Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I splurged on a Purdy paintbrush instead of using the El Cheapo bullshit and Wow what a joy to use. Are they generally the best paintbrushes for house painting?

They've had that rep forever, and they make you clean them up tidy so you don't ruin them after 1 job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Cheap lovely brushes are amazing at sweeping chips off my drill press. They are great for that.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

PitViper posted:

and roller covers are single use and shouldn't be washed out and reused, especially over multiple jobs.

Really? I have a couple decent roller covers that I've used to paint several rooms that seem to be holding up just fine. I just spend a few minutes to thoroughly clean them in the utility sink after I'm done with a room. In between coats I wrap the brushes and roller covers with press 'n' seal

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I learned with how often I paint, a 12 pack of good roller covers will last me a while. It's not worth the effort to clean and dry them.

I think we went through two packs painting the whole house when we bought our first place. The new place has been getting new paint one room at a time as my wife decides on decor, so I just make sure I've got several in the box ready to go. If I'm painting a room, I make sure I have time to do the whole thing in one go, and just take a new roller for the second coat.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The prep is the worst part of painting unfortunately and I’m not sure if there are many good shortcuts there. Even with lovely paint and brushes the actual painting part is usually kinda fun imho.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Any recommendations on how to clean dirt/dust/rust off of some tools? I don't want to just use like a wet rag in case that'll make rust worse. I would guess maybe rubbing alcohol or something? A lot of it might just come off with a normal rag.

Still no idea how many of these are in working condition, they might just be scrap or something smeone smarter can clean up, but either way ill just clean them up and throw them up on like craigslist or somethng

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
For rust just use any oil and any scrubbing thing and for dirt and grime you can use any degreaser like 409 or simple green and rags

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Scotch-brite pads are my go to for rust. They are cheap, you can cut them into shapes, they hold up better than 0000 steel wool and they won’t murder cast iron.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, this video may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MC_ZEXQbw

Evaporust is highly recommended. I've used sandpaper, steel wool, electrolysis and rust reformer primer depending on what I was working on.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I found Evaporust + wire wheel/cup in a drill or angle grinder to be the most accessible combo.

Electrolysis if you have the equipment and/or a huge thing to de-rust (without taking the Hand Tools Rescue "Eternal Tub of Evaporust" approach).

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
If it's small enough and there's enough rust to warrant it boiling does a really good job of softening up rust to make it easy to take off, and if it has a finish you want to preserve (ie a blued gun) it converts rust back into black oxide. Same thing as rust blueing a gun, although it's easy to get the rust off to bare metal too with that.

For just minor rust though, yeah anything abrasive. Gotta try the scotch brite pad thing, that's probably a nice balance when you want to get more aggressive than steel wool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I submerged a bunch of rusty files in vinegar, the strong stuff, for several days and they came out sparkling and shiny.

I don't know if that will gently caress up any finishes like chrome, but it worked for bare steel.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

ryanrs posted:

Cheap lovely brushes are amazing at sweeping chips off my drill press. They are great for that.

You mean a chip brush is good for chips? :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DTO day, woohoo!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 7, 2023

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Your cabinets have a dust port

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Ooh this little thing is useful

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

My Dewalt shop vac is unbelievably loud when it’s connected to my 20v Orbital Sander. It’s high pitched and almost whistles. It’s tolerable with other tools. I am going down the dust collection rabbit hole again. I am leaning dust extractor over a dust collector. My table saw is only tool with a 2 1/2 dust port and will probably remain that way for years. The 1 7/8 ribbed hose is also a pita. I should really make a boom arm.

The other option is look for a sander upgrade? Those Mirka knockoffs are kinda tempting.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Calidus posted:

My Dewalt shop vac is unbelievably loud when it’s connected to my 20v Orbital Sander. It’s high pitched and almost whistles. It’s tolerable with other tools. I am going down the dust collection rabbit hole again. I am leaning dust extractor over a dust collector. My table saw is only tool with a 2 1/2 dust port and will probably remain that way for years. The 1 7/8 ribbed hose is also a pita. I should really make a boom arm.

The other option is look for a sander upgrade? Those Mirka knockoffs are kinda tempting.
You vacuum is probably pulling too hard and that's what's making the noise. My shop vac would suck the sander down against the work pretty tight and it seemed to make the sander motor work harder. Some dust extractors have variable power on the suction which might help.

