Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Horatius Bonar posted:

I don't know if it better or worse than the English muffin was steamed.

It looks fine, that meat is all meat and onions, right? Not textured whatever protein? Yeah I’d eat that in two bites and stop thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It looks fine, that meat is all meat and onions, right? Not textured whatever protein? Yeah I’d eat that in two bites and stop thinking about it.

You're thinking of a Xinjiang style bun, with spicy lamb and toasted. Which still would be hosed up to serve on an English muffin, but closer than a gua bao.

It's like making a pizza with ketchup because it's a tomato sauce.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You'd think that the English would have been the ones to come up with the steamed English muffin during their centuries of food crimes.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Horatius Bonar posted:

You're thinking of a Xinjiang style bun, with spicy lamb and toasted. Which still would be hosed up to serve on an English muffin, but closer than a gua bao.

Meat on wheat, I’ll eats it.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Horatius Bonar posted:

dominos ketchup on card board....member those days.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I loving knew that Epoch Times newspaper my mom would pick up in the diner lobby was sketchy

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It's got a fucken cool name but hey. They have free newspapers on stands in all the shops around here and I was always tempted to grab one just because of the name.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ili posted:

It's got a fucken cool name but hey. They have free newspapers on stands in all the shops around here and I was always tempted to grab one just because of the name.

the contents basically newsmax but china focused. they go harder on the chud than fox news

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ups_rail posted:

dominos ketchup on card board....member those days.

In Thailand all pizza is served with ketchup packets as a condiment and boy do they love putting ketchup on their pizza here. Even if I get a legit good New York style pizza, I'll get a dozen packets of ketchup with it just in case.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

BrainDance posted:

I do like not getting bugged by weird religions in China. In Korea I was more polite because I hadn't decided I hate people yet, and I'd just get stuck hearing about heavenly mother or whatever and how nice their foreigner compound is when I really just wanted to be left alone.

Not saying that that makes it ok to round up new religious movements just saying it's nice to be left alone.

How were their foreigner compounds?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Balloon down, feelings hurt.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

All my wife watches on Netflix is Korean TV shows, and we share an account so now all the recommendations are more Korean TV shows. She isn't even Korean. Strongly considering divorce at the moment.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

You do understand different profiles right?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How do you not have burner profiles set up to watch Love Never Lies: Poland without tainting your algorithm

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Beartaco posted:

How were their foreigner compounds?

Honestly a little samey and bland but I guess that's how cults roll and it's Korea so you take what you can get

I live in gaudy fake Europe now and I prefer it, like living in a knockoff Disney park

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I know I'm late for Cult Chat but does anyone have any good resources on the Taiping Rebellion? It seems very underserved by western organizations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Borscht posted:

I know I'm late for Cult Chat but does anyone have any good resources on the Taiping Rebellion? It seems very underserved by western organizations.

Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom by Stephen Platt and God's Chinese Son by Jonathan Spence are what you want to read.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

McGavin posted:

You'd think that the English would have been the ones to come up with the steamed English muffin during their centuries of food crimes.

I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek sarcasm.

Because, of-f'n-course we have steamed bread, and obviously it forms part of a desert!

:tipshat: :whatho:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

In Thailand all pizza is served with ketchup packets as a condiment and boy do they love putting ketchup on their pizza here. Even if I get a legit good New York style pizza, I'll get a dozen packets of ketchup with it just in case.

do they put weed on the pizza?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shumagorath posted:

How do you not have burner profiles set up to watch Love Never Lies: Poland without tainting your algorithm

this was entirely better than I would've expected btw

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this was entirely better than I would've expected btw
The eye thing is all bunk and they should be sued. Then there’s the premise, which made me yell “You’re 20! None of this matters! Go be a fuckboy; it’s ok!” at my TV (yes it was on).

Now I want Love Never Lies: Shanghai Plutocrats

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what did you think you were signing up for lol

the most offensive truth stretching in the show is that they are filming a fuckin 'island' style reality dating show on the loving baltic coast

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what did you think you were signing up for lol
“Love is Blind, but less ethical”

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ups_rail posted:

do they put weed on the pizza?

That's a Cambodia thing as far as I know. "Happy pizza". I'm sure with legal weed it'll happen here, but weed in food requires a license and most places with a license are just basic dispensaries and aren't bothering with kitchens unless they're like a Thai restaurant that specializes in traditional dishes that incorporate marijuana leaves because that's how they were made 100 years ago.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Yeah happy pizza was a rip off, now the cookies at various bars in Otres were fantastic.

RIP Otres beach.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

url posted:

:tipshat: :whatho:

gently caress you now I want B&B pudding but the oven's broken.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

WarpedNaba posted:

gently caress you now I want B&B pudding but the oven's broken.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/syrupspongewithprope_4983

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Meat on wheat, I’ll eats it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
"Hong Kong court makes landmark ruling protecting transgender rights"

How is China on trans stuff? I've heard for LGB it's kind of frowned upon but tolerated as long as you're producing children?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wasn’t there recently a big push to remove a lot of the stuff from media? Pretty sure that happened last year and it was a big step back.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Wasn’t there recently a big push to remove a lot of the stuff from media? Pretty sure that happened last year and it was a big step back.

That was a couple years ago and things keep trending in the wrong direction. Was looking kind of hopeful for a bit but now queer spaces are being shut down and the public conversation has been steered towards vilification. A whole lot of folk are suddenly obsessed with the idea that queer people are corrupting Chinese culture and society and there are a lot of conspiracy theories going around about queerness itself being a western plot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, originally the state was extremely anti-LGBT, then like a lot of things they kind of chilled out and while the official positions didn't necessarily change, as long as you weren't trying to organize for rights or anything they left you alone. But in the past couple years they've gone hard backwards, again like everything else, and there's a ton of crazy anti-LGBT stuff again. You can't represent it in the media at all, universities were making lists of LGBT and suspected LGBT students, etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The HK ruling was unanimous. Are those judges going to get invited to attend a special summer camp on the mainland where they will voluntarily decide that it's so great there that they will stay forever?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe theyre betting that the economic doldrums mean that its back to the deng-style "you can keep the dances and the horse-races" attitude

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

maybe theyre betting that the economic doldrums mean that its back to the deng-style "you can keep the dances and the horse-races" attitude

I m just spit balling here.

But everything about china struck me as everything is ilegal and everyone is guilty, and also anything goes unless you annoy the party...so dont annoy the party.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
until like 2010 you could credibly say "hey its not china its hong kong" for a lotta stuff

they hosed it up irrevocably. but what the judges are risking is censure from the mainland for this so what the judges are thinking might be the horse races and dancing stuff

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The law as written and the law as enforced is so wildly disconnected there's no good way to predict anything. Which is likely intentional, if you don't know where the line is (and the line can move at random) you keep yourself as far away from it as you can.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

The law as written and the law as enforced is so wildly disconnected there's no good way to predict anything. Which is likely intentional, if you don't know where the line is (and the line can move at random) you keep yourself as far away from it as you can.
This is why any Foreign Ministry spokesperson or other party official saying “according to the law” gets an “according to the LOL” out of me.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
But sad gay poets is like, 1/2 of Chinese myth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

bamhand posted:

The HK ruling was unanimous. Are those judges going to get invited to attend a special summer camp on the mainland where they will voluntarily decide that it's so great there that they will stay forever?

No need. NPSC reserves the right to issue an interpretation to protect national security and plug loopholes. Everything is working as intended.

HK is a free society with rule of law. Guys there’s free tickets flying in. So please come visit, and maybe fly from HK to japan as a side trip.