Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

This is probably an extremely pointless question but is there a cap on the coin you get from drops? I haven't remotely got all the login % increases bc I'm very casual, but wondering if there's a cap. I'm getting 1-2 silver currently, which is pretty nice, but wondering if I'll be reaching a cap soon (or hit it already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You would of liked the release of the game, the money-making method back then was stacking every gold drop % increase possible and running dungeon bosses that dropped a flat 10 silver that you'd be able to get up to around 30 and just speedrun that as fast as possible, then they ended up nerfing that by making bosses just drop a bag of coins or dungeon tokens instead.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah the cap is they realized GF% was a mistake so basically nothing drops raw gold that uses that stat, especially the deeper you go into the expansions

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I wish I could find something I truly enjoy playing in this game. I get very close with a couple but there is also a lingering desire for it to be just a bit better.

Don't like pets which cuts out a lot of Necromancer, Ranger, and the Engineering Mech. Also the Mesmer illusions even though I wouldn't call those pets, I still don't like them. Yes the Ranger has Soulbeast merges and Mesmer now has Virtuoso but devoting time to a profession for limiting myself to a single specific specialization just leaves a bad taste behind.

Warrior feels very bland and one note across the board. Bladesworn does shake things up but still feels very similar in how you actually play it. And I never geared my Warrior up enough to see those real big hits that might draw me in.

Thief doesn't interest me at all, and I'm legitimately not sure why.

Guardian I have the problem of it being my Charr character and not liking the Charr size/animations, I'm seriously considering deleting an existing character and leveling up a new one from scratch. It also has that golden child feel and I like playing more underdog classes.

Of the specs I have the most fun with:

Engineer Scrapper/Holosmith: I like for the most part but comes with two problems. One I want to have a support capability (Heals or providing boons) and doing that with the Scrapper is terrible (it's just spamming the same 5 abilities constantly with a couple of free intervals in between). Two I love a couple of the kits and hate the rest. Like the Medic bag and elixir gun are cool, but Grenades/Bombs/Mortar are annoying as all hell. Of course it's not like I have to use them so it's an easy workaround to just accept doing slightly less DPS than I could, but then I get back to problem #1.

Non-Minion Necro: Great on the Harbinger and Reaper side, but not a fan of the Scourge sand totem things. Feels a bit too much like a pet and I haven't found a comfortable keybind setup that I could work with the profession mechanic skills that doesn't screw with playing other professions (why no character specific keybinds Anet?!). Plus Scourge Healer doesn't fill the support side of the house and Ritualist gear is apparently needed to hit high quickness uptime on Harbinger and maybe LS5 will make getting that tolerable but not so much now.

Revenant: Has the Ritualist gear problem for Alacrity, the Scrapper problem of spamming the same 5 abilities over and over for Quickness. And honestly I've played this profession a lot and by this point it's really annoying having every build built around the same few utility skills. I think I'm over 200 hours played with him since I did a lot of the story on that character (including replaying a lot of it recently for Seasons achievements) and it's just getting old. Never actually tried healing with a Revenant though.

Elementalist: Every time I knuckle down to learn this class it never seems worth the effort. It feels like it should have a lot of options and varied skills but at the end of the day so many of the different attunement skills are just slight alternations from each other. When I imagine how Elementalist should be it'd be like you'd do most of your damage with Fire, swap to Air for aoe abilities, Earth for blocks or boons, and Water for heals and barriers of different types. Instead it's more like your specific action slot is always the same sort of effect but with just slight variations, so they may provide an effect like I mentioned but feel exactly the same to actually use and instead of providing variety they're all part of a standard rotation instead of being this variety toolkit for when you need something outside of a DPS rotation. Basically all effort with minimal out of rotation fun skills.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
If you hate them all except guardian you should probably just play a guardian

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tambaloneus posted:

This is probably an extremely pointless question but is there a cap on the coin you get from drops? I haven't remotely got all the login % increases bc I'm very casual, but wondering if there's a cap. I'm getting 1-2 silver currently, which is pretty nice, but wondering if I'll be reaching a cap soon (or hit it already).

I don't know, but direct gold drops gets you a teeny weeny amount of money compared with selling loot.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It definitely sounds like you'd like Guardian. Firebrand is my current happy place. My original main just kind of... fishes now.

