Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I tried WoW a couple of months ago after not playing for a long time and I had no idea what was going on or where to go. My buddy had to lead me around to the Chronomancer or whatever it was called to pick our story or something and it was a nightmare. Whatever happened to creating a character and going through the starter zones and just leveling normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LuckyCat posted:

I tried WoW a couple of months ago after not playing for a long time and I had no idea what was going on or where to go. My buddy had to lead me around to the Chronomancer or whatever it was called to pick our story or something and it was a nightmare. Whatever happened to creating a character and going through the starter zones and just leveling normally?

They want you to play the newest stuff and only the newest stuff. Which is at odds with the story and setting being one long timeline, with major callbacks to Warcraft 3, Vanilla, etc.

It’s a mess.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I recently started WoW up during a lull period in FFXIV and having only played during BC and Legion I am also in the "who the gently caress is Wrathion" club. I read his backstory the other day and he's a little poo poo which is cool though. The main villain of the expac is a lot of fun and has great Rita Repulsa energy so she's the star of the show IMO. As per usual the individual zone storylines are pretty good, at least.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, I gave up on... everything and just did dungeons until I hit 60 and it unceremoniously dumped me in Orgrimmar to go to Dragon Town. The actual Dragon zone quests are... not bad, so far. They're not great, and the cutscenes are loving jarring when they begin and end. It's still somehow some of the worst storytelling I've seen in an MMO (a genre noted for lovely storytelling). But running around the zones and killing stuff is a pretty zen-like experience. It's fine.

I plan on playing til I hit the level cap cuz I wanna check out Mythic dungeons. I'll probably play for a couple months at least, until FFXIV's 6.4 patch comes out, perhaps, unless something in WoW really grips me, which I think is unlikely.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

jokes posted:

They want you to play the newest stuff and only the newest stuff. Which is at odds with the story and setting being one long timeline, with major callbacks to Warcraft 3, Vanilla, etc.

I find this a hair, just barely, more preferable to having to mash through the old stuff to play the new stuff (or else pay :10bux: and be narratively out of the loop as already discussed.)

I do enjoy blasting through XIV's story content, but then I'll get to some side storyline I think is neat and ... it's dead raid content nobody should be wasting any time on.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Before the Chromie time feature you would out level expansions fast enough to not even complete any of the expansion story lines. I think I got a zone or maybe two done before you would have to move since the level scaling was only for the XP band of the expansion back iirc.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Odd Wilson posted:

Does it have a log out button? Those are pretty important.

Wow look at this zoomer catering garbage, it has a /camp command like all real MMOs

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

doomisland posted:

Before the Chromie time feature you would out level expansions fast enough to not even complete any of the expansion story lines. I think I got a zone or maybe two done before you would have to move since the level scaling was only for the XP band of the expansion back iirc.

Yeah Chromie time is really nice because it means that I can see a decent amount of an expac's story from character creation to level 60. I obsessively do all the sidequests I can find too though so I usually only end up finishing 2-3 zones before I hit 60 though.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

hot date tonight! posted:

Wow look at this zoomer catering garbage, it has a /camp command like all real MMOs

Hard core games now remove all logout, if you escape the toon will stand around till someone kills it.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I loved this game back in the day. I tried playing it again last year and it does not hold up well at all. Too dated.

Yeah. I did play it a bit as a kid though it was on a private server as I had no access to a debit or credit card at the time

It was too grindy so I never managed to progress much, but still I think it was the 1st actual mmo I ever played

It truly is dated. Whereas UO albeit extremely dated itself, is still playable

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ranzear posted:

I do enjoy blasting through XIV's story content, but then I'll get to some side storyline I think is neat and ... it's dead raid content nobody should be wasting any time on.

with roulettes, no content should be dead content but people game the system by taking their clothes off to get lower item levels when they queue so they only get low level poo poo
it kinda sucks and i hope they fix that

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Holy gently caress... I attempted to login into T4C just for the nostalgia...

Turns out Steam only supports some kinda german only shard...and there is no shards for english speakers to play on through Steam

And out of the 4 dev company servers the only 1 with a playerbase is in french (the 3 english speaking servers population is 0, 0 and 9)

So I am now counting myself among the 10 most interesting people on the planet, those who login to play T4C on Realmud server lets go

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Truga posted:

with roulettes, no content should be dead content but people game the system by taking their clothes off to get lower item levels when they queue so they only get low level poo poo
it kinda sucks and i hope they fix that

coils of bahamut is a pretty big exception since it's somewhere in between extreme and savage difficulty-wise and isn't in any roulettes. but if you make an unsynched "story" party in party finder you can usually fill it enough to blow through the whole thing pretty quickly.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I played T4C very very briefly like 20 years ago. I remember almost nothing about it except the outdoor theme, which slapped.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Pickles posted:

Holy gently caress... I attempted to login into T4C just for the nostalgia...

