Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
AAA games can rock, AA games can rock, indie games can rock. We need stux in these trying times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

AAA games can rock, AA games can rock, indie games can rock. We need stux in these trying times.
stux would say: elden ring is good, witcher 3 is bad (i dont quite agree there), cyberpunk is good, harry potter is fail, and talking about it is 'resetera'

i'm gonna start downloading demos now... the Darkest Dungeon 2 demo is out btw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ironically discussing it is explicitly banned in reset era

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ironically discussing it is explicitly banned in reset era

lol that site is wild.

I do wonder if it does continue getting high review scores how they are going to twist it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm going to have fun blasting dudes with magic

in fantasy China

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

lol that site is wild.

I do wonder if it does continue getting high review scores how they are going to twist it.
they're extremely performative over there so I imagine they would keep the ban going. they also put a disclaimer in every cyberpunk thread claiming that bigotry was innate to the Polish so. lol

e: getting away from stuxposting for a second, i'm downloading the Shadows of Doubt demo now. the phrase "sandbox detective stealth game" is one of those phrases that sounds very cool but also seems like it could be very dull in execution (the proc-gen nature of the game terrifies me) so i'm skeptical about whether it will hold up over a long play.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 6, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

they also put a disclaimer in every cyberpunk thread claiming that bigotry was innate to the Polish so. lol

That strikes me as somewhat bigoted

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

they're extremely performative over there so I imagine they would keep the ban going. they also put a disclaimer in every cyberpunk thread claiming that bigotry was innate to the Polish so. lol

Well it’s in their DNA you see.

I’m sure the potter game is going to sell a billion copies.

I’m just going to play VS and Fortnite instead.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of Terfwarts.
Can I just say that I'm loving sick of dodge rolling?

There's nothing wrong with the actual mechanic but I'm just so sick of the visual of your character rolling on the floor like a dumbass.
Can the developers start using the cool Bloodborne dodge instead please?

I love that the thrust of the reviews about the combat focus entirely around the dodge and parry mechanics since the pew pew spells aren't interesting in and of themselves.

Ah yes. Dodge and parry mechanics. The thing that everyone was tired of 5 years ago.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's additional depth in the form of enemies with color-coded shields that demand matching spells, just like in the critically-acclaimed DmC: Devil May Cry

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Parry systems are an interesting topic. Game devs love them because they force players to engage with enemy mechanics for zero effort on the dev side. But they can often feel like following a routine set of instructions before you get to play the game again and in the worst cases slow combat down.

To me the most memorable parry system is dark souls but it's entirely optional, super difficult, and turbo broken. Sekiro's parry system is good but it is the entire game, it's not very copyable. What are some of the other "model" parry systwms devs are thinking about when they add it to their games?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Demmo for The Great War: Western Front is up, the new strategy game from Petroglyph. Downloading it now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zoux posted:

That strikes me as somewhat bigoted
i think they eventually deleted that part of their post because i cant find it anymore but it was fuckin wild

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hate parry systems because I suck at timing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Motto posted:

There's additional depth in the form of enemies with color-coded shields that demand matching spells, just like in the critically-acclaimed DmC: Devil May Cry

Hi-Fi Rush triggered my DmC PTSD with those color coded enemies. Holy poo poo is that a god awful system.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MGR: Revengeance's parry system was loving sick. The whole game was built around it and it was immensely satisfying to use.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of Terfwarts.
Can I just say that I'm loving sick of dodge rolling?

There's nothing wrong with the actual mechanic but I'm just so sick of the visual of your character rolling on the floor like a dumbass.
Can the developers start using the cool Bloodborne dodge instead please?

this is why Devil May Cry V is the best game for creative combat. Reject dodgeroll, embrace invincibility frames on jump / Royal Guard / sword surf dodge

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm gonna start downloading demos now... the Darkest Dungeon 2 demo is out btw

Lemme know if there's still placeholder text in some of the new mechanic's activations. I remember that a bit from the EGS days.

