Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

Afghanistan's population was reduced from 15.5 million to 8 or 9 million people between 1979 and 1992...

Largely to refugee emigration, which naturally deprived the Soviets of the people they had come to save - the tiny core of urban educated who were able to quickly leave the outbreak of civil war. Instead, they would be in Pakistan or Iran.

A large part of the emigration occurred before the Afghan army's control of the countryside would totally collapse - by the end of 1980, there were ~4 million Afghans in Pakistan and a million more in Iran - so the initial Soviet assertion of order in the cities had made possible the rapid flight without restoring sufficient confidence to make it attractive to stay.

The sheer size of this effect makes the Soviet-Afghan war quite strange - even Iraqi brain drain is distant in comparison. I have no real point to this observation, but the topic did come up recently ITT, so I guess it's tangentially interesting

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Meal Deal is reaching tipping point

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Meal Deal? More like Portion Extortion

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

stev posted:

To this day my mind still assumes bourbon whiskey is going to taste of the biscuit and I feel a pang of disappointment when it doesn't.

Has anyone made bourbon flavoured bourbon? They should.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/spirit/bourbon-bourbon/bourbon-bourbon-spirit/

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I've heard that in some tescos in London a meal deal can now be as much as £10.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

You'll get more nutrients by just eating the money

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

You'll get more nutrients by just eating the money

and a pleasant high from trace cocaine

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion and I think SuperTankskii is an annoying centrist dweeb but I think it's kinda dumb to crucify someone over what was clearly a stupid bad joke they made while drunk in their early 20s. It was a stupid thing to do but I don't remotely think she's actually a huge fan of Hitler.
People are enjoying reminding her of it because (a) she straight up called Corbyn an antisemite over far less, (b) she made the mistake of coming after twitter leftist babble a while back, and (c) her entire brand on tiktok is that stupid aggro-centrist "look at what the tories are doing" without ever adressing the root causes or examining it in a wider context - basically a dipshit with no knowledge of politics who nevertheless has decided to place herself front and centre commenting on it.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I didn’t like custard creams as a child but as an adult with a much more refined palate they’re Alright
Mostly they're alright because a £2 bag of chocolate lasts for an hour if that, a 60p pack of custard creams lasts me a few days. Staves off the snacky urges without costing me a shitload.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Party rings are the best biscuits. 50p for a pack of 20.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Wait, some of you go on political tiktok?

Why not just pick up self flagellation?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mega Comrade posted:

Wait, some of you go on tiktok?

Why not just pick up self fellation?

I just don't understand it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Britannica Dictionary definition of SELF–FLAGELLATION. [noncount] : the act of hitting yourself with a whip as a way to punish yourself or as part of a religious ritual

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

And much like Dwarf Bread, they last for ages

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

When I went to South Africa I had a bit of a Zoo Biscuit addiction, they’re similar to party rings. I then realised how terribly unhealthy they are.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I've never et a nice south african biscuit.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Plywood hardtack dipped in Lyle's golden syrup. I think the dead lion is fitting personally.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Party rings are absolute bullshit

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Wait, some of you go on political tiktok?
The missus uses it, tanskiii videos used to come up a lot just after the smoke was clearing post-brexit. Usually her greenscreened over an article about something a politician has done, calling everyone involved a fucktruffle in a weird baby voice.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Agreed. TikToks whole format is something I just don't enjoy. I thought when it first blew up it was the moment I 'became old' but my mum loves it as do my older sisters. My nephew hates it like me so :shrug:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

sebzilla posted:

Here's an elevenses question for all the thing-knowers on this place

Why are bourbon biscuits so cheap? The Sainsbury's own-brand ones I get are cheaper per 100g than their malted milks, their nices, even their rich teas. Their only rival in the 17p/100g stakes are the oaty ones, which are also very good imo

Price elasticity of demand. They're poo poo biscuits.

Get yourself a packet of Ginger Nuts instead mate.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tiktok reminds me of when I was younger and someone else had the remote, and they were flicking through the channels so you'd get a constant barrage of a few seconds of audio before switching. :cloud:

Only with that loving cheery robot voice interspersed. If the Chinese were trying to psychologically destabilise the west, that'd certainly be a strong start.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm just extremely against anything that encourages me to waste my life mindlessly scrolling for dopamine hits.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah tiktok is the absolute definition of depressive hedonia. Plenty easy to wake up in the morning, say you'll have fifteen mins scrolling, and the next thing you know it's 2pm.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TikTok is absolutely rancid even by the standards of social media. It has all the duplicity of other social media, claiming to give you a curated feed while silently promoting premium content and actively suppressing even those you've subscribed to, but in a constant stream where every swipe and touch seems designed to hit you with an endless wall of noise without a millisecond of peace or control.

