Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

But I want specifics!!!!!!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It was the Templars! It's always the Templars!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The guy who ordered the original None Pizza with Left Beef was also responsible for Steve, Don't Eat It, whose article about huitlacoche made me throw up in my mouth at work back in the day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the bourne identity movie with matt damon is not an adaptation of the bourne books at all, its a remake of the long kiss goodnight

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Carthag Tuek posted:

the bourne identity movie with matt damon is not an adaptation of the bourne books at all, its a remake of the long kiss goodnight

The first one is an adaptation of the first few chapters of the first book.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The classic country song "Wolverton Mountain" is about an actual guy called Clifton Clowers who lived on Woolverton Mountain (they changed the spelling in the song) with his family. He was the songwriter's uncle and the song was written as a family joke which went on to become a hit. Clifton was an educated guy who spoke a few classical languages, played multiple musical instruments and was a deacon in his local church but the song makes him out to be a crazy bloodthirsty mountain recluse. :v:

The song is about someone who has fallen in love with Clifton Clowers' daughter and it never mentions her name and mostly talks about Clifton (which always struck me as a bit weird) but in real life he actually had two daughters, Burlene and Virginia.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oof, "Burlene"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Burlene, I'm beggin' you don't take away my man.

My man: yeah, you don't really have to worry about that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I guess that might be why the song never named her. :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brawnfire posted:

Oof, "Burlene"

Jolene, I'd heard of.

Lurlene, I thought was a joke name the Simpsons came up with and was shocked to find out it's real.

Burlene? Now, that's just cruel.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Combining my two greatest loves, Jolene and this sack I found.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

+

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Queen B now refers to Beyonce Knowles, not Mel B. (The thing I realized, of course,is that I'm old.)

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Lil' Kim is the real Queen B

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mlnhd posted:

Lil' Kim is the real Queen B

What matters is that Trina is the Baddest B

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We have a collective noun for every kind of relative except aunts and uncles. "I am going to visit my parents/grandparents/children/cousins" but then you are just stuck saying "I'm visiting my aunt and Uncle" or just omitting one of them from the sentence.

E: also nieces and nephews

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Jolene, I'd heard of.

Lurlene, I thought was a joke name the Simpsons came up with and was shocked to find out it's real.

Burlene? Now, that's just cruel.

There’s an old musical artist that was named Ima Hogg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

veni veni veni posted:

We have a collective noun for every kind of relative except aunts and uncles. "I am going to visit my parents/grandparents/children/cousins" but then you are just stuck saying "I'm visiting my aunt and Uncle" or just omitting one of them from the sentence.

E: also nieces and nephews

Folks created the word "niblings" to cover the latter, it sounds kinda dumb but I guess it gets the job done.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dutch doesn't have a word for siblings, which is annoying.

In my line of work they seem to have settled on 'brusjes' (a portmanteau of 'broertjes' and 'zusjes' meaning brothers and sisters with a diminutive) which works but took me a second when I came across it.

Also Dutch doesn't differentiate between nieces/nephews and cousins, which led to a hilarious misunderstanding when I befriended some English kids on holiday when I was like 16 and my sister talked about her cousing (saying niece) and they thought I was a teen dad lol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Taeke posted:

Dutch doesn't have a word for siblings, which is annoying.

In my line of work they seem to have settled on 'brusjes' (a portmanteau of 'broertjes' and 'zusjes' meaning brothers and sisters with a diminutive) which works but took me a second when I came across it.

Also Dutch doesn't differentiate between nieces/nephews and cousins, which led to a hilarious misunderstanding when I befriended some English kids on holiday when I was like 16 and my sister talked about her cousing (saying niece) and they thought I was a teen dad lol.

Tupu, Hupu, and Lupu were Aku's "brother'sboys" for decades until they changed it to "relativeboys" because it would not do to just start calling them "sister'sboys" all of a sudden but because of the Internet people kept writing in and bitching about it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I was going to say that nibling isn't great for adult nieces and nephews since "-ling" is a diminutive suffix.

