Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/7-9/40

Fire up those dueling banjos and pass the moonshine jug, 'cause Scarlet is going among the hillbillies!

“What is this, Six Flags over the shittier parts of Chernobyl?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Samovar posted:

It's a bit old-fashioned, but on the whole it's good, and the art is astounding.

It is a bit old fashioned, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised, especially in the early days and now. And the art is absolutely amazing, my girlfriend is almost definitely sick of me turning to her and saying “LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL BOAT!”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bibliotechno Music posted:

It is a bit old fashioned, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised, especially in the early days and now. And the art is absolutely amazing, my girlfriend is almost definitely sick of me turning to her and saying “LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL BOAT!”

I get that! I need to just get the first couple collections and force my wife to read them so she has any idea of what she’s looking at when I tell her to LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL BOAT!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

This Mary Worth plotline sucks rear end. She doesn't want to be a doctor! Why would you want to make someone who hates the idea of being a doctor be a doctor!?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because it's a respectable job for a smart person that makes a decent amount of money. Their interests are not important because they are a dumb kid who doesn't understand yet.

It's always a good gloat to talk about "my child, the doctor".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Green Intern posted:

This Mary Worth plotline sucks rear end. She doesn't want to be a doctor! Why would you want to make someone who hates the idea of being a doctor be a doctor!?

She's a pushy parent being pushy. She'll probably learn the error of her ways, or maybe not, it's Mary Worth.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This is why I don't make resolutions for the New Year: they're just made to be broken.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Corrupting friend gull! So evil.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Agreed.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Left unspoken is Slylock's presumption that even a mad scientist wouldn't have left the candle burning unattended. There's mad and then there's crazy.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/3-5/40

never a moment's rest of miss o'neil

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You want your bubbling, foaming liquid to be producing clouds of vapour as quickly as possible. That stuff is probably barely a liquid at room temperature.

It's boiling from a single candle heating a big, full, round bottom flask. That's not normal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NVTrainee posted:

So, what's the thread consensus on Prince Valiant lately? I remember many threads ago that it was more negative, but it could've been different people talking about it opposed to now. Compared to other comic strips, the art is gorgeous and I love the weekly story updates.

It has its dips -- not every story arc is a masterpiece and like any comic from the 50s it has its ugly moments -- but it's so excellent so frequently that it's hard not to have a high opinion of it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mr. Squishy posted:

So, from left to right, top to bottom: Barney Google, Sluggo from Nancy in the hat. Flip from Little Nemo talking to a kid in a tie and an ostrich, neither of whom I recognize.

It's a little too early for Sluggo. That's Jimmie Dugan from Reg'lar Fellers, which might be a good one to get around to eventually.

The kid with the tie's a little bit off-model, but aw, come on...

(Skippy, March 21, 1935)

Anyway, LOOK KIDS! COMICS!

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (February 9, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 24, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which the butler does the one thing that never works in this strip. (September 7, 1939)

Out Our Way (January 2-4, 1941, spoilered for an Ick panel.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 6, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

In case anyone was wondering: they've piled their coats on the car hood in an attempt to keep the engine warm so it'll start easier once church is over.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I don't care how clueless you are supposed to be you know better than this.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I really wanna read Fungoid. :allears: "Skip" Perkins!

The shorter stories with no b plots might really help Mark Trail's pacing a lot but Jules phoned in an even more embarrassing nothing story than usual so it's very hard to tell. Also beating the boat thing to death and then the corpse into dust.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Lunch

Noor

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

They'll hear "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" coming from Sarah's room and assume that she's just talking in her sleep.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

Murdstone posted:

I don't care how clueless you are supposed to be you know better than this.

Does he though? I feel like lately he's gotten even dumber than before.

NVTrainee fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 6, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's been a lot duller than usual. The strip normally lurches between Jeremy is an idiot/Jeremy does a shitload of advanced classes, but he's been on a real zero-thought thing recently.

Maybe he's stoned as gently caress. Explains the appetite.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

You know, if I were Jules, I would probably try to avoid constant reminders that even James Allen used to have Mark do stuff in his strip once upon a time.

But yet, here we are.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Panel 1: Mark trail sets up another 'exiting' adventure.

Panel 2: Remember yesterday's strip folks!

Panel 3: Sure has been a while since anything exiting happened in this poo poo comic.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020
I had to double check what that mess of green was in the middle left section of Panel 2 in Mark Trail. Those are some...quality alligators alright.

NVTrainee fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 6, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

No Heart of the City no, incorrect. It is always in mid November, it is not soon at all! :mad:

Ok my nerd rant is over.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

Sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. What's her name, Megan? I hate her. Constantly digging into Dustin with her awful wisecracks whenever he has an interest of doing something or looking for jobs when she hasn't ever expressed interest in getting a job of her own while she's old enough to actually get one herself (as far as I remember)?

If I dealt with a person like that for a long time, I'd punch them in the face. I know it's a bit extreme but she's the worst.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

[Setsubun is a festival held at the beginning of Spring. A traditional ritual of which is mamamaki, bean-throwing, where evil spirits are chased out of the house by people throwing beans, either out the door or at someone dressed up as an evil spirit who flees the house - typically either the male head of the household, or someone who was born on this year's zodiac (this year is the rabbit!)]

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/6-8/50

Archie 6/13-15/46

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Vargo posted:

You know, if I were Jules, I would probably try to avoid constant reminders that even James Allen used to have Mark do stuff in his strip once upon a time.

But yet, here we are.

Wasn't the boat explosion from her first Mark Trail arc? Or was that a reference to another famous Mark Trail boat explosion? They bring up the boat a lot but no one talks about how Mark blew up a police helicopter in that arc too iirc

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Selachian posted:

Archie 6/13-15/46

Not a fan of Pogo and never will be, but I’ve been loving Archie and this one is a real humdinger! Thanks for posting it :)

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shut The gently caress Up.