Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

wait did ol' wingy boy's logo always look like a nazi eagle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, he's fash.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean I knew was cunty I just didn't realise he was so openly mask off on the fash.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

I suppose if you squint it does have that vibe, yeah

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol do you ever get the feeling that all of *this* would be so insanely easy to fix if we had a a competent left wing party. It's not like there isn't space for it either. Why are centrists the most deluded people yet universally the most utterly convinced that they're the only serious adults in the room.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol do you ever get the feeling that all of *this* would be so insanely easy to fix if we had a a competent left wing party. It's not like there isn't space for it either. Why are centrists the most deluded people yet universally the most utterly convinced that they're the only serious adults in the room.

Because we are country of senile inbred paedophiles who keep a crushing grip on the media and allow nothing left of mussolini to flourish.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i thought it was some warhammer 40k roleplay poo poo flag

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i thought it was some warhammer 40k roleplay poo poo flag

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I'd like to welcome the new Conservative party chairman, Mr Hands.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone remember 'Flies Graveyard' biscuits? I think their official name was garibaldis. Biscuits with currants in.

Garibaldis still exist if you know where to look. Bit dry on their own but nice dunked into a cup of tea.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

smellmycheese posted:

It’s all kicking off with Pink Floyd

She's just jelly cos she can't write lyrics for poo poo and her husband's post-Rog music is a MOR snoozefest lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sinky posted:

Hope you are ready to be pounded by the digital £

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1622725533241864192?s=20

Pretty sure we can do that with actual money already :confused:

the only advantages a BritCoin are that you could have full 100% surveillance of your population and that you could institue negative current account interest rates

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
keep trying to buy some nice weed with my britcoin but all they send is nine bar

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TF specifically pointed out that Britcoin is literally a cryptocurrency where the bank of England has the central ledger, thereby making it all the downsides of crypto (pollution, inefficient) without the supposed upsides (decentralisation) and of course because the BoE would likely set the price it wouldn't be the speculative asset that other cryptocurrencies are, eliminating the desire for speculators to accumulate it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What could be more british than making something more awkward to use but in return it also doesn't have any benefits?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mega Comrade posted:

If a few years ago you suggested that trans people would end up being the cause of full British dissolution I'd have called you crazy.

At least it'll look good on my CV

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the advantage is it will finally shut sunak up going on and on about crypto

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

We had a left-wing party 2015-2019 and the Establishment conclusively crushed it. Now we have the choice between right wing loonies and authoritarian technocrats and that's as much as we're going to get in the future.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

TF specifically pointed out that Britcoin is literally a cryptocurrency where the bank of England has the central ledger, thereby making it all the downsides of crypto (pollution, inefficient) without the supposed upsides (decentralisation) and of course because the BoE would likely set the price it wouldn't be the speculative asset that other cryptocurrencies are, eliminating the desire for speculators to accumulate it.
There wouldn't be all the pollution and inefficiency with a central ledger, because you wouldn't need a million graphics cards in tupperware second guessing each transaction.

That theoretically makes it useful as a digital cash replacement where you can pay friends or family or small jobs without having to go to the cashpoint or negotiate "do you have PayPal/Venmo/MPay" or having to work out if you pay £51.20 to give them £50 or if you pay £50 and they receive £48.90 or whatever, because the whole thing is backed by guarantee as a centralized frictionless digital payment platform.

However

sinky posted:

quote:

offered to consumers by the private sector through smartphones or smartcards
so I'm sure there'll be some way of making that terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That theoretically makes it useful as a digital cash replacement where you can pay friends or family or small jobs without having to go to the cashpoint or negotiate "do you have PayPal/Venmo/MPay" or having to work out if you pay £51.20 to give them £50 or if you pay £50 and they receive £48.90 or whatever, because the whole thing is backed by guarantee as a centralized frictionless digital payment platform.

But this already exists and is called "the bank" and you can make payments to any account you like for free on the internet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You both need bank accounts and at least one person needs the bank details of the other to do that though. A couple of those alternatives tried simplifying that by just using a mobile number but it wasn't that much simpler and also the free market needed their cut.

Crypto where you just scan a thing but without needing to wait 5 hours while several thousand gaming rigs double check it and without any attraction as a speculative asset does have a use, I'm not sure if whatever private partnership will find it without making it bad though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I am skeptical that there is a middle ground between "having a bank account" and "cash"

Other than "extremely poorly regulated de-facto bank accounts" which is what "good" crypto sounds like.

Like with a bank there is at least some accountability for where the money is, there are processes for recovering access to it if you forget your details, and it is sufficiently centralized that at least some amount of money is protected by the government if the bank explodes. I'm not sure how you maintain those if you replace it with countless micro-services or fully cryptographic "oh you forget your account guess that money is now inaccessible for anybody ever" approaches.

While there are obviously issues with institutional prejudices in who banks are willing to work with, and what they do with the giant piles of money they have access to, I'm not sure the actual fundamental model that produces this mix of practical security but also recoverability when something goes wrong, is not kind of the best we can do?]

