Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

imo the most frugal way to play this game is to play to the end of an expac, unsub, then come back the next expac for 40 bucks + a month's sub. enjoy your brand new story for the price of a new game every two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bleck posted:

Is that happening? I heard around that they had announced they had no plans for further expansions or whatever.

There is going to be a 7.0

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Endwalker literally contains a speech where they explain that there will be more expansions.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bleck posted:

Is that happening? I heard around that they had announced they had no plans for further expansions or whatever.

Where in the heck did you hear that because this game has, at the least, a 10 year development plan attached to it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

hopeandjoy posted:

Your results may vary. I tried using various gameplay presets the couple of times I’ve tried GShade and they were all way too saturated and gave me a massive eyestrain headache trying to just do leveling roulette.

Yeah, like, every time I tried using gshade it either made the game ugly, tanked my framerate, or made the game ugly and tanked my framerate.

Avoid pissbaby devs injecting malware to your system by being too stupid to use their software. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SettingSun posted:

Where in the heck did you hear that because this game has, at the least, a 10 year development plan attached to it.

I think there was an interview where they said "7.0 isn't coming out in 2023" and that got wildly misinterpreted to "7.0 isn't coming out".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Corbeau posted:

This is key: the big problem with base FFXIV is that their brightness setting is literally just "add more grey" rather than doing anything to preserve color ratios.

Pretty sure they doubled down on this with portrait lighting, which is why it's such a struggle to make them come out looking anything but flat.

the funniest thing is that even at 0, the game isn't even dark, so i have no idea why 50 is the default

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bleck posted:

lol no. This game is too big of a success for that. Next expansion is going to be early/mid 2024, probably March at the earliest.

They ended the story they had been telling since ARR in Endwalker because it's been 10 years since ARR and they didn't want to drag it out much longer. Now they're going to move onto a new story. They literally said something along the lines of "setting up for the next 10 years of FFXIV".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
since they moved patches from 3 to 4 months, and there's 5.5 patches per expansion, i'm guessing early summer 2024 for next expansion

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They'd have to be incredibly stupid to abandon FFXIV at this point and the game is run by the one Square-Enix exec who isn't incredibly stupid

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

There was a SE shareholder communication about the 2023 financial year which said no plans for an expansion, which was fairly obvious and most people expect the next xpack to land in 2024.

Some clickbaity article got written about it along the lines of "no more expansions planned"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

People saw an investment thing which said 'No 7.0 in 2023' and instead of the logical thing (7.0 in 2024) thet decided to panic and assume the game was cancelled.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

SettingSun posted:

The Square Enix financial report slides had the line 'no expansions currently planned' when talking about either the current financial year or quarter, and a couple gaming rags took it and ran with NO MORE FF14 EXPANSIONS headlines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

7.0 will see "a new broad MSQ narrative, if obviously with much of the same setting/characters" but there will indeed be one.

Square ain't letting this cow go until it stops giving milk. That said, it does not seem impossible that at some point there would be an epoch shift or something just because we probably do not have infinite narrative space here, but the team seems to be more talented than whoever is writing WoW. (not to invite too much crossfire there)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yoship has at the very least mentioned ten more years if things keep going as they are

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Telarra posted:

The Square Enix financial report slides had the line 'no expansions currently planned' when talking about either the current financial year or quarter, and a couple gaming rags took it and ran with NO MORE FF14 EXPANSIONS headlines.

This is more or less what was described to me. I didn't look much into it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Why can’t modders just be normal

I have to reinstall now :mad:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it would be boring if people were normal. people being weirdos and blowing up their reputation over nothing is part of the fun

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
For those who may need it
Guide to migrating to Reshade from Gshade.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thundarr posted:

Wait a minute, gshade has an uninstaller but using it just removes your preferences and downloaded shader packs, *not* the actual .dll which will happily remain there and hook into XIV until manually removed? Somehow his take on whether a mod rebooting your computer constitutes malware makes more sense.

