Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

McNally posted:

Same issue, but they weren't involved with the Maquis.

Right. I don’t remember much of really late TNG, mostly because it seemed like they were running on fumes at that point.

Warp drives causing Space Global Warming and the solution being to institute a galaxy wide 55 mph speed limit sticks out in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kazinsal posted:

Right. I don’t remember much of really late TNG, mostly because it seemed like they were running on fumes at that point.

Warp drives causing Space Global Warming and the solution being to institute a galaxy wide 55 mph speed limit sticks out in my mind.

I think it was something to the effect of, "if you travel too fast, you might accidentally time travel. So we now have a speed limit!"

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Klingon lawyer, please proceed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ASAPI posted:

I think it was something to the effect of, "if you travel too fast, you might accidentally time travel. So we now have a speed limit!"

It was "warp drive is tearing apart the fabric of space-time in a specific region, please observe a speed limit until we can figure poo poo out"

And then they never mentioned it again aside from an occasional "we've gotten the OK to break the speed limit for this mission" reference when a writer remembered it was a thing, but by then it was TNG season 7 so who cares.

There's some fluff in promotional materials about Voyager's moving pylons as being a part of some solution but it's never really mentioned again.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

McNally posted:

It was "warp drive is tearing apart the fabric of space-time in a specific region, please observe a speed limit until we can figure poo poo out"

And then they never mentioned it again aside from an occasional "we've gotten the OK to break the speed limit for this mission" reference when a writer remembered it was a thing, but by then it was TNG season 7 so who cares.

There's some fluff in promotional materials about Voyager's moving pylons as being a part of some solution but it's never really mentioned again.

Ah, it's been forever since I've watched pretty much anything Trek. Apparently even my memories of the show are fading away.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ASAPI posted:

Ah, it's been forever since I've watched pretty much anything Trek. Apparently even my memories of the show are fading away.

I wish I could say the same.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

McNally posted:

That's the thing, though. The Maquis don't have defensible reasons.

"Hi! We're going to settle these planets in a disputed zone! Thank you for fighting a war in defense of our territorial claims! Wait, what, some of these planets were ceded to Cardassia in the peace treaty? We demand you go to war over those planets! What do you mean no?! My family has lived on this planet for part of an entire generation! This is our ancestral home! We don't WANT you to move us to a new planet and set us up there! gently caress you, we're breaking off and are going to attack the Cardassians until we get what we want!"

That’s fair, you could see where they were going with the concept as they wanted a reason for some of Voyager’s crew to be in tension with Starfleet far from home, but felt like they abandoned the idea fast and the former rebels were happy to wear the uniform. And it didn’t make a ton of sense why grumpy colonists would attract high level federation defectors or why the Federation was afraid of starting a war with the Cardassians who were simultaneously a threat to the federation but too weak to deal with rebels.

It might have made more sense if the federation had conceded a home planet like Betazed so you’d understand why the population wouldn’t have accepted resettlement and why defectors would help their plight, but for a colony that hadn’t been settled long their motivations were weird. At least it made sense when the Dominion wrecked them instantly. And For the Uniform was fun when Sisko gets sick of Eddington and starts war criming his planets.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

ASAPI posted:

I frequently have a show or podcast playing while I'm playing video games.

For awhile, I would alternate between 30 Rock and DS9 on Netflix. So I ended up watching all of DS9 roughly two or three times a year.

(Also Frasier)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

Same issue, but they weren't involved with the Maquis.

Yea, it's not the maquis but you can see it as like, a proto-maquis. Another reason I hate the maquis is because it's clearly trying to draw parallels to native's being genocided and their homes destroyed but it's just because eddington is a foodie hipster shithead.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Action-Bastard posted:

I frequently have a show or podcast playing while I'm playing video games.

For awhile, I would alternate between 30 Rock and DS9 on Netflix. So I ended up watching all of DS9 roughly two or three times a year.

(Also Frasier)

Frasier is the prime watching-while-doing-something-else show

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not for nothing, but I’m lol’ing that there’s actual big news events today and the CE thread seems to be thoroughly active… Rehashing Star Wars Wiki fandom stuff.

I’m proud to call you guys my fellow gippers. You never disappoint, at least not in the ways you are expected to.

<3

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Rehashing Star Wars Wiki fandom stuff.

