Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
they put a statement on discord about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mad Wack posted:

they put a statement on discord about it

From a computer security standpoint I would still implore people to seek out other options. You don't want to run a program made by this person after this.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This situation is an example of why I'm loathe to trust any kind of mod.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TheWorldsaStage posted:

From a computer security standpoint I would still implore people to seek out other options. You don't want to run a program made by this person after this.

agreed, and there are many many people in the discord making that same point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It has been |0| days since our last mod drama.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don’t use either but is there any reason someone can’t just use the base (open source?) version of reshade?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also every dev who asks for access priviledges unless it's absolutely, 100% needed deserves a loving slap to the face if not more. Because people will just click that poo poo without asking.

(I used to be one of those and now I have actual psychological damage from the sheer risk I put myself despite nothing bad happening).

It is true the more you know about PCs the more you want to go back to the Neolithic.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don’t use either but is there any reason someone can’t just use the base (open source?) version of reshade?

Not really unless Reshade has some hidden stuff, it's more to warn people to get rid of GShade.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's a handful of shaders that Reshade disallows to avoid potential conflicts with competitive integrity in games (e.g. disabling or lessening smoke effects in CSGO). GShade also has an FFXIV specific set of shaders that allow it to confine its draw calls to non-UI elements, which base Reshade doesn't have.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
modder drama is always the best

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

If you want to tweak the color or contrast? Naw base reshade is fine

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ah, I hadn't thought to follow the thread further up. I make that mistake all the time on Twitter. Thanks.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also every dev who asks for access priviledges unless it's absolutely, 100% needed deserves a loving slap to the face if not more.

When I was stuck with a tablet for a while last year I went looking around for games for it and holy poo poo it's unreal the sort of blanket permissions that almost all of them ask for without any reason to do so. No way of telling what's lazyness vs malice, either.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bruceski posted:

Ah, I hadn't thought to follow the thread further up. I make that mistake all the time on Twitter. Thanks.

No prob, twitter imbedding doesn't lend itself to posting threads, just individual tweets

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TheWorldsaStage posted:

No prob, twitter imbedding doesn't lend itself to posting threads, just individual tweets

Partially my bad for not including that in my first post too. :shobon:

At least the community is coming together to make going from gshade to reshade easy: https://gist.github.com/ry00001/3e2e63b986cb0c673645ea42ffafcc26

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah I use a version of reshade that's at least a year out of date. Apparently gshade has forced updates?

Yeah I've got gShade/stormshade or whatever the FFXIV-specific version is and it disables your effects if you don't update it. I'm a ton of versions behind myself, I haven't played much XIV lately so I didn't really notice.

So is it safe to go and update it now or what?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I believe the GShade owner already kicked the GShader mod out of the discord and announced the website will go back entirely to focusing on the zines they put out, so at least it's being treated somewhat reasonably.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah I've got gShade/stormshade or whatever the FFXIV-specific version is and it disables your effects if you don't update it. I'm a ton of versions behind myself, I haven't played much XIV lately so I didn't really notice.

So is it safe to go and update it now or what?

I wouldn't. I'd stay as far away as possible. I know the dev says their fixing it but when talking security once a dev has put malicious code in software you run, no matter how benign it might seem, that should be an immediate uninstall and scan. Trust has been broken at that point.

The community seems to be going back to reshade

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TheWorldsaStage posted:

once a dev has put malicious code in software you run

The dev said so, how can you not trust them? 🙃

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kyrosiris posted:

The dev said so, how can you not trust them? 🙃

Lmao I swear to God

Yeah stay far away from this person's software

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Burning any sense of trust in the community to own one guy."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Does this idiot dev fail to realize that messing with their userbase does not actually 'punish' the other dev in any way?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
the virgin gshade user vs the chad nevermodder

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Partially my bad for not including that in my first post too. :shobon:

At least the community is coming together to make going from gshade to reshade easy: https://gist.github.com/ry00001/3e2e63b986cb0c673645ea42ffafcc26

Wait a minute, gshade has an uninstaller but using it just removes your preferences and downloaded shader packs, *not* the actual .dll which will happily remain there and hook into XIV until manually removed? Somehow his take on whether a mod rebooting your computer constitutes malware makes more sense.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The game looks fine without gshade anyway

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FuturePastNow posted:

The game looks fine without gshade anyway

I think that's a huge it depends. Washed out and bland on my monitor unless I'm using HDR.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Whenever i see gshade screenshots they always look super blown out or the colors are all wrong.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Harlock posted:

I think that's a huge it depends. Washed out and bland on my monitor unless I'm using HDR.

Yeah base ffxiv has been kind of gray in my experience. Just nudging the contrast and color made a huge difference for me

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thundarr posted:

Wait a minute, gshade has an uninstaller but using it just removes your preferences and downloaded shader packs, *not* the actual .dll which will happily remain there and hook into XIV until manually removed? Somehow his take on whether a mod rebooting your computer constitutes malware makes more sense.

jesus loving christ

like, i'd argue to loving clean every poo poo, not even try to transfer shaders to reshade. specially since people on reddit are mentioning having to reinstall the whole game because it won't run after removing gshade. like gently caress that dev absolutely, with people like them no wonder i can't recover from my anxiety

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KoB posted:

Whenever i see gshade screenshots they always look super blown out or the colors are all wrong.

Most of the time when you can tell, they're using non-gameplay presets specifically meant for taking cool shots. There's ones that work well for just regular gameplay that just make things look slightly more vivid.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just stopping in to say that I, another casual strictly MSQ player, have finished the MSQ for Endwalker, enjoyed my time with the game very much, and have uninstalled and unsubbed for good. It's been one of my favorite single-player games over the last couple years and the soundtrack is peerless. My favorite zones were the beautiful Il Mheg and Elpis.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Congratulations!

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
As someone unfamiliar with gshade other then generally knowing people use it in a whole number of games, does all of this effect just the ffxiv ‘version’ of the tool or all of them? I know a lot of other games turn a blind eye to reshaders just because they’re generally harmless, but I’d imagine this most recent stuff isn’t great for that perspective. I was going to try and find a list of all their supported games but it looks like the main discord and their gposers site are all locked down (unsurprising considering the upset)

Either way, it seems like that one dev did a great job of loving up their whole project over a pretty minor and likely inevitable slight over how their tool updates/manages people using their shaders.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i play ff14 at 0 "brightness" which is really just a gray/white filter applied on top for some reason instead of actual brightness? and it honestly looks great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah base ffxiv has been kind of gray in my experience. Just nudging the contrast and color made a huge difference for me

It's interesting because in the default display settings, gamma is set to 50% - which makes everything look a little dull/gray. Cranking that down to 0 did a lot for me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fun Times! posted:

Just stopping in to say that I, another casual strictly MSQ player, have finished the MSQ for Endwalker, enjoyed my time with the game very much, and have uninstalled and unsubbed for good. It's been one of my favorite single-player games over the last couple years and the soundtrack is peerless. My favorite zones were the beautiful Il Mheg and Elpis.
Good times good crimes. And a good place to hang your hat, though they are taking pains to make it chunkable if you want to try out 7.0 when it hits :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Arist posted:

Most of the time when you can tell, they're using non-gameplay presets specifically meant for taking cool shots. There's ones that work well for just regular gameplay that just make things look slightly more vivid.

Your results may vary. I tried using various gameplay presets the couple of times I’ve tried GShade and they were all way too saturated and gave me a massive eyestrain headache trying to just do leveling roulette.

Also to be frank my GTX 1080 wasn’t up to the task of running GShade shaders and the game in 4K 60 fps at the same time and this is a game I actually value my fps in because I’ve found I play worse when the game starts dropping frames for whatever reason.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why would you uninstall for good, you know there's more story right

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They probably don't want to commit to another 10-year journey or whatever and are fine with EW as an ending. Which, fair.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Truga posted:

i play ff14 at 0 "brightness" which is really just a gray/white filter applied on top for some reason instead of actual brightness? and it honestly looks great.

This is key: the big problem with base FFXIV is that their brightness setting is literally just "add more grey" rather than doing anything to preserve color ratios.

Pretty sure they doubled down on this with portrait lighting, which is why it's such a struggle to make them come out looking anything but flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nessus posted:

7.0 when it hits :v:

Is that happening? I heard around that they had announced they had no plans for further expansions or whatever.