Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

A month ago, a raccoon managed to break into the large lean-to where the chickens live in winter. It was the middle of the night and it had killed the roosters (both bantams) before we got in and took it out. One of the roosters was actually quite old (I want to say around 8?) but the other was an accidental acquisition with last spring's new chicks. We were pretty sad about it, even though they died as bravely and with as much honor as a tiny rooster can.

The next morning there was crowing in the lean-to.

The biggest of our new Ameraucanas has been crowing every morning since, and has recently started sprouting enormous tailfeathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One dies, another is Chosen.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Hooray, my chickens are finally laying eggs! But they keep kicking all the shavings out of the nest boxes, boo! I don't think it's a comfort issue, they just seem to like hopping in and kicking all the shavings out, looking for bugs or something I guess.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

PerniciousKnid posted:

Hooray, my chickens are finally laying eggs! But they keep kicking all the shavings out of the nest boxes, boo! I don't think it's a comfort issue, they just seem to like hopping in and kicking all the shavings out, looking for bugs or something I guess.

Nest making can result in much kicking of sawdust, plumes of it at times. Everything has to be just right and digging and kicking are all parts of it. Just keep topping the nests up.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Explosionface posted:

We got our fluffy-headed visitor rehomed last night. We were sad to see her go, but since we're on the no chicken list, she definitely had to go. Of course, about half an hour later, we found out where she really came from. I'm pretty sure she went to a better home, to be honest. She seemed to have some minor neglect issues so I wonder if she really had a good home to start with.

One detail I left out: we shared contact information between the original owners and the rehome owners we found, letting them sort it out as they see fit. The rehomers agreed to return her home. I may have been a little tough on the original owners, as they then left this for us:

Apparently her name is Taz. :unsmith:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Explosionface posted:

One detail I left out: we shared contact information between the original owners and the rehome owners we found, letting them sort it out as they see fit. The rehomers agreed to return her home. I may have been a little tough on the original owners, as they then left this for us:

Apparently her name is Taz. :unsmith:
:3: i hope this incident teaches them to appreciate her

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We haven't shared it anywhere on here yet, but the day we lost Kylo, Dienes found this little guy in our bushes out back, which was a weird coincidence (felt like the universe trying to balance out our loss).

We had the quail hospital cage, but he was clearly unhappy in a bare cage with no perches (especially with that long tail), so she picked up a quick jungle gym and some toys we could give to the quail after since they love mirrors and bells.

He was a chill little bird. Last night he seemed to have finally settled in and started making happy chirps and whistles while I was cooking.

But there's a happy ending! We had called vets and posted in various places to find his family. This morning Dienes got a message on Nextdoor and was able to confirm this is their bird. He's back with his family and everyone is so happy :3:

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 3, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Nest making can result in much kicking of sawdust, plumes of it at times. Everything has to be just right and digging and kicking are all parts of it. Just keep topping the nests up.

Problem is they're emptying the next box before I've even gotten back into the house, so I might as well not have bedding at all. I'm thinking about stapling some curtains over the opening to maybe catch some of it.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

this thread is always a rollercoaster. that budgie is absolutely gorgeous bvv, i'm so glad you found their owners. joburg, i desperately hope your luck turns around from here on in. i cannot even imagine how it must have felt to lose your entire flock. you did the right thing, but what an awful thing to have to do. :( may it never happen to you again, or to any of us.

my own personal tragedy is that all four of my ancona chicks turned out to be roosters! they have all gone on to happy homes.

on a brighter note, this dignified meringue is doing okay and actually seems to be walking better than she was a few months ago. i don't expect a full recovery, but if she makes it to three (her birthday is in may) i'll be happy. the others still treat her with great respect despite her weakened condition, she's a special little bird.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
BIRD HACK: let them run around your toilet

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...
I can barely handle the absolute sweetness of all the baby peeps being posted.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Our little Sky was taken to the vet this morning (she was due a new implant on Friday, but this morning was looking very unwell).

Basically, due to her upper cross beak her sinuses aren't able to clear on one side and it had backed up something awful. So Sky was sedated and her sinuses cleaned out (won't show the photo of all the gunk that came out :nms: ). A couple of x-rays also showed gaps in her skull, one below the eye and the other on the upper beak, which seems why her beak is curved over.

She's home with loxicom and baytril, twice a day and looking like she's been in a fight.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Poor Sky! I wish her a speedy recovery, sinus troubles are just the pits!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

spookygonk posted:

Our little Sky was taken to the vet this morning (she was due a new implant on Friday, but this morning was looking very unwell).
praying for the baby :( thank you for taking such good care of her

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Hopefully Sky recovers very quickly!

We have our own quail in the recovery cage. They all graduated to outside on Saturday and one managed to wedge itself behind the big feeder somehow? Thankfully we were checking on them frequently and caught it before we had another Kylo on our hands, but I noticed that they didn't want to walk on their left foot.

They seem to be recovering well, though! Soon they can go back outside with the rest of the flock again.

EDIT: When we brought them out we went one by one and took photos and clipped wing feathers, if anyone wants to see the new batch: https://imgur.com/gallery/A2FSuzh

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What a lovely bunch!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^Sky deserves piles of live mealworms.

Okay guys, I need some advice, here. I don't want Chickam to be another chick deathfest this year. I've taken the ReptiPro apart and cleaned a LOT of dust out of it's innards, and I'm hoping that had something to do with the dismal chick survival rate the last couple of years.

I'm looking for recommendations for a temperature alarm I can use with my ReptiPro 6000 incubator. The alarm should have a probe that goes inside the incubator, and I'd *like* to get one accurate to +/- one degree, and can track drops/spikes in temperature. I see lots of charting thermometers that are upwards of $400...anyone know of a good one under $100?