Speaking of, and I brought this up earlier in chat, is qdps Firebrand being the squishiest of squishies a normal thing or a "solved by dumping 105g into Ritualist" thing? I was eyeballing cele, since a bit more healing and tankiness generally goes over well in fractals/solo and I've got my Viper gear (plus some Ritualist trinkets) to roll with metas/strikes where healing usually isn't a problem.

I guess the core question is if Ritualist vitality on my six armor slots will make me tanky enough over my existing Viper gear to push through T2 or if I should just save the gold and go cele until I can do proper Ritualist/Harriers ascended sets later on.

Edit: Actually, and maybe I'm missing something, is there a reason I wouldn't just grind armorsmithing to 500 (presumably needed anyway for ascended) and make the dumb Ritualist myself? The cost difference (at least on gw2efficiency) seems pretty compelling. I usually miss subtleties on these things, though. :/

Mailer fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 6, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to just spend the gold on a new character slot and make a new guardian, turn the stinky cat into the character that holds your excess loot that doesn't fit in the bank.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Early morning reset raids can get weird.

Note the treasure chest.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It’s also totally fine to only enjoy a single build of a class. The profession police aren’t going to force you to use minions on a Necro if that’s not your jam.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

The skill design makes more sense if you PvP. For example ele does exactly what you want in PvP. Randomly going into the wrong attunement and spamming skills will get you punished against the better players.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

dad on the rag posted:

The skill design makes more sense if you PvP. For example ele does exactly what you want in PvP. Randomly going into the wrong attunement and spamming skills will get you punished against the better players.

I'm in this post and I don't like it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

It definitely sounds like you'd like Guardian. Firebrand is my current happy place. My original main just kind of... fishes now.

Speaking of, and I brought this up earlier in chat, is qdps Firebrand being the squishiest of squishies a normal thing or a "solved by dumping 105g into Ritualist" thing? I was eyeballing cele, since a bit more healing and tankiness generally goes over well in fractals/solo and I've got my Viper gear (plus some Ritualist trinkets) to roll with metas/strikes where healing usually isn't a problem.

I guess the core question is if Ritualist vitality on my six armor slots will make me tanky enough over my existing Viper gear to push through T2 or if I should just save the gold and go cele until I can do proper Ritualist/Harriers ascended sets later on.

Edit: Actually, and maybe I'm missing something, is there a reason I wouldn't just grind armorsmithing to 500 (presumably needed anyway for ascended) and make the dumb Ritualist myself? The cost difference (at least on gw2efficiency) seems pretty compelling. I usually miss subtleties on these things, though. :/

Firebrand is pretty awesome. Condi-quick should work great with cele and means your heals will be significantly stronger too, so you can play a pretty good hybrid. As to whether Ritualist's will increase your survivability... I'd say in PvE in most instances your survivability is about avoiding attacks, not tanking them. If by T2 you mean fractals, I don't think regearing will help you much at all. T2 isn't much harder than T1, and shouldn't require a healer, focus on avoiding mechanics. Guardian especially has a lot of utility skills to help with that. Firebrand doesn't have the best sustain, but I wouldn't categorise them as "squishy".

If you don't hate crafting it's worth spending the time to level the various skills. It'll give you some flexibility around gearing other characters or specs, and the option to increase your profit from drops over just selling basic materials in certain instances (though factor in the opportunity cost of time spent if you do this). Getting Ritualist recipes is a little annoying - you'll need to complete the echovald wilds meta to get a single recipe from the reward chest or buy them for laurels and imperial favors. Bear in mind most ascended armor recipes cost gold and laurels to buy.

There's also the option to use the mystic forge to re-stat gear without any tradeskill, and many exotic insignia are not account bound (Ritualist's is though).

e: knew I was forgetting something - vitality scales your condition damage due to Power of the Virtuous - you take ritualist for the extra damage, not survivability.

..btt fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 6, 2023

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

Mailer posted:

The built in cost for crafting your own is timegated mats--which if you're not at 450 in some of the relevant crafting disciplines, you probably don't have a banrkroll of and will have to buy mats or wait to have them. There's also obsidian shards, which are obtained in a great many ways, but the most constant of those includes karma. Finally, having the recipes themselves can be spendy because of pricejacking, so that one you may or may not want to just convert in the forge. If you got the hoops jumped, then you're good, but there's a few for those bits of crafting.

