Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Black Phone

Pretty good movie. Ending was just ok.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Mad God
4/5
This is just the next logical step from svankmajer, to the brothers quay, to this.

There's no way I wouldn't love this thing, considering what a fan I am of those creators.

Yeah, Mad God isn't really a cohesive thing, more just really interesting sequences set to great sound design..but look at the surrealist dark stop-motion roots it comes from and realize, that's pretty much all you need with these. That's the attraction folks.

I could see it being a hard sell for people looking for a story and not just a visually trippy work of art, but I would say this; think about the fact that it took 30 years to make this thing and approach it from that angle.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Andrei Rublev 4.5/5. Good, but I liked Stalker more for sure. Kind of had my mind wander off while watching it a few times. Amazing shots though.

Babylon 4/5. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Was under the impression it was a very different kind of film for some reason.

M3GAN 2.5/5. Also better than I thought, was genuinely funny a few times. Never scary though. But it was a pretty dumb short watch.

Holy Spider 4/5. Very haram things he did.

Easy Rider 3/5. Some hilarious effects there near the end. Was entertained enough, but not a classic for me. First time watching.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
RRR is one of the best movies I've seen all year. It's like an Indian Kung Fu Hustle; the magnum opus of "Bollywood" (apparently actually "Tollywood"?) over the top action/comedy/drama (it wears a lot of hats in a three hour run time.)

It's fun, novel, colorful and weird in a way the endless parade of western CGI action films aren't.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Didn't even realize this thread existed, been posting mini reviews with ratings in the "first reaction" thread like a chump forever.

This is the latest:

Hour of the Wolf - Part of my ongoing watchthrough of Bergman's filmography, this is his attempt at the horror genre. Max von Sydow is the tortured artist haunted by regret and by the "Man Eaters", demonic beings. Liv Ullman is the long suffering wife who wants to take on his pain. First half is kinda slow but the last third is akin to something like Carnival of Souls, that sort of dreamlike gothic horror. Special effects were never Bergman's strong suit so you'll have to forgive how some of this looks, although the guy on the ceiling is almost cool. 6/10

Shame - Sort of the second part of a trilogy with the above, this one also stars Max von Sydow as an artist and Liv Ullman as his wife, is filmed in what I believe is the same house on Faroe Island, the grey depressing rock that Bergman chose to live on for some reason. This time he attempts a war movie. It's a fictional civil war and it's really more about the stresses put on the married couple as their lives are destroyed by the conflict. The logic of survival is harsh and it resembles a cold egoism. Not your typical war film., but not your typical Bergman either in some resects. This one I liked quite a bit more the Wolf. 8/10

Solar Impact - It's actually a zombie movie despite the title and focus on meteors on the poster art. Just imagine Walking Dead LARP covered in a hideous gray filter. 2/10

Elvis - Normally I find Baz Luhrmann annoying but here I think his style elevated the otherwise cliche musical biopic script. But why the gently caress is this 3 hours? 6/10

Hell of the Living Dead - Also called Night of the Zombies despite taking place in broad daylight for 90% of the run time. It's Bruno Mattei ripping of Lucio Fulci's Zombie and using very liberal amounts of stock footage of animals and tribesmen to pad the runtime. I don't think Mattei knows the difference between New Guinea and Africa. 4/10

Tammy and the T-Rex - An intentionally bad movie that wants you to laugh at it, but more creative than most films of that type. Love all the gags with the t-rex arms the most. They had fun making it. 5/10

Five Superfighters - A man in a black cloak goes around punishing bad kung fu by kicking rear end. Some of the people whose asses he kicks go off to find new masters and level up, then come back and murder him. Pretty fun. 5/10

Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio - Trapped between life and death, the wood child must find a way to break the cycle forever. The best Pinocchio story, but not the best Pinocchio music. 8/10

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jack B Nimble posted:

RRR is one of the best movies I've seen all year. It's like an Indian Kung Fu Hustle; the magnum opus of "Bollywood" (apparently actually "Tollywood"?) over the top action/comedy/drama (it wears a lot of hats in a three hour run time.)

It's fun, novel, colorful and weird in a way the endless parade of western CGI action films aren't.

I really need to see RRR, I've only heard positive.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Rick posted:

I really need to see RRR, I've only heard positive.

If the 3 hour run time is an issue, there's an actual intermission cue/ cut in the Netflix version.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

RRR is so earnest, energetic and creative that it's the perfect antidote to contemporary Hollywood blockbusters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

if you can catch RRR in a cinema in the original Telugu I highly recommend it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chieves posted:

If the 3 hour run time is an issue, there's an actual intermission cue/ cut in the Netflix version.

Yeah I stopped halfway at a very natural mid point and watched it over the course of two nights.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bottom Liner posted:

The Menu was a lot of fun but not cohesive or tight enough to be great. Very close though. Ralph Fiennes is a real gem though.

