Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpu5a0Bl8eY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My fiance spotted a weird plane and sent it to me. It was a C-17.

I traced its flight path and it came all the way from Washington just to sit in a hold in Pasadena, fly over the LA Coliseum once, and then return to Washington.

:allears: How we gonna pay for it?

Edit: it was for a NASCAR event.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Feb 6, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does nascar pay for the flyovers or is it marketing for the air force?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

marketing/training

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lmao a C-17 flyover

wow!!!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

A photoshop, but funny

Thanks

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

you’re welcome

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sullat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPmeLibaVwg

this one almost as good and also somewhat ballon-related

lmfao

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Laterite posted:

lmao a C-17 flyover

wow!!!

At least use the c-5

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!
us air force send a lockheed ac-130j ghostrider to loiter threateningly over the super bowl

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

croup coughfield posted:

us air force send a lockheed ac-130j ghostrider to loiter threateningly over the super bowl Johns Hopkins

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

*Lol someone at JH sprinting to buy a radio

Phone post.

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Feb 7, 2023

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

we did it boys

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

we did it boys

doesn't look very high tech

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Trabisnikof posted:

we did it boys

👏 👏 👏 :patriot:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Trabisnikof posted:

we did it boys

I wonder if the drag from the deflated balloon could have functioned as a parachute and allowed more intact payload recovery. Which is to say I wonder why they didn't use the cannon. It's a balloon, you don't need the full muzzle velocity.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

skooma512 posted:

I wonder if the drag from the deflated balloon could have functioned as a parachute and allowed more intact payload recovery. Which is to say I wonder why they didn't use the cannon. It's a balloon, you don't need the full muzzle velocity.

AA missiles are just spraying out a bunch of shrapnel anyway. cannons need to be fired much, much closer. way more things that could go wrong. various other reasons. AA missile warheads usually spray out a big circle of fragments, so it's just popping the balloon with a bunch of holes. The cannon ammunition is also going to include a mix of HE incendiary ammo which (not sure if it would at the given altitude) could set the balloon on fire or otherwise blow it the gently caress up more than the AA missile would have.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

skooma512 posted:

You need really big holes if you want it to come down anytime on your own schedule, cause the pressure inside a high altitude balloon is only a very tiny amount smaller than the pressure outside. from what I understand, shooting it with a gun is only slightly different from the effect of not shooting it at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

AA missiles are just spraying out a bunch of shrapnel anyway. cannons need to be fired much, much closer. way more things that could go wrong. various other reasons. AA missile warheads usually spray out a big circle of fragments, so it's just popping the balloon with a bunch of holes. The cannon ammunition is also going to include a mix of HE incendiary ammo which (not sure if it would at the given altitude) could set the balloon on fire or otherwise blow it the gently caress up more than the AA missile would have.

HE cannon rounds have impact fuses and would just pass through

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

we did it boys

all of the interesting bits are at the bottom of the sea and all we got was the balloon part didnt we lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Slavvy posted:

HE cannon rounds have impact fuses and would just pass through

right. unless they hit the actual payload, which is what they'd want to not explode.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

all of the interesting bits are at the bottom of the sea and all we got was the balloon part didnt we lol

im sure they 'found' enough to confirm it was a spy satellite full of evil intent

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Weird how quick the Biden admin narrative changed from "it's a weather balloon" to "it's a secret spy balloon superweapon that we must destroy."*

*after it has passed over the US landmass and can't possibly do any more useful surveillance.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Some aircraft cannon fuzes are superquick, and some are delay depending on the specific ammunition. There are “balloon” fuzes for Soviet 23mm, for example, designed to initiate on well, balloons.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
fair. f22 cannon firing probably shakes off the RAM coating or something anyway.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

croup coughfield posted:

us air force send a lockheed ac-130j ghostrider to loiter threateningly over the super bowl

Hopefully no medics are required on the field.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

clearly we need a new high altitude interceptor armed with a shrapnel gun capable of absolutely shredding the poo poo out of high altitude balloons so they fall down fast.

no this will have no other combat use.

I estimate development costs at 4 billion and unit costs at 80 million.

I am taking no questions at this time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

4 billion is a loving bargain you need to up your grift game before you're taken seriously

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

chairface posted:

clearly we need a new high altitude interceptor armed with a shrapnel gun capable of absolutely shredding the poo poo out of high altitude balloons so they fall down fast.

no this will have no other combat use.

I estimate development costs at 4 billion and unit costs at 80 million.

I am taking no questions at this time.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

atelier morgan posted:

im sure they 'found' enough to confirm it was a spy satellite full of evil intent

the whole point is to make sure no evidence remains

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

:patriot:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

the whole point is to make sure no evidence remains

i wouldn't be surprised if it was to punch a ticket for whatever silver spoon rear end in a top hat f-22 driver flew the mission so he can get a star in a decade

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

atelier morgan posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if it was to punch a ticket for whatever silver spoon rear end in a top hat f-22 driver flew the mission so he can get a star in a decade

He's gonna run for Congress as a Democrat

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lead pipe lock of the century.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sometimes it's fun having depression but today is not one of those days for me

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i started reading wrong turn: america's deadly embrace of counterinsurgency a couple days ago. not super far into yet. has anyone else read this tome? thoughts? ff do u know col. gian gentile?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was proud to fire an AIM-9 Sidewinder at a Chinese aircraft.

But there’s one place an AIM-9 Sidewinder shouldn’t be: American schools

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Best Friends posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Best Friends posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Best Friends posted:

lmao