It leaves the symlink to Gshade’s DLL which makes the ReShade installer complain, which is probably intentional.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

YggiDee posted:

Endwalker literally contains a speech where they explain that there will be more expansions.

Which they added because playtesters assumed Endwalker’s ending was final.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mordiceius posted:

It's interesting because in the default display settings, gamma is set to 50% - which makes everything look a little dull/gray. Cranking that down to 0 did a lot for me.

Yeah setting gamma to 0 was all I ever needed. But it’s gonna vary a lot based on people’s monitor (and it’s calibration) and their own personal tastes.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah setting gamma to 0 was all I ever needed. But it’s gonna vary a lot based on people’s monitor (and it’s calibration) and their own personal tastes.

Yup. Even doing that I needed the color boosted by like 10 increments, which is hard to describe for people who don't use the programs but it's a whisper of a nudge.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Which they added because playtesters assumed Endwalker’s ending was final.

Emet-Selch, turning to the camera: There will be more expansions to Final Fantasy XIV (tm).
The gaming press: no expansion in 2023??? no expansions ever??????

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

This guide worked just fine for me, though I forgot what the old shader preset I used was so I'll need to poke at those again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

As dumb as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if press assumed the financial report was an update/implied a cancellation of earlier 7.0+ plans? Squeenix has had no shortage of boneheaded decisions I feel like everyone just expects the worst from them.

"Won't buy our NFTs huh?! Well what if we kill off everything else good that we got going on?! Then you'll have no choice!"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are enough bad things happening without coming up with new ones to worry about

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nessus posted:

Square ain't letting this cow go until it stops giving milk. That said, it does not seem impossible that at some point there would be an epoch shift or something just because we probably do not have infinite narrative space here, but the team seems to be more talented than whoever is writing WoW. (not to invite too much crossfire there)

You say this but we apparently have two whole continents that have yet be explored as well as large parts of Ilsabard, and also six(?) shards of Etheirys that are now free of Ascian meddling.

We aren't running out of potential content any time this decade.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 6, 2023

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I thought the "no expansion" thing about FFXIV was that they expect Endwalker to be the peak of the concurrent subscription count

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I only used GShade for some very minor presets to make the colors pop out a bit, but this does seem like a good time to give ReShade a try instead. That transition guide was helpful. Potentially malicious developer fuckery aside, it will be nice to no longer endure any forced updates whenever the developer decides they need to tweak some value, and that's reason enough to make the switch alone frankly.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I thought the "no expansion" thing about FFXIV was that they expect Endwalker to be the peak of the concurrent subscription count

It has to do with this slide from the Q3 2023 slides SE put out on friday. Just another case of irresponsible journalism and clickbait headlines going viral, because the slides are only talking about the financial year ending in june 2023.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I only used GShade for some very minor presets to make the colors pop out a bit, but this does seem like a good time to give ReShade a try instead. That transition guide was helpful. Potentially malicious developer fuckery aside, it will be nice to no longer endure any forced updates whenever the developer decides they need to tweak some value, and that's reason enough to make the switch alone frankly.

the dev was forcing updates because people were complaining about the all the forced updates (i think we had like three days in a row once?)

oh, and forcing updates just to ship their lovely attempts to break the literal child's hack around the forced updates

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Chillgamesh posted:

Why can’t modders just be normal

I have to reinstall now :mad:

And people thought I was weird for asking GShade to be decompiled to check for malware.

It ain't paranoia if maliciously adding malware to their plugin to demand that it be used in a way that only they decree valid is entirely in line with their character. People who aren't weird and insistant about being the petty dictator of the fiefdom they've created don't respond to FAQ entry requests with that.. thing. And they certainly don't react the way they did today.

V
Point is, Marot's a d-bag, and such behavior was always within the realm of possibility with them, and this is a series of events that has been way overdue.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 7, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, it didn't then.

