Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Arc Hammer posted:

I realized that I have had Game Pass for a while just to play Halo Infinite's campaign (lol) and I haven't used it for anything else since ce beating Gears 5 last year. Are there any good shooters on there right now worth checking out? Preferably a good campaign FPS.

There's also Serious Sam 1-5 if you want to really turn off your brain and shoot hundreds of enemies in brightly lit arenas.
Surely some of them are on GamePass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hifi Rush is really fun, glad I got an Xbox

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Arc Hammer posted:

Doom 3 has a lovely shotgun and I already own the 2016 and Eternal. Are there any of the slew of retro FPS games on game pass right now?

Doom 1/2/64 & Quake.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gunfire reborn is pretty sweet imo

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
If you go for Serious Sam get Siberian Mayhem.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

prom candy posted:

I started playing it yesterday through cloud streaming on my Steam Deck, and I was honestly surprised at how well it performed. I noticed very little input lag and it hasn't affected my enjoyment of it so far. Plus, the game is just really fun and I love the animation and style.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Kins posted:

Someone on Reddit prepared a convenient, categorized list of links to everything getting delisted that I am going to plagiarize and convert to BBcode... right now. These are the back-compat games that aren't on the modern Xbox Store and as such will not be purchasable after Feb 7:

Blood of the Werewolf
Counter-Strike: GO
DAYTONA USA
Defense Grid
Iron Brigade
Jeremy McGrath's Offroad
Jet Set Radio
Left 4 Dead (Also playable with disc)
Left 4 Dead 2 (Also playable with disc)
Mutant Blobs Attack
Prince of Persia (2008) (Also playable with disc)
R.U.S.E. (Also playable with disc)
Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.
Skate 2 (Also playable with disc)
Spelunky
The Orange Box (Also playable with disc)

Eets: Chowdown is not backwards-compatible, but will also get delisted.

Everything else on that list is either on the modern Xbox store, or has a remaster or native Xbone version so it's not as big of an issue.

Today or tomorrow last day for these.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ryoga posted:

Elden ring works fine as long as you are playing in offline mode.

What the gently caress thread do you think this is?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
If you play Elden ring in offline mode then you miss out on thousands upon thousands of the exact same finger but whole joke repeated at every turn

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My first (and only) playthrough of Elden Ring was in offline mode because I didn’t want to sully Miyazaki’s immaculate vision and immersive world with a thousand marks on the ground and player ghosts fat rolling off every cliff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also there are a few developer messages with added lore and I didn’t want to miss them. :shobon:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

My first (and only) playthrough of Elden Ring was in offline mode

lot to unpack here

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm running a max arcane build and collecting one of every single item in the game and then sitting down and reading through the item descriptions for the enhanced lore. :11tea:

There's a ton of weapons in the game that are only dropped by the mobs that use them.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Does anyone use co-pilot mode with their partner or kid? Does it work okay?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only turned online on when I wanted to invade people because I never summoned so I was never invadable anyway. I didn't miss anything the erdflower remedy poo poo should have been a toggle instead of making me use it again every single death

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Douche4Sale posted:

Your "home" console can load anything you own or on game pass without requiring you to login. Other consoles require your account to be logged in.

So you play via your non home system and someone else plays on the home system and you both play at the same time. You can even have yourself just signed in on the background of the non home system and the active account can play your things too.

Ok So I set this up and it mostly worked except all the games me and my wife were playing were on the same account. Meaning all the save-games were on the same account. So now we have to make a new account to be able to both play, and one of us is going to have to start over since Microsoft doesn't let you move save games between accounts. Unless someone knows some kind of work around to this?

Also since I'm new to the world of Series X - if a game is available for both Xbox One and Xbox Series X, is there any difference between the two? NHL23 for Series X is still full price ($70 lol) but for Xbox One it's down to like $25. Did they actually make two versions of the software or is it the same software being sold at a higher price to people who don't know any better?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also since I'm new to the world of Series X - if a game is available for both Xbox One and Xbox Series X, is there any difference between the two? NHL23 for Series X is still full price ($70 lol) but for Xbox One it's down to like $25. Did they actually make two versions of the software or is it the same software being sold at a higher price to people who don't know any better?