I bit the bullet in December and got an electric Mirka orbital and with their mesh sandpaper and a Festool dust extractor it's pretty loving amazing. I got the one that can use a 5" pad or a 6" and keep the 6" pad on and it's sooooo light compared to my Ridgid 6" sander and it sands amazingly fast-I can usually skip 80 grit and jump right to 120. I lived perfectly happily sanding sometimes 40 hrs a week for years with whatever bosch/ridgid orbital sanders but now I'm broken forever and will never be able to go back. You sure pay, but you do get what you pay for. With the Mirka mesh paper it did great sanding lacquer but didn't do as well with whatever the 3M cubitron mesh stuff is. I haven't handled the equivalent festool sanders but I really love the pneumatic sander shape and weight of the Mirka. It's just light and low and easy to handle and feels great in the hand. I know the 3m one is similar shape and I considered it pretty hard too since it's like half the price. Somewhere I read they had some QC issues with the switches or something? That'll probably get ironed out. I'm not sure it could handle both size pads either. As far as noise, I'm not sure I'd say it's all that much quieter than using a shop vac, but I'm using wearing hearing protection anyway.

You don't need a nice sander, but gosh it sure is nice.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I bit the bullet in December and got an electric Mirka orbital and with their mesh sandpaper and a Festool dust extractor it's pretty loving amazing.

I have been looking at various dust extractors, did you consider anything besides festool? Unless you need a large amount of capacity their price doesn’t seem that bad. The models with Bluetooth built in sound nice. The major brand extractors all seem float around $500 and $700

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

DTO day, woohoo!
Congrats. Mine is coming later this week. :toot:

Is that... did you get two batteries with the fan?

I ordered two of those clip-on mini fans but they haven't shipped yet; got a message from DTO apologizing for the delay.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

Congrats. Mine is coming later this week. :toot:

Is that... did you get two batteries with the fan?

I ordered two of those clip-on mini fans but they haven't shipped yet; got a message from DTO apologizing for the delay.

No actually the extra battery was from a warranty claim. I had a 1.5Ah give me the red/green blinking LEDs on the charger once it hit half charge. Once I told customer support chat about the LEDs, I instantly got a replacement order notification in my email before they could respond in the chat. It just happened to arrive the same day as my other stuff from DTO.

Ryobi warranty claims have been quick and easy for me overall!

I did have the hose on my 4-gal backpack sprayer get a leak in it and I ended up with a bunch of Roundup down my back. Even though the tool carries a 3y warranty, the hose is considered consumable and only has a 90-day warranty, annoyingly enough. $22 + $12 shipping for a replacement hose :argh:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I did have the hose on my 4-gal backpack sprayer get a leak in it and I ended up with a bunch of Roundup down my back. Even though the tool carries a 3y warranty, the hose is considered consumable and only has a 90-day warranty, annoyingly enough. $22 + $12 shipping for a replacement hose :argh:
:negative:

I don't know how far you're out on ownership of it... but if you bought it with a decent credit card, it may be one of those things where you can make a warranty claim (or a "return" claim; like I have a pricey Chase Sapphire Reserve card that does 120 day return protection). A lot of them (a lot less now though) double the warranty up to an additional year (usually with a cap of like "Well if it's more than 2 years though we don't do anything"), and when it's a two-part warranty, they double each part respectively. So 90 days becomes 180 days. But whether you want to file a claim over $34 (I wouldn't tell them you bought it already) :shrug:
You'd probably have to dig into your card's guide to benefits (example).

The Costco Credit Card was great for extended warranties particularly for Costco stuff, but they axed that program at the beginning of this year iirc.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 7, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Calidus posted:

I have been looking at various dust extractors, did you consider anything besides festool? Unless you need a large amount of capacity their price doesn’t seem that bad. The models with Bluetooth built in sound nice. The major brand extractors all seem float around $500 and $700
I didn't really shop around much tbh. I know Bosch makes one which I am sure is probably fine. I think Mirka makes on too, tho I doubt it's any cheaper than the festool. I got one of the smaller Festool ones since all I planned on using it for was sanding and didn't really need much capacity. I think its the CT26. What in the world does bluetooth do on a dust extractor?!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

:negative:

I don't know how far you're out on ownership of it... but if you bought it with a decent credit card, it may be one of those things where you can make a warranty claim (or a "return" claim; like I have a pricey Chase Sapphire Reserve card that does 120 day return protection). A lot of them (a lot less now though) double the warranty up to an additional year (usually with a cap of like "Well if it's more than 2 years though we don't do anything"), and when it's a two-part warranty, they double each part respectively. So 90 days becomes 180 days. But whether you want to file a claim over $34 (I wouldn't tell them you bought it already) :shrug:
You'd probably have to dig into your card's guide to benefits (example).

The Costco Credit Card was great for extended warranties particularly for Costco stuff, but they axed that program at the beginning of this year iirc.

Yeah, I’ve had it for almost 2 years now, and $36 is in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ territory to get one of my most-used tools back in action. Greenest lawn in the neighborhood what up.

