Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

wyoming posted:

I always think of some let's play i watched forever ago, where they assumed Isaac was a robot because everyone ordered him around and he never had anything to say about what was going on.

Just imagining the ending where he sits down and finally takes his helmet off, only it's actually his entire robot head :awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Would make the parts where he gets bloodily dismembered raise...a couple questions

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

sigher posted:

You can pry Isaac from my old dead hand you heretic.

Remaking 2 with another character wouldn't make sense since it's so tied to Isaac, but I wouldn't mind a new game with a new protagonist. Didn't the mobile game and the light gun game have different main characters?

as I said, I don't want them to remake 2/3 - I want them to do new games. I think the storylines for 2/3 are kinda trash and I don't see how anyone as traumatized as Isaac was after the Ishimura would be able to just keep going on in the face of another marker.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think the reason people want dead space 2 remade is because it rules and that would be an easy sell for EA to rubberstamp.

I'd take a dead space 2 remake over Motive team getting put on making live service content for EA or something. Or God forbid some sort of dead space battle Royale.

Remember toys for Bob with the Crash games? They made those remasters then also did a new crash 4 but now they got called on for helping out with call of duty and making what looks like a Crash moba that nobody asked for.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf EA is generally pretty good at keeping their teams not working on, like, FIFA or something like how Activision eventually puts everyone on the CoD mines.

We know Motive's next game is Iron Man so DS2 probably wouldn't be until after that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

We know Motive's next game is Iron Man so DS2 probably wouldn't be until after that.

this is, amusingly, perfect practice for DS2 with how much blatant iron manning isaac gets up to there

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
An Iron Man game? Why?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Gotta strike while the iron is five years hot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Marvel's Avengers game was such a smash hit that they had to follow it up.

Can't wait to have Tony Stark dark souls dodge rolling around the city.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I didn't play enough of the Avengers game to remember if he's a big part of it, but a flying robot suit guy with missiles and lasers doesn't seem like a bad idea for a game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I didn't play enough of the Avengers game to remember if he's a big part of it, but a flying robot suit guy with missiles and lasers doesn't seem like a bad idea for a game.

I think they made an Iron Man game a while back that played kind of like Zone of the Enders, if they make a new one I imagine it'll be somewhat similar.

The biggest thing is going to be how they handle the combat obviously because as the videos from the new Harry Potter game have shown its really easy to make pew pew pew look extremely boring.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Anthem has joined the chat

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1622628870779449346?s=20&t=1dS43Gl-lOC--lNi-0fyYA

In case your favorite part of RE4 was inventory management.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

TheAnomaly posted:

as I said, I don't want them to remake 2/3 - I want them to do new games. I think the storylines for 2/3 are kinda trash and I don't see how anyone as traumatized as Isaac was after the Ishimura would be able to just keep going on in the face of another marker.

I'm split. On the one hand, the remake does a decent enough job sanding the weak spots off of Dead Space that I'm genuinely curious what Motive would do with DS2 and 3, particularly 3.

On the other, yeah, I'd much rather see brand-new games than more nostalgia-driven remakes, especially in a series that's as defined by its futility as DS is. You could do a pretty good spin on the old Siren formula, where you start with 6 or 9 or 12 characters and play through to see who you can actually manage to save.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think Alien Isolation is what really started it, but what really sold it to publishers was that RE7 came out, sold great, and most importantly *sold Village* as well. It showed that it wasn't just a random hit, which is kind of a big deal because RE4 was a huge success and then the followups went downhill fast. Since Village did well too it greenlit a whole lot of stuff.

Alien Isolation breaks my heart. A perfect organism destroyed by... what exactly? It's one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever had in my life. That's partly the game's access to my childhood trauma of watching Aliens when I was about 6 (bless my dad).

Isolation deserves a trilogy. The original doesn't even require a remake or a remaster, such was its presentation and atmosphere. I couldn't play that game after 2100 or I wouldn't sleep.

So what was it that destroyed it in its facehugger stage?

Regarding Dead Space, I absolutely loved the original when I was 26, and adored the remake. I hopped onto Dead Space 2 from my old Xbox Live Gold library and was pleasantly surprised to find it received an FPS boost on Xbox Series X. The gameplay is almost identical to the remake, and the graphics have held up like a champ. Was it a different engine or just an enhanced one from 2008?

