Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Unlike Keith Baker, Matt still owns Exandria and things related to it. They were able to maintain control over their setting.

It extremely sucks that Keith can only make Eberron things on DM's guild and can't sell his own thing separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Siivola posted:

I’m having trouble deciding whether the starter boxes or Curse of Strahd are the most iconic adventures, so wherever those are set I guess.

I feel like Strahd is one of the most iconic adventures, but part of that is because of how distinct it is from normal 5E in tone. It'd be like saying Dark Sun or Spelljammer is The setting for an edition.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dexo posted:

Unlike Keith Baker, Matt still owns Exandria and things related to it. They were able to maintain control over their setting.

It extremely sucks that Keith can only make Eberron things on DM's guild and can't sell his own thing separately.

That does suck rear end, and you can tell Keith still loves the world from how he keeps contributing to it. He deserves better than that even if he did probably sign away all rights to it from the campaign setting contest it came from. I just think as far as 5e getting "new" settings, well Exandria is it, and that's very emblematic of the state of 5e.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 6, 2023

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I wish Wizards would show Mystara a little love.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
For what it's worth I don't need new settings.

I want more fleshed out Forgotten Realms outside the Sword Coast. What the gently caress is going on in Cormyr rn?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What's the elevator pitch for Exandria?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CitizenKeen posted:

"Do you listen to a podcast"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dexo posted:

I want more fleshed out Forgotten Realms outside the Sword Coast. What the gently caress is going on in Cormyr rn?

My favorite part is a sidebar in one of the FR Books about how Not-Egypt somehow survived having a continent dropped on it but it's fine now because Ra came down and told them to knock it off with all the slavery and racism so they're Good Now please stop asking.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

Oh man I loved the Cormyr novels

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Improbable Lobster posted:

"Do you listen to a podcast"

I don't listen to CR, no. Is it just "another fantasy setting", or does it have actually notable changes in theming like Dark Sun, Spelljammer, and Eberron?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CitizenKeen posted:

Fallen world fantasy. A long time ago in the Age of Arcanum there was a world of super high magic and tech, advanced enough that certain people became gods, the roads to other realms were wide open and humans and the divine interacted freely. Then The Calamity took place: The Betrayer Gods were released onto the mortal plane and started destroying everything, and the Prime Deities fought them in a battle that nearly destroyed the world and ended with the banishment of both the Betrayer Gods and the Prime Deities, leading to a damaged world with less direct contact to the gods, magic being significantly less powerful, and there being vestiges of ancient tech scattered all over the place. About eight hundred years later, our story starts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

It's just like a generally more well thought out world that feels cohesive than what Wizards has put out recently with forgotten realms.

It's not something that is unique or anything like a Ravnica or Eberron, it's just a well done execution of fantasy. Where the source books they've released cover two of the entire continents and have stories and hooks to use.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wow I didn’t think it was possible for you to be any cooler but yet

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't know who's the audience for little regional books on bits of forgotten realms to make it worth actually publishing as physical books.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up a Tamora Pierce book as a teen and couldn't quite get into it, but The Steel Princess was a formative role model.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I don't know who's the audience for little regional books on bits of forgotten realms to make it worth actually publishing as physical books.

You don't need to have it be small regions.

You could do a book about an entire continent.

Also Paizo is doing and making books around regions like the Impossible lands and the Mwangi Expanse.

It can be done.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

In comics? All the time. Most of them just end up fading into obscurity because they tend to be a writer's pet creation or no one is interested in them or both. Just about every relaunch there's at least one or two new series that tries and headlines a new character. The latest one by DC is "Monkey King" based off of the mythological character. Three or more ago, it was the character Sideways.

That's a good, informative answer from the perspective of someone who has kept themselves informed of what Marvel and DC are doing.

But I had no idea they were doing any of that so I bet Hasbro execs trying to make an MCU happen out of their IP through mimicry of Marvel/DC probably don't realise they do that either.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Panzeh posted:

It existed during 3.5, There were several books on little regions of the forgotten realms. And honestly that's what the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide was, it just happened to be a regional book about the one region they cared about.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

It existed during 3.5, There were several books on little regions of the forgotten realms. And honestly that's what the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide was, it just happened to be a regional book about the one region they cared about.

