Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

Tom King himself talks about it in interviews, which is why I started talking about it.

Speaking of Tom King interviews, a lot to unpack in this brief (two year old) quote:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Here you go son, a story about Ice being deceitful and sleeping with the main character! Just like you wanted!

I think Human Target is better than most of his work but it still falls back on terrible people doing terrible things and having a really bad outlook on women.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Here you go son, a story about Ice being deceitful and sleeping with the main character! Just like you wanted!

I think Human Target is better than most of his work but it still falls back on terrible people doing terrible things and having a really bad outlook on women.

I don't like his version of Guy very much. Being super weird and calling Ice "my girl" all the time like he's a greaser or something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
King is using the JLI characters as archetypes of noir stories. It doesn't really vibe well with previous iterations of the characters but within the parameters of noir storytelling it's fairly straightforward. Guy being the jocky cop, Ice being the femme fatale of sorts, Christopher being the hardboiled detective. It feels very much like an Elseworld to me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, he is hitting the genre dead on. The DC characters are just incidental.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I didn't realize Ice's background had been retconned.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Is HT in main continuity? I just assumed it wasn’t.

(Haha dc continuity)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

Is HT in main continuity? I just assumed it wasn’t.

(Haha dc continuity)

Absolutely not.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Absolutely not.

Didn’t think so. I don’t mind characters being different in different continuities. That’s to be expected.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Did his son also make him "just kidding" the seeming deaths in [redacted, but like half his books]? If so, that kid deserves a share of the royalty checks.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't know if there's anything in-comic or in interviews to suggest Human Target is not in continuity. There is also not a lot to suggest it is, but I can't think of anything disqualifying it from being in continuity. The same could be said of most of DC's current output.

The strongest argument for 'not' is that it's under the DC Black Label imprint, though so there are in-continuity Black Label books.

Back when it looked like they killed Guy Gardner, Tom King played coy about whether or not it was in continuity:

quote:

THIRD, you have prestige books that live right beside the DCU but are not taking place at the exact moment of the current monthly DCU books. These are books that take after Batman: The Killing Joke. Like Killing Joke, they are in the present, abide by all the rules of current continuity, feature big game changing moments, and try to define the characters for the current generation. Like Killing Joke, they don’t immediately impact any of the other books on the stand, but can impact the books in the long term. They are not written in continuity, but they can become continuity.

[...]

This third category is where I live most of my DC writing days. This is where Mister Miracle and Strange Adventures and Rorschach and Human Target and Bat/Cat (at least 2/3s of Bat/Cat) take place. They are books that exist next to continuity, and whether they become part of the DCU depends not on me or the brilliant people I work with, but on the brilliant people who read it and the brilliant people who hopefully, but not necessarily, will build something even better with it.

Also for what it's worth I believe all of the weird stuff with both Fire and Ice's backgrounds were established by other writers decades ago, but ignored/forgotten by subsequent writers.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I think disregarding Black Label books as being in continuity unless they explicitly say otherwise is the whole point of the line.

Like, which one has ever been explicitly in continuity so far?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I figure Black Label isn't continuity until it is. Like Marvel MAX was 90% not in continuity, but then there's also Alias.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think disregarding Black Label books as being in continuity unless they explicitly say otherwise is the whole point of the line.

Like, which one has ever been explicitly in continuity so far?
I thought the whole point of the line was to do prestige/standalone things they can market to bookstores and/or charge more for individual issues of it. Nothing has explicitly demonstrated that Three Jokers or Batman/Catwoman are in continuity, but they seem liable to be in-continuity exponentially more than non-Black-Label books like Batman: Fortress or DC vs. Vampires or DCeased which are "mainline" DC books that are almost definitely not in continuity.

Kind of a cheat but DC is also using the "Black Label" branding for all sorts of older comics that are pretty explicitly in continuity - The Killing Joke, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Morrison's Animal Man/Doom Patrol, Watchmen, etc.

The sorting mechanism for "Black Label" does not appear to be "is this in continuity or not", is my point. Plenty of them are not, but the label itself doesn't really do much to indicate yes or no.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought the Black Label thing was just to replace Vertigo as more mature themed comics that grant the creators a way to get away from continuity while doing something different with the characters.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

You’re all missing the point, Black Label was invented for Bat-Dong but the public wasn’t ready for it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Going back and looking the initial press release did make the claim that Black Label would be out of continuity stories:

quote:

DC Black Label, a new publishing imprint from DC Entertainment, gives premier talent the opportunity to expand upon the canon of DC’s iconic Super Hero comic book characters with unique, standalone stories that are outside of the current DC Universe continuity. An all-star lineup of creative teams will craft their own personal definitive DC stories in the tradition of compelling literary works like BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, DC: THE NEW FRONTIER and WATCHMEN.
Though again, it's worth noting their list of examples include one book that was made canon within months of it being published, and two other books that are now officially part of DC Continuity.

Of course within a year or so they were just referring to Black Label as their "mature readers" line in a press release announcing Three Jokers, a book that within its announcement they tie into the ongoing DC Universe line of comics. The "mature readers" descriptor of Black Label comics continues to be the main identifier in subsequent book announcements.