Also hopefully more bits on why the end boss is the end boss and not randomly thrust into a weird arena.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i probably wont play darkest dungeon 2's demo because it's not really my kind of game but I wanted to at least let people know it was out. Voidtrain demo is out now as well. the majority of demos will flip the switch in 40 minutes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

this is why Devil May Cry V is the best game for creative combat. Reject dodgeroll, embrace invincibility frames on jump / Royal Guard / sword surf dodge

Both Nero (half of the time) and V have cool dodges that they do instead of rolling on the ground like assholes as well.

Also don't forget the clash system. If your V is a Chad then you won't have to bother to dodge poo poo when you can just clash using your cane.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not strictly a parry but the guard counter in Elden Ring is neat because it encourages the player to do a smart thing (block) and then gives them a nice surprise.

I actually like it better as a mechanic, even though I am comfortable with the normal parrying. Elden Ring parry is: do a questionable thing (block only at the last second) and maybe if you practice enough, get a payoff.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 6, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

How is Nioh's parry system, when compared to say DS/ER?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Nioh 1's weapon parries or Nioh 2's demon parries?
In Nioh you basically have a trillion variations of every mechanic so that you can pick the one that works best for you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

No Wave posted:

Parry systems are an interesting topic. Game devs love them because they force players to engage with enemy mechanics for zero effort on the dev side. But they can often feel like following a routine set of instructions before you get to play the game again and in the worst cases slow combat down.

To me the most memorable parry system is dark souls but it's entirely optional, super difficult, and turbo broken. Sekiro's parry system is good but it is the entire game, it's not very copyable. What are some of the other "model" parry systwms devs are thinking about when they add it to their games?

Like you said, the primary issue with parry systems is that they're entirely reactionary. I find that they work best in PvP games like Mordhau where you're working them in to try and outsmart a human, who then can also call you bluff and feint an attack to change the window instead. But for PvE enemies if you build a system around using it a lot then you're just baiting enemies whose programming boils down to "move forward and swing sword til enemy dies"; that is not an actually interesting tactical decision, it's all just whether your timing is good enough that you can hit the window for the parry or not. If you can, combat is trivial. If you can't, combat is infuriating.

FromSoft games are better about having more complex enemy movesets, but that just means you end up memorizing movesets rather than dynamically reacting to things.

I just think to games like the Surge 2 or, yes, Sekiro, where unless you are extremely good at weaving parries in among strikes you spend a lot of time just circling enemies waiting for them to hit, which isn't really interesting imo.

Of course the alternative is ones that I've played elsewhere where you have a parry window 300 frames long and the game just turns into an absolute slog of parry hit parry hit parry hit.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 6, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

No Wave posted:

Trek to Yomi has a decent feel/follow-up to its parries, and it’s a 2.5D game. It’s also pretty fun and I’m never gud so play in story mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hi-Fi Rush solves a lot of parry problems by having all actions land on the beat. So you never really have to guess which enemy has some wildly unsynced windup attack because you know it'll always come out with regular timing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Demmo for The Great War: Western Front is up, the new strategy game from Petroglyph. Downloading it now.

Hell yeah, I know Petroglyph is wicked spotty with their games but I always look forward to whatever they work on.

Especially cause RTSes desperately need a boomer shooter-style comeback.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ymgve posted:

I hate parry systems because I suck at timing

Yer a wizard, Parry!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ragequit posted:

Yer a wizard, Parry!

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Yer a wizard, Parry!

lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Like you said, the primary issue with parry systems is that they're entirely reactionary. I find that they work best in PvP games like Mordhau where you're working them in to try and outsmart a human, who then can also call you bluff and feint an attack to change the window instead. But for PvE enemies if you build a system around using it a lot then you're just baiting enemies whose programming boils down to "move forward and swing sword til enemy dies"; that is not an actually interesting tactical decision, it's all just whether your timing is good enough that you can hit the window for the parry or not. If you can, combat is trivial. If you can't, combat is infuriating.