There were two in 4e even - Neverwinter and Menzoberranzan.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1622632488357986307

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Xelkelvos posted:

In comics? All the time. Most of them just end up fading into obscurity because they tend to be a writer's pet creation or no one is interested in them or both. Just about every relaunch there's at least one or two new series that tries and headlines a new character. The latest one by DC is "Monkey King" based off of the mythological character. Three or more ago, it was the character Sideways.

Obviously there is a cost for making a new setting, financial or otherwise, but the general benefit is to nominally show off the new facets of the rules and mechanics of emphasize changed ones. Magic is a big example of this where new mechanics generally come on new planes centered around that mechanic. And from a mechanical point of view, that's what a new setting offers rater than having to fit a setting around the new mechanics.

Otoh, in 5e's case, most of the mechanics are just rehashes of 3.5 or 4 mechanics so there's nothing really new in the paradigm unlike with the change to 4e where there was a lot more to show off

I don't keep track of DC very much, but here are some Marvel characters who have debuted since D&D 5th Edition launched:
  • Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan
  • Iron Heart
  • Angela Odinsdottir (technically created by Neil Gaiman in the 90s for Scott MacFarlane, but added to the Marvel Universe in 2014)
  • Ghost Spider / Gwen Stacy Spider
  • Silk
  • Gwenpoole

So, you know, Marvel is creating successful characters all the time. But it's a spaghetti-hits-the-wall scenario; most of the characters they introduce / launch die on the vine.

If D&D still had Dragon and Dungeon, they could do what Marvel / DC does. Hire somebody to write up a ten page setting every month. Include two feats, a spell, etc. The problem is that D&D only launches two or three things a year, so the comparison isn't to comics, it's to tentpole movies. When you only put out two or three things a year, you're not going to release "art", you're going to go back to a familiar and established brand.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't keep track of DC very much, but here are some Marvel characters who have debuted since D&D 5th Edition launched:
  • Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan
  • Iron Heart
  • Angela Odinsdottir (technically created by Neil Gaiman in the 90s for Scott MacFarlane, but added to the Marvel Universe in 2014)
  • Ghost Spider / Gwen Stacy Spider
  • Silk
  • Gwenpoole

So, you know, Marvel is creating successful characters all the time. But it's a spaghetti-hits-the-wall scenario; most of the characters they introduce / launch die on the vine.

If D&D still had Dragon and Dungeon, they could do what Marvel / DC does. Hire somebody to write up a ten page setting every month. Include two feats, a spell, etc. The problem is that D&D only launches two or three things a year, so the comparison isn't to comics, it's to tentpole movies. When you only put out two or three things a year, you're not going to release "art", you're going to go back to a familiar and established brand.

You forgot Moongirl and Devil Dino!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CitizenKeen posted:

Also, if you release two to three things a year, you're not going to put out a Chult guide, you're going to want to be doing something a little less niche.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bottom Liner posted:

Well, Moon Girl. Devil Dinosaur is from the 70s.

Also Kamala predates 5e by like a few months, but whatever, she's great. Also her and Ironheart have made incredibly fast leaps from page to screen.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

drat, you're right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Jack Kirby created Devil Dinosaur in 1978

Note Moon Boy, who I guess has been converted into Moon Girl, which is fine of course but I'd argue means she isn't an original character either.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh huh they axed Dragon+ last year.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

theironjef posted:

Well, Moon Girl. Devil Dinosaur is from the 70s.

Also Kamala predates 5e by like a few months, but whatever, she's great. Also her and Ironheart have made incredibly fast leaps from page to screen.
Shoot, correct. I was looking at the playtest for D&D Next (which came out before Kamala, who yes, is great), but yeah, actual 5E didn't come out until later.

Leperflesh posted:

Note Moon Boy, who I guess has been converted into Moon Girl, which is fine of course but I'd argue means she isn't an original character either.

Moon Boy is a different character than Moon Girl.

Almost no Marvel characters are "original". See, e.g., the entire list of what I posted. Everything's a derivation of a thing that came before. This is also true of most D&D settings.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Jack Kirby created Devil Dinosaur in 1978

I... would not personally want to make that argument.

CitizenKeen posted:

Almost no Marvel characters are "original". See, e.g., the entire list of what I posted. Everything's a derivation of a thing that came before. This is also true of most D&D settings.

