Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ErrEff posted:

If you can get to the game's Engine.ini you should be able to modify it so that these effects are disabled - probably somewhere in the game's AppData folder.

code:
[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
If these lines aren't there, try adding them.

Scene fringe is Unreal's term for chromatic aberration: https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/RenderingAndGraphics/PostProcessEffects/SceneFringe/

Thanks, but it's Unity. I found the right file that has the other GFX settings and there's even one for chromatic aberration, but it doesn't seem to take. Maybe that's why it's not shown in the game's UI unlike the other settings. I hope this gets fixed until release, I find this so eye straining to look at I will probably not want to buy it like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

zoux posted:

Oh he doesn't have anything good to say about it at all?

The main positive points he brings up is that he really likes the setting and characters, and that he enjoys the combat when the controls aren't being fucky. Seems like a classic case of "if you like the franchise you'll like this, otherwise probably meh", except in this case the review kinda seems to assume the "being a fan" part to be a given. :shrug:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm honestly looking forward to hearing all these gamergaters frantically trying to justify how it's a masterpiece of a game.

Anyways game reviewer interacts with media in the most shallow way possible, news at 10

Yeah... the review literally opens with "I've been waiting for a good Harry Potter game since third grade". This isn't going to be a critical review or a deep analysis, it's surface-level stuff. They are at least nice enough to mention the incredible amount of technical issues (that might be fixed with a day one patch, I dunno) but none of that is going to be worked into the final judgment. This guy has been dreaming of a 'good' Harry Potter video game experience for most of his life and will uncritically gush about it now that something resembling that is finally in their hands.

Also numbered scores are stupid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perestroika posted:

The main positive points he brings up is that he really likes the setting and characters, and that he enjoys the combat when the controls aren't being fucky. Seems like a classic case of "if you like the franchise you'll like this, otherwise probably meh", except in this case the review kinda seems to assume the "being a fan" part to be a given. :shrug:

I wouldn't expect otherwise. I think I've seen like one movie, maybe two, and read none of the books and I'm just not interested in this at all, despite being an open world gaming liker.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Harry Potter as a franchise is so utterly vacuous that “it’s for fans of the franchise!” isn’t as anodyne a statement as it usually is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Harry Potter as a franchise is so utterly vacuous that “it’s for fans of the franchise!” isn’t as anodyne a statement as it usually is

Well it is for children.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Anno posted:

One last round of Humble key cleaning. Please post if you take a key or try and it's already redeemed!
SUPERHOT : MIND CONTROL DELETE

Want to say thanks again! It is fun when I pull off something good when surrounded and dodging bullets and whatnot; a great game for playing a bit here and there or longer if time allows, easy to lose track.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
ACG has a pretty glowing review up for it. PS5 version I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRM3RKC6tT0

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The ps5 thread is great because people are like “everyone knows JK is a horrible monster!” And then like 10 min later a dude comes in and is like “I legit had no idea about her till I read it in this thread but I’m not buying the game now” lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Perestroika posted:

As people have pointed out elsewhere, it reads a little schizophrenic. It kinda goes like "Performance is garabage, bugs are common, controls are bad, enemy variety is nonexistent, story is dumb, 9/10 love it"

That's so common to game journos that the number score for a review is becoming completely meaningless for many of them, much less the ones who don't give number reviews just get 'normalized' by some random metacritic intern in order to generate that all important overall score.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1622478304094859264

Hmmmmmmmmm

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordja posted:

Anyways I played some of the Meet Your Maker demo and it commits one absolutely cardinal sin that I hope they can fix: you die in a single hit to everything and there's a not-insignificant loading screen when you restart a run. Unacceptable.

What sort of disk is it installed to? Loads speedy fast for me on every Normal raid I've done so far :shrug:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Oldstench posted:

ACG has a pretty glowing review up for it. PS5 version I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRM3RKC6tT0

Every combat encounter in the video looks like the enemies haven't had their AI loaded in yet or something. Are they just supposed to kind of stand there and put a different color barrier up?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hogwart's Legacy takes bold anti-PC stance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Hogwart's Legacy takes bold anti-PC stance

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

In other news, anyone try that new SpongeBob game? Saw it was on PC. But I dunno if I should get it on Steam or console due to concerns of how well it runs. It's recommended specs look low enough to kill twice over, though

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I said come in! posted:

Last night I finished Homeworld 1 for the first time ever. I loved it so much, the story, music (ESPECIALLY THE MUSIC), and now its time to play Homeworld 2.

HW2 (only play the remastered btw) had a few questionable decisions in their choice of mechanics, but most of that gets brushed aside because the maps/missions are generally quite decent. The storytelling however is pants, you're advised not to listen to a word of their gibberish.

I've played a few RTS games in the past year or so, and all sorts of sins or virtues get forgotten just by the simple metric of "Is this mission fun?" during single player. So it's a real mixed bag!