FromSoft games are better about having more complex enemy movesets, but that just means you end up memorizing movesets rather than dynamically reacting to things.

I just think to games like the Surge 2 or, yes, Sekiro, where unless you are extremely good at weaving parries in among strikes you spend a lot of time just circling enemies waiting for them to hit, which isn't really interesting imo.

Of course the alternative is ones that I've played elsewhere where you have a parry window 300 frames long and the game just turns into an absolute slog of parry hit parry hit parry hit.
Yeah, you dont want players to stand around "baiting out" the parryable hit, you still want them to be able to act profitably from neutral. I guess devs notice players ignore parry systems entirely and cant resist adding hyper armor enemies that need to be parried to be fought. I see parrying as something to give players to do to supremely flex on enemies when they have the game thoroughly licked, like royal guard from DMC3 is the best one. Ofc that means almost no one will actually get to the point of using it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

There are general move parries which work like DS, and much like DS are way too specific because only a couple of them work on yokai enemies (which are the majority of enemies in nioh 2) and the feedback for “you did it wrong” is identical to “you can’t do it” so learning what you are and aren’t allowed to do without looking it up is pretty miserable since you can can be 100->0’d in half a second in nioh. The reward isn’t at all comparable to the risk either.

Nioh 2 also added burst counters, which are actually cool and understandable. sometimes enemies do big moves signposted with a red light and you can spend a refillable resource to do a burst counter which owns them if you land it. There are 3 kinds of burst counters and which one you do depends on your guardian spirit. There’s a big slap that you just have to land anytime they’re in the windup animation, there’s a traditional shield you need to use at the last second, and there’s a dodge one where you want the attack to collide with you mid-dodge. Some attacks are much easier to handle with one burst counter than the others, so there isn’t a single best one, and the counters all have value at other times too (such as an emergency dodge or 100% shield) so it’s actually quite a well designed mechanic

Wo long fallen dynasty is bringing back a bit of this idea where some big attacks have a red light that announces they’re unblockable, but deflecting them is much more rewarding than other attacks and gives you a swag animation when you land it. But you can also just deflect almost everything else in the game (that was shown in the demo at least), including ranged attacks, so it’s going to be much more of a core mechanic than nioh’s parry moves. A common complaint with the demo was that the deflect window was loving minuscule to the point of feeling like the risk/reward was way off, but team ninja said they increased it due to feedback, so we’ll see when the second demo hits.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 6, 2023

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I can usually parry in most games but for some reason I suck rear end at it in From games

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Arkham/Mordor parry system is good. It's extremely basic and the main penalty for not doing it is looking uncool.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Yer a wizard, Parry!

title

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Arkham/Mordor parry system is good. It's extremely basic and the main penalty for not doing it is looking uncool.

Fun fact: Shadow of Mordor/War's version of the parry is SO lenient that if you just input X - Y, X - Y, X - Y with a correct timing it will option select for you to always continue the combo if nobody is attacking you and do a parry if someone's attacking you.

During my 6th playthrough of Shadow of Mordor I was at some point fighting groups of normal mooks while watching something else on my second monitor.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeez, the Broken Arrow demo's a big one at almost 40 gigs.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ragequit posted:

Yer a wizard, Parry!

:boom:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, time to list more demos now that the Steam Next Fest is live:

Townseek
I Am Future
Ravenbound
Sons of Valhalla
Sunnyside
Cook Serve Forever
The Ranch of Rivershine
Scene Investigators (Painscreek Killing dev)
Shumi Come Home
Troublemaker
Valfaris: Mecha Therion (valfaris was neat I guess I'll give this a shot)
Coven
Slave Zero X
Crystals of Irm
Picto-pull (please be good I need more Pushmo)
Chants of Sennaar
Hello Engineer
Cavern of Dreams
Aground Zero
Vividlope

honestly there are too many to list. this is the biggest Next Fest in a while

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
What are the good demos to try? There are too many games for Next Fest.