Re: toughness: celestial is better but less damage-meta. Has healing, has toughness. Maybe not the best to drag into raids.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Anybody know how the WvW guild thing works?

I'm in both Goon Guilds but not on Mag. The WvW guild selection appears to do nothing?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Kris xK posted:

Anybody know how the WvW guild thing works?

I'm in both Goon Guilds but not on Mag. The WvW guild selection appears to do nothing?

For now, that only does anything when they do beta runs for alliances. And even that has been iffy. So you can find a guild on your server or transfer to Mag if it's open and you want to play with goons.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Flytitle posted:

Re: toughness: celestial is better but less damage-meta. Has healing, has toughness. Maybe not the best to drag into raids.

You absolutely do not want celestial gear for a dps role in raids because that toughness stat can push you over the threshold and now you're tanking the fights which is probably not what you signed up for. If you want to do condi dps, you're better off looking into vipers / sinister for pure cdps, or ritualist/viper for quickness+cdps. And honestly, the qdps will get you into more pugs and provide group utility while only taking a minor dps hit (35k vs 30k benchmark)

In OW? celestial with the appropriate build is fantastic. If your build can make full use of your abundant stats then the game becomes ridiculously easy. In my Scourge Pet build with celestial, I can solo most champs, or just AFK at boss events. It takes a lot to kill me because I'm benefiting from toughness, vit, and healing on defense, and all the offensive stats feeding my minions and shrouds doing the dirty work.

It's my understanding that celestial firebrand works the same, it takes full advantage of firebrands condi and power for offensive.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Many thanks for the responses! I actually worked out, based on a conversation in Discord, why it seemed so odd that Ritualist gear was ~105g to buy a set but ~20g to craft (which, granted, used my existing mats) - it was Research Notes, which I previously had not interacted with. Spending ~17g to level armorsmithing to 400 and 20g to craft the set sounds a lot more lucrative when it's not attached to 80g worth of notes. :v:

..btt posted:

T2 isn't much harder than T1, and shouldn't require a healer, focus on avoiding mechanics. Guardian especially has a lot of utility skills to help with that. Firebrand doesn't have the best sustain, but I wouldn't categorise them as "squishy".

Granted, my only references are what other characters seem to get away with and what my (cele booster gear) mech is able to withstand, but I certainly feel squishy. In a meta stack or a strike, where there's heals and barriers popping off constantly and you just dodge the ground templates, I'm fine. In fractals, and OW enemies who don't fall over after two seconds of all the fire, I get worn down. The damage difference vs the mech is definitely noticeable, but I'm not doing the damage I see dedicated dps people do (who just cleave straight through things) while at the same time having no survivability and that seems wrong.

(This is the build, btw, only with all Viper and three Ritualist trinkets.)

Random example since I've been running around PoF: if I'm fighting one branded patrol and another shows up, it's annoying to my mech. It's fatal to my firebrand, even if I'll probably rally from the burning. Since I've got all ascended trinkets and an ascended weapon now I got stuck at a crossroads of what exotics to go with for further OW soloing and fractals - hence the cele vs ritualist question. I can reroll my weapon and I suspect having three viper trinkets won't affect me all that much one way or the other, but the exotics that make up the rest of my gear are a variable I want to solve.

quote:

e: knew I was forgetting something - vitality scales your condition damage due to Power of the Virtuous - you take ritualist for the extra damage, not survivability.

Ah, good to know!

AmbientParadox posted:

You absolutely do not want celestial gear for a dps role in raids

Raids, for time reasons previously discussed, are likely never a thing I will participate in. If I did, then I would have 100% meta gear for whatever role and I've read enough "don't stat toughness and screw up the tanks, dumbass!" on the internet to ensure that wouldn't be a thing. I'm at the stage where it's all pug fractals (finally got the trinkets to crack t2) and OW stuff so that's really what I'm focused on.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If I got a complaint about GW2 it's that it's prohibitively expensive for new players to gear up as anything other then berserker stats and that if those new players take the time to actually learn about all those named stat blocks they would find that 80% of them are traps like soldier's, it really hurts experimenting with new builds until you just get drops or warlord's armor chests from pvp/wvw.

Legendary armor solves this but it's a absolutely massive time investment to do the achievements or spvp/wvw timegating.