:nsamad:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

oh no, AI did a transphobe again

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1622669190497964032

#1 thing driving all of my thinking with all of this poo poo is that venture capital bros just took every mention of "crypto", replaced with with "AI", and we're back in the same dumb cycle again. We're even back to the Microsoft AI chatbot Tay proving it had the reich stuff at the slightest prompting.

It's dumb poo poo and it's alarming how many people are utterly enamored with it

Bored As gently caress posted:

That poo poo in Turkey is loving horrible. Earthquakes are so scary.

Yeah, much as I dislike the turkish government the people seem fine and this poo poo is terrible

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's dumb poo poo and it's alarming how many people are utterly enamored with it

In my experience, the people who are enamored with hyperspecific cult-y AI stuff are also people who are totally down with transphobic rants, so they probably see this as a win

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

An earthquake of that magnitude in California or Japan would have had few, if any, casualties. But when a society has the level of systemic corruption of Turkey, you get the current disaster.

If there's one good thing that might come out of it, it's that it might just piss off the Turks enough to get rid of Ergodan.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well, Japan. Not so sure about California anymore

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I liked the AI Seinfeld thing because it was generally inoffensive (heh) and made nice background noise. It was funny in the same way that Markov chain bots were funny decades ago, because sometimes it spits out things that clearly aren't correct, but sometimes take you a few moments to notice. Or the AI version of reading the cue cards aloud. "Quietly walks off stage to cheers. Crowd applauds."

That said, let me find my surprised face that the AI finally shat out something bad :geno:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

psydude posted:

An earthquake of that magnitude in California or Japan would have had few, if any, casualties. But when a society has the level of systemic corruption of Turkey, you get the current disaster.

It doesn’t help that the quake happened near the border with Syria, which is historically quite Kurdish and surprise! Has been historically neglected for decades in terms of infrastructure investments.

quote:

If there's one good thing that might come out of it, it's that it might just piss off the Turks enough to get rid of Ergodan.

That Turkish F-16 pilot had the chance back in 2016 but for some reason chickened out.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
AI Seinfeld getting cancelled just even further fits with Jerry Seinfeld

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm reading AI Seinfeld as Al Seinfeld and I think you all should, too.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Not to discount all the social issues, but from my understanding different fault zones can respond pretty differently to the same magnitude of quakes and you can't directly compare them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
east palestine, OH status: boom

https://twitter.com/21NewsEP/status/1622721555821207554

https://twitter.com/EricWFMJ/status/1622714463957778439

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

psydude posted:

a 7.8 with a 7.6 follow up would have wrecked stuff in cali too. Not the same scale but quakes at 7+ break poo poo.

A 6.9 broke a bridge and killed people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma_Prieta_earthquake

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Nice airborne toxic event they have there.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
CSB reenactment vid when

dunno if they'll actually do one given that they usually cover failures of process controls, not so much "oh gently caress a train derailed" events. they did have one recently related to an accident triggered by torrential flooding though

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It started sometime around midnight.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

oh it's getting worse

https://twitter.com/4cast4you/status/1622716831323619375

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm glad that in 2023 we've achieved a level of technology to have SimCity 2000 pollution overlays on maps

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

VSOKUL girl posted:

CSB reenactment vid when

dunno if they'll actually do one given that they usually cover failures of process controls, not so much "oh gently caress a train derailed" events. they did have one recently related to an accident triggered by torrential flooding though

This is going to be an NTSB investigation, so no Unreal video, sadly.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

This is going to be an NTSB investigation, so no Unreal video, sadly.

Aw man

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Are people in Michigan cheering on the fire?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cheering? Who do you think is responsible for this

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Sisko gets sick of Eddington and starts war criming his planets.

The war crime that Sisko did was making a planet uninhabitable to humans but still habitable to Cardassians AFTER the Marquis did same thing first. It's less a war crime than enforcing a peace treaty by exchanging two planets near-permanently. No more fighting over those planet if you can no longer live there.

It's become a hot take to declare that Sisko should be hanged at the Hague. When really he just acted close to but within the limit of acceptability rather then the usual Trek standard of being perfectly acceptable.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

His later False Flag attack against the Romulans really cemented his status as Captain Flexible Morals.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Is it a war crime if you’re not a soldier?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's a crime against humanity still. But then again, maybe the humanity deserved it to stop criming against aliens. This is the best of Star Trek, many people are saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
No one died from Sisko's actions against the Marqui It was just an iron clad eviction notice.

Anyways I'm not going to spend a lot of time hashing out the details of an old 90's TV show I just wanted to correct a common misconception.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 7, 2023