Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My wife has been telling me that I've started breathing heavily through my nose a lot, and I also tend to stab my food a lot when eating. I'm unconsciously turning into Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

My wife has been telling me that I've started breathing heavily through my nose a lot, and I also tend to stab my food a lot when eating. I'm unconsciously turning into Tony.

I realized much later that's what led to me drinking with pinky out like Tony does.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I realized much later that's what led to me drinking with pinky out like Tony does.

Holy poo poo, I have started doing this too, and it must be because of my rewatch I’m doing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I do the Paulie Point without even thinking about it now

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFhRfNnPpck

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i dress like Livia every day now

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

crispix posted:

i dress like Livia every day now

Don't you go wavin' your hankie at me!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i don't like that kind of post!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's with goons using all that water? It's like I'm posting next to Gunga Din!

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Goonga Din

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

dear god i just noticed the hand is not holding onto a handrail and it's so much worse

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

ngl that scene wigged me the gently caress out my first time watching the show and I felt real dread knowing it was coming the next time I binged it.

That’s exactly how my own nightmares often end, staring at something I can’t really see or comprehend until my psyche can’t handle it anymore.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://theoutline.com/post/5823/monumental-horror-image-the-shining-the-exorcist

there's a little bit of this in it. It's monstrously terrifying.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I can't watch this scene late at night when I'm home alone. It's really similar to how my sleep paralysis shadow people appear.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

crispix posted:

dear god i just noticed the hand is not holding onto a handrail and it's so much worse

Oh my God, I've raved about this scene for years and pushed how incredible it is put together and yet I never noticed that it was sliding its hand against the wall instead of using the handrail. gently caress. gently caress. :gonk:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Does anyone know the full joke Paulie tells that ends with the punchline "that's all right Joey, use your hat!" (overheard in Live Free or Die and Remember When)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Little Joey comes home from his first day of school crying his eyes out.

"Mom, all the kids at school say I have a big head. It's really upsetting."

The mother says, "Don't worry honey, your head isn't big at all. Now, go get me some potatoes from the corner store."

"Mom, I don't have a bag for potatoes."

"Its okay Joey, just use your hat."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The daughter of The Sopranos star John Ventimiglia, Odele, has died at the age of 25, just mere months after giving birth.

Passing away on January 12th, Odele’s cause of death has not been made public. Taking to Facebook to announce news of her funeral, mother Belinda Cape wrote: “Heartbroken to have to post our darling Odele’s funeral notice. Her sister Lucinda and I have been overwhelmed by the messages of support and love we have received, and your remembrances of how cherished Odele was to so many. Odele was greatly loved, and leaves a huge hole in our lives”.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/daughter-of-sopranos-actor-john-ventimiglia-dies/

So that loving sucks

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ah man, that’s loving heartbreaking.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, that news broke while I was in the middle of a rewatch and from that point on, every time John appeared onscreen, my heart just broke for him.

Still does.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ralph was right about one thing, Gladiator loving rules.

I keep saying the lines in his voice and laughing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that Ralph immediately went looking for other gladiator movies to recapture his enjoyment, and ends up absolutely loving furious at Kirk Douglas' hair in Spartacus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3JEW4vpvw

Edit: Also love that despite hating the film, he's still craning his head trying to see the screen when Tracey gets in the way.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
MOMMY'S LITTLE HOOAH

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
For me the single funniest line in the show was when Tony and Christopher were in Ralph's bathroom unceremoniously preparing his remains for Mafia burial and Tony told Christopher that Ralph could have had his mother's muff on his head and he would have been too high to notice

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

I don't even remember that image. It is from the sopranos? I guess sometime after Livia dies and Tony is having a dream?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

roomtone posted:

I don't even remember that image. It is from the sopranos? I guess sometime after Livia dies and Tony is having a dream?

