Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmagic
May 12, 2001

Nuebot posted:

It was especially annoying because the very first tutorial popup tells you about changing your controls in the options menu. Which you can't do, because the options menu is disabled.

EDIT: so having gone back to finish the tutorial and play it a bit more, I'm just going to uninstall it and say Rise loving sucks. They crippled your base mobility to force you to use the new mobility mechanic, except your little silk step thing has incredibly limited uses and while they don't take too long to recharge, it's absolutely not worth the fact that the game feels like you're playing underwater compared to World, while basically every early game monster feels like you're fighting Barioth for how much they blast around the arena shooting projectiles at you. Great Swords in particular are basically hamstrung, you can't alter the trajectory of your charge anymore and they added a really weird delay - only like one second, if that - after you sheath your sword before you can draw it again to attack which makes even basic combat feel awful, and monsters are barely stunned long enough to get your big attacks off, so I can only imagine how miserable it's going to be trying to play anything past the early game content.

But the asinine thing that put me over the edge and just made me give up, was that you can't add items to the item bar anymore I guess? In World there were two item menus, your radial menu and your item bar. I never really liked using the radial menu, it just didn't feel comfortable to me; I kept my important items on the item bar where they were all one or two quick taps away from one another. But in Rise, you still have an item bar. But for some useless reason, it's just filled with poo poo like the camera. So you have no choice but to use the radial menu, and I'm probably just exceptionally bad; but I have a hard time playing the game when I have to hold L1, move my character with the analog stick and negotiate the radial menu with the right stick, on top of the fact that inexplicably the radial menu only takes up a tiny portion of your screen while the rest of your screen just darkens, making it harder to see what's going on slightly.

The game just feels like poo poo, coming off of world, and every new addition is only frustrating rather than fun. Like Spiribirds. I sure do love losing all the cool options for buffing and prep I had before, and instead now just have to roam the map looking for birds that give me buffs for that mission.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone else say Rise has worse mobility than World. I mean, look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9qVUY1OdT8

You also can alter your aim with the GS:
https://i.imgur.com/Ogn6HjQ.mp4

And the item bar is absolutely still there, and can be scrolled through with either left/right on the d-pad or with LB+X/LB+B just like in World:
https://i.imgur.com/r8akXVI.mp4

And there are still demon powders and might seeds and other buffing items, the spiribirds are just a little bonus as you run towards the monster. I don't think you can write off options for buffing and prep when you have done like 1 or 2 LR hunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

It was especially annoying because the very first tutorial popup tells you about changing your controls in the options menu. Which you can't do, because the options menu is disabled.

EDIT: so having gone back to finish the tutorial and play it a bit more, I'm just going to uninstall it and say Rise loving sucks. They crippled your base mobility to force you to use the new mobility mechanic, except your little silk step thing has incredibly limited uses and while they don't take too long to recharge, it's absolutely not worth the fact that the game feels like you're playing underwater compared to World, while basically every early game monster feels like you're fighting Barioth for how much they blast around the arena shooting projectiles at you. Great Swords in particular are basically hamstrung, you can't alter the trajectory of your charge anymore and they added a really weird delay - only like one second, if that - after you sheath your sword before you can draw it again to attack which makes even basic combat feel awful, and monsters are barely stunned long enough to get your big attacks off, so I can only imagine how miserable it's going to be trying to play anything past the early game content.

But the asinine thing that put me over the edge and just made me give up, was that you can't add items to the item bar anymore I guess? In World there were two item menus, your radial menu and your item bar. I never really liked using the radial menu, it just didn't feel comfortable to me; I kept my important items on the item bar where they were all one or two quick taps away from one another. But in Rise, you still have an item bar. But for some useless reason, it's just filled with poo poo like the camera. So you have no choice but to use the radial menu, and I'm probably just exceptionally bad; but I have a hard time playing the game when I have to hold L1, move my character with the analog stick and negotiate the radial menu with the right stick, on top of the fact that inexplicably the radial menu only takes up a tiny portion of your screen while the rest of your screen just darkens, making it harder to see what's going on slightly.

The game just feels like poo poo, coming off of world, and every new addition is only frustrating rather than fun. Like Spiribirds. I sure do love losing all the cool options for buffing and prep I had before, and instead now just have to roam the map looking for birds that give me buffs for that mission.

Man I'm sorry that you didn't jive with Rise, I thought it was the smoothest game in the series yet

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Rise took a little bit of time to hook me, coming off of World. I think the map design was a part of that - unlike World's, which had these sprawling maps that felt large and spread over an area, Rose's maps felt more....I don't know how exactly to explain it, it felt like the map was a big column filled with land.