YouTube shorts at least let you dip in and out between proper videos without losing what you were watching before. TikTok feels like a nightmare made real.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kin posted:

Price elasticity of demand. They're poo poo biscuits.

Get yourself a packet of Ginger Nuts instead mate.

Got some of each in my biscuit jar right now, pal

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I've tried to TikTok a few times but always leave, it's just too much all the time.

Cheap Bourbons are always good, they're even cheap in The Shop.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah tiktok is the absolute definition of depressive hedonia. Plenty easy to wake up in the morning, say you'll have fifteen mins scrolling, and the next thing you know it's 2pm.

This is it - I was astonished when I looked at the traffic breakdown for my internet connection. I figured the top application would be Netflix, or maybe Youtube, but no - it's Instagram. My wife will just sit scrolling through endless videos which I assume originated on Tiktok. The main thing I don't understand is they all have such loving annoying sound. My phone volume is always off - I never want it to make a sound. I don't get how she enjoys it.

My ideal social video consumtion is an old guy talking about woodwork (Paul Sellers) or those restoration videos that have no talking (Hand Tool Rescue). I even despitse Youtube shorts - so much that I've found a way to eliminate them from my life:

If you add this code to uBlock, it eliminates shorts from your feed on desktop

This Chrome extension converts shorts into regular videos and gives you your volume control and skip options back (why the hell would they be removed?)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The only YouTube shorts I will click on are Rollercoaster POVs and Eddie Hall making faces at people doing weird strength challenges.

TikTok looks awful, I will never

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Is Eddie Hall alright? He seems sound enough and I like watching him pick up heavy things but I know lots of strongman/gym bro types tend to gravitate towards alt right red pill bullshit so I'm kinda waiting to hear that he's gone on some insane tirade about the soyification of the western male or whatever.

Absolutely died at this documentary I watched about him though, apparently he has to eat near continuously just to maintain his strength and sometimes if he's too full or feeling unwell etc he has to make up the deficit by literally drinking olive oil lol. Can't imagine that's going to be good for anyone long term.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Thank you for this - I was searching for a way to do exactly this just yesterday

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

My ideal social video consumtion is an old guy talking about woodwork (Paul Sellers)

Yes I love this guy! I don't even do woodwork.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

This Chrome extension converts shorts into regular videos and gives you your volume control and skip options back (why the hell would they be removed?)

I assume because tiktok doesn't have them and the surefire path to website success is looking at what else is popular and cargo culting every detail of it with no particular understanding of the underlying reasons

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Barry Foster posted:

Thank you for this - I was searching for a way to do exactly this just yesterday

I've shared this in several places and am reassured that I'm not just a belligerent old oval office by how many people appreciate it. It's not even as though we miss out on any content since everything in my feed was just snippets of existing videos, not anything new!

Angepain posted:

I assume because tiktok doesn't have them and the surefire path to website success is looking at what else is popular and cargo culting every detail of it with no particular understanding of the underlying reasons

Someone suggested to me it was to provide the 'mobile experience' but that could have been done by aspect ratio alone. Normal Youtube videos have a volume/progress bar on mobile, it makes no loving sense to do away with them. It's why I don't watch Instagram videos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

Yes, but you're generally not expecting to get shot to death by the guys you asked to help you.

"We were invited" was a laughable pretext even at the time and an obvious figleaf for naked imperialism. It's embarrassing for someone to parrot it in 2023.

Well yes that was broadly my point, there are always some people in the country who support the existing government.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

People are enjoying reminding her of it because (a) she straight up called Corbyn an antisemite over far less, (b) she made the mistake of coming after twitter leftist babble a while back, and (c) her entire brand on tiktok is that stupid aggro-centrist "look at what the tories are doing" without ever adressing the root causes or examining it in a wider context - basically a dipshit with no knowledge of politics who nevertheless has decided to place herself front and centre commenting on it.
Also anyone who suddenly came out with "hey I just heard about the link between the Jews and 9/11, have you guys heard about this?" in the 2010s doesn't get any benefit of any doubt on any hitlers, real or hypothetical.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Someone on a biscuit forum said
You can't post this and not link the biscuit forum.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

99 if you mention the unlisted biscuit subforum again we're kicking you out and appointing a new ik for the jammy dodger thread.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I love party rings. Twin pack in Home Bargains is 89p IIRC
Quite filling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like a biscuit forum should be like, an option for those boxes of biscuits you get at xmas.

Like a whole bunch of different biscuits arranged in a ring around a central biscuit debate floor.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like a biscuit forum should be like, an option for those boxes of biscuits you get at xmas.

Like a whole bunch of different biscuits arranged in a ring around a central biscuit debate floor.

And debates about how on earth Americans can call soft squashy dough things - scones if you will - a hard crunchy name like biscuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

When was the last time you saw a biscuit that was actually cooked twice, as the Romans intended

Tweren't like this back in my day :reject: