Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Calico Heart posted:

My work allows me to work from home twice a week on the condition I install TIME DOCTOR on my work laptop.

TIME DOCTOR is a "useful" "time management app" that "helps" workers manage their time. How does it do this? Well, you turn on TIME DOCTOR when you begin working. TIME DOCTOR then takes a screenshot of your computer screen once every minute and a half or so. If TIME DOCTOR does not detect you are typing/moving your mouse enough, a pop-up appears on-screen asking you if you are still working. You have 60 seconds to click "yes", or it will automatically put you on a break.

My boss can, at any point, look at the screenshots of all his employees using TIME DOCTOR. He can also check when they are registered as not working/on a break.

My work is research. This means, I am often reading or watching a video on my laptop which does not require input on my part. This means I am greeted with "ARE YOU WORKING?" pop-ups constantly.

TIME DOCTOR, in case you cannot tell, ifs a universally-despised program that does not in any way help workers whatsoever. It exists purely to nark on you to your boss when it thinks you are not working.

Best of all, TIME DOCTOR does not even do what it is loving supposed to do. This is because if your boss has 10 employees using it in a day, that's what - 400 pictures an hour? Even do-nothing bosses do not have time to loving scroll through all those screenshots.

Additionally, I can simply load up a Youtube video relevant to the topic I am researching, put it on .5x speed, and then do something else. As long as I mash an unimportant key like "`" every few minutes, it will not freak out. This does not stop it from being annoying as gently caress and essentially just being a form of psychological warfare against employees.

I, and everyone else I know, loving hates TIME DOCTOR.

https://www.amazon.com/mouse-jiggler/s?k=mouse+jiggler

A mouse jiggler would remove the unimportant key step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

jfc fuuuuuck that

Do like Homer and get one of those little water drinking birds to press space every 10 seconds and start applying to new jobs is my rec

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Driving for 15 minutes each way to and from work is killer meditation that only really works for me when I'm physically going to and from work. A joy ride at the begining and end of the day is completely different feeling.

The take over of a room or a desk in your restful family filled home is also psychologically invasive. If not incompatible to some of the more traditional ways of living to be a little more people dense than what boomers lived with and taught us. Things like multigenerational homes or packed bachelor pad roommates don't give a perfect place to work.

These aren't reasons for mandatory in office work. This just means the best possible pro worker stance is to make both work from home and office space available. Bosses want the workers to quibble with other workers about one or the other exclusively to save themself from being accountable for offering both if they really cared about productivity. Guess what, they don't, they just want the most predictable option which is what they grew up with and is well documented and known.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Outrail posted:

Does TIME DOCTOR work on macs?

I don't know - we are given HP laptops.

Vampire Panties posted:

https://www.amazon.com/mouse-jiggler/s?k=mouse+jiggler

A mouse jiggler would remove the unimportant key step.

Oof those are a little on the pricey side. Apparently there are programs that also just wiggle the mouse from time-to-time. What I would need to make it appear as if I'm working though would be a program that wiggles the mouse, scrolls, and ocassionally switches tabs just in case the boss does decide to check my screenshots. Also it couldn't show up in the task bar. I'm sure something like this must exist but haven't been bothered to look.

Apparently my boss took one dude at work aside and went through his screenshots with him asking hom what he was doing at certain points. Considering 've literally built a character on D&D Beyond during work hours with time doctor on I don't know how badly that dude could have been loving up.

If I had to guess, I'd say that my boss only really cares if Time Doctor narks on one specific person over and over in a short amount of time.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Do not dehumanize yourself or your face to the time doctor.

kashbrok
Jul 11, 2013
Our painfully old and painfully disconnected parent company's COO recently made an announcement in an all hands meeting that return to office is going to be a thing. He did this by saying "The policy already changed, we just aren't enforcing it... yet." He also clearly stated that he understands that productivity will be severely impacted, but wants people to talk face to face because COVID is no longer a thing. This was a surprise to basically everyone except HR who had already started deleting evidence. The hybrid work policy that we had to agree to and sign electronically is nowhere to be found, the signed versions are deleted, and later clean up the task requiring signing was removed. Someone even scrubbed the emails sent to let you know the signing task was even assigned. HR is going with "We didn't know and our management only found out 45 minutes before the meeting." which everyone understands to be a lie. HR and recruiters were actively hiring people under the hybrid work policy the week prior to the announcement.

Our CEO looks battered and defeated because he is expecting minimum attrition of 25% after bonuses are given, but from discussions it's more like 50%. He's also being blamed for our Glassdoor rating by his delusional bosses, but the reviews clearly state HR and senior management are the issue while giving him a pass.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Time for this Doctor to get their license revoked!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're not a tool to identify problems, they're a tool to provide justification for decisions already made. It's building a set of "evidence" that can be used to "prove" your lack of attention, bad attitude, incompetent behaviour etc. when they need/want to pressure you to do more, cut staff & refuse raises or w/e.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I've found that if I put my cheap-rear end optical mouse on a barcode it freaks the gently caress out and keeps my computer from shutting down due to inactivity.