I will just say again that do not be afraid of how long it takes to do a raid wing, a halfway experienced group can blow through a wing in under half a hour and certain wings and encounters, particularly in HoT, are practically freebies with todays power and knowledge creep, plus the achievements for unlocking the legendary armor while it takes awhile can be done a little at a time and will unlock 2 full ascended armor sets of your choice and lead to unlocking a legendary armor piece for every 25 encounters you complete.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

so like does a heavy armor want to spec crafts into shields and greatswords or what??

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

so like does a heavy armor want to spec crafts into shields and greatswords or what??

Armorsmithing, yes

As for weapons, go for the crafts that your profession uses (Weaponsmithing covers the bulk of what Heavy Armor classes use)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

Random example since I've been running around PoF: if I'm fighting one branded patrol and another shows up, it's annoying to my mech. It's fatal to my firebrand, even if I'll probably rally from the burning. Since I've got all ascended trinkets and an ascended weapon now I got stuck at a crossroads of what exotics to go with for further OW soloing and fractals - hence the cele vs ritualist question. I can reroll my weapon and I suspect having three viper trinkets won't affect me all that much one way or the other, but the exotics that make up the rest of my gear are a variable I want to solve.

You've got to remember that pmech even after the many nerfs is an open world monster. It does consistent damage at range, has the mech to distract enemies, a strong self-heal mechanic every time you attack and shift signet which is just a ridiculous ability.

With firebrand you're going to have to take a much more active approach to damage mitigation and actually engage with the combat system. Watch the mob's attacks and if you don't need to hold your dodges for big attacks, use them. If it attacks slowly you can back out of range, or circle around to make their attacks whiff. Use protection, aegis, stability, projectile reflect, and condi cleanse to reduce incoming damage at appropriate points. Different enemies will require different strategies, but when played well, you can quite easily solo even most of the big hero point encounters in HoT on firebrand.

Cele will improve your overall survivability, due to toughness more than vitality, and works fantastically on a quick firebrand - here's a build: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/guardian/booster-firebrand/. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about toughness in raids with it - usually your tank will be using higher toughness gear than cele, and should be doing toughness checks in pugs. But if you don't want to play a more hybrid role (which is sometimes difficult to fit into instanced groups being "non-meta" and poorly understood) I'd fully commit and get the best stat gear for your role, which is almost certainly the ritualist stuff.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

..btt posted:

Different enemies will require different strategies, but when played well, you can quite easily solo even most of the big hero point encounters in HoT on firebrand.

This reminds me: what are some good open-world benchmarks for the soloability of a build? Smacking a stationary golem around is all well and good, but it's important to know how much sustain a build has when your target will actually fight back

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

404notfound posted:

This reminds me: what are some good open-world benchmarks for the soloability of a build? Smacking a stationary golem around is all well and good, but it's important to know how much sustain a build has when your target will actually fight back

I find the arrowhead HP to by the make or break for me. (auric basin - edit)

It is soloable, but it is also going to take you down the moment you let it.

Otherwise just trying to do anything on Crystal desert map, when everything just decides now is the time to wander through that exact spot you are in.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
HoT HPs.

Tier 1: arrowhead in auric basin
Tier 2: frogs in verdant brink
Tier 3: mushroom in tangled depths (rata sum)

Most builds can clear tier 1, many can clear tier 2, some can clear tier 3 but only the celestial vindicator can facetank it without breaking a sweat :smug:

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

404notfound posted:

If it can solo the mushroom queen

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

No, for two reasons

1: What armour weight a class wears has nothing to do with what weapon types they have access to.
2: Unless you need the highest tier of equipment (and I've had fun for like seven years without bothering with it) it's usually cheaper to just buy your equipment off the trading post rather than craft it yourself.

E: and, bonus:
3: what damage a weapon does doesn't actually have anything to do with its type, either. A greatsword doesn't necessarily do more damage than a dagger.

It's really best to think of your 1-5 skills as simply individual skills, where which ones you get depends on both what weapons you're using and what your class is. No one weapon is better than any other not least of which because they literally do different things depending on what class is wielding them.

So it becomes a question of whether or not you like the mechanics of a particular weapon's abilities (for your class) rather than whether or not a given weapon is good or not. Eg both mesmers and warriors can use a greatsword, but it behaves differently for each.

ee: buy yourself cheap versions of all the weapons off of a merchant, so you can play around with your class's weapon skills and see which ones you like.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 7, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Otherwise just trying to do anything on Crystal desert map, when everything just decides now is the time to wander through that exact spot you are in.