I was looking for something like this: https://www.thomassci.com/Instruments/Digital-Thermometers/_/Thomas-Traceable-Big-Digit-Four-Alarm-Thermometers

Annoying backstory:

My little ReptiPro 6000 incubator has worked like a champ since 2013...except for the last two years. While embryo development has remained stable, my hatch rate has plummeted, and I'm getting at-term chicks dead in shell and chicks that hatch and then die. Last spring, out of 29 eggs I got 18 embryos, 6 hatched, 2 lived. I got similar results the year before. I DON'T depend on the ReptiPro controls for temperature, instead I have a seperate hygrometer and a Spot Check probe thermometer (used with a water weasel) to get accurate 'inside the egg' temperatures.

One thing--I'm hatching at a high altitude--4,751 feet--which I already know puts a ding in my hatch rate because of low air pressure and a difference in eggshell pore size. But I've been hatching here, using this same equipment, since 2013, and only in the last couple of years has my hatch/living chick rate declined so badly.

Here's what my current setup looks like:

Any advice or help would be REALLY appreciated, thanks!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a temperature alarm I can use with my ReptiPro 6000 incubator. The alarm should have a probe that goes inside the incubator, and I'd *like* to get one accurate to +/- one degree, and can track drops/spikes in temperature. I see lots of charting thermometers that are upwards of $400...anyone know of a good one under $100?

Not quite under $100, but maybe a smoker setup could work? ThermoWorks (not ThermoPro) is basically the standard for professional cooks. Not sure if this will do everything you want but there's a lot on their site.

https://www.thermoworks.com/smoke-x/

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Tricky Ed posted:

Not quite under $100, but maybe a smoker setup could work? ThermoWorks (not ThermoPro) is basically the standard for professional cooks. Not sure if this will do everything you want but there's a lot on their site.

https://www.thermoworks.com/smoke-x/

Now, SEE--I *never* would have thought to check out BBQ equipment! But there seems to be several of these to choose from, so I'll check it out, THANK YOU!
And if I find something to properly cook my chicken eggs to completed chicks on a *BBQ site*, I'll die laughing.
I just need something that'll scream at me if the temperature drops below 98 degrees or goes over 100.5. Tracking any drops/spikes would be a bonus.

EDIT--I just calibrated all of my existing assorted digital thermometers/hygrometers. The Spot Check probe is dead on, the temp feature for the digital hygrometer/thermometer (which I only use for the hygrometer) is only low by .4 degrees.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 8, 2023

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have used a couple of Govee thermometer hygrometers and the alarm function (through the app) is really hit or miss but the charting is ok. They are pretty inexpensive too.
https://a.co/d/7lQPmoM

E: fixed my link code

Joburg fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 8, 2023

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i also have a Govee (for the coop) and yeah, the alarm only works in Bluetooth range. maybe there's a better way i am not aware of

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hello my wife has been really into getting chickens lately so she got a coop and some chickens and they came today and here they are enjoy the chickens

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Our injured quail has recovered and rejoined their siblings outside!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Hello my wife has been really into getting chickens lately so she got a coop and some chickens and they came today and here they are enjoy the chickens

nice chickens, what are their names?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I am currently enjoying the chickens.

Thank you.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Thank you i enjoyed the chickens and would like to know the name of the white one with the gold head thanks in advance

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

You appear to have become infested with two Rhode Island Reds, a Barred Plymouth Rock, and an Americaunas. Congratulations.
Welcome to the Dark Side, BTW...Morehens Disease isn't far behind. :v:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We had Rhode Island Reds when I was a kid in Massachusetts. I hope my mom has some photos she can send me, I loved those birds.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

City of Glompton posted:

nice chickens, what are their names?

Light red is Stacy, darker red is Death Valley, black and white is Henrietta and gray is Estelle.

(subject to change)

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 9, 2023

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

those are great name (i share a name with one of the haha) :henget:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

City of Glompton posted:

those are great name (i share a name with one of the haha) :henget:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Light red is Stacy, darker red is Death Valley, black and white is Henrietta and gray is Estelle.
Great names for adorable chickens.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So I've been seeing this whole "They're putting something in or leaving something out of the feed and my chickens stopped laying!" thing for a while. Not surprisingly, the people saying it don't really show any proof except "Mine stopped, I changed feed and they started back up", with others saying "Yup". Some claim it's this feed from Purina, another says Tractor Supply. Not surprisingly, they all also seem to be into "Our borders are open!" and "They're weaponizing our food supply to control the population! Gates! Sorts! NWO!"

I just get the layer pellets at the local feed n tractor store, and my girls have been plopping out eggs. No problem, even with the shorter days.

I'm 99.99% sure this is just some chemtrails level, uncle works at Sony bullshit. Has anyone else run into this?

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i left our local chicken FB group because they are completely in thrall to that conspiracy bullshit

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Can't believe chickens stopped laying during a very cold time in the year. This must be a conspiracy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is also about the time chickens bought at the start of covid might start slowing down their production naturally.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
anybody else's birds been leaving white stuff that smells like poo poo around their enclosures? i'm thinking it's some kind of solid chemtrail

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

City of Glompton posted:

i left our local chicken FB group because they are completely in thrall to that conspiracy bullshit

I called it a right wing conspiracy and got deleted for mentioning politics, thanks liberals.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Death Valley has been renamed Redneck, I’m sorry. But this still made me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Death Valley has been renamed Redneck, I’m sorry. But this still made me lol

Death Valley is actually a pretty perfect name for a Rhodie...:derp: