Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Has there been anything revealed about the story yet, I'm kind of interested in whether it's literally going to be a story about putting down a slave rebellion or if that's going to be subverted somehow. Was that actually revealed as the plot officially, or are people just extrapolating that from "it takes place during a goblin rebellion" plus JKR's views?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
?oom Eternal: J?TVL-QY886-NQBVC

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lordfrikk posted:

Room Eternal, nice

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lordfrikk posted:

please don't post about "coom eternal" here

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Corn Eternal?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

Has there been anything revealed about the story yet, I'm kind of interested in whether it's literally going to be a story about putting down a slave rebellion or if that's going to be subverted somehow. Was that actually revealed as the plot officially, or are people just extrapolating that from "it takes place during a goblin rebellion" plus JKR's views?
Looking at reviews, the basic premise is "You've figured out magic as a teenager and have joined Wizard School straight into the fifth year. Also, it turns you have a connection to some weird Ancient Magic buried deep beneath the school. A goblin rebellion would quite like that magic for themselves and have teamed up with dark wizards to try and get it. Also, it's the 1800s."

Also looking at reviews, every single one has a deadpan disclaimer about Rowling, before moving straight praising the game exactly one paragraph later, which might have given me whiplash.

Also also looking at reviews, apparently the character creator has no gender restrictions on customization and the choice between being a wizard or a witch only seems to change what dorm you use, so they're clearly not too restrained by any ties to Rowling.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Wow, been looking forward to playing that knitting game, Loom Eternal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Couple more demos I'm seeing which were made available this morning:

Highwater
Uncharted Waters: Origin (had no idea this was a thing)
HeistGeist
Mia & the Dragon Princess (new FMV CYOA by Wales Interactive)
Meet Your Maker

And some demos I've talked about before that unlocked this morning:

Shadows of Doubt
Dark and Darker
Greedventory
Mika & the Witch's Mountain
Wandering Sword

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That recent-ish Hotwheels racing game that sounded pretty decent is landing on Gamepass today. Yet another game that I wanted to play but not enough to buy coming to gamepass :toot:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm interested in if the Hogwarts game maintains the same "do not think about anything for longer than five seconds" storytelling style as the books.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm not interested and won't be playing it

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Pwnstar posted:

I'm interested in if the Hogwarts game maintains the same "do not think about anything for longer than five seconds" storytelling style as the books.

To be fair, isn't that the case for the bulk of AAA open-world games, made worse by the fact that the player can, at any point, decide to spend 10+ hours doing side content instead of pushing story?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the reviews are in and harry potter is officially cringe

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sounds like the Harry Potter game is unexpectedly very good. Definitely not what I was anticipating

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The Kins posted:

Looking at reviews, the basic premise is "You've figured out magic as a teenager and have joined Wizard School straight into the fifth year. Also, it turns you have a connection to some weird Ancient Magic buried deep beneath the school. A goblin rebellion would quite like that magic for themselves and have teamed up with dark wizards to try and get it. Also, it's the 1800s."

Also looking at reviews, every single one has a deadpan disclaimer about Rowling, before moving straight praising the game exactly one paragraph later, which might have given me whiplash.

Also also looking at reviews, apparently the character creator has no gender restrictions on customization and the choice between being a wizard or a witch only seems to change what dorm you use, so they're clearly not too restrained by any ties to Rowling.

That main character idea looks... quite dumb, if I may be frank. Like holy hell I can see why they went Singleplayer if super connected with powerful poo poo and can skip four years easily was going to be the play.

The character customization idea is dope. Just hope the face stuff is equally dope.

However, one big thing I don't see is Flipendo. It's a basic bitch spell designed to push people and things around, why the gently caress does my gifted spellcaster not know it. Like gently caress, at least have something like Flipendo Tria from the older GBC games where it's just a giant fuckoff tornado.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Awards season this year is going to be wild unless TGA and the like just decide to freeze it out.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 6, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Everspace 2 has a full release date, it's actually a little further out than I expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8m47pGxGaM

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone tried the demo for Meet Your Maker yet? Premise sounds fun. Hoping to check it out later tonight after work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Everspace 2 has a full release date, it's actually a little further out than I expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8m47pGxGaM

Probably for the best. The demo I played a while ago didn’t do much at all to distinguish it from the first game, so I hope they’ve put a bunch of work into it since then.

