Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Holy heck, I'm way behind on the thread.

Anyway,

Nancy 1943

2/5

2/6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (June 25-27, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (August 30-September 1, 1920)

Tonight's installment of the trolley people is brought to you by the Educator Shoe. Because there'll be plenty of opportunities to screw up your feet when you're an adult.

Dok's "Can't Even Get Arrested In This Town" Duck (July 26, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 27-29, 1937)

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I don’t have any comment other than Jesus Christ Kevin & Kell

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

okay, i guess for some reason this is just a joke about door knockers rather than uber eats for two insectivores.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Not a fan of Pogo and never will be, but I’ve been loving Archie and this one is a real humdinger! Thanks for posting it :)

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

good to see you again!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

She's a pushy parent being pushy. She'll probably learn the error of her ways, or maybe not, it's Mary Worth.

Olden Days Mary Worth was even more of a shithead than Modern Mary. Odds are good she's going to make the teenager learn to quit disappointing her horrible mom.

NVTrainee posted:

Sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. What's her name, Megan? I hate her. Constantly digging into Dustin with her awful wisecracks whenever he has an interest of doing something or looking for jobs when she hasn't ever expressed interest in getting a job of her own while she's old enough to actually get one herself (as far as I remember)?

If I dealt with a person like that for a long time, I'd punch them in the face. I know it's a bit extreme but she's the worst.

What's-her-face is Dustin's kid sister. She is still in high school and has not yet discovered how much the real world sucks for young people today.

She is also a disgusting toady for the parents. She sucks big time.

Luann

HEY BRAIN GENIUSES. HAVE YOU TRIED THE TOTALLY CLEVER AND SNEAKY PLAN OF OPENING YOUR loving MOUTHS AND SAYING "HEY TIFF IT'S BEEN COOL HAVING YOU AROUND, BUT NOW THAT YOU'RE ALL BETTER LES WOULD LIKE HIS ROOM BACK. ARE YOU GOING TO GO BACK TO THE DORM OR TO YOUR MANSION OR...."?

Gil Thorp

Home Free

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 20, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 30-31, 1992)

Big Nate

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I really hope this Crabgrass arc really is Kevin Is Actually Pretty Goddamn Smart And That's Awesome. We need some of that to offset the "hurf blurf my kids are lazy idiots unlike me, boomer mom/dad" comics.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City
How is there still anyone alive who doesn't know that "sushi is raw fish" is incorrect?

somepartsareme posted:

Wasn't the boat explosion from her first Mark Trail arc? Or was that a reference to another famous Mark Trail boat explosion?
The latter, I believe.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Lynda Barry is a national treasure. Right on.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
God, everyone in Luann is such an awful person

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

A "SCAG!"

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 06, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Mike gets caught woolgathering, or Clum meets with an old friend..., or a journalist not actually reporting the truth and letting their prejudice blind them from what is actually happening?! Say it ain't so!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 30-31, 1992)

Come on Calvin's mom he's handing you a way to keep him busy on a silver platter and all it'd cost you is some scrap wood.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

[Setsubun is a festival held at the beginning of Spring. A traditional ritual of which is mamamaki, bean-throwing, where evil spirits are chased out of the house by people throwing beans, either out the door or at someone dressed up as an evil spirit who flees the house - typically either the male head of the household, or someone who was born on this year's zodiac (this year is the rabbit!)]

Funnily enough its the year of the cat according to my inlaws.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

How is there still anyone alive who doesn't know that "sushi is raw fish" is incorrect?
Wait, isn't fish used in sushi/sashimi literally raw fish (unless it's been specifically cooked/blowtorched, of course)? I mean, filleted and all, but nevertheless? Or did you mean "alive" instead of "raw" there?

B. Virtanen

ANSU

No ring, christ what an rear end in a top hat etc

Fingerpori

I don't get the reference, to my shame

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hempuli posted:

Wait, isn't fish used in sushi/sashimi literally raw fish (unless it's been specifically cooked/blowtorched, of course)? I mean, filleted and all, but nevertheless? Or did you mean "alive" instead of "raw" there?

I think "sushi" technically refers to the rice.

NVTrainee posted:

So, what's the thread consensus on Prince Valiant lately? I remember many threads ago that it was more negative, but it could've been different people talking about it opposed to now. Compared to other comic strips, the art is gorgeous and I love the weekly story updates.