S4E11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOvmC5uFb8g

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

old lady ghosts usually get me but for some reason that just made no impression on me. totally forgot that scene. maybe cos it's so clearly a representation of how tony feels about his mother. it's a cool image though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

roomtone posted:

old lady ghosts usually get me but for some reason that just made no impression on me. totally forgot that scene. maybe cos it's so clearly a representation of how tony feels about his mother. it's a cool image though.
same here

the only scene that actually scared me was the jump scare with the virgin mary

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

escape artist posted:

same here

the only scene that actually scared me was the jump scare with the virgin mary

three things about that scene I didn't realize at first:

1. you can see the virgin mary in the mirror as paulie walks by
2. she's moving a bit, not standing still
3. the song playing for the jumpscare is the same song that played when Chris brought a gun into the Bing

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

three things about that scene I didn't realize at first:

2. she's moving a bit, not standing still

shes straight up levitating

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

shes straight up levitating

that too! she tilts her head a bit toward him and moves her hands as well

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished my second rewatch of the show. The first time through I didn't care for it so much, because it felt too much like a soap opera. It was completely different than what I was expecting. This time, I appreciated the characters outside of the inner circles. The show is fantastic. I'll be rewatching it every other year or so. The only faults I really felt about it, is that the writing felt very different at the end of S5 and going through all of S6. I don't know how to explain it, there were just so many moments I was sitting there thinking "this is totally out of character". And then the ending. I thought it was fine. It didn't feel like a set up for anything dramatic to me. If it was an assassination, it would have immediately happened like all the others, especially for a boss. If it was an arrest, all the cars around Meadow would have been police cruisers and vans loaded with backup agents.

I still want to smack the poo poo out of AJ, tho. Just because.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Philthy posted:

Finished my second rewatch of the show. The first time through I didn't care for it so much, because it felt too much like a soap opera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L52DBDQHMEQ

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One thing I’ve never been okay with is Tony suddenly developing a serious gambling problem in 6b. It seemed like lazy writing, and it’s always seemed like they went all-out trying to ram it tru peoples’ heads that Tony is Bad.

Other than that, I don’t have a lot of problems with the stretch run. The show started to meander a bit in s5 and 6a but I think they got it back on track towards the end.

People say otherwise, fuckin’ slandah, you ask me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrMojok posted:

One thing I’ve never been okay with is Tony suddenly developing a serious gambling problem in 6b. It seemed like lazy writing, and it’s always seemed like they went all-out trying to ram it tru peoples’ heads that Tony is Bad.

It was always there - he always liked to gamble - but as Tony felt more and more put in a box he started to push harder on his vices.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Dawgstar posted:

It was always there - he always liked to gamble - but as Tony felt more and more put in a box he started to push harder on his vices.

yeah the first 2 times i watched the show i felt the gambling problem was out of the blue. but really the whole show he's been out of control excessive with food, sex, and violence. he's not a man in control of his impulses with _anything_ so when he either has to rein in one of those things the pressure valve has to release somewhere. he's been a lovely gambler the whole show and taking increasingly big risks as your situation deteriorates is not unrealistic behavior at all

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Isn't it kind of the point though? Anybody who starts gambling gets a bust out. The thing is Tony or one of his associates are the ones that are going to bust the person out. So Tony is the only one who can gamble and lose repeatedly and he has the option of paying or not. But then he gains the superpower of gambling from mescaline and murdering his heir and making mansexxor to a prostitute in Las Vegas and his gambling powers massively improve to the point that he doesn't need to gamble anymore. So unless that's what you have going for you, don't become a degenerate gambler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s not specifically pointed out but it’s when Tony is separated from Carmela in season five that he first starts letting himself go. His mother’s house is a complete mess despite having a cleaning person come several times a week. AJ mentions him coming home drunk every night while he’s staying there. Meadow catches him doing coke, and that’s what he and Adriana are on their way to pick up when they get into the accident. And there are scenes that begin with him finishing up a phone call in which he’s placing large bets himself.

When Tony and Carmela are back together at the beginning of the sixth season, he’s still trying to adjust to living with her again. He goes to the sushi place by himself a few times, has himself convinced that Carmela’s issue was that she found out about his affairs, not that they happened in the first place, etc. She’s already getting fed up with him again when there’s the one-two punch of Tony buying her the Porsche and then getting shot. After that he turned “every day is a gift” into “I’m invincible” sort of thing and allowed his worst impulses to really get out of control.