I'd love a remake of The Thing . I know it was a game over 20 years ago but the setting really lends itself to a AAA 2020s game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Someday Routine will come out and show us what life could've been like if it came out before Isolation.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was it a different engine or just an enhanced one from 2008?

i believe it's still the same engine, but DS2 had some truly excellent art direction and use of light and shadow. it's like how F.E.A.R still looks beastly so many years later, since they understood that atmosphere is a huge part of what sells horror as an experience and wisely invested into it versus trying to make the most detailed-looking office spaces of that generation

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Vermain posted:

i believe it's still the same engine, but DS2 had some truly excellent art direction and use of light and shadow. it's like how F.E.A.R still looks beastly so many years later, since they understood that atmosphere is a huge part of what sells horror as an experience and wisely invested into it versus trying to make the most detailed-looking office spaces of that generation

Is it the RenderWare engine they used for Dead Space? I always just assumed it was Unreal Engine 3 back in the day but I know that's incorrect.

So far as I remember, Alien Isolation used a proprietary engine. A sequel would be a good fit for the likes of Game Pass, developers can make games for a much more niche market than regular triple A titles, and it removes some publisher pressure to go more mainstream resulting in the likes of Dead Space 3 (of which I only played about 5 minutes, so don't know if it deserves its reputation).

F.E.A.R. was amazing at the time as well. Really shows how well games can age (18 years old now, Jesus Christ) when their art direction uses the technology of the time to greatest effect.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dead space 1 and 2(probably 3 too)were originally built on a heavily customised Mafia engine. I don't know if that tech could be pushed to this level though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hosed up buying Callisto Protocol 3 days before Dead Space came out and then putting it on hiatus to play Dead Space. I was sort of tolerating it but after playing DSR, it just feels like borderline unplayable trash. It has an allright enough atmosphere and purdy enough graphics that I'm gonna slog through, but it is just not a fun game to play. The gameplay sucks, the story is wholly uninteresting, all of the fun gamey poo poo from DS is toned down to be more cinematic and you really do spend such an insane amount of time crawling through cracks and vents, good god. how did they whiff this game so hard? It's not even like, unfinished. It's like the people who made where completely out of touch with what makes video games fun in almost every regard.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel bad for games like Callisto Protocol and Bayo 3, because the people that made the calls that lead to a hosed up game are generally a tiny minority of the people who worked on it. You know there's a ton of highly competent coders and artists and testers and the like doing the best they can with what they are given, and what they are given is the mandate to make a lovely game. And then? Then another game drops basically instantly that does everything your game wanted to do, but you know....actually good. Great, even.

Like it's one thing to make a bad game, it's another to have to deal with it being rubbed in you face by a great game immediately making people go "See, look at <blank>! This is what people actually wanted, how could you mess that up?". Callisto is probably the worst, because it's so desperately trying to be Dead Space. Like that game specifically. Something like Bayo 3 is being shown up by a game that is doing it's own character action thing, but Callisto is getting dunked on by the game it was copying coming back and going "No, this is actually what was fun and interesting about my game". And there's nothing you can say to that. You can't pretend you weren't trying to copy Dead Space, because you so obviously are. And you can't pretend that Dead Space didn't come back and do it better. You just have to live with it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The amount of different things that all have to go correctly to make a great game is so massive that sometimes it feels like a miracle anything good gets made at all.

If we can notice the problems in a product, so can those who worked on it. But these projects are like massive steam trains; once they get going they can't easily stop or change course. Problems in design, the code base, not enough time to iron out problems due to budget/time/launch windows constraints, mismanagement.... the list of things that can get in the way is big.

Not trying to excuse it of course, just potentially explain.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Was Bayo 3 bad? It got good reviews, I thought the only criticisms were generally the plot from some people and then the performance on the switch which was obviously just a compromise they had to make since Nintendo were footing the bill and the Switch is aging hardware.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it wasn’t a bayonetta game, it was an astral chain sequel with half the fun and twice the filler

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bayo 3’s plot is bad. The gameplay is mostly good, but you don’t play Bayonetta herself enough and her replacement isn’t fun to play. It looks serviceable in that there’s only a little improvement graphically from Bayo 2, which came out in 2014.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

I hosed up buying Callisto Protocol 3 days before Dead Space came out and then putting it on hiatus to play Dead Space. I was sort of tolerating it but after playing DSR, it just feels like borderline unplayable trash. It has an allright enough atmosphere and purdy enough graphics that I'm gonna slog through, but it is just not a fun game to play. The gameplay sucks, the story is wholly uninteresting, all of the fun gamey poo poo from DS is toned down to be more cinematic and you really do spend such an insane amount of time crawling through cracks and vents, good god. how did they whiff this game so hard? It's not even like, unfinished. It's like the people who made where completely out of touch with what makes video games fun in almost every regard.