It's probably not for everyone, but I'm a fan of low-magic fantasy and historical fiction so it's right up my alley. The old strips by Hal Foster have some of the best art ever featured in a newspaper. The modern strip isn't as good but it also lacks the old strips' weird 1950s-isms, and I do think the modern team does a good job.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 28, 1955)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NVTrainee posted:

So, what's the thread consensus on Prince Valiant lately? I remember many threads ago that it was more negative, but it could've been different people talking about it opposed to now. Compared to other comic strips, the art is gorgeous and I love the weekly story updates.

It is the best long form cartoon ever put on paper and I will die before I let it fall from this thread.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Funnily enough its the year of the cat according to my inlaws.

Apparently that's true for Vietnamese zodiac (and maybe some others). TIL

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I know our chief was an rear end in a top hat but he *died*.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Hippocrass posted:

I know our chief was an rear end in a top hat but he *died*.

Such a shame he fell down those stairs directly onto fifteen knives.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hempuli posted:

Sashimi is raw fish. Sushi is a category of foods based around rice, often wrapped (with other ingredients) in seaweed. Raw fish is a common ingredient but not universal - cooked fish or just vegetables are also pretty common.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

There's an old joke that a camel is "a horse designed by a committee." Maybe something similar here?

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/6/03

Brenda Starr 5/11-13/50

Smokey Stover 10/19/52

Everyday Movies 1/29/36

"Sure it's clam chowder, can't ya see the thyme in it?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/10-12/40

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

What the gently caress? :stare:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:golfclap:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Selachian posted:

Does Scarlet just not have a day job or even friends that would be surprised that she just dissappear for weeks or months at a time because she just keeps chaining adventures and never calls home?

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Not a repeat ;)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
real golden age The Creeps content.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 28, 1955)

Dangerous woods at night. Easy to slip and fall onto a knife.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

I want Scarlet to go back to blinding con artists and saving children from burning buildings. This arc is shaping up to be really dreadful.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

I like this so much that I'm ignoring how this poem does not scan. like at all.

Heart of the City

Curtis

somepartsareme posted:

Wasn't the boat explosion from her first Mark Trail arc? Or was that a reference to another famous Mark Trail boat explosion? They bring up the boat a lot but no one talks about how Mark blew up a police helicopter in that arc too iirc

The famous boat explosion was in James Allen's first arc, that was also the arc where Mark straight-up kills a scuba diver by cutting his oxygen hose with a fishing spear. I remember how excited the thread was for this new incarnation of Mark Trail, 80s action hero. And how quickly that fell off.

Similarly, I think Jules had Mark doing stuff (and talking to animals) initially too (and maybe that's when he blew up the helicoptor?) If she had a boat explosion, I don't remember it, but they've been referencing the initial JamesAllen boatsplosion since like, week one.

I can't explain why Bizarro makes me so angry but it sucks and I hate it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vargo posted:

I can't explain why Bizarro makes me so angry but it sucks and I hate it.

bizarro is the version of the far side that exists inside the funky winkerbean universe

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jules would never honor Jamesallen, Mark caused a boatload of fireworks to explode in the first storyline where he made up with his estranged dad. It's real touching, the first major plothole in New Trail where Mark almost literally steps off camera and teleports away from Florida and all consequences as though it was a Peter vs Giant Chicken gag on Family Guy.

I assume Mark's dad just murdered the clear and present eye witness Mark was fighting in that boat. :allears:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kazinsal posted:

I really hope this Crabgrass arc really is Kevin Is Actually Pretty Goddamn Smart And That's Awesome. We need some of that to offset the "hurf blurf my kids are lazy idiots unlike me, boomer mom/dad" comics.

I feel like it's a dream sequence at this point, probably starting after Miles asked his mom how to deal with it (then going to sleep off screen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

There's an old joke that goes: "how do you recognize a Soviet rear end buzzer? It doesn't buzz and it doesn't fit in the rear end". The joke being that a lot of the stuff coming out of the Soviet Union was insanely badly designed and barely functional. And of course a lot of the stuff there was badly made knockoffs of Western stuff, so it could also be that?

e:

Selachian posted:

There's an old joke that a camel is "a horse designed by a committee." Maybe something similar here?

Or possibly this.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 7, 2023