After I got used to this change, I enjoyed it a lot more and it turned into one of my favourites of the series.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I went straight from World to Rise without a break and yeah, it can be pretty jarring. It's the slight changes that mess you up. That said, Rise is a fantastic game and worth adjusting to if you really liked World.

Rampages are rear end though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm following a guide for them and I have no idea how you'd figure almost any of this poo poo out. Especially before they patched in the map markers for NPCs.

Though right now I'm feeling particularly soured on Liurnia. It's too big, too spread out, and all of the side content is awkwardly laid out. Even just getting your hands on all three map chunks takes concerted effort.

Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula had a good flow to them, but with Liurnia it's constantly felt like I'm doing something wrong or missing something obvious.

The worst I saw was: Go to the deepest point of this one area, then look at this specific bloodstain that is indistinguishable from player bloodstains, in this specific spot. A mechanic that has never(?) been used any other time in the whole "series".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't remember if there's a way to actually die in that room, they may have been banking on people thinking "huh? Someone died in here? How? Did the [spoiler redacted] come alive and do something to them?" and looking at the bloodstain out of curiosity

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monster hunter rise having crippled mobility compared to world is an insane take lol

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You can drift your dog!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I literally have the opposite complaint, that your wild, soaring movement kind of takes away from the humble, grounded feeling of being a mere mortal trying to fight a dragon with a sword (not that it hurts the game too much though)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Schubalts posted:

The worst I saw was: Go to the deepest point of this one area, then look at this specific bloodstain that is indistinguishable from player bloodstains, in this specific spot. A mechanic that has never(?) been used any other time in the whole "series".

Oh yeah, that stood out to me too. Rogier's early stuff is very weird and disconnected in general.

2house2fly posted:

I don't remember if there's a way to actually die in that room, they may have been banking on people thinking "huh? Someone died in here? How? Did the [spoiler redacted] come alive and do something to them?" and looking at the bloodstain out of curiosity

That was my assumption as well, but realistically you're almost never not inundated with online stuff so I think overlooking it is understandable.

They made dev messages glow a bit more compared to player ones. Really just needed to make the bloodstain look a little non-standard too.

Though I guess circling around, there were a couple of messages specifically pointing to the bloodstain which helps.

In general messages in Elden Ring have been pretty incredible. Especially in dungeons where helpful sorts will clearly explain things like "here's the way forward, but go back and left for side stuff first" .

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Feb 7, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How is the UI on Rise? I tapped out of World pretty early because the screen was just way too busy

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I love the game, but if anything it's even worse about that. You can turn off individual UI elements if that helps, and if you're getting it on PC there are mods of course.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

I literally have the opposite complaint, that your wild, soaring movement kind of takes away from the humble, grounded feeling of being a mere mortal trying to fight a dragon with a sword (not that it hurts the game too much though)

It's basically a completely different game now. I wouldn't call it worse, other than some remnants of the old extreme uncancelable animation lock that should be cleaned up to be consistent, but it has a very different feel compared to how methodical it used to be. I'd like to see a game that played more like the pace of monster hunter tri because it feels like every action game just wants to get faster now.

I'm interested in wild hearts but from videos it definitely looks like it will be more MHR's pace.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

After Paper Mario, I started up Superstar Saga today. I love the game, but I'd forgotten it doesn't heal you/replenish special attack points when you level up. I really like that whole strategy of planning your item use around an upcoming level-up, not including it just feels rude :arghfist::smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Monster hunter rise having crippled mobility compared to world is an insane take lol

I did specify your base mobility. You run and dodge slow as hell. The alternative is using your dog and wirebug to get around much faster, which is kind of the core issue of my mobility complaints. In World, if you didn't like the clutch claw and what it brought to the table you could mostly ignore it, but you can't ignore the new silk stuff in rise because it pervades basically everything. Even basic bits of combat are outright replaced by new silkbind skills that have you zipping around and flailing, leaping, and going wild. And the downside to that, is that now the monsters all seem faster and more agile to keep up with the players being able to go faster and more agile. Like, I don't disagree that when you use all of the tools available to you, the game is more agile and mobile than World ever was. I can scoot across an arena in a second or two and leave a monster in the dust. But the inverse is that it feels like it left the more traditional style of gameplay in the dust as well, where if I try to play the game without using the wirebug and related mechanics it feels painfully slow and chunky compared to World where I could roll around and dodge between my attacks without much issues.

Someone above said you can add items to the item bar, which surprises me because I couldn't find out how anywhere in the game, and even google only told me that no, you can't, just use the radial menu. If there's some way to do it I'd love to know how.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kazil posted:

I went straight from World to Rise without a break and yeah, it can be pretty jarring. It's the slight changes that mess you up. That said, Rise is a fantastic game and worth adjusting to if you really liked World.