This is the innovative mindset that my workplace cultivates in its employees.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 6, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The whole “we need everyone in office talking face to face to generate new business ideas” talking point is funny because since my work did hybrid home/office work the cafeteria has been so dead they keep asking people to sit and eat there, and no one actually talks work.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My company has floated that one a few times but lucky for me my team by design is spread across the country so we’d just be working together over teams from the office instead of from home, and my boss realised how loving stupid that sounds as a rationale so hasn’t tried to push it on us.

More pleasantly our head office is in a country in continental Europe and they’re insisting that nobody in any of the international offices be forced back to the office unless everybody at every international office is forced back to the office, so being on plague island where the government is just itching for us to get back to the office and make number go up isn’t as much of a hassle as it otherwise could be.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Disemboweling my company on the altar of The Office in order to put asses in seats is quite the :lol:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think I got the idea from this thread just make a mouse jiggler arduino and it will imperceptibly move your mouse and will keep the computer going. It’s very nice.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

I literally just shut down my work computer and get on with my day at 4:30. I don't work late, I don't check e-mails all night. It's literally never been a problem.

Ah well, guess I should be riding the bus downtown instead.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The place I quit had us using one of those suites to monitor people’s ‘productivity’ at home, and to give it its due it did let me tell the one guy who was constantly complaining about how he had so much work that he was forced to stay late every day to finish it that actually I could see he was taking 3-4 hours worth of breaks every day so he could shut the gently caress up about ‘having’ to work (paid) overtime to get his poo poo done or I could get the ball rolling on the disciplinary paperwork.

There’s always one dickhead taking the piss that makes companies over correct and introduce dumbass systems like this.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Escape From Noise posted:

I had a friend who was trying to import those into the US but I guess there were issues with street legality. It may have been because they were older though.

I wish I had enough to import an Autozam :(

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Calico Heart posted:

I don't know - we are given HP laptops.

Oof those are a little on the pricey side. Apparently there are programs that also just wiggle the mouse from time-to-time. What I would need to make it appear as if I'm working though would be a program that wiggles the mouse, scrolls, and ocassionally switches tabs just in case the boss does decide to check my screenshots. Also it couldn't show up in the task bar. I'm sure something like this must exist but haven't been bothered to look.

Apparently my boss took one dude at work aside and went through his screenshots with him asking hom what he was doing at certain points. Considering 've literally built a character on D&D Beyond during work hours with time doctor on I don't know how badly that dude could have been loving up.

If I had to guess, I'd say that my boss only really cares if Time Doctor narks on one specific person over and over in a short amount of time.

If you can install things, autohotkey is a godsend. Hospital policy was to shut off the VPN if the monitor went on standby (10 minutes of inactivity) which did NOT work for my department because some of the at home ladies were also doing work for the radiology group on the radiology computers which did not have this bs. I put autohotkey scripts that pressed some nonsense like F15 every couple of minutes and they were free to go between our workflow and radiology without the hell of trying to log back into the hospital VPN, which was trash and took forever.

gently caress time management software

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Johnny Truant posted:

jfc fuuuuuck that

Do like Homer and get one of those little water drinking birds to press space every 10 seconds and start applying to new jobs is my rec

Reminds me of when I worked a call center job 20+ years ago - they had call monitor software but the PCs were so trash it would make your cursor & apps slow down/get jittery. They didn’t lock task manager down so for us nerds we’d kill the task for the monitoring app or set it to a lower priority to avoid that crap :lol:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Calico Heart posted:

My work allows me to work from home twice a week on the condition I install TIME DOCTOR on my work laptop.

TIME DOCTOR is a "useful" "time management app" that "helps" workers manage their time. How does it do this? Well, you turn on TIME DOCTOR when you begin working. TIME DOCTOR then takes a screenshot of your computer screen once every minute and a half or so. If TIME DOCTOR does not detect you are typing/moving your mouse enough, a pop-up appears on-screen asking you if you are still working. You have 60 seconds to click "yes", or it will automatically put you on a break.

My boss can, at any point, look at the screenshots of all his employees using TIME DOCTOR. He can also check when they are registered as not working/on a break.

My work is research. This means, I am often reading or watching a video on my laptop which does not require input on my part. This means I am greeted with "ARE YOU WORKING?" pop-ups constantly.

TIME DOCTOR, in case you cannot tell, ifs a universally-despised program that does not in any way help workers whatsoever. It exists purely to nark on you to your boss when it thinks you are not working.

Best of all, TIME DOCTOR does not even do what it is loving supposed to do. This is because if your boss has 10 employees using it in a day, that's what - 400 pictures an hour? Even do-nothing bosses do not have time to loving scroll through all those screenshots.

