Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bonjour from septidi 17 Pluviôse CCXXXI, vive la République!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

oldpainless posted:

For you it was the day of the worst terrorist attack on American soil but for me it was Tuesday

more like old"planes? couldn't care"less

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

mrpwase posted:

Bonjour from septidi 17 Pluviôse CCXXXI, vive la République!

Celebrating the noble lichen!

https://twitter.com/sansculotides/status/1622369739199909888

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So Austin had some icy weather recently and I think the following posts describe exactly what it was like over the past week or so here.

Jan 29th

biceps crimes posted:

it looks like it's going to just be a bit cold and wet

biceps crimes posted:

just a lil damp and you’ll need a jacket

Jan 30th

biceps crimes posted:

This so called winter storm warning is a joke

Feb 1st

biceps crimes posted:

gently caress, I just lost power. I was out on a walk too. The neighborhood is a disaster and there’s tons of huge branches blocking entire sections of road around here. Time to get my sleeping bags and set my refrigerator poo poo outside

Feb 6th

biceps crimes posted:

I still dont have power and it’s a circuit with 150+ customers. This is now the longest I’ve been without power in my life, beating hurricanes in Houston and also a blizzard in the early 90s that hosed up Georgia. I’m turning into the joker

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zil posted:

So Austin had some icy weather recently and I think the following posts describe exactly what it was like over the past week or so here.

Jan 29th

Jan 30th

Feb 1st

Feb 6th

Belongs in the Schad thread

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

I'll clarify.

If you're saying the full day of the month: nobody cares. It's unambiguous. This includes 1st January, January 1st, January 1st 2023, 1st January 2023, it's verbal preference.

If you're going numerical and listing the day, month, and year:
DD-MM-YY(YY): Fine.
YY(YY)-MM-DD: Also fine.
MM-DD-YY(YY): Some form of national PTSD.

If you're going numerical and just listing the day and month:
You shouldn't be doing this, but if you do and your native language is English you should go dd/mm because "the fifth of the sixth" is an English sentence but I dare you to find a way to make that work unambiguously the other way around that isn't incredibly clunky.

this is the exact same energy of post as a US poster complaining about extra u's in british english.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zil posted:

That delivered on a winter apocalypse story better than Game of Thrones did.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hwurmp posted:

Metroid: Bread

Hwurmp posted:

my favorite Metroid: Bread boss is Leaven Beak

Saint Freak posted:

Mother Grain

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zil posted:

Jan 29th

Jan 30th

Feb 1st

Feb 6th
lmao

The worst I ever got it in Massachusetts was an ice storm that tore down literally millions of trees and knocked out power for a week. That really sucked but also we have some semblance of a power grid restoration system here, it's just that that gets delayed when there's dozens of trees laying across every single road in town

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

oldpainless posted:

For you it was the day of the worst terrorist attack on American soil but for me it was the ninth of November

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zil posted:

Jan 29th

Jan 30th

Feb 1st

Feb 6th
Since I assume it's gauche to post your own posts I'll do it for you. From the 30th:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Splicer posted:

I'll clarify.

If you're saying the full day of the month: nobody cares. It's unambiguous. This includes 1st January, January 1st, January 1st 2023, 1st January 2023, it's verbal preference.

You shouldn't be doing this, but if you do and your native language is English you should go dd/mm because "the fifth of the sixth" is an English sentence but I dare you to find a way to make that work unambiguously the other way around that isn't incredibly clunky.

shut the gently caress uo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Splicer posted:

I'll clarify.

who the gently caress says "the fifth of the sixth" instead of "the fifth of june" or "june fifth" or something?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

christmas boots posted:

who the gently caress says "the fifth of the sixth" instead of "the fifth of june" or "june fifth" or something?

Spare a thought for the ancient Romans when their calendar got hosed around and "September" (which is Latin for 'Seventh month") became the ninth month, October ("Eighth month") became the tenth month, etc. The senex iratus (ancient Roman version of boomers) must have bitched like crazy

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Feb 7, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have encountered old drawling people at work that, when asked for their birthdate, say something like “the fourth the fifth the forty-seventh” and it is mind-boggling. I have no idea where that came from.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Lead paint

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

freeedr posted:

I have encountered old drawling people at work that, when asked for their birthdate, say something like “the fourth the fifth the forty-seventh” and it is mind-boggling. I have no idea where that came from.

It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth,
the forty-seventh annual gift,
the boomer king reciting birthday to ya

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SyNack Sassimov posted:

lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The senex iratus (ancient Roman version of boomers) must have bitched like crazy

Probably didn't help that people called them irate geezers.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SyNack Sassimov posted:

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When you give your credit card expiry date over the phone, do you say the month name or the number that’s printed on the card?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

You know we use the Aztec calendar here.

edited: Izcalli 11 acatl Xiuhnelpill

You can't fool me, that ended ten years ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Subjunctive posted:

When you give your credit card expiry date over the phone, do you say the month name or the number that’s printed on the card?

When I'm talking to an American, month. When I'm talking to a Nigerian, I just say the number.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dareon posted:

You can't fool me, that ended ten years ago.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Subjunctive posted:

hmm, haven't done that in English in years. if i did it in Japanese i think i'd add month and year, i.e. ni-gatsu nisen-nijuu-san-nen (2月2023年), or maybe ni-gatsu nijuu-san-nen or ni-gatsu nijuu-san

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Fix It posted:

hmm, haven't done that in English in years. if i did it in Japanese i think i'd add month and year, i.e. ni-gatsu nisen-nijuu-san-nen (2月2023年), or maybe ni-gatsu nijuu-san-nen or ni-gatsu nijuu-san

Well obviously.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Subjunctive posted:

Well obviously.

hey man, you asked.

just give in to ISO 8601.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Fix It posted:

hey man, you asked.

I’m a Canadian who lived in the US for a while and travelled back and forth a bunch, so I always just write the 3-letter version of the month name because I kept forgetting which one I was supposed to use.

All my log files are 8601-named, fear not.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Subjunctive posted:

All my log files are 8601-named, fear not.

:hai:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

freeedr posted:

I have encountered old drawling people at work that, when asked for their birthdate, say something like “the fourth the fifth the forty-seventh”

Hallelujah, hallelujah

e: gently caress

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh-four fifteen.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh-four fifteen.

but how do you read the 3 digit code on the back?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nine eight three.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mr. Fix It posted:

hey man, you asked.

prISOner (2x4)601

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:redflag: You're TOAST! :redflag:

RedFlag posted:

RedFlag's Instant 5-step Speech/Toast

1. Tell them who you are (introduce yourself).
2. Tell them who they are (show them you know them).
3. Tell them why they're listening to you (body of the speech).
4. Tell them why they'll remember you (something personal).
5. Tell them they can stop listening to you (wrap up).

This works best as a rule when you have to work without prep-time, so it might not be relevant to your specific situation, OP. But I've used it for several impromptu public speaking occasions, at weddings and otherwise.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

EorayMel posted:

:redflag: You're TOAST! :redflag:

Glad we got rid of this sort of filth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spare a thought for the ancient Romans when their calendar got hosed around and "September" (which is Latin for 'Seventh month") became the ninth month, October ("Eighth month") became the tenth month, etc. The senex iratus (ancient Roman version of boomers) must have bitched like crazy

these are the folks who didn't even count winter because it was too cold and miserable, being... apparently like under 20c sometimes

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

these are the folks who didn't even count winter because it was too cold and miserable, being... apparently like under 20c sometimes

Truly a wise and noble people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I regularly see 18th century priests write poo poo like 12te 9br for the 12th of November