The date is 6 April 23 in case you’re not a psycho that gets tiny bits of information through YouTube videos

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think the unfortunate thing is that businesses as precariously placed as games criticism literally can’t afford not to cover a game that’s going to sell like 20m copies and drive tons and tons of people looking for reviews, guides etc. Good for anyone that does, but sadly I think it’s just :capitalism:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think game reviewers simply make the "pogger face" when they see an AAA cinematic third person game with extremely high production values

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

Awards season this year is going to be wild unless TGA and the like just decide to freeze it out.
wow! sounds feature packed. won't be playing it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of Terfwarts.
Can I just say that I'm loving sick of dodge rolling?

There's nothing wrong with the actual mechanic but I'm just so sick of the visual of your character rolling on the floor like a dumbass.
Can the developers start using the cool Bloodborne dodge instead please?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm not interested and won't be playing it

The 7th Guest posted:

wow! sounds feature packed. won't be playing it

Narrator: They will be playing it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the guy who constantly posts about obscure rear end indie games loves to play licensed aaa games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the guy who constantly posts about obscure rear end indie games loves to play licensed aaa games
whoa, a thousand question marks! i can't wait to see what they all are! oh it's another 'bandit den'. oh it's another 'monster nest'. hold on, i found this Elite (Purple-Grade) Incendiary Old Man's Tooth. hmm it gives me +2% evasion against necrotic status effect attacks by skeletal enemies when they are enraged. i'll go ahead and equip that. wow, my power went up to 623. this means something

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

whoa, a thousand question marks! i can't wait to see what they all are! oh it's another 'bandit den'. oh it's another 'monster nest'. hold on, i found this Elite (Purple-Grade) Incendiary Old Man's Tooth. hmm it gives me +2% evasion against necrotic status effect attacks by skeletal enemies when they are enraged. i'll go ahead and equip that. wow, my power went up to 623. this means something

Yeah, Witcher 3 IS pretty drat fun

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

talk about cringe

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah, Witcher 3 IS pretty drat fun

ive always said this about witcher 3

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The 7th Guest posted:

Witcher 3 slapped

Does AssCreed still do this or have they let up on it, by the by? Are we due a new one any time soon?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm assuming you guys are reading these AAA video game reviews ironically or something?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wasnt even talking about witcher 3 but open world games in general lol. but i suppose 'a hit dog hollers' as they say....

KazigluBey posted:

Does AssCreed still do this or have they let up on it, by the by? Are we due a new one any time soon?
no idea. last one i played was origins. Mirage is the next one and it'll probably be revealed at E3

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

AssCreeds are the peak of AAA number threadmill bullshit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

I'm assuming you guys are reading these AAA video game reviews ironically or something?

I can't feel alive unless I'm mad at something, so I'm looking for wrong opinions to be mad at.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

Witcher 3 slapped

They changed the question marks into glowing orbs

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tiny Timbs posted:

Probably for the best. The demo I played a while ago didn’t do much at all to distinguish it from the first game, so I hope they’ve put a bunch of work into it since then.

The date is 6 April 23 in case you’re not a psycho that gets tiny bits of information through YouTube videos

I don't know what was in that demo but it is very different from the first game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RandomBlue posted:

I don't know what was in that demo but it is very different from the first game.

It was a level practically from the first game with all the same combat mechanics but also there was a 3D star system map that didn’t function. It was pretty early, granted, but didn’t leave me feeling like they were going to do something special for the sequel. I really liked the first game except for the “ok now do it all over again” surprise ending so I’m still looking forward to the follow up.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 6, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

KazigluBey posted:

To be fair, isn't that the case for the bulk of AAA open-world games, made worse by the fact that the player can, at any point, decide to spend 10+ hours doing side content instead of pushing story?

Maybe but I'm hoping for like a sidequest where you use time travel to sneak into the candy store and then later in the main quest you are seconds too late to save someones life and just go "if only there was a way to save them but unfortunately there isn't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did they update Dark and Darkest for this demo since the beta? I thought it seemed neat in beta but obviously real early days and still felt jank as hell. I know it's still going to be jank as hell but have there been any updates or is it basically the same game as the beta? Going to try my damnedest to drag a friend or two into it while the demo is available regardless.