Turns out Steam only supports some kinda german only shard...and there is no shards for english speakers to play on through Steam

And out of the 4 dev company servers the only 1 with a playerbase is in french (the 3 english speaking servers population is 0, 0 and 9)

So I am now counting myself among the 10 most interesting people on the planet, those who login to play T4C on Realmud server lets go

I can't believe the Realmud server is still going. Its over 20 years old.

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
Anybody ever play Dragonrealms? Decent MUD that's been going at least 25+ years. It manages to suck me back in once in a while, but is a super high learning curve and quite a grind.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

duddits posted:

Anybody ever play Dragonrealms? Decent MUD that's been going at least 25+ years. It manages to suck me back in once in a while, but is a super high learning curve and quite a grind.

Haven't played it but I used to know a few mods.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I and my comrade revisit Batmud twice a decade or so. We might be due actually.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I said come in! posted:

Have any of you been playing any mobile MMORPGs?

Oh you mean hit game of the decade, Genshin Impact?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
if there is ever a good mmo ever again, it will not be on mobile

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaysette posted:

This is the truth, though I thought FFXI on mobile was promising. A lot of that game already requires very, very little user input.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There will be a good MMO again, it will be on mobile and thus noone from this thread will ever play it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm actually kind of enjoying New World but I didn't actually play it until a couple weeks ago. I was looking for an MMO to putter around in and it was between that and ESO and I just didn't feel like navigating the ESO+ / expansions / DLC gauntlet.

I may still pick up ESO at a discount to try out since I've also been on a Morrowind kick lately, but I've been reading a lot of complaints about its monetization lately. Also I played it like 8 years ago and there was something about the combat I didn't like that probably hasn't changed.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm actually kind of enjoying New World but I didn't actually play it until a couple weeks ago. I was looking for an MMO to putter around in and it was between that and ESO and I just didn't feel like navigating the ESO+ / expansions / DLC gauntlet.

I may still pick up ESO at a discount to try out since I've also been on a Morrowind kick lately, but I've been reading a lot of complaints about its monetization lately. Also I played it like 8 years ago and there was something about the combat I didn't like that probably hasn't changed.

I also enjoyed New World for a week or two. The sound design was pleasant. That is my review of New World, I got a refund.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

It for sure will never be on PC too though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
dark and darker is having a play test with a solo mode, is good

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I resubbed to WoW cuz I never did Mythic+ dungeons and they sound interesting but I might get too bored to even get to them. I hit 70 yesterday and I'm already very ambivalent toward the World Quests and Renown grinding and even the normal mode dungeons

Mistake.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 8, 2023

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I no longer ever think “ok, this is going to be my game/home now” they way I used to in the 2000s when whatever new MMO of the month was released (surely THIS is the wow killer at last!). I just treat MMOs like any other game and drop them as soon as they get boring, which is usually about a month.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I no longer ever think “ok, this is going to be my game/home now” they way I used to in the 2000s when whatever new MMO of the month was released (surely THIS is the wow killer at last!). I just treat MMOs like any other game and drop them as soon as they get boring, which is usually about a month.

It would be better for you to drop them after a month and change, please

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I started playing the FF14 free trial again after bouncing off it during peak pandemic. It’s been a nice contrast to eve. Low stakes, story based, catgirls. Hit 40 on my BLM and the rotation is finally getting interesting. I haven’t played many jrpgs but there’s something familiar and nice about sinking back into a tab targeting mmo and doing quests.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think I'm going to pick one of the many, many MMOs I've dabbled in but not gotten too far in and try to hit level cap (or high skill numbers if I end up picking something like Ultima Online or EVE) at a leisurely pace and, like, do group content and crafting and generally chill stuff.

I have no loving clue which game I am going to do this in.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I think I'm going to pick one of the many, many MMOs I've dabbled in but not gotten too far in and try to hit level cap (or high skill numbers if I end up picking something like Ultima Online or EVE) at a leisurely pace and, like, do group content and crafting and generally chill stuff.

I’m basically doing this in WoW classic. I never played horde past about level 40 in vanilla, and I almost exclusively played casters, so I’ve rolled a undead rogue on a pvp server for as radically different of an experience as I can get (with the added bonus of becoming the obnoxious ganker instead of the gankee). I’ve gained about 25 levels in a couple weeks, and am in no rush.