When a game uses Smart Delivery, you just get auto-upgraded to the Series version where applicable, however with a lot of other titles, especially sports titles, they aren't Smart Delivery and buying the cheaper "Xbox One" version doesn't give you the Series version as well, and sometimes the XB1 version gets discounted in a way the Series version doesn't (usually the XB1 version has a $60 MSRP and the Series version has a $70 MSRP). The Xbox One version will be fully playable on Series, but won't have boosted graphics/load times. In the case of the sports titles, usually the bigger fancy bundles (that have a normal SRP of like $90 or $100+) include both the XB1 and Series versions, and these do occasionally get discounted as well, which is nice if you still have an Xbox One so you can play the game in question there too. But if you just have a Series, you can just buy the Series version and you're good.

And yeah you're SOL for the saves, they've always been "each user should have their own account with their own saves" and offer no way to correct mistakes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I noticed Mass Effect Andromeda on Game Pass. Never played it because everyone said it was a disaster but I decided to look at the trailer and it's just a trailer for EA Access. lmfao

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

1glitch0 posted:

I noticed Mass Effect Andromeda on Game Pass. Never played it because everyone said it was a disaster but I decided to look at the trailer and it's just a trailer for EA Access. lmfao

It's been patched enough to where it's less of a disaster now, and just plain ol boring. I had a somewhat decent time with it during the 10-ish hours I played, but again I just got extremely bored by that point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The saddest thing about Andromeda is that it is very fun in the very few enclosed Mass Effect 2/3 style sections, and very poor in the open world sections. If they had just stayed in lane it would have been fine.

Oh and gently caress crafting.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's only so much patching can do in a case like Andromeda. Like yeah it's playable now and the animations have improved somewhat, but the game is still boring dogshit with mostly lovely characters, in a setting half as interesting as the galaxy in ME 1-3. And it could have been much more interesting! A whole new galaxy, holy poo poo! But apparently they only had the budget to populate it with Darkspawn and some N'avi with the serial numbers filed off. Hey, remember all the stuff you liked about the setting in our original trilogy? Well it's all gone, have a bunch of desolate garbage instead!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Alchenar posted:

The saddest thing about Andromeda is that it is very fun in the very few enclosed Mass Effect 2/3 style sections, and very poor in the open world sections. If they had just stayed in lane it would have been fine.

Yeah the combat and movement felt pretty awesome, mechanically. The shooting felt like an even more polished ME3 and the jump jet things were pretty cool. Gun crafting was far too complicated, but you could make some cool stuff.

Making it open world really did the game a huge disservice. It was never gonna be ME2 but the companions were engaging enough that I think it would have been an acceptable entry in the series had it had way less Ubisoft style padding.

Edit: also if they didn't royally hosed up the multiplayer with horrendous net code and wack-rear end balancing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a first contact war game would have been way more interesting but there would be no room for classic bioware writing in that

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

a first contact war game would have been way more interesting but there would be no room for classic bioware writing in that

They'd all be Ashley.

I'd play it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I rolled credits on Operation Catalyst in CrossfireX earlier this afternoon. I liked it. For IGN to have given it a 3/10, they must have either played a heavily unpatched version of the game or were smoking some potent poo poo, because this was at least a 7/10 experience on its worst day. I've played 3/10 games and shooters, and this is not one of them. It looks nice, the story is serviceable with some Remedy-rear end Remedy stuff going on, and the gameplay is solid, albeit linear, military-shooter fare with some optional collectables to pick up along the way. Took me about 4 hours or so while taking my time to explore the environment.

I would recommend giving it a shot while it is on Game Pass for the next week or so before it completely vanishes from the universe. Sucks I can't play the second part of the campaign, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

But that review is by the guy that gave Hogwarts Legacy a 9 out of 10...?!