Rampages are rear end though.

It's like MH games are contractually obligated to have completely dogshit gimmicks taking up an unreasonable amount of time while being mandatory for progress. In World it's Zorah Magdaros missions, in Rise it's the loving Rampages. Just let me hunt monsters, that's literally what I'm here for. :argh:

But really the thing that drags down MH for me is that somehow my brain is broken in a way that I never quite click with any one of the weapons. Some are almost there, but I never can find one that has just the right amount of complexity for me. Longsword, Insect Glaive, and Gunlance are all almost there for me, but inevitably have something I get critically annoyed by before long. :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

I did specify your base mobility. You run and dodge slow as hell. The alternative is using your dog and wirebug to get around much faster, which is kind of the core issue of my mobility complaints. In World, if you didn't like the clutch claw and what it brought to the table you could mostly ignore it, but you can't ignore the new silk stuff in rise because it pervades basically everything. Even basic bits of combat are outright replaced by new silkbind skills that have you zipping around and flailing, leaping, and going wild. And the downside to that, is that now the monsters all seem faster and more agile to keep up with the players being able to go faster and more agile. Like, I don't disagree that when you use all of the tools available to you, the game is more agile and mobile than World ever was. I can scoot across an arena in a second or two and leave a monster in the dust. But the inverse is that it feels like it left the more traditional style of gameplay in the dust as well, where if I try to play the game without using the wirebug and related mechanics it feels painfully slow and chunky compared to World where I could roll around and dodge between my attacks without much issues.

Someone above said you can add items to the item bar, which surprises me because I couldn't find out how anywhere in the game, and even google only told me that no, you can't, just use the radial menu. If there's some way to do it I'd love to know how.

it's just your inventory OP

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Len posted:

it's just your inventory OP

It isn't though, I have stuff in my inventory I want to appear on my bar but the only items on my bar are things like the camera, literally none of the items I'd actually use on a hunt are showing up on it and none of the inventory options let you edit it as far as I can find.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Every time I try to like Rise it sucks. It feels incredibly shallow compared to World and has little to no tactile feedback on anything. (People say this is because its the "mobile" offering which ok maybe)

Why learn a map when you can just jump over everything? Environmental hazards? jump it. Monster flying away? So what you can fly too. The map might as well be flat for all it matters.

Id say that the one improvement it had was coop but literally every friend I had that played world bounced off Rise just as hard so even if the cutscene bullshit from world are gone so are all the people I played with.

Anyways its not just you that didnt like it

bobmagic
May 12, 2001

Nuebot posted:

It isn't though, I have stuff in my inventory I want to appear on my bar but the only items on my bar are things like the camera, literally none of the items I'd actually use on a hunt are showing up on it and none of the inventory options let you edit it as far as I can find.

I think by default left and right on the d-pad scroll your Action Bar (which has the camera, let me ride!, etc.) and lb+x/lb+b scroll your item bar which has the items in your pouch. There's an option in settings under either controls or gameplay to switch to using d-pad for the item bar instead - that might be what's tripping you up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bobmagic posted:

I think by default left and right on the d-pad scroll your Action Bar (which has the camera, let me ride!, etc.) and lb+x/lb+b scroll your item bar which has the items in your pouch. There's an option in settings under either controls or gameplay to switch to using d-pad for the item bar instead - that might be what's tripping you up.

:psyduck: why would anything ever work like this

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nuebot posted:

:psyduck: why would anything ever work like this

Because that is how it was before.

Now I only ever played the demo for a 3DS Monster Hunter game but I think it is precedent for this stuff. The real question is: how long has it been going on?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It's because it lets you scroll through your item bar while still using the left stick to move around.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

It's because it lets you scroll through your item bar while still using the left stick to move around.

I must be a mutant because I never had an issue tapping the d-pad while running around. But more specifically my confusion was why there was an item bar, but also an item bar for items you don't give a poo poo about. I guess one of them is called the action bar.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The way it was in the past, the lb+x/lb+b input was the only way to scroll through your items, since there was only one analog stick so the d-pad was needed for controlling the camera.

Personally, I went all in on the radial menu when they added that. I only use 2 or 3 low-priority items through the item bar.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Elden Ring's armor game is a bit odd. It's not like there's zero armor available in the early to mid game, but most of it tops out at broadly interchangeable medium stuff. Heavy stuff is basically nowhere to be seen outside of random drops. And even then, my inventory still feels rather empty compared to how fast you can accumulate whole sets in Dark Souls, probably because what whole sets are out there are only available through buying them off random merchants and I'm not going to buy what is clearly yet another light set I'll never use.

