors filling the chair.

yes exactly, thank you for agreeing. the director is the only person who can talk to the actors. it's a job that has a guild/union which protects that right. it's not the showrunner, and the show runner doesn't work with the actors on a scene by scene basis

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the interesting thing voyager and enterprise do to the formula is have the spaceship be in a weak position because more often than not theyre dealing with regular rear end aliens with some significant material advantage so the conflict is almost never oh poor widdle pwanet wid no warp drive wet whe wice wumans welp wu or evil aliens are evil but thats ok because humans are so good we'll make them less evil

from the way ive seen new trek described it kind of sounds like humans are now simultaneously condescending innately good but also innately evil somehow to basically everyone they meet so i dont even know what to think

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

yes exactly, thank you for agreeing. the director is the only person who can talk to the actors. it's a job that has a guild/union which protects that right. it's not the showrunner, and the show runner doesn't work with the actors on a scene by scene basis

depends on the show tbh. while the showrunner doesn't formally direct the actors on camera, they will absolutely discuss how scenes fit into the larger narrative and "suggestions" for how to portray it both personally and through the director.

it's just like how dga rules dictate that the director can't direct the action of individual background actors, but they can absolutely tell the assistant directors to do so

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ok thanks for sharing

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I've seen it happen dozens of times. also the dga is one of the most toothless unions out there, no showrunner ever has or will get in trouble for overstepping their role

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
ok so how many people ITT are watching sorcerer because of the actionboyz?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lol del toro just loving killing pinnochio and having the death angel tell him he's trapped in an endless cycle of life and death. the songs are kind of mid but this is better than the disney pinocchio

and now the fascist want to turn him into a super soldier.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Durf posted:

ya watched Sorceror recently and could not fathom how they did the bridge setpiece. looked insanely dangerous.

The Bluray transfer looks great, but it sucks that there's no behind-the-scenes footage or even just a commentary track from Friedkin.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Dominiquetaegon/status/1622561482226429956?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Orville is perfectly fine.

Its definitely better than the Treks that are written by people who would rather be writing a Mass Effect tv series.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Don't know why its so hard for people to admit both Trek AND the Orville are trash

Just awful

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Going onto a platform with millions of users to announce that you're a shithead who despises fun.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Orville has an affection for Trek that, as someone said, is unmistakable compared to the soyfacing epic would-be mass effect

Just like Joss Whedon possibly has an affection for JEB Stuart.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

Don't know why its so hard for people to admit both Trek AND the Orville are trash

Just awful

Honestly, Trek was always a mixed bag and even then I would say it ran out of gas back in the mid-1990s. I never got the Orville. Hell, even DS-9 and TNG had plenty of bad episodes or straight filler. Granted, Scifi has a genre has pretty much been run out of the ground since it was at its heart powered by some type of optimism for the future.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The future is still wildly optimistic, you just have to understand it will be 40k with only man invading and breaking worlds.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

did anyone catch that hilarious bit of the Grammys where they put together this package of fake news anchors reporting on fake headlines like “PROTEST TURNS INTO A CONCERT; Police put down weapons to dance with protesters” and “GOVERNMENTS ACROSS GLOBE CHANGE LAWS TO SUPPORT WOMENS RIGHTS AFTER NEW SONG’S POPULARITY” and then the CEO of the Grammys comes out and says “those aren’t real headlines… but they could be!”

I’ve been trying to find a video to share but I think it may have been scrubbed from the internet out of embarassment

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LEHMAN BROTHERS OFFICIALLY BECOMES LEHMAN SISTERS; BOARD CREDITS BEYONCE FOR CHANGE

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Koirhor posted:

people told me orville was good, started season 2 after watching the first season years ago

ahem, lol thats straight trash

People are desperate for Scifi like TNG and fooled themselves into thinking the Family Guy Creator gave it to them

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Laterite posted:

no idea what the actionboys is but everyone should watch sorcerer, one of the greatest films of the 70's, the greatest decade of cinema.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Laterite posted:

I might eventually but I never watch a movie they're doing if I haven't seen it already, I like hearing them talk about it first

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

KomradeX posted:

People are desperate for Scifi like TNG and fooled themselves into thinking the Family Guy Creator gave it to them

This

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

no idea what the actionboys is but everyone should watch sorcerer, one of the greatest films of the 70's, the greatest decade of cinema.

The 4k print was the last movie I saw before the pandemic hit and everything closed. loving banger to go out on

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

KomradeX posted:

The 4k print was the last movie I saw before the pandemic hit and everything closed. loving banger to go out on

Oh that is fuckin noice. I had the opposite experience, the last film I saw in a cinema before covid was The Gentlemen :|

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cookie Cutter posted:

Oh that is fuckin noice. I had the opposite experience, the last film I saw in a cinema before covid was The Gentlemen :|

I liked the part where Colin Farrell is in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

RLM nailed nu-trek by explaining that the characters of nu-trek are very unprofessional thus giving the whole show an unserious air. Hemmer was the best character in SNW because he was a strict professional unlike the quippy smartass captain or teenager crewmen.