Although sounds like its always been junk. I don't run any third party tools because I'm not a criminal though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm approaching Shadowbringers (Just did The Burn), and if I've picked up accurate information from general thread osmosis, there's:
-No individual job quests, only one per role, with a mage/ranged/melee split for DPS.
-No DoH/DoL quests at all (I am assuming because each time I finish a 60-70 line it has failed to tell me when the next job quest would be available).
-No Hildibrand.

Something in the back of my mind is saying this was because that was the year the tsunami hit. Which is fine, it'd be a dick move to demand everything remain exactly as it had been during a disaster. But if I'm accurate in most or all of that, my question is: What's there to do in SB, then? Main story and? Do I just need to hop back and do tribals when I get distracted?

On a similar note, I also started Eureka and... is this all there is? Running around doing the most boring part of the MMO? Any plot is gated behind getting some kind of crystal, but they're not telling me where to get it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

you're right about Role quests replacing job quests -- DoH/DoL get a similar treatment via Crystalline Mean quests which are also divided up into groups instead of one for each job (there's 5 quest lines total). no hildibrand is also correct. there is the bozja southern front which is an iteration on eureka (it's better). there are dungeons and raids and extremes just like every other expansion.

the thing to "do" in shadowbringers is do however much of it you want then move on to endwalker.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dareon posted:

I'm approaching Shadowbringers (Just did The Burn), and if I've picked up accurate information from general thread osmosis, there's:
-No individual job quests, only one per role, with a mage/ranged/melee split for DPS.
-No DoH/DoL quests at all (I am assuming because each time I finish a 60-70 line it has failed to tell me when the next job quest would be available).
-No Hildibrand.

Something in the back of my mind is saying this was because that was the year the tsunami hit. Which is fine, it'd be a dick move to demand everything remain exactly as it had been during a disaster. But if I'm accurate in most or all of that, my question is: What's there to do in SB, then? Main story and? Do I just need to hop back and do tribals when I get distracted?

On a similar note, I also started Eureka and... is this all there is? Running around doing the most boring part of the MMO? Any plot is gated behind getting some kind of crystal, but they're not telling me where to get it.

The physical ranged/melee split isn't until Endwalker, there's only four role quests in Shadowbringers.

There are DoH/DoL quests, but they're also broken into five roles. BSM/ARM/GSM, CRP/WVR/LTW, CUL/ALC, MIN/BTN, and FSH gets one all to itself.

They skipped Hildy for Shadowbringers because they felt like they just didn't have anything funny to write.

If you want to do Eureka, use a guide. It's definitely designed to evoke early 00's MMO gameplay otherwise and you'll have a hard time without.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 7, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dareon posted:

-No Hildibrand.

So the role quests in ShB are Tank, Healer, Physical DPS, Magic DPS. If you finish all four, there's a wrap up questline. In EW Physical DPS got further split into Ranged and Melee. There are not individual DoH/DoL quests, but similar to DoW/DoM, there are combined storylines that work a little like custom deliveries. Weaver, carpenter, and leatherworker share one; then armorer, blacksmith, and goldsmith; then culinarian and alchemist; then botanist and miner; and finally fisher gets one all to itself.

There's no Hildebrand but there is still 8-man and alliance raids plus the trial series like every other expansion. There's also Bozja, which is like Eureka. It's really not any less than StB.

The only thing that's actually missing is Hildebrand and also a wrap up quest if you max out all three tribes. The lack of Hildebrand is because the writing team was having trouble coming up with a plot, the lack of final tribal quest is because COVID.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 7, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Dareon posted:

-No Hildibrand.

1. Correctish. The split is mage/healer/tank/physical dps. In EW they split up melee and physical dps.
2. There's the crystalline mean quests which are more or less the same thing as role quests. fisher/miner+bot/wvr+ltw+crp/bsm+gsm+arm/alch+cul so 5 quest lines total. Same split in EW.
3. Correct, though he's back in EW.
4. 3 different beast tribes, bozja, some blue mage levels if you had that maxed out, The Firmament (added during shb, I guess technically it unlocks during hw), some new custom delivery npcs, bi color gemstone farming.
5. Yes, Eureka sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eureka is cool and has a fun raid attached to it.