The heavy knight armor I got off an enemy in Limgrave within the first couple of hours is still the best all around chest armor I've got now at 30 hours in. Apparently there might be marginally better ones out there...that are also random drops from specific enemies. From tweaked, improved, overhauled, or otherwise changed so many things for the better, but I wish they'd do something about RNG drops. Not even necessarily remove them outright, but at least provide other avenues than just farming enemies and hoping for the best, because that poo poo bores me to numbness.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
armor doesn't do anything the best all around armor is going naked so you have more weight capacity to equip a giant sword

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

armor doesn't do anything

It's called fashion sweaty

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: I have only been able to fish for Magikarp and Tentacool with the old rod.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mamkute posted:

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: I have only been able to fish for Magikarp and Tentacool with the old rod.

Yeah the Old Rod is a constant in every Pokemon game that it basically only fishes up those two (or whatever the local equivalent is), I dunno what you expected.

"When I'm on Route 1 out of Pallet Town all I can catch are Rattata and Pidgeys".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, they expanded the Old Rod to Tentacools? drat, you kids are spoiled these days. Back in my day, we had to settle for Magikarps, and only level 5 Magikarps at that!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I decided to go on to Dead Space 2 after finishing up the first game's remake, and I'd forgotten how aggravating the weapon/armor upgrade trees could be in the old games. The way they designed them to have dead empty spaces along the way that you still had to use resources to unlock was always a stupid, frustrating decision. Making every slot upgrade something in the remake felt so natural that I forgot it was a change.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A lot of stealth games like Hitman, MGS and Splinter Cell have ways to disable or destroy surveillance cameras, which is cool and all, but how come nobody ever sends anyone to check on what happened to camera #22a in the east wing and investigate why the feed went out? Are all of them unmonitored?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of stealth games like Hitman, MGS and Splinter Cell have ways to disable or destroy surveillance cameras, which is cool and all, but how come nobody ever sends anyone to check on what happened to camera #22a in the east wing and investigate why the feed went out? Are all of them unmonitored?

Satellite Reign actually does send guards to check the area if a camera is destroyed.

I don't think I've ever destroyed a camera in a Hitman game, I just always stole the footage instead. I think this is the first I've heard that you CAN destroy the cameras in those games.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

In Hitman destroying the tape is the same as never being seen by a camera so presumably they are not being actively monitored.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
NOLF triggered alarms if you destroyed cameras, unless you previously sabotaged the alarm system. However, there was a camera disabling gadget you could take into missions (in limited quantities). It required getting close to the camera undetected, and physically attaching the spoofing device:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
On the hardest difficulty in Hitman cameras are sometimes actively monitored so that if you are caught on camera then a guard will be dispatched.

But NPCs don't react to camera or security system destruction unless they are already nearby.

Destroying cameras is good on some levels where you need to do it to get the security system or where you only need to destroy a few cameras and the security system is out of the way. Or for certain challenges/rewards.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Feb 9, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phigs posted:

In Hitman destroying the tape is the same as never being seen by a camera so presumably they are not being actively monitored.

Except the area where you do that is clearly a monitoring a station.

Randalor posted:

I don't think I've ever destroyed a camera in a Hitman game, I just always stole the footage instead. I think this is the first I've heard that you CAN destroy the cameras in those games.

You can shoot them but can't be seen doing it of course

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

orcane posted:

NOLF triggered alarms if you destroyed cameras, unless you previously sabotaged the alarm system. However, there was a camera disabling gadget you could take into missions (in limited quantities). It required getting close to the camera undetected, and physically attaching the spoofing device:

Oh man I haven't thought about NOLF in a long time, I think the last time I played it was when I was 15? I remember it being really good, does it hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I know Hitman Blood Money had NPCs checking out destroyed cameras if they were watching the feed. It's probably in a lot more stealth games than you think just because you are often not hanging around after destroying the camera.

Continuing on the Hitman series, the new Freelancer mode for the latest one highlights a problem I've had with the entire trilogy: The maps are too big, it mostly works in the story missions since there are a lot of optional challenges spread around, even if some stuff seems to be there just for other modes. But in Freelancer mode where you starting point and the target are randomized it gets pretty annoying having to go around finding them, especially on showdown mission were you don't even know which of the multiple suspects are your targets. So for example figuring out which of your 6 suspects is the actual target when spread out over a military compound , an embassy, a thriving marketplace and all the back alleys in between gets really annoying, especially since you only have one shot and can't save. And a lot of the time you have to get all up in their face to see if they have the required earing, because you have to check both ears and they can be really tiny, and then you have to follow them to see if they are a smoker or not, so it's lot like you can do this from a distance, you actually have to run around an entire level.