I had a lot of fun. Yeah, not perfect but I give it a 4/5

Weirdly feels like it belongs in a box set with Hereditary, The VVitch and Midsommar. They even got the composer from Hereditary!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone seem Skinamarink and got an opinion?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone seem Skinamarink and got an opinion?

I have, and I loved it! It has also messed up my sleep every night since watching it last Saturday. It very much put me back in the headspace of what it felt like to be little and told it was time for me to sleep with the night light off and the door closed. I also got a real strong sense that it’s a metaphor for how kids experience home life when a major event/tragedy they can’t comprehend or aren’t being told about rocks the lives of their parents and severely disrupts routines long term .

I think this may be one of those films you will either vibe hard with or loathe, because it is essentially a high quality 100 minute long analog horror YouTube video, micro budget and all. Lots of fixed shots of a spot near the action, but almost never of the action; more often than not, at best, you’ll hear what’s going on or see a light source moving in the periphery, but when the film actually shows you something it’s usually very arresting and unsettling. Lots of (gorgeous imo) swimmy digital fuzz oozes over everything at all times, and is probably the most action packed element for 95% of it.

And you need to be really patient too. First third is like an extended Sesame Street segment from an alternate reality where it’s important to teach kids that sometimes doors, windows, and parents disappear; it’s slow and uncanny, but not really scary. Second third is where it starts to kick off, and the final third is a dreamy, deeply unsettling full collapse of reality.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Might have to update my opinion of The Menu higher, seems to get better and better the more people point out a lot of intricate stuff

Spoilers, obviously

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7190049811310185770

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That level of navel gazing recap really highlights the problem I had with The Menu. It’s too simple to pull off being that pretentious. It’s almost brilliant in how deep it pretends to be while being so shallow, which is kind of the entire joke of the plot. If it were more intentionally that, I’d love it. Instead, it’s just kind of lost somewhere between its fake earnestness and the satire.

I still liked it and it was one of the most fun movie going experiences of last year, but it could have been great.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Infinity Pool 3/5. Was alright, but towards then end it... Should have wrapped things up a lot earlier imo.

The Whale 4/5. I see a lot of people disliking this, but the simple plot of a fat lad eating himself to death was enough for me. Even if Aronofsky got about the same levels of subtlety with his symbolism, as kojima.

EO 3/5. I enjoyed it. Wasnt too long, and had a lot of pretty scenes. Lacked some more story for me though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just finished my rewatch of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Absolute knockout of a movie. 10/10.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Commando
You know what you could be doing right now instead of reading this post? Watching Commando.
I don't think it's possible to watch this movie and NOT have a good time.
200/10

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 13, 2023

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Haven't been watching as many movies, but I'm catching up on some.

Donkey Skin (1970, Jacques Demy) - 4/5
They Shall Not Grow Old (2018, Peter Jackson) - 4.5/5
The Cabin in the Woods (2011, Drew Goddard) - 3/5
Let's Make a Dream (1936, Sacha Guitry) - 3/5
Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania (1972, Jonas Mekas) - 4.5/5
Paradise Not Yet Lost (1979, Jonas Mekas) - 4/5
Battle Royale (2000, Kinji Fukasaku) - 3/5 [Director's Cut]
The Tales of Hoffmann (1951, Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger) - 4.5/5 [watched while on shrooms for the first time]
Aqua Teen Forever: Plantasm (2022, David Willis/Matt Maiellaro) - 3/5
Son of the White Mare (1981, Marcell Jankovics) - 4/5
The Gunfighter (1950, Henry King) - 4/5
Stromboli (1950, Roberto Rossellini) - 2.5/5 [English version]
Dogma (1999, Kevin Smith) - 4/5
The Fabelmans (2022, Steven Spielberg) - 5/5

Rewatches:
True Stories (1986, David Byrne) - 4.5/5
City Lights (1931, Charles Chaplin) - 5/5
Seven Samurai (1954, Akira Kurosawa) - 4.5/5

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
what are you docking 0.5 from 7 samurai for?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Of course there's no "right way" to numerically rate movies, but there are a lot of movies that I consider flawless that I still only rate 4/5. I think anything above that is just a matter of personal preference. I think on Letterboxd I've rated something like 50 out of 1500 movies 5/5.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'm being lightly joking, 4.5 vs 5 is just a really minor taste difference, I'm more interested in reading his reasoning

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Coaaab posted:

It’s easy to feel something is perfect, but have you considered this: 8 Samurai.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

.5s in a 5 point scale are for cowards

Except a 2.5, that's acceptable

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bottom Liner posted:

.5s in a 5 point scale are for cowards

Except a 2.5, that's acceptable

Totally disagree, don’t be a coward and tell me if a movie is worth seeing or not. Why the 4-star scale is > > >

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coaaab posted:

I felt that it slows down a bit too much in the middle this time around. Might have a different opinion on it next time.

Nothing else of note to say negative about it. Really, it's more of a 4.75/5.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s easy to feel something is perfect, but have you considered this: 8 Samurai.