To be clear, I have no idea if Human Target is meant to be in continuity or not, or if someone will change their mind about it in the future. I was mainly responding to

a) a reference to Ice's background being retconned in Human Target (it had not, unless I am forgetting something everything about Ice's history used in HT is based on previous DCU comics)
b) the proclamation that Human Target is "absolutely not" in continuity

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

a) a reference to Ice's background being retconned in Human Target (it had not, unless I am forgetting something everything about Ice's history used in HT is based on previous DCU comics)

I didn't mean to imply that Ice's background was changed in HT, just that it was changed at all from coming from a race of snow people or whatever to actually killing her dad? Anyway.

Happy birthday, Cass.
https://twitter.com/JosephPIllidge/status/1618742383696560129

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was feeling garbage at work today so I just read Batman Urban Legends volume 1 instead of working. Chip Zdarsky writes a good Batman

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I really liked the Catwoman costume in her One Bad Day issue. Jamie McKelvie is wonderful.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have a question about the Titans replacing the Justice League. Didn’t a teenager die under their watch in Teen Titans Academy? You’d think that the media would have a field day with a group claiming that they’re the new protectors of the Earth when at least one minor they were responsible for was killed not too long ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

I have a question about the Titans replacing the Justice League. Didn’t a teenager die under their watch in Teen Titans Academy? You’d think that the media would have a field day with a group claiming that they’re the new protectors of the Earth when at least one minor they were responsible for was killed not too long ago.

I wouldn't be surprised either A) Taylor's not read it or honestly more likely B) he'll deal with it in Titans.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

I wouldn't be surprised either A) Taylor's not read it or honestly more likely B) he'll deal with it in Titans.

Actually that leads to me to another question—I listen to a podcast with Chip Zdarsky as a host and he’ll talk about having to read a lot of comics for work. How much stuff are you expected to read when you are going to write a Big 2 title?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

thetoughestbean posted:

Sweet summer child; over the years joining the Titans have resulted in, at bare minimum, a bodycount of dead teenagers in the mid-twenties :xd:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Also, that the same arc where Beast Boy and Cyborg are supposedly so heavily injured, they have to share a body (and then get a workaround where Beast Boy basically projects himself so they're not talking/acting with the same body). And then that's promptly forgotten about and it's as though they were never frankenstein'd together in the first place.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BrianWilly posted:

Sweet summer child; over the years joining the Titans have resulted in, at bare minimum, a bodycount of dead teenagers in the mid-twenties :xd:

I’m aware. It’s just kind of a different thing when it’s members of your team who died versus your wards who died.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m aware. It’s just kind of a different thing when it’s members of your team who died versus your wards who died.
Wait the teenagers who are specifically named 'teens' are raising people? What did they call those kids, the preteen powerhouses?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Drakyn posted:

Wait the teenagers who are specifically named 'teens' are raising people? What did they call those kids, the preteen powerhouses?

Titans haven't really been teenaged in a while. Young-Twenties Titans doesn't have the same ring.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dick Garyson is older than Bruce Wayne.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, that the same arc where Beast Boy and Cyborg are supposedly so heavily injured, they have to share a body (and then get a workaround where Beast Boy basically projects himself so they're not talking/acting with the same body). And then that's promptly forgotten about and it's as though they were never frankenstein'd together in the first place.

I thought that was part of the failed future line that dark crisis or whatever prevented.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azubah posted:

I thought that was part of the failed future line that dark crisis or whatever prevented.

Maybe? Idk. I don't remember it well enough to double check. I know the failed future involved them merged because of the "present day" events, but idr if those events were also undone or something.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Lazarus Planet?

A Lazarus volcano blew up and Lazarus goop is raining all over the planet loving with people's powers and giving powers to the unpowered, and the heroes are trying to stop it while managing Bob from Accounting exploding when he does math.

Whoa, imagine if this turns out to be the next Millennium...

X-O posted:

In the most recent issue of Nightwing Gar was still missing his eye, just not in animal form.

Couldn't he just turn into like an Australopithecus and avoid the issue entirely?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 31, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Finished Knightsquest and how Batman gets his back fixed was the dumbest way possible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Finished Knightsquest and how Batman gets his back fixed was the dumbest way possible.

Oh, yeah, Dr. Kinsolving and she has her brain into the mind of a child and is never heard from again, or something like that?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, yeah, Dr. Kinsolving and she has her brain into the mind of a child and is never heard from again, or something like that?

Yep

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You're doing the good work, Hootington. I liked Knightfall up through the Bane confrontation, but fell off in the middle of that whole saga. But there do seem to be a lot of gems in late 80s / early 90s Batman comics.

Looks like that was a cool era for Superman too, been meaning to read some of that.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1622617445847670786

:drat:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So that's what the new NRS game is going to be about. Nice.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm so glad Tom Taylor has moved into a more prominent position with DC. Both DC and Marvel have a pretty great slate of writers those days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
are we gonna get the two hero Harley's team up one shot