Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Does it matter for your comparison that it wasn't Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fedor Vs Rogers was fourteen years ago, in case anyone wanted an existential crisis about life going way too quick

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Brut posted:

Does it matter for your comparison that it wasn't Friday?

This is what I get for posting while half-awake, but hilariously enough, no, not really; CBS's programming for that timeslot on Saturdays is a rerun of 48 Hours followed by a new episode of 48 Hours, which have been doing about 2 and 3 million apiece respectively.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
UFC 284 Embedded - ep 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDQwdmY7Fk

e. Josh Emmett seems like a decent guy from his visit to the wildlife park. Is there some background of his that I should be wary of? That part of the video is a must watch for animal fans.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 6, 2023

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This may have been posted but if you're looking for some Dillon Dannis schadenfreude, check this. It's bout 15 mins

https://youtu.be/AVqcwi1ZTSA

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/Probayashi/status/1622421592931434496

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

HAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

God dana white sucks

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just realized the volk super fight is THIS WEEK after a coworker mentioned it and I haven't heard poo poo about this fight being promoted whatsoever, am I crazy??? I've heard way more about dana's white power and other poo poo (jon jones, conor, etc) than i would like. Nothing about this fight at all. Anyone else???

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
did they open the show with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFBD3KjRtOM

beep by grandpa posted:

I just realized the volk super fight is THIS WEEK after a coworker mentioned it and I haven't heard poo poo about this fight being promoted whatsoever, am I crazy??? I've heard way more about dana's white power and other poo poo (jon jones, conor, etc) than i would like. Nothing about this fight at all. Anyone else???

I heard volk is fighting some guy, a possible pound for pound best, but I can't quite remember his name

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

ilmucche posted:

I heard volk is fighting some guy, a possible pound for pound best, but I can't quite remember his name
he's not fighting belal muhammad

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

In the last two weeks there have been five videos on the UFC's youtube channel regarding UFC 284, and they are:
  • The weekly UFC Embedded vlog
  • An hour-long Islam/Volk skill breakdown
  • The UFC 284 countdown video (they also clipped two portions of this video out to turn into separate videos but that doesn't count because they're the same loving video)
  • A repost of Makhachev submitting Oliveira
  • The long version of the 284 commercial
In the two weeks before that, the UFC's youtube channel posted the following:
  • A trailer for THE NEXT MUST-SEE EPISODE OF POWER SLAP
  • A Star is Born: A 6-minute documentary on a power slap competitor
  • Michael Bisping Tries His Hand At Power Slap
  • The Top 5 Chins of Power Slap Week 2
  • A trailer for THE NEXT JAW DROPPING EPISODE OF POWER SLAP
  • Top Commentator reactions from Power Slap Week 1
  • The Battle For The House: a power slap video, Dana White's head is the thumbnail, I don't know, I'm not watching these
  • Slap Jesus will make you a believer
  • Top 5 Power Slap Knockouts
  • This Power Slap Striker's Showing Someone from Nowhere Can Go Places Real Fast
  • A trailer for THE NEXT EXPLOSIVE EPISODE OF POWER SLAP
  • The Origin of Power Slap
  • The One Eyed Wolf is an absolute ANIMAL! POWER SLAP!
So, no, you have the measure of it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Is it hosted by Michael Chandler?

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

UFC 284 Embedded - ep 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDQwdmY7Fk

e. Josh Emmett seems like a decent guy from his visit to the wildlife park. Is there some background of his that I should be wary of? That part of the video is a must watch for animal fans.

I never really felt any kind of way about Josh Emmett but now that I know he thinks koalas are cool and was a little scared to hold a wombat I have decided he is my new favorite Potential Interim Featherweight Champion

also he is apparently a gigantic nerd and calls himself The Fighting Falmer because he looks like a cave-dwelling goblin which I appreciate a lot

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Boco_T posted:

he's not fighting belal muhammad

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's a discussion topic that all of this brings to mind: at what date was the slate of UFC champions at its best

A couple of rules just to establish criteria:

1) No hindsight. You can pick whatever date you want, but you're only allowed to judge the fighters by things that happened before that date. You can choose whatever you want from the past relative to your date in question. If you looked at Rousey as less when her bad shadow boxing vids came out? Cool - that's fine.

2) Only positive measures. Nicco Montano may have been a nothingburger champ, but weigh things on the assumption that adding her to the champs was at worst, value-neutral (and frankly, I knew some people who were hype for her irl). Of course, no number of Nicco Monanos or Germaine de Randamies are worth a GSP.

Other than that, the main criteria should be competitive excellence and how hype you were to watch them fight.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Anderson, GSP, Penn and Aldo overlapped, right? Even if I’m wrong and you have scratch Penn, that’s my clear winner without having to account for anyone else.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Cain/JDS, Jones, Anderson, GSP, Edgar, Aldo, Cruz in 2011 is hard to beat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shumagorath posted:

Anderson, GSP, Penn and Aldo overlapped, right? Even if I’m wrong and you have scratch Penn, that’s my clear winner without having to account for anyone else.

They did! But Anderson, GSP, Aldo, overlapped with Jon Jones and Cain.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Was Cain overrated?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Skjorte posted:

Cain/JDS, Jones, Anderson, GSP, Edgar, Aldo, Cruz in 2011 is hard to beat.

So this photo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

Was Cain overrated?