Bounties in PoF are the worst. They're all awful, but the one that comes to mind the most is Man-Eater. Frequently goes invulnerable while also in the path of a quickly respawning vet hydra, multiple lesser sharks, and a branded patrol. Until I learned that the tags on the map were actively doing bounties and I could just follow them I had a hell of a time with those dailies.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I haven't played this game seriously/regularly since PoF came out so hearing that it's possible to solo frog and mushroom HPs, nevermind it's a common build benchmark, is absolutely wild to me.

One day I'll leave my PS5 alone long enough to really dive into the new expansion properly instead of just having rushed the storyline...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Bounties and HoT HP weren’t intended to be solo content. Builds *can* do them, but they’re such a small portion of open world content that you don’t have to craft around that goal.

The new anvil HP & armor buff, Jade Bot HP buff, and some regen/lifesteal food are more than enough defense for 99% of open world content these days even in otherwise full glass cannon gear.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Boy HoT kinda just builds up forever and then goes "oh right" and shoves you straight into the absolutely awful final fight huh

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

HoT HPs.

Tier 1: arrowhead in auric basin
Tier 2: frogs in verdant brink
Tier 3: mushroom in tangled depths (rata sum)

Most builds can clear tier 1, many can clear tier 2, some can clear tier 3 but only the celestial vindicator can facetank it without breaking a sweat :smug:

balthazar in auric basin is a better tier 1 test, the arrowhead just rolls around he doesn't really fight back

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

kirbysuperstar posted:

Boy HoT kinda just builds up forever and then goes "oh right" and shoves you straight into the absolutely awful final fight huh

Yeah I wonder if they ever fixed it so that it sometimes just straight up ejects you out of the fight towards the end when you're using the glider because that was always a grand time. At least the mordremouth fight in dragon's stand is really cool

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Pesterchum posted:

Yeah I wonder if they ever fixed it so that it sometimes just straight up ejects you out of the fight towards the end when you're using the glider because that was always a grand time.

They did actually fix that yeah.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Talking Fractals... So I've got my builds, I've got my ascended trinkets, and I can swap my exotic weapon/gear around. I take it the normal path is A) attune both rings and then B) slap +9s in every slot to cap out T2?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm not sure there's a "normal" path, but +9s will allow you to cap out above 150 for T4s with a full ascended set, so are generally a good investment. You'll need 17 for that, but have 18 slots in a full ascended gear set with attuned and infused rings. If you want to save a few gold, you could use some lower infusions in a few slots. Personally I just put +9s in until I'm over 150. For any T2, you'll want around 61 AR, or 7 +9s.

Bear in mind this is not exactly a hard requirement - most sources of agony can be avoided, there's a potion at the potion vendor which will give +10 AR (15 with mastery) for an hour, and the fractal mastery track will give you +5 AR when you use a singularity. Some things will just outright kill you if you're too far below the recommended amount though, e.g. porting into the Mai Trin encounter.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I would craft so many more ascended gears if I wasn't time gated on crafting mats. Like please let me queue up 20 or 30 of those once a day mats and then log back in a month later to pick them up.

I keep wanting to kit out another character for fractals but just can't bring myself to put in the effort to remember to do the thing.

Time gating things like that feels like a bandaid on bad game design imho

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The once-per-day crafts are account bound. The things they make are not and can be bought on the TP.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I'm just specifically talking T2s. Didn't know if there was some galaxy-brain play using +7s or something. I guess I technically could and just quaff a pot every run, but given how long it'll take me to get +9s AND get up to level 25... I'm not too worried.

LordAdakos posted:

Time gating things like that feels like a bandaid on bad game design imho

I mean the entire game is time-gated from top to bottom. Dailies, weeklies, etc. I just accept it as part of the MMO landscape since the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The AR pots are very cheap when you first start buying them, but you only get a limited number per-account at the cheaper price. Not a long-term solution, but a good band-aid when working on your first character.

You can rush through the lower tiers - some people have a really bad experience in T2 and 3 (I didn't). In fact you can walk straight into T4s anyway, you just can't view the LFG for them until your own attunement is high enough. But it sounds like you're happy enough just going at your own pace.