Additionally, I can simply load up a Youtube video relevant to the topic I am researching, put it on .5x speed, and then do something else. As long as I mash an unimportant key like "`" every few minutes, it will not freak out. This does not stop it from being annoying as gently caress and essentially just being a form of psychological warfare against employees.

This made me feel rage. You should report TIME DOCTOR to the TIME MEDICAL board to have is TIME LICENSE revoked.

I think we have a few goons in here that created or grabbed scripts that make your curser move 2 pixels every 30 seconds to defeat programs like TIME DOCTOR.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

'management scholars' has got to mean MBAs, right

lol gently caress off with that poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bored posted:

This made me feel rage. You should report TIME DOCTOR to the TIME MEDICAL board to have is TIME LICENSE revoked.

I think we have a few goons in here that created or grabbed scripts that make your curser move 2 pixels every 30 seconds to defeat programs like TIME DOCTOR.

reminds me, there's a program that moves the mouse 2 pixels every few minutes I need to grab off the computers at work with a formatted thumbdrive before everything goes away.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lol vps of both sales and marketing gone in the same two week stretch

me:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

gwarm01 posted:

I literally just shut down my work computer and get on with my day at 4:30. I don't work late, I don't check e-mails all night. It's literally never been a problem.

Ah well, guess I should be riding the bus downtown instead.

I shut down my computer and don't think about work until the next morning and frankly it rules

On the sort of subject: what the hell is Agile? I saw it in my last job and it's like exploded in corporate popularity but I have no clue what it is other than some initiative that someone has a bug up their butt about

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

boar guy posted:

lol vps of both sales and marketing gone in the same two week stretch

me:

If you can't be a part of the solution, then there's money to be made in prolonging the problem.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

On the sort of subject: what the hell is Agile? I saw it in my last job and it's like exploded in corporate popularity but I have no clue what it is other than some initiative that someone has a bug up their butt about

Oh God

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

agile is a wonderful system of magical updates and rituals where just as much doesn't get done as before you implemented it

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
you'll want to spec into if if you're a rogue or a hunter

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Did I open up a can of worms :ohdear:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

what the hell is Agile? I saw it in my last job and it's like exploded in corporate popularity

this should tell you everything you need to know about Agile

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I shut down my computer and don't think about work until the next morning and frankly it rules

awww yes, here we go

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You just missed the last thread title.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

It would be easier to show up at the office and gently caress around on an unmonitored computer

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You know the phrase 'Measure twice, cut once'?

The opposite of that. Cut, measure what you've cut then cut again. Repeat till its the right size or you've hosed it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Very roughly, it's a development method that's meant to fix the problems with the traditional "design everything, then write it, then hand it over" waterfall method. In its original form, it seems to have worked quite well for some groups doing some kinds of work. It goes something like this:

- Find out the bare minimum the customer wants
- Design and create just enough to test it on the customer
- Take the current product back to the customer and get feedback
- Spend a few weeks implementing that feedback
- Repeat the last two until you run out of time or money

There's some other parts, like breaking the work down into small chunks that you can work through quickly, and the developers keeping each other updated on what they're doing.

And so so much magical thinking cargo cult bullshit that has developed as third parties realized there was a lot of money to be made selling Agile as a silver bullet to the C-levels.

e: The irony of Agile is that it started as a hands-off "just let the developers work in whatever way makes them most productive" approach, but you can imagine how that turned out.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 6, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Aramoro posted:

You know the phrase 'Measure twice, cut once'?

The opposite of that. Cut, measure what you've cut then cut again. Repeat till its the right size or you've hosed it.

Holy poo poo that's a great description.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Normally the mods come in here to tell us to shut up about agile.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Someone finally gave up on fixing our Lan and the decision has been made to go wifi only at our office. How this will work then the printers are only accessible if you are on the LAN I dunno. But a key part of this is also finally following through on the network upgrades that have been promised and put off since like mid-2021. So it'll probably never happen.

Also the fact that part of the stated rationale behind this is also "We'll pull all the cables out of the walls and sell it for a fuckload" definitely has me dusting off the resume faster than if they'd put a moratorium on free coffee.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Someone finally gave up on fixing our Lan and the decision has been made to go wifi only at our office. How this will work then the printers are only accessible if you are on the LAN I dunno. But a key part of this is also finally following through on the network upgrades that have been promised and put off since like mid-2021. So it'll probably never happen.

Also the fact that part of the stated rationale behind this is also "We'll pull all the cables out of the walls and sell it for a fuckload" definitely has me dusting off the resume faster than if they'd put a moratorium on free coffee.

Everything about that sounds so crazy it's either proof you're managed by idiots, or proof you're managed by liars - so yeah.

e: At best, I guess it suggests the company is so desperately out of money they'll sell the furniture next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

They can be idiots and liars. At least I know that's what our network team is composed of.