I think back to the dan olson crypto video comment about how unbreakable rules based systems aren't good for most people, because people are not perfect machines.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 7, 2023

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Crypto, but you can't even use it to buy drugs off the darknet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I am skeptical that there is a middle ground between "having a bank account" and "cash"
That's what Girobank set out to be, and was good at it for a long while until everyone decided that public institutions weren't allowed to be good at things.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It figures the Tories would race to be the first ones to formally insitute a type of untraceable money used mostly for pedophilia and cocaine.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It seems odd that we don't have a Venmo equivalent that everyone uses here. If you go somewhere like the US, everyone has a Venmo/Zelle/CashApp, and we don't even have one of those that everyone uses. Barclays had Paym, but it didn't take off and it's closing in March.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
'Digital currency' is such a vague term I find it had to criticise until I know exactly what they intend. The main benefits to such a thing that isn't just 'yay libertarianism!" is currently banks requiring an address to take out a bank account prevents many many people from having them, which in term makes it more difficult to get paid.

BUT that stipulation for the address is a legal one, if the Government wanted to help with that they could just allow bank accounts under a certain amount to not require addresses. So really this just looks like a way to try and beat private companies to the punch, someone gets to have all that data on exactly what people are buying, it might as well be us.

Red Oktober posted:

It seems odd that we don't have a Venmo equivalent that everyone uses here. If you go somewhere like the US, everyone has a Venmo/Zelle/CashApp, and we don't even have one of those that everyone uses. Barclays had Paym, but it didn't take off and it's closing in March.

Why would I pay 1.5% withdrawal fees when I can just do a free bank transfer? Especially when banks like Monzo make it so easy to do.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 7, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red Oktober posted:

That's because we have free direct bank transfers. Venmo fills a gap that doesn't exist here except for weirdos who want an app for everything

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pistol_Pete posted:

We had a left-wing party 2015-2019 and the Establishment conclusively crushed it. Now we have the choice between right wing loonies and authoritarian technocrats and that's as much as we're going to get in the future.

Corbyn and his staunch allies were cool but I'd kinda dispute that the Labour Party as a whole was left as such. It was ran by lefties but the whole PLP and party apparatus remained centrist as hell. I guess we'll never know but short of him going full purge out of character I'm dubious that corbyn could have gotten a lot of the stuff he wanted through parliament given the rest of the MPs, and even in power Labour would have continued to self sabotage to make him look bad until he resigned or was no confidenced.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I thought you could just transfer cash instantly via SMS, or is that no longer (never was) a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

That's because we have free direct bank transfers. Venmo fills a gap that doesn't exist here except for weirdos who want an app for everything

Yeah the US banking system is hosed in many ways, not least it works on a pull system where if someone has your bank details they can request money from your bank and your bank will just pay it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

currently watching the cop rapist sentencing live on the bbc, but they keep cutting it off for legal reasons every 2 minutes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It figures the Tories would race to be the first ones to formally insitute a type of untraceable money used mostly for pedophilia and cocaine.

Why? It's not like they're having any issues with either under the current status quo

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009
It's quite weird the way people talk about central bank digital currencies. They are not cryptocurrencies as by definition they have a central authority ( the government/central bank).

They could mean that they mean people can transfer money etc. without relying on private banks ( this is good as if you remember in 2008 the argument was, we have to bail out all the banks ASAP or the ATMs will stop working and civilisation will collapse).

But the central bankers who are proposing a thing are fully in the private sector is best ideology. So they talk about the private sector being involved between the central bank and consumers, which makes it rather confusing what the difference is compared to the banks we have at the moment.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I wonder how El Salvador is getting on since it spunked all that money on making bitcoin a formal legal tender lol

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

For any money transactions outside of bank to bank I tend to use PayPal as that is also free for all transactions I make.

But definitely in the UK there is no need for an app such as Venmo/Cashapp/etc. as I can send money from my bank account and it will be in that other person's account in seconds.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Theoretically I think a "digital currency" run by the state is a very good idea. The state controls the printing of bank notes and minting of coins, but in classic style, when it comes to doing this electronically it's all been handed over to private companies, who always take their cut. Things like debit cards, Apple Pay, PayPal etc simply shouldn't exist, the state should administer the use of money. That you need to have a bank account with a recognised bank in order to buy something without a pile of metal or paper is terrible, and even worse that on top of that you also need to hand all your information to yet another company to buy many things over the internet. And of course, this lock-in is also used to pressure you into credit cards, i.e. debt. It's even bad for retailers as they have to pay a toll to these companies just for the consumer to find it more convenient.

Obviously though, I wouldn't trust the Tories to actually do this well for a second. I'm sure that this is just the dregs of crypto-madness seeping into their broken minds.

Anyway, check out how incestuous our media is:

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1622717771212619778

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ThomasPaine posted:

I wonder how El Salvador is getting on since it spunked all that money on making bitcoin a formal legal tender lol

Not great. Their volcano bonds for bitcoin city didn't take off like they wanted. They have now gotten to the point where they are not paying teachers or police and other government employees.

Meanwhile the President keeps tweeting about 'buying the dip". Its probably all gonna end with a coup.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

That's what Girobank set out to be, and was good at it for a long while until everyone decided that public institutions weren't allowed to be good at things.
It is impressive how innovative the Girobank and how it forced the private banks to improve to compete.

Also regarding CDBCs and privacy, the government can already see what you do with your bank account, either because the banks have to report when there are suspicions of money laundering etc. or via :nsa:
A CDBC could probably be implemented in a way that preserves some privacy, but considering who the government (and the opposition ) is, that is unlikely to happen in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I used cash all day yesterday for the first time in what feels like years and having a wallet full of change is such a massive ballache

It’s just so heavy and unnecessary