Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Justin Tyme posted:

RLM nailed nu-trek by explaining that the characters of nu-trek are very unprofessional thus giving the whole show an unserious air. Hemmer was the best character in SNW because he was a strict professional unlike the quippy smartass captain or teenager crewmen.

yeah. this along with Kurtzman being a plagiarist hack made SNE extremely mediocre at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lizzo is very concerning to dudes who rock

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also I'm of the opinion shorter season orders (SNW was like 10? episodes) sort of spoils what makes classic trek so good. When you've got to pad out a season for 25-some episodes you really rely on the writing to carry you instead of big setpieces or special effects, some of the best TNG episodes took place on like two or three sets involving four characters.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Would anyone consider: Vovager, Enterprise, Discovery, Picard, or Strange New Worlds watchable if you had no idea what Trek was?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Would anyone consider: Vovager, Enterprise, Discovery, Picard, or Strange New Worlds watchable if you had no idea what Trek was?

I've never seen a star trek other than first contact. I can recognize picard and riker and janaway from osmosis but couldn't tell you about tonal differences between the various incarnations

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

Also I'm of the opinion shorter season orders (SNW was like 10? episodes) sort of spoils what makes classic trek so good. When you've got to pad out a season for 25-some episodes you really rely on the writing to carry you instead of big setpieces or special effects, some of the best TNG episodes took place on like two or three sets involving four characters.

It's shorter seasons but we're getting like 30 to 50 episodes of Star Trek a year at the moment. Lower Decks and SNW don't have a ton of big set pieces. Even Discovery has episodes of (mostly Michael) a few characters interacting with others.

Anyway, DS9 is still best, but the new Trek hate gets tiresome. There's lovely episodes in the totality of what we get in a year, and there's good ones. The ratio doesn't seem all that different than the old shows, but it doesn't help that most of the really bad is concentrated in a show or two.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ardennes posted:

drat this is a great question, SNW I'd say yes because it's got whedon-rear end dialogue and fancy special effects that gives it broader appeal (to the detriment of being watered down as a "star trek" show), the rest though, probably not

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ardennes posted:

SNW yeah. Voyager, not so much. Picard, no. I kind of did watch Discovery with minimal experience with the franchise, and it was fun, just stupid too. I tend to have low standards though when spaceships are involved (except if they are in the Stars fighting Wars).

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nichael posted:

It's shorter seasons but we're getting like 30 to 50 episodes of Star Trek a year at the moment. Lower Decks and SNW don't have a ton of big set pieces. Even Discovery has episodes of (mostly Michael) a few characters interacting with others.

Anyway, DS9 is still best, but the new Trek hate gets tiresome. There's lovely episodes in the totality of what we get in a year, and there's good ones. The ratio doesn't seem all that different than the old shows, but it doesn't help that most of the really bad is concentrated in a show or two.

I do like Lower Decks as its own thing, and the argument we're getting more episodes in aggregate makes sense. I suppose it's just me being cranky about "generic 2010-2020's quippy detached irony fiction writing" in general.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starfleet going from an age of sail navy in space to a bullshit twee email job in space would be funny if it was deliberate commentary instead of totally unaware.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Starfleet going from an age of sail navy in space to a bullshit twee email job in space would be funny if it was deliberate commentary instead of totally unaware.

I don't see how it's not the former still in Prodigy, Lower Decks, and SNW.

Prodigy's entire plot is outsider kids becoming the best version of themselves through applying the Federation's ideology and Starfleet's procedures to their lives.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

RLM nailed nu-trek by explaining that the characters of nu-trek are very unprofessional thus giving the whole show an unserious air. Hemmer was the best character in SNW because he was a strict professional unlike the quippy smartass captain or teenager crewmen.

its funny that in tng it takes a full 7 years for picard to even consider relaxing, slightly, while off duty, around his top crew

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

its funny that in tng it takes a full 7 years for picard to even consider relaxing, slightly, while off duty, around his top crew

the one time he tried singing a shanty in the lounge everyone thought "drat something is up captain is acting weird"

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1622588594207481856

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

the one time he tried singing a shanty in the lounge everyone thought "drat something is up captain is acting weird"

he's having fun, we need to mutiny! is a great example of what star fleet used to be

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Nichael posted:

Anyway, DS9 is still best, ...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SentimentalDizzyKentrosaurus-mobile.mp4

I've recently started a re-watch of DS9, Season 1. I love it. The characters are so good.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'll always like Voyager's intro the most, regardless of the quality of the show.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

absolutely nothing, in any franchise or show, ever, will have a joke as series-spanning and great as the DS9 scene where they are forced to retcon TOS klingon character design with TNG+ era klingon character design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xka6IYCpj4E

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

plz repost i want to see it

Twitter thread starts here

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1025051074028351488?t=gwjtkRve-423b7KgCsbm2Q&s=19

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Operation Pantherclip

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's just like how dga rules dictate that the director can't direct the action of individual background actors, but they can absolutely tell the assistant directors to do so

For the record this hasn't been a DGA rule for a long time. But any director worth their salt mostly lets the ADs do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Wakanda Forever Fever

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

El Diablo Bob O posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SentimentalDizzyKentrosaurus-mobile.mp4

I've recently started a re-watch of DS9, Season 1. I love it. The characters are so good.

First few seasons are ok but when Worf shows up in Season 4 and starts demolishing everyone's poo poo it really takes off.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Zeroisanumber posted:

First few seasons are ok but when Worf shows up in Season 4 and starts demolishing everyone's poo poo it really takes off.

worf pretty much turns into the rebirth of Kahless when he gets on DS9

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

it was nice that worf started sucking less when he got to ds9

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RandolphCarter posted:

it was nice that worf started sucking less when he got to ds9

he still got punked by Gowron on the reg

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

reactionaries are terrified of dorky theater kid poo poo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
TNG and DS9 are decent

Orville desperately wants to be TNG but Seth McFarlane can't stop doing his shtick and there's a bunch of poo poo jokes and obvious caricatures

Discovery is spotty, it's got some good stuff and some poo poo.

Picard is absolute trash

Lower Decks is fun if you've watched way too much trek since it's all references

SNW I haven't watched much yet

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lower decks is genuinely funny if a little saccharine at times

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i only need to consume DS9 once every two years. DS9 is star trek at 30. The peak of what Trek can be, with nowhere to go but down. everything else is the midlife crisis, senility, and undeath of the franchise

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

lower decks is the most fun when they go back to the planets that were visited during TOS and TNG just to find that the pat solution that the Enterprise came up with at the time came unraveled almost immediately.

That and the entire vault of comically evil AIs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
snw is fine, which is about as good as trek has been in a long, long time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

probably why it captures the spirit of trek the best of the new properties. Merging the idealism of trek into a show that could get made these days would have to lean that way.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

commander leslie knope

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
at this point i will happily take earnest and saccharine over grimdark or glib whedon monkeycheese

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Laterite posted:

at this point i will happily take earnest and saccharine over grimdark or glib whedon monkeycheese

the problem with this is that Ted Lasso also sucks

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
oh please HCFS saccharine is grating as well.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

In conclusion, media is bad

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zisky posted:

For the record this hasn't been a DGA rule for a long time. But any director worth their salt mostly lets the ADs do it.

true, the dga won't step in but sag will definitely shoot off a grievance for it, so the line producers and upms (in NY at least) act like it's still a rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

he still got punked by Gowron on the reg

Doesn't Worf kill Gowron for being dishonable little bitch or sometbjng its been too long since I watched DS9. I will not pay for Parmount+