I was racking my brain for characters that really are original (even Gwenpool who doesn't really have anything to do with Gwen Stacy or Deadpool besides being inspired by a picture of the one drawn as the other hardly counts) and you either have to go into some obscurities, side projects, or further into the past. Stuff like that weird attempt at a new New Warriors that never happened because Snowflake and Safe Space are extremely terrible concepts. But Nico Minoru is a good example, she showed up around 2001 and has broken into video games and stuff and has a unique power and vibe. Also 2003 or so what when Reptil showed up, and his goofy "turn parts of his body into dinosaur parts" bit certainly hasn't shown up anywhere else. But neither has he really, he squibbed out.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 6, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh OK I just assumed, lol!

CitizenKeen posted:

Almost no Marvel characters are "original".

Well, fair enough, although they've got like hundreds of characters in their back catalog, maybe thousands, so the full gamut of types of hero have pretttty much been covered anyway.

I haven't bought a superhero comic in decades so I guess it's showing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Not Lamuella, but making one good new setting for an edition really crystalizes what fantasy that edition is focused on,
"Your nostalgia is objective truth" IS the fantasy 5e is focused on.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 6, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

As someone moderately new to GMing, I do feel a bit sad to have missed the age of the Official Magazine. Yeah, I could subscribe to a Pathfinder Adventure Path, but it feels like it would be nice to get a monthly or quarterly mag with a small adventure, a few neat bits and pieces, and some random poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lamuella posted:

As someone moderately new to GMing, I do feel a bit sad to have missed the age of the Official Magazine. Yeah, I could subscribe to a Pathfinder Adventure Path, but it feels like it would be nice to get a monthly or quarterly mag with a small adventure, a few neat bits and pieces, and some random poo poo.

for the record that's what a pathfinder adventure path is, it's like half adventure and half articles

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Outside of the official magazine bit, I think it's really rad that the TTRPG space is one where community zines of all things are not just still around, but kinda thriving.

What other hobbies have independent zines on this level? Is there someone out there selling mimeographed woodworking or stamp collecting zines like hotcakes?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lamuella posted:

It's not the same, but you can "subscribe" to the old Official Magazines. It's a fun trip down memory lane with a lot of content that you can repurpose with some work. That work will range from "minimal" to "Herculean/Augean" though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

People didn't buy the Epic Level Handbook because they were playing lots of high level D&D. They bought it cause it was cool and they aspired to play those levels, but how many campaigns actually got there? The reality is that Wizards could have put out a lot more 5e material, including higher level stuff, and they'd have made a lot more money. But they have been extremely stingy with the content.

Higher level adventures have this double-whammy problem. Out of every party, only one person needs to buy an adventure. And out of every party, only a scant few pass the high levels. Those books just aren't going to sell as well as just "Otiluke's Big Book of Player Options" and so that's generally what WOTC focuses on.

Also I know Pathfinder makes a shitload of adventures that stray into higher levels, but Paizo was literally built to make the books that WOTC didn't want to. That was one of the core intents of the OGL and all, to offload books that gamers expect but don't actually buy that much of to smaller, hungrier developers.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I would expect the skew of players has significant differences between DnD and even PF. As the entry/casual product (not trying to be an insult, just the product you'll find with minimal effort), I expect a much larger portion of DnD player groups don't hit high levels as players realize they're not actually into RPGs/they find another RPG they like better/other expectations don't meet reality.

PF, even though it's still a big name, probably has a lot more players who know exactly what they're getting into, so campaigns are likely to go longer & higher. It's fairly reasonable that WotC may want to skew their products towards the majority of customers at low level, while other companies can serve a larger portion of their players with higher level content.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also almost all high level pathfinder content are explicitly continuations of lower level content. Whereas most WotC high level content is either stand alone or only a very distant sequel. If you're playing high level D&D you are very likely doing so as a result of playing lower level D&D and not just rolling up high level characters out of the blue.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Towards the end of Spellstorm, the second last book Ed Greenwood was allowed to write for the setting, Elminster is shooting the poo poo with the ghost of Alusair in 1489. She asks him to share his insider knowledge and asks if there are any big threats/adventures/conspiracies in Cormyr coming up.

El faffs around a bit awkwardly and eventually admits that nothing interesting will happen in Cormyr for a long time, and anything important to happen will exclusively happen in the Sword Coast.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also almost all high level pathfinder content are explicitly continuations of lower level content. Whereas most WotC high level content is either stand alone or only a very distant sequel. If you're playing high level D&D you are very likely doing so as a result of playing lower level D&D and not just rolling up high level characters out of the blue.

They got a continuation of Abomination Vaults coming out later this year, right?