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Same review score as ign gave God Hand, maybe they scored it too high.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

When a game uses Smart Delivery, you just get auto-upgraded to the Series version where applicable, however with a lot of other titles, especially sports titles, they aren't Smart Delivery and buying the cheaper "Xbox One" version doesn't give you the Series version as well, and sometimes the XB1 version gets discounted in a way the Series version doesn't (usually the XB1 version has a $60 MSRP and the Series version has a $70 MSRP). The Xbox One version will be fully playable on Series, but won't have boosted graphics/load times. In the case of the sports titles, usually the bigger fancy bundles (that have a normal SRP of like $90 or $100+) include both the XB1 and Series versions, and these do occasionally get discounted as well, which is nice if you still have an Xbox One so you can play the game in question there too. But if you just have a Series, you can just buy the Series version and you're good.

And yeah you're SOL for the saves, they've always been "each user should have their own account with their own saves" and offer no way to correct mistakes.

Its not smart delivery its smart digiorno

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

Its not smart delivery its smart digiorno

This is amazing, thank you.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Are we not talking about hogwarts legacy?

If not: wow gently caress this poo poo

If so: this games pretty drat good and looks good and I’m doing witch stuff and that’s pretty neat

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Stelio Kontos posted:

If so: this games pretty drat good and looks good and I’m doing witch stuff and that’s pretty neat

Games pretty good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

Professor Beetus posted:

There's only so much patching can do in a case like Andromeda. Like yeah it's playable now and the animations have improved somewhat, but the game is still boring dogshit with mostly lovely characters, in a setting half as interesting as the galaxy in ME 1-3. And it could have been much more interesting! A whole new galaxy, holy poo poo! But apparently they only had the budget to populate it with Darkspawn and some N'avi with the serial numbers filed off. Hey, remember all the stuff you liked about the setting in our original trilogy? Well it's all gone, have a bunch of desolate garbage instead!

Oh I have nothing kind to say about Andromeda's writing either. Let's do a game about being the first people to explore an uncharted galaxy.

Except you arrive in the second wave.

And are never the first person to get anywhere, despite being A The Pathfinder. Especially first-contact with an alien race. Whoops, they've been talking to the expedition for months and aren't too happy with you! Go make nice with fetch quests!

And literally everyone else is too dumb to survive on their own despite being part of an organized expedition.

And anything remotely interesting is discarded the moment its immediate relevance to the plot is done rather than build on it. Big intact alien ship? The terraforming systems? Those work, we've got scientists who'd sell their children for a look at how they work, are we gonna look into these at all?... No?...

I'd also like to point out that big bubble helmets on the cover only exist for them to break in the prologue because the old-style ones (that're still prevalanet through the game) are far, far, more durable and well-made (see; Mass Effect 2's opening)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh I have nothing kind to say about Andromeda's writing either. Let's do a game about being the first people to explore an uncharted galaxy.

Except you arrive in the second wave.

And are never the first person to get anywhere, despite being A The Pathfinder. Especially first-contact with an alien race. Whoops, they've been talking to the expedition for months and aren't too happy with you! Go make nice with fetch quests!

And literally everyone else is too dumb to survive on their own despite being part of an organized expedition.

And anything remotely interesting is discarded the moment its immediate relevance to the plot is done rather than build on it. Big intact alien ship? The terraforming systems? Those work, we've got scientists who'd sell their children for a look at how they work, are we gonna look into these at all?... No?...

I'd also like to point out that big bubble helmets on the cover only exist for them to break in the prologue because the old-style ones (that're still prevalanet through the game) are far, far, more durable and well-made (see; Mass Effect 2's opening)

The bad guys are literally the Reapers except they are people.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Stelio Kontos posted:

I’m not sure about Hogwarts Legacy, but I had a lot of fun reading the thread where American McGay got banned

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

prom candy posted:

Yeah, I thought it was just alright at first but a switch flipped and now I love it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Illusive Man posted:

I’m not sure about Hogwarts Legacy, but I had a lot of fun reading the thread where American McGay got banned

Finally something didn’t work on his machine, rip

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stelio Kontos posted:

gently caress JK Rowling and gently caress anyone who's still giving her money to play Dark Souls For Mormons

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not interested in Hogwarts or anything related to Harry Potter but whenever I don't want to give a certain publisher/dev money (normally activision) I just get a 2nd hand copy. Still playing something coming from Rowling and needs a disc drive but hey...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm not playing it because I'm a grown man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the game looks like rear end!!,