I actually did use the Costco warranty on an Apple Watch SE that my kid dropped and shattered 2 weeks after we got it for her. I was shocked that they paid me out on full price within a week or two of filing the claim. I ended up buying an SE2 on sale for cheaper, so I actually came out ahead, with a newer watch. I’ll be sad if they actually axed that.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, I’ve had it for almost 2 years now, and $36 is in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ territory to get one of my most-used tools back in action. Greenest lawn in the neighborhood what up.

I actually did use the Costco warranty on an Apple Watch SE that my kid dropped and shattered 2 weeks after we got it for her. I was shocked that they paid me out on full price within a week or two of filing the claim. I ended up buying an SE2 on sale for cheaper, so I actually came out ahead, with a newer watch. I’ll be sad if they actually axed that.
Nice.

And yeah unfortunately it's true. Axed on Jan 22 of this year:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-costco-card-removes-extended-warranty-benefit/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

Nice.

And yeah unfortunately it's true. Axed on Jan 22 of this year:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-costco-card-removes-extended-warranty-benefit/

Hmm, that’s a bummer. I think I filed mine under broken or stolen though; not extended, since it was only 2 weeks old. Hopefully they kept that part at least?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/
Citi doesn't have a nice booklet like Chase does. You'd need to login to view your benefits, but it looks like yeah you still have 90 or 120 day purchase protection afaik.
(or here it is: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/media/CPP/Files/LegalDocs/SOAPI/CostcoCon.ashx )

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 7, 2023

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I didn't really shop around much tbh. I know Bosch makes one which I am sure is probably fine. I think Mirka makes on too, tho I doubt it's any cheaper than the festool. I got one of the smaller Festool ones since all I planned on using it for was sanding and didn't really need much capacity. I think its the CT26. What in the world does bluetooth do on a dust extractor?!

On an off via a remote control. Sound useful if intend to shove it in a corner or under a workbench. I watched a video of some guy putting the remote at end of hose extension for easy use .

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Some of them will talk via Bluetooth to a tool of the same brand, but that sucks for obvious reasons.

Corded tools and relays are better ergonomics, I think.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Ooh this little thing is useful

We needed one of those at work a few weeks ago, so I put one together from the scrap pile. Running 20g kanthal wire at like 6.5a at 1.8v or so, haven't used it on anything but heavy styrofoam yet but sure works a treat.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Oh that one is sweet! I've had the proxxon for more than a year and only just used it because wargame crafting has been on the back burner. I was able to foam out all my toolboxes for way less than ordering custom sizes/shapes. Just cut a template on the bandsaw and pinning it down to bulk foam blocks from Rockler

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Your scrap pile is nicer than anything at my job

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I'm gonna fuckin find out if 5S will work for me. https://www.rockler.com/rockler-foam-organizer-sheet

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Calidus posted:

On an off via a remote control. Sound useful if intend to shove it in a corner or under a workbench. I watched a video of some guy putting the remote at end of hose extension for easy use .
Oh okay. I just plug my tools into the outlet on the vac and it turns on/off automatically when the tool turns on/off

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lathespin.gif posted:

We needed one of those at work a few weeks ago, so I put one together from the scrap pile. Running 20g kanthal wire at like 6.5a at 1.8v or so, haven't used it on anything but heavy styrofoam yet but sure works a treat.

I loving love when people with access to machine shops do mundane tasks, lol

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Lathespin.gif posted:

Your scraps and my scraps are very different. This was some wooden dowels, a Goodwill hairdryer, and an old PC power supply.

e: and the final product

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 8, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I loving love when people with access to machine shops do mundane tasks, lol

Seriously, that shop-made hot wire cutter looks sturdier than the commercial one that I have used.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SpartanIvy posted:

e: and the final product

Very nice. One thing to note, open cell foam like that loves to hold moisture and rust poo poo badly. I would strongly suggest either switching to closed cell foam or wrapping your expensive blued guns with corrosion blocking paper. Also, any oil or grease that leaks or is on the guns will soak into the foam and it'll glue itself to the firearms.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

sharkytm posted:

Very nice. One thing to note, open cell foam like that loves to hold moisture and rust poo poo badly. I would strongly suggest either switching to closed cell foam or wrapping your expensive blued guns with corrosion blocking paper. Also, any oil or grease that leaks or is on the guns will soak into the foam and it'll glue itself to the firearms.

Oh yeah, definitely. This was just to transport them to/from a friend's bachelor party by plane. I tore up the foam into little pieces and used it as packing material for like a year afterwards lol

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

SpartanIvy posted:

Your scraps and my scraps are very different. This was some wooden dowels, a Goodwill hairdryer, and an old PC power supply.

If you don't have a suitable power supply somewhere, you can use a $50 adjustable lab bench power supply from Amazon. They can be set to a constant current and it adjusts itself to the appropriate voltage. I just sliced up a bunch of 5" insulation with a hot wire I made using one, it was handy being able turn the current up and down on the fly.