I don't think so, but he was inconsistent because of injury . Imo the version of Cain that murdered nog, Brock, JDS, and bigfoot is one of the scariest fighters ever.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The 2011 roster is almost certainly the canonically correct answer, but I think there's a surprisingly good argument to be made for mid-2019. Stipe Miocic, Jon Jones, Robert Whittaker, Kamaru Usman, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Max Holloway, Henry Cejudo, Henry Cejudo, Amanda Nunes, Amanda Nunes, Valentina Shevchenko, Zhang Weili.

(honorable mention, mid-2017: Stipe Miocic, Jon Jones (or Daniel Cormier if you don't count that stricken-from-the-record reign), your choice of Robert Whittaker or GSP which is a fight I'm still mad we never got, pre-crisis Tyron Woodley, Conor McGregor at the height of his power, Max Holloway, TJ Dillashaw, Demetrious Johnson, Cris Cyborg, Amanda Nunes, but then you hit the skids with Nicco Montaño and try to recover with Rose Namajunas.)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I don't think so, but he was inconsistent because of injury . Imo the version of Cain that murdered nog, Brock, JDS, and bigfoot is one of the scariest fighters ever.

We still saw the shadow of that guy against Travis Browne and goddamn that was clinical. His injuries and resulting inconsistent schedule make him hard to rank. Overall, he's more a 'what if' despite having a very good career. Not a million miles away from Shogun in that sense.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CommonShore posted:

They did! But Anderson, GSP, Aldo, overlapped with Jon Jones and Cain.
yes but i do not like jon jones

Digital Jedi posted:

So this photo
:hmmorks:

This lineup is good enough to endure Jon Jones imho

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

CarlCX posted:

In the last two weeks there have been five videos on the UFC's youtube channel regarding UFC 284, and they are:

So, no, you have the measure of it.

Carl out here doing harder hitting MMA journalism than the actual pros.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Josh Emmett seems like a nice guy, but his clown tattoos give me strong second-hand shame.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Is it hosted by Michael Chandler?

lmao

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Fight Week, Pets Week is back with UFC 284

Here's Josh Emmett's lil guy, Apollo

Jack Della Maddalena's dog

Jimmy Crute's large pal

Jamie Mullarkey's pup

Loma Lookbonmee's 2 friends

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Excellent dogs this week

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

pet week rules and mullarkey's dog makes me feel bad about picking against him so often

Also in the inevitable, Kevin Lee is back in the UFC after a lengthy and notable free agency that included such wonders as "beating 2022 Diego Sanchez by decision at a weight class that doesn't exist" and "nothing."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Shumagorath posted:

This lineup is good enough to endure Cain imho

being objective of talent and logetivity here as much as it pains me

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lucasar posted:

Josh Emmett seems like a nice guy, but his clown tattoos give me strong second-hand shame.

Josh Emmett will blaze a trail for "UFC fighter who looks like the average UFC fighter and what people think of when you say UFC fighter" to be the first world champion of the bald head, beard, and random tribal tattoos group

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Cain endeared himself to me by making Brock breakdance and losing to Werdum because his “legendary” cardio couldn’t handle Mexico City.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On one hand: Prime Cain might actually be the best heavyweight of all time talentwise and he made both Brock and Pride fans incredibly unhappy, and he also knocked Junior dos Santos out with a Diamond Cutter in real life.

On the other hand: His injuries were a plague, his prime was wasted on rematches and he almost killed a bunch of people and then shot a guy near my friend's house.

I am averaging these out and sticking with Stipe.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Jamie Mullarkey's pup

I'm getting extreme Good Boy/Good Girl energy from this one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cain ruled, just absolutely frightening. What he did to JDS is just one of the most unholy beatings any man has ever delivered. He completely changed the course of the man's career. Just stinks his knees were a wreck.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CarlCX posted:

The 2011 roster is almost certainly the canonically correct answer, but I think there's a surprisingly good argument to be made for mid-2019. Stipe Miocic, Jon Jones, Robert Whittaker, Kamaru Usman, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Max Holloway, Henry Cejudo, Henry Cejudo, Amanda Nunes, Amanda Nunes, Valentina Shevchenko, Zhang Weili.

(honorable mention, mid-2017: Stipe Miocic, Jon Jones (or Daniel Cormier if you don't count that stricken-from-the-record reign), your choice of Robert Whittaker or GSP which is a fight I'm still mad we never got, pre-crisis Tyron Woodley, Conor McGregor at the height of his power, Max Holloway, TJ Dillashaw, Demetrious Johnson, Cris Cyborg, Amanda Nunes, but then you hit the skids with Nicco Montaño and try to recover with Rose Namajunas.)

Whittaker being the weakest link there is pretty impressive. Jones, Khabib, Holloway, Cejudo, Nunes (at both weights) Shevchenko, and Weili all have arguments as the best ever in those divisions.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Cain ruled, just absolutely frightening. What he did to JDS is just one of the most unholy beatings any man has ever delivered. He completely changed the course of the man's career. Just stinks his knees were a wreck.

Cains a good example of a guy who's just too tough for his own good. For years he was doing stupid work outs that broke his body but he did it out of toughness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
On the subject of Cain, there are some guys who, when they are winning, look more like they are committing a crime than engaging in an athletic contest.

Compare a dominant Cain performance with a dominant Holloway or GSP performance; Holloway beating the brakes off of Kattar was one-sided but it was still a sport. GSP completely neutralized Thiago Alves, but it still seemed like an athletic competition. Cain beating up Bigfoot was like a snuff film.