Oh and btw after HW2 (and catacylsm, if you can get it working), Deserts of Kharak is a lore-faithful, mood-faithful homage to the OG while doing its own interesting mechanical things. It's wasn't the 'Game of the Year', but it's absolutely worth playing if you enjoyed HW1. I'll also throw out House of the Dying Sun as a obscure indie gem, which mixes Tie Fighter with Homeworld for some very good bite-sized scenario results.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Desert of karak is excellent, much better than homeworld 2 imo. Hw2 had such annoying gameplay parts that I'm not sure I finished it even as a diehard fan of the first one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://hard-drive.net/hd/reviews/review-this-loaded-gun-pressed-against-my-temple-is-a-flawed-9-10/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There's a trans character in the Potter game?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
All game reviews should be on a 5 point scale and when you reveal your score you have to do the x-play pause between the score and “Out of 5”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The one true scale right here.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Only going to play the new Harry Potter game if it's recommended by Dr. Zombie.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 6, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Phantom Brigade seems really impressive from the demo, great that it comes out this month.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
there's a billion streamers streaming the game right now including PC version, it looks like an 8-9/10 to me after watching a few hours of it

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i think my biggest issues from what i've seen so far is that the PC is yet another special person/chosen one (at least so far it looks that way) and the dialogue is about the quality of a harry potter movie (aka kinda boring)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat yeah Phantom Brigade seems cool as hell. Not sure that I fully understand how to play it effectively but I like when everything clicks and it works out exactly like you planned.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The only thing that would make me at least slightly interested in the game is if the super secret magical power everyone wants turns out to have been originally stolen from Goblins and they're just trying to reclaim their cultural artifacts.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

pentyne posted:

The only thing that would make me at least slightly interested in the game is if the super secret magical power everyone wants turns out to have been originally stolen from Goblins and they're just trying to reclaim their cultural artifacts.

If the moral of the HP game at the end was like "the Goblins resorted to violence in response to an ongoing campaign of propaganda/genocide by the wizards, they were morally correct to do so" that would own a lot. Then the Wizard Prime Minister turns to the camera and says "trust me fellows, in one hundred years Wizards and Goblins will be living side by side as brothers" as footage from the movies where they are bullied by children plays.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

explosivo posted:

drat yeah Phantom Brigade seems cool as hell. Not sure that I fully understand how to play it effectively but I like when everything clicks and it works out exactly like you planned.

I did feel like I was missing things a little, like I didn't seem to be able to move-attack-move, and I wish it were a little easier to reorder your timeline.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Last night I finished Homeworld 1 for the first time ever. I loved it so much, the story, music (ESPECIALLY THE MUSIC), and now its time to play Homeworld 2.

You should play Cataclysm (Emergence) and then HW2. Despite its age it doesn't take much at all to get it running properly and I don't care what anyone says neither HW1 or HW:C needs a touch up.

Mordja posted:

Don't let other people tell you what to think, just listen to me instead: HW2 is actually the better game even if the story isn't as good.

The interplay of fighters and corvettes is better but everything else is dogshit, sorry.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

I did feel like I was missing things a little, like I didn't seem to be able to move-attack-move, and I wish it were a little easier to reorder your timeline.

For sure. I was thoroughly confused by the UI the whole time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Based on how people stopped talking about Forspoken I assume that people will stop talking about Dogfarts in 2 weeks/whenever another big game comes out

Like, a dragon, maybe

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The 7th Guest posted:

Based on how people stopped talking about Forspoken I assume that people will stop talking about Dogfarts in 2 weeks/whenever another big game comes out

Like, a dragon, maybe

You don't seriously believe this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drumpf am I rite?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kazil posted:

You don't seriously believe this.
The internet moves on to new subjects at an incredibly rapid rate. by the time thinkpieces go up for some internet fancy, its time in the zeitgeist is already over

Doesn’t even have to be a game like this, think about how discussion of Horizon Forbidden West evaporated a couple weeks after release

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 7, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

The internet moves on to new subjects at an incredibly rapid rate. by the time thinkpieces go up for some internet fancy, its time in the zeitgeist is already over

the pace of game releases has shattered communal experiences outside the biggest of larges, so taking potshots at the hot topic of the month is the replacement

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

victrix posted:

the pace of game releases has shattered communal experiences outside the biggest of larges, so taking potshots at the hot topic of the month is the replacement
yep

it's only february and already we've got one of the tentpole releases of the year out. and Ishin later this month, and Atomic Heart. and next month is Wo Long, the PC port of Last of Us, Jedi Survivor, and the RE 4 Remake

there's no lull anymore so there's nothing for people to rest on unless it's something once-in-a-generation like Elden Ring or BOTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Wizard game is going to be a near-Elden Ring level of event, I don't think it's going away so easily.