I think the fact that that the studio went from zero to a game with (arguably) best in class graphics has something to do with it. To me it’s almost a miracle it’s as competent as it is given the production time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SettingSun posted:

Bayo 3’s plot is bad.

I mean, I barely even noticed the plots from the previous games, but Bayo 3's plot was bad enough that it actually kind of distracts you. It just chimes in every once in a while to go "hey, MULTIVERSE, eh? Ehhhh?" and expects you to give a poo poo, and it kind of retroactively ruins the previous games. I mean that literally, it retcons the previous two games and makes them lame by association.

It's fun to play though, at least when you're playing Bayonetta. There are fleeting moments of the insanity from the previous games, but mostly it's a pretty generic action game with too much unneeded bloat. I'll never play it again, and I played through 1 and 2 a few times each.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked High on Life before the nastiness with Roiland, it's a perfectly cromulent wanna-be Doom Eternal in the same way every Xbox 360 era game was trying to be Gears-but-funky-gimmick. It's funny how heavy handed his presence is in the first hour which all the media covered then his character practically disappears when JB Smoov, Betsy Sodaro, and Tim Robinson guns show up who are all more fun than green snot shooter anyway.

I don't envy any project manager but also learn to gtfo of your own way

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At least Chris Avellone had a hand in some classics before hitting his expiry-date in 2020.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

I liked High on Life before the nastiness with Roiland, it's a perfectly cromulent wanna-be Doom Eternal in the same way every Xbox 360 era game was trying to be Gears-but-funky-gimmick. It's funny how heavy handed his presence is in the first hour which all the media covered then his character practically disappears when JB Smoov, Betsy Sodaro, and Tim Robinson guns show up who are all more fun than green snot shooter anyway.

I don't envy any project manager but also learn to gtfo of your own way

High on Life is a better game than I would have expected. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was actually a solid (but not amazing) shooter. The art style is killer imo. The Roiland stuff definitely puts a stink on it ,but he left the company and it's free on gamepass anyways so there's no reason not to enjoy it.

I mostly feel bad for all of the people who worked with him because he was basically the selling point of the projects he worked on. I don't know how the shows or games he was involved with are going to bounce back without him.

Not sure what this has to do with horror games though lol.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As indie horror has taught us for over a decade the true monster is domestic assault.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought 'you the player' was the true monster...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

It's like the people who made where completely out of touch with what makes video games fun in almost every regard.

a lot of the time, it's a consequence of directors having specific ideas that are then hardheadedly pushed forwards, even if they end up proving unworkable, and especially if you have poor project management where asset creation outstrips design. TCP has a perfectly acceptable, if somewhat tedious over 10+ hours, punch-out style melee system that catastrophically breaks down as soon as more than a single enemy is on the screen. this is absolutely something that would've been caught as soon as you start grayboxing, but the director(s) either insisted on their specific vision of melee combat as a defining feature of the game and stuck with it, or it was realized that this poo poo wasn't working after a significant amount of work had already been done on creating the models and animations for it, and scrapping it would mean significant delays as you try and come up with something to replace it that's just as defining

you need to iterate early and often on your designs to see how much they can withstand before breaking, and stubbornness on trying to maintain a specific bit of design can lead to poor outcomes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

“Ooh jeeze I got a letter. The n-n-ame on the letter ooooh was Mary my wife’s name. But she’s dead dead people can’t write letters can they? I mean idk the physics of the afterlife but I’m a town where the walls melt to rust and there are these nurses with a 10 body and like a 3 face and a woman who looks like a hotter version of my wife who keeps getting murdered by this buff daddy with a metal trap on his head. Have you seen Saw? He kind of looks like a walking jigsaw oh jeeze. My whole adventure is like Jacob’s Ladder mixed with Solaris, don’t watch those if you want to preserve the magic of this game that will ruin horror designers for two generations by creating an impossible to fill niche that a multi-million dollar company can’t even follow up on ooooohhh”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"Oh jeeze man I'm in this jail like this big jail and m-my camera is running on like bad batteries and things are coming out of t-the walls like the walls on the walls and a-all I wanted was to go home but there's the HUGE dicks like giant dick like all I can see is d-dicks and I don't want to t-think about dicks but they're r-right in my camera and g-g-gamespot didn't say poo poo and-"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this posting is violence

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

TCP sounds like some kind of party drug making the rounds, instead of a middling video-game that was forgotten after a week.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

TCP sounds like some kind of party drug making the rounds, instead of a middling video-game that was forgotten after a week.

it's either that or "CP" and, uh, well

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so many commercials for that stupid thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The second worst crime Roiland ever committed was making 'oh jeez' forever emblazoned aurally with his voice.