Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Albinator posted:

I remember those. Poor memorial for helping create a unified Italian state IMO
Better than what the other Italian nationalists got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Waiting for a bus that turned up 30 minutes late today I was listening to Panopticon's Kentucky album. It's a black metal album about Eastern Kentucky where Austin Lunn grew up. Anyway, he throws in 2 really great bluegrass union numbers, Come All Ye Coal Miners and Which Side Are You On? And they sandwich his own composition about the coal mining industry, Black Soot and Red Blood, which is very much black metal. It works extremely well.

Just giving that a listen - thanks for the intro!
As any fule kno, I am a bit of a black / death metal fan but I also like stuff like Dropkick Murphys and Ghoultown and some other similar whose names escape me right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Killswitch Engage?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Choco leibnitz (or the Home Bargains knock offs) are great esp the orange flavour ones. I like nibbling the chocolate from round the biscuit edges. I used to do that with orange Club biscuits too but the chocolate coating is too thin these days to get a good nibble.

Does anyone remember 'Flies Graveyard' biscuits? I think their official name was garibaldis. Biscuits with currants in.

Grave of the Fireflies biscuit merch

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s in the FT’s casual blog, Alphaville: they comment on the markets usually and are allowed to write a lot less formally than the rest of the paper. It’s actually quite funny, and I think they get some sort of understatement prize for “Right wing views are hugely underrepresented in the UK’s media, apparently” (in response to Truss whingeing that everyone wanted tax rises).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

No it wasn't them. Frantically going through my youtube history & likes to see if I can find them.

Yelawolf is one.

Must make a new playlist to add things to!

Ed: Just found I already had a playlist but it's so far down my list of playlists I'd forgotten about it :)

Rumjacks

Gangstagrass

(Sorry I'm listening to the playlist - shall stop now!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 7, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry you said dropkick murphys and it's one of the first times somebody in this thread has said a band i had heard of lol.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

Why is this guy farting on a stoat?

I assume that's just something that people did back then.

That's treason Johnny.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry you said dropkick murphys and it's one of the first times somebody in this thread has said a band i had heard of lol.

You don't remember the time we all lauded the Sugababes?

I need to put new music on my phone, I don't even have the best Godspeed You! Black Emperor album on there. And I need to put Your Queen Is a Reptile by Sons of Kemet back on because it's the coolest jazz record I've heard since I dunno, Mahavishnu Orchestra?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I do. It was because Corbyn refused to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJDGcxAf9D8

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I need to put new music on my phone, I don't even have the best Godspeed You! Black Emperor album on there. And I need to put Your Queen Is a Reptile by Sons of Kemet back on because it's the coolest jazz record I've heard since I dunno, Mahavishnu Orchestra?

You gotta help me here: on the Panopticon "Black soot & red blood" track - it sounds SO much like something else I can't put a name to (age-related defects)! Maybe you know? (The vocals, the general melody underlying it)

Ed related to my earlier post: how could I have forgotten Leadbelly! 1940ish. He did for example Gallows Pole - one of the old songs Led Zeppelin arguably 'ripped off' or 'adapted' depending on your point of view. (But Leadbelly also adapted it from an old folk song).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 7, 2023

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Endjinneer posted:

That would be the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy department then? I wonder how he'll split it.

My wife works for the BBB (which falls under BEIS ownership) and apparently a load of their Executive Committee resigned today. Wonder if it’s connected.. She’s worrying now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Better things aren't possible, so they're rebranding to the Realistic Business Bureau.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
a good thread title, well done guava

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Been getting fisking mixed up with filking for like 25 years.

The perils of reading Salon in the 90s. :negative:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

Been getting fisking mixed up with filking for like 25 years.

The perils of reading Salon in the 90s. :negative:

Argh - filking - argh - the pain in my ears from hearing the massed choirs of filking fandom at conventions.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yeah, horrible. I would count The Saga Begins as the only worthwhile filk, myself, and that's pushing it, in both directions. Otherwise it's an artform that is shot through with its own lameness like a little stick of Blackpool rock. But it's harmless enough, just bring earplugs. Keeps them occupied.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

She fisk on my trussay til I *extremely loud and incorrect buzzer noise* sh.. she truss on my fisk 'til *extremely loud and incorrect buzzer noise* she

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

Shabaka Hutchings rules, you should also check out his other project The Comet is Coming

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Argh - filking - argh - the pain in my ears from hearing the massed choirs of filking fandom at conventions.

I like filk :(. Ever since hearing some space shanties on YouTube.

But then I’ve never been to a convention so I’ve always been able to turn it off when it gets boring or samey.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

No money for anything but war

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1622725536635035651?s=46&t=sTB2Jogqvm3-qV5IVPo6tg

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s all kicking off with Pink Floyd

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

If a few years ago you suggested that trans people would end up being the cause of full British dissolution I'd have called you crazy.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when folks mention liz was blaming the leftwing economic establishment for the implosion of her economic policy, i didn't realize she specifically called out the imf. absolutely delusional, and entertaining enough that i hope she gets another bite at the apple

Mixed in somewhere in the mess of what she's saying is a grain of truth: there -is- a tension within the conservative circles between the grifters who want to keep siphoning off the remains of the cream on the UK economy into their offshore accounts, and the disaster capitalist vultures who want to burn everything down so they can set themselves up as God-Emperor in the Mad Max libertopia that would follow.

But earnest use of the phrase "left wing economic establishment" is the sign of someone who was dropped on their head too often as a child, not someone who would be a credible leader of any functional nation-state.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was a cool and lonely breezy afternoon
You could feel it 'cause the market was a ruin
So I left my gate and went out for a walk
As I pass the IMF, I heard them say

Fisk the Trussay 'pon the left hand side
Fisk the Trussay 'pon the left hand side

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Shabaka Hutchings rules, you should also check out his other project The Comet is Coming

I will, thank you!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good thread on the Nazi TERF rally in Glasgow:

https://twitter.com/euanyours/status/1622342116629250048?s=46&t=BYlCd50uRB_AblBVywyZ4w

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

Waiting for a bus that turned up 30 minutes late today I was listening to Panopticon's Kentucky album. It's a black metal album about Eastern Kentucky where Austin Lunn grew up. Anyway, he throws in 2 really great bluegrass union numbers, Come All Ye Coal Miners and Which Side Are You On? And they sandwich his own composition about the coal mining industry, Black Soot and Red Blood, which is very much black metal. It works extremely well.

It's a fantastic album

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LOL at Andy Ngo being allowed into the country

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
when your are good at flag

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Hope you are ready to be pounded by the digital £

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1622725533241864192?s=20

Pretty sure we can do that with actual money already :confused:

quote:

Assuming the go-ahead is given, the earliest date cash could be held in digital wallets offered to consumers by the private sector through smartphones or smartcards would be the end of the 2020s, the Bank and the Treasury say.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't wait to never use britcoin and then be really smug when everyone who does loses their life savings because a cleaner unplugged some servers

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I will not be using Britcoin, it simply will not happen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are we going take the coins of other countries and call it our own?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Anticipating the big Britcoin hack where everyone's wallets get cleared out by North Korean/Russian/Chinese state security.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1622683379584929792

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sinky posted:

Hope you are ready to be pounded by the digital £

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1622725533241864192?s=20

Pretty sure we can do that with actual money already :confused:

BritCoin? More like ShitCoin if you know what I mean

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

when your are good at flag

That's not counter-protestors having grabbed it and displayed it upside down in victory, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It could be, but I don't think anyone cares about Wangs Over Scotland enough to do that.

More likely they forgot what way is up in actual Scotland, being more used to Dorset.