But then I realized that people use sibling all the time for adults. And it's most likely where the idea for nibling came from.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Give it time, "nibling" will sound perfectly ordinary after enough exposure. That's just how language works.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
My sister's kid is nonbinary so I'll say nibling and anyone who complains that it sounds dumb can literally gently caress off because im not talking about them

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
It took me a while to start using nibling because it sounds so silly but it's a very useful word for efficiency and inclusivity.

How about grandsiblings for your parents' siblings?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Rellies/relos works okay as a catch all term.

"Off to visit the rellies" etc.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Chicken rellies if you're Utican

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Shampoo and conditioner aren't two different variants of the same thing. They both lead to wet hair so I never gave it thought.

I hair hair long enough to wipe my rear end with.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Dip Viscous posted:

Have you found it to be more or less effective than when the hair was washed with conditioner?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dip Viscous posted:

Shampoo and conditioner aren't two different variants of the same thing. They both lead to wet hair so I never gave it thought.

You have butt-length hair and you have only now realised that shampoo and conditioner aren't the same thing?
Are you a being composed entirely of split ends?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

Have you found it to be more or less effective than when the hair was washed with conditioner?

Please, I wipe with the shower curtain like a normal person.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dip Viscous posted:

They both lead to wet hair

Wait, are you putting them on dry before rinsing your hair? Because if so there's a second thing you are figuring out today

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

Wait, are you putting them on dry before rinsing your hair? Because if so there's a second thing you are figuring out today

It says "for extremely dry hair" right on the bottle!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They sell dry conditioner you can apply to hair that is not wet but I don't think the physics are there for them to do much.

Had to be exact trying to Google that because dry hair and dry hair are two different things.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
There is actually a burgeoning trend of people doing what they call conwashing, only using conditioner and skipping the shampoo

I tried it and it was great for about two or three months, but it got to the point where there was just too much natural (but clean) oil, so I said gently caress it and stripped it all out with some good ol' fashioned sulfates

Thinking about trying out dry shampoo for a while, dunno

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

postmodifier posted:

There is actually a burgeoning trend of people doing what they call conwashing, only using conditioner and skipping the shampoo

I tried it and it was great for about two or three months, but it got to the point where there was just too much natural (but clean) oil, so I said gently caress it and stripped it all out with some good ol' fashioned sulfates

Thinking about trying out dry shampoo for a while, dunno

Use a clarifying shampoo once a month if you're just using conditioner

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just use shampoo you loving hobgoblins.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just use shampoo you loving hobgoblins.

A detergent doesn't do anything except bind to oils and water to pull them off your skin/hair. If you have enough oil and dirt building up in your hair that you need to chemically remove them daily you should probably move out of the long john silvers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

A detergent doesn't do anything except bind to oils and water to pull them off your skin/hair. If you have enough oil and dirt building up in your hair that you need to chemically remove them daily you should probably move out of the long john silvers

The tar helps with dandruff.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The shorter your hair is, the more often you need to shampoo it. Your sebaceous glands produce the same amount of oil no matter how long your hair is, and that oil coats your hair. The more hair you have, the longer it takes for the oil to build up and coat all of it. There's also obviously some variation based on genetics or whatever.

I have very short hair and I shampoo every single day or else my hair gets oily and clumpy.

And if you have long hair, you have the opposite problem of not enough oil, which is what conditioner is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Manager Hoyden posted:

Just wash your hair, and rear end too, since apparently that's not common sense. You are not the one person on the planet whose sweat, oil, and buildup of bacteria and dead skin cells doesn't stink. You are not the one person whose body doesn't produce this buildup and thus doesn't require a chemical to remove it.

Also dry shampoo doesn't clean your hair, it's meant as a very temporary means of soaking up excess oil and just adds to the buildup if you don't wash it. Can also lead to scalp infections. Often looks like clumpy dandruff after a few hours.