It’s amusing because everyone else leveling in my range is kitted out head to toe in heirloom gear, so I’ve been getting my pick of loot in dungeons. And since the majority of people are playing expansion content, the overworld isn’t terribly crowded so there’s little competition for quest mobs, I’m finding lots of rare spawns, chests, etc. The economy is hosed from inflation due to people buying gold, so I’m rolling in cash from selling random low level greens and crafting materials. It’s like I’m getting to play a whole new game even though I’ve played it to death, but with all the obnoxious parts of the grind removed. Also there’s an entire guild whose sole purpose appears to be to poo poo up Barrens chat on Saturday night.

A+++ would recommend.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

join us in ffxi on the new private server. don't think there's a better game out there for leisurely paced group content and crafting

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Jazerus posted:

join us in ffxi on the new private server. don't think there's a better game out there for leisurely paced group content and crafting

I'm actually playing ffxi on live for the first time, I have a... 73? Summoner and finished RotZ before taking a little break. Gonna go back to it at some point.

I have a list of mmos in consideration for this, but picking one is the problem. Not gonna worry about it for a couple months anyway.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
tell me more about the ffxi private server

can you make accounts easily unlike the official NA server

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I might check out this private server too

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FrostyPox posted:

I keep telling myself I'm going to do this but then I get to one of the many, many "this part is boring but it's the key to the good part" sections and go "why am I doing this"

When you're not chasing a carrot as fast as you can you start to realize you're just running on a treadmill.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I keep telling myself I'm going to do this but then I get to one of the many, many "this part is boring but it's the key to the good part" sections and go "why am I doing this"

When you're not chasing a carrot as fast as you can you start to realize you're just running on a treadmill.

See I'm wondering if I'll find the treadmill less annoying if I'm not too bothered about the carrot, since then the treadmill isn't in the way.

Is it good? Is it bad? Like, it just is, man.

The long list of games I'm considering:
EQ (played when I was like 14 during Kunark, never hit 20 cuz lol teenager attention span)
EQ2 (played at launch, stopped at 24 to play more WoW)
Asheron's Call (see EQ)
Anarchy Online (See EQ)
LotRO (played at launch to 20, went back to WoW)
DDO (played at launch to like.. level 3, went back to WoW)
Guild Wars (didn't really understand it when I played, think I'd get it better now)
GW2 (was balls deep in the Secret World so quit around level 40)
Elder Scrolls Online (played the beta, was playing... something else at the time though)
Age of Conan (played at launch, quit at like 26 because WoW)
EVE (didn't want to take the time to learn it well cuz WoW)
UO (isometric never appealed to me but I did ay a free trial at one point in the misty haze of history)

EDIT: I suppose DAoC could be an option, I played at launch and it met the same fate as those other early mmos, but I did try again like two years ago and got to 50 and played in the Frontiers for like a week but didn't get too deep into it.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 8, 2023

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

LotRO (played at launch to 20, went back to WoW)

I played this recently on the Treebeard server (which is basically the equivalent to WoW classic), it was a lot of fun but everyone playing are folks who have been playing since launch, so folks rush through content like any other mmo. I enjoyed it when I was playing solo, but once I started getting in to pubbie dungeon groups a lot of the fun fell away because people were skipping content/sprinting through fights/complaining that I didn't know what I was doing [I didn't], etc. A good guild (or friends who also haven't played the game before) might address these issues, though.

FrostyPox posted:

UO (isometric never appealed to me but I did ay a free trial at one point in the misty haze of history)

Modern UO is unrecognizable compared to original UO, I wouldn't recommend it. Outlands is a great free shard, but ye be warned it is brutal. The map feels a lot smaller than original UO and good loot/leveling spots are therefore highly concentrated, so you'll get ganked a lot unless you're rolling with a posse. They also not only allow, but actively promote macroing and in fact the client download straight up includes a third party macro tool, so the "normal" way of playing is to create a character and then leave it casting spells on a polar bear in a zoo overnight so you can skip a lot of the grind. You don't have to do this, but UO is a VERY grindy game if you don't, especially for some of the most sought after skills (eg. animal taming).

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

tell me more about the ffxi private server

can you make accounts easily unlike the official NA server

thread is here

yes the account and character creation take like a minute. getting set up is extremely simple. it's a 2005-era server that's going to progress slowly through all of the content while trying to retain the balance and spirit of classic pre-NPC-teammates, level-75-cap FFXI. so very similar to 2005 retail right now, but eventually it's going to be its own beast that doesn't really resemble any era of retail.

there are 2k-4.5k people online at all times which is basically full capacity for an ffxi server; if you've ever been curious about the "genuine" classic ffxi experience, this server's your chance to check it out with a high enough player population that the intended experience is working correctly

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 8, 2023