Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Scarodactyl posted:

South Carolina, nervously looking over its shoulder and whispering:
N...

N.

Nebraska

It's Ohio, and it's because of Ohioans going to Myrtle Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

New Ford F-150 design just dropped.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

piL posted:

New Ford F-150 design just dropped.

It's a child! :kiddo:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

At this point, they're hardly useful as trucks anymore. Daddy just doesn't want to drive a minivan or sedan but still needs a four-door to haul the kids sometimes.

My Sonata has more carrying capacity than many of these. I fold down the rear seat and I can fit 8 foot lumber and still close the trunk lid.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Are the bed actually get shorter or the whole thing getting longer?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Xenoborg posted:

Doesn't matter, either way. Here at Procrustes Auto Mall, we'll find a truck bed that fits you!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's kind of a specious graph. The oldest one pictured is a two-door with a full length bed while the last one is a four-door crew cab with the short bed. You can still buy a two-door F-150 with an 8 foot bed today. It is larger than the old F-150, but the ratio of cab to bed is about the same as always.

However, it is absolutely true that back in the 70s everyone was buying the full bed two door and now everyone is buying the crew cab truckivan with the piddly little five foot bed. The only place you'll encounter the one I posted above is fleets of work trucks for utility companies and stuff.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Feb 6, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Xenoborg posted:

Using this site for data, the overall length of the base model jumped in the late 90s but hasn't really gotten much longer since then:

1992-96: 197"
1997-2003: 207"
2004-2008: 211"
2009-2014: 213"
2015-2020: 209"
2021-2023: 209"

The bigger cabs are much more common nowadays though, and those add 2-3 feet, though they'll often have the bed that's a foot shorter.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think the misleading part of that graph is particularly the fact that all the trucks are scaled to be the same size. Although I concede it is possible that every single generation of F150 has been exactly the same length, somehow I doubt it.

EDIT: I realize this is probably a "gee thanks tips" reply after the last couple of replies. Trucks are obviously getting monstrously large and it's a real problem. You see a lot of stuff like this these days:

Which is pretty scary when you think about it. They're also not even trying to hide the fact that they aren't utility vehicles anymore. A relative of mine gets a new leased work truck every couple of years and the one he just got is some brand-new 2023 GMC. It's obscene how big the cab interior is; I asked someone sitting behind me if they wanted more legroom because I couldn't reach the firewall with my feet and that's unusual, but they were fine. They're luxury vehicles with ad campaigns that make you feel like a big tough guy for driving one.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Feb 6, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol yeah, my dad's quad cab has roomier rear seats than my own SUV. At least he gets some real use out of it, but he also just likes driving out regularly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

They're also not even trying to hide the fact that they aren't utility vehicles anymore.

They're luxury vehicles with ad campaigns that make you feel like a big tough guy for driving one.

"Redneck limousines." You can option out an F-150 to over $100,000 these days.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a beaten up 2007 ranger that I use as a utility truck and I have loaned it a few times to friends who have access 202x megatrucks. Whether it's bed size, or they don't want to put dirt/wood in the back, or to take it to the dump.... lol

Oh also my dad has a 199x GMC pickup and one of his friends has a 2022 Jeep Gladiator and he borrows my dad's truck all of the time, too - in that case the excuse is "I need to haul firewood and I don't want to break the decorative LEDs in the Gladiator's bed."

:d2a:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

"Redneck limousines." You can option out an F-150 to over $100,000 these days.

Must be all that MILITARY-GRADE ALUMINUM

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The other day, I was driving at night and got mad that someone had their high-beams on in traffic. . . but when they pulled up next to me, I could see they were a huge pickup truck, and saw their headlights shining on the car in front of them, and I realized that they were actually low-beams, but the headlights themselves were almost as high up as the roof of my car, capable of blinding me even at low-beam.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I have a beaten up 2007 ranger that I use as a utility truck and I have loaned it a few times to friends who have access 202x megatrucks. Whether it's bed size, or they don't want to put dirt/wood in the back, or to take it to the dump.... lol

Oh also my dad has a 199x GMC pickup and one of his friends has a 2022 Jeep Gladiator and he borrows my dad's truck all of the time, too - in that case the excuse is "I need to haul firewood and I don't want to break the decorative LEDs in the Gladiator's bed."

:d2a:

Given how many times at work a customer loses their absolute poo poo because their rhino lining got scratched it's more likely not wanting to mess up their shiny toys.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
"Pavement Princess" is the term for those kind of trucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I cannot begin to imagine driving anything bigger than a medium sized hatchback.

I get that the US is apparently built for boat sized trucks everywhere but where I live you wouldn't be able to drive it anywhere because it wouldn't fit on the roads.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cernunnos posted:

I thought those were trucks that would receive oral but never reciprocate

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

I've also heard "air hauler" because that's the only load they ever carry.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bro dozer's another good one

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Must be all that MILITARY-GRADE ALUMINUM

Oh no, I think you'll find the F-150 is made of, woke, wussy aluminum, and you'll need to find a Chevy made out of SUBMARINE GRADE STEEL if you want a real truck.

https://youtu.be/7X8EEn8EStM

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's great is that "military grade" is not in fact a good thing, except it's probably not military grade anyway because it isn't nearly carcinogenic enough. If resting my hand on the hood doesn't cause infertility and heavy metal poisoning, no branch of the military will ever want anything to do with it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"military grade" means that it's hard for a bored 18 year old private to destroy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ultrafilter posted:

"military grade" means that it's hard for a bored 18 year old private to destroy.

Not impossible, mind you.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not impossible, mind you.

Well yeah, they are often equipped with military grade tools too, so it becomes a unstoppable force vs unmovable object scenario.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DontMockMySmock posted:

The other day, I was driving at night and got mad that someone had their high-beams on in traffic. . . but when they pulled up next to me, I could see they were a huge pickup truck, and saw their headlights shining on the car in front of them, and I realized that they were actually low-beams, but the headlights themselves were almost as high up as the roof of my car, capable of blinding me even at low-beam.

Yea this is a real problem all the time now. I drive a Forester, so not a low sitting car, and I still get blinded by people’s low beams. Either it’s super tall cars, or people just don’t know how to aim their headlights.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea this is a real problem all the time now. I drive a Forester, so not a low sitting car, and I still get blinded by people’s low beams. Either it’s super tall cars, or people just don’t know how to aim their headlights.

And then you get people like my coworker whose boyfriend bought her new, brighter blue headlights for Christmas, installed them himself, and intentionally angled them up "because she can't see well at night and it helps her". On an SUV.

I hate both of them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SkyeAuroline posted:

And then you get people like my coworker whose boyfriend bought her new, brighter blue headlights for Christmas, installed them himself, and intentionally angled them up "because she can't see well at night and it helps her". On an SUV.

I hate both of them.

I thought I didn't like the death penalty

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Our friend was dating a guy who bought a giant lifted pickup and at first she was concerned that he got it to impress women but invariably he only gets approached by 40-something dads who want to congratulate him for it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SkyeAuroline posted:

Those will not pass safety inspection, I guess, assuming she lives in one of the states who have that. Which seems pretty unlikely, now that I googled that.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Those will not pass safety inspection, I guess, assuming she lives in one of the states who have that. Which seems pretty unlikely, now that I googled that.

No mandatory inspections besides emissions here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

There's a website called carsized that compares cars side by side to show the differences. It doesn't have the current 3/4 ton GMs, but i'm sure their headlights are higher than the roof of my car.

https://www.carsized.com/en/

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Powershift posted:

There's a website called carsized that compares cars side by side to show the differences. It doesn't have the current 3/4 ton GMs, but i'm sure their headlights are higher than the roof of my car.

that's a cool website

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

:stonklol:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

you/the guy she told you not to worry about

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely looks like someone set the scale wrong in a video game.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Dear god. I've never seen an F150 in real life, or anything really like it, but using that comparison site I'm glad I don't have to share the road with cars like that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
*laughs in DFW*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah my car is the same length as the cab on the f150 and as high as the top of the bed lol.

And yet half of it is still storage, you put the back seats down and you can get loads in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've gotten a lot of loads in once I take down the back seats. Big help when your mom's visiting.

NHTSA rules mean out of the factory the headlights should be angled below the eyeline of a normal person in a normal car.

People in big dumb cars then get the suspension lifted, install aftermarket headlights and angle them upwards or other dumb poo poo that is generally ignored by inspections or traffic cops unless you're a minority.