Buddy, you ever see a little film called 13 Assassins

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

, it's more of a 4.75/5.

Oh you think you're hilarious don't you

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mantis42 posted:

Buddy, you ever see a little film called 13 Assassins

Now that’s a nine star movie if I ever saw one.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Totally disagree, don’t be a coward and tell me if a movie is worth seeing or not. Why the 4-star scale is > > >

What if the scale was number of films the viewer has seen. e.g. This is the best film I've ever seen. And I've seen 5,000 films ergo 5,000 stars. OTOH, the worst film I've ever seen gets only one star.

Note: stars could be replaced with edible foods.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Egbert Souse posted:

I felt that it slows down a bit too much in the middle this time around. Might have a different opinion on it next time.

Nothing else of note to say negative about it. Really, it's more of a 4.75/5.

7/7 (out of 8)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I saw Terms of Endearment. It is a meme for being a sad movie (or at least when I was growing up, and at some point we got an uncle’s old Mad magazines where they had a send up). But it’s actually pretty witty, even as things are falling apart. The acting is really good and the story is interesting.

Kind of interesting that it won an Oscar because it feels like a mostly forgotten film but for “I am watching every Oscar film” completionists but I feel like it deserves a little more than that (even though someone doing that is what brought the film to my attention recently) people should check it out.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Terms of Endearment is great and it’s really only the very end that gets weepy, but that was the part that had a cultural legacy for whatever reason. Check out Broadcast News if you haven’t seen it, same vein also great

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rick posted:

Kind of interesting that it won an Oscar because it feels like a mostly forgotten film but for “I am watching every Oscar film” completionists but I feel like it deserves a little more than that (even though someone doing that is what brought the film to my attention recently) people should check it out.
I guess you're right that it's not very popular these days but it's much more than a "won an Oscar" film. It won 5 and it was a huge box office success.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
'Almost Famous' is probably my favorite movie....and I've watched it a bunch of times. I finally decided to watch 'Singles' for the first time.....and being 33 (or two years old when this came out).....I cannot relate at all to this. I don't hate it by any means.....but this aged poorly imo. 4.5/10.

Best thing to come from it by far.....is the song 'Drown' by The Smashing Pumpkins.....which happens to be one of my favorite SP songs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Allegro Non Troppo (1976) - 5/5
Return to Treasure Island (1954) - 1/5
The Very Late Afternoon of the Faun (1983) - 4.5/5
Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975) - 4.5/5
Dainah La Dainah La Metisse (1931) - 3.5/5
Menilmontant (1926) - 5/5
Le Tempestaire (1947) - 3.5/5

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Watched Good Will Hunting for the first time despite being 37-years old.

3/5. I think mostly because I couldn't avoid judging it with 2023 standards (the sexism is just so earnest!), but I have to imagine that a movie about a chowderhead from South Boston improving his life through therapy had to have been fairly novel even in the 90s. The characterization is very good, and Minnie Driver in particular does a lot with what could've just been a very flat character. Robin Williams is, of course, Robin Williams.

Also, I got this movie somewhat mixed up with Dead Poets Society (which I also haven't seen) and kept waiting for someone to jump on a table.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dungeons and Dragons Honor Among Thieves - 3/5

The worst thing you can say about the D&D movie is that it's very much a cut and paste fantasy take on Marvel (even down to two very specific key elements of the final battle) but it's a good one of those and works for both people in the D&D hobby and people not in it. Completely fine movie that actually captures the spirit of the game and a campaign.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Last Duel - 4/5
I must've seen this mentioned ITT or in another CD thread because I somehow completely missed that Ridley Scott made another movie. And holy poo poo, it's actually good. Has a bit of Rashomon thing going on but it's well used to address a relevant subject matter. And gently caress the rape scene was horrible especially after we've seen the "good" version of it.

Tetris - 2.5/5
This had decent reviews and I've never read about the history beyond that it was invented in USSR, so decided to check out something a bit lighter than the above.
Without doing research, a lot of feels like very loosely "based on true events" to make it feel like a cold war spy thriller. Did the soviets really send their goons to intimidate a Japanese citizen? Did the KGB have a car with Western businessmen to the airport? I dunno, maybe, but it does stretch the disbelief when watching (not to mention CGI-ish). Then there's the "father misses child's extremely important school play" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shining Toaster
Sep 26, 2007

It's all boiling over...
I agree with everything you said about Tetris, I kept thinking about how parodic it would feel to watch it from the perspective of any of the real-life people upon whom the characters are based. There’s a neat story in there that could be a great movie, but they made it so, so hammy. 2.5/5

It’s been about 10 years since I first watched Short Cuts, bought the Criterion version for when it was my turn to host our weekly movie night and I still love it. As much as I enjoy and respect most of Paul Thomas Anderson’s work, I’m still convinced Magnolia is just a try-hard knock-off of Short Cuts that doesn’t work half as well (though maybe I should rewatch that sometime too?). 5/5