Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm unfortunately deeply terrible at 3D platformers :(

deep dish peat moss posted:

Try the demo for Tactical Nexus.

It's a dangerously addictive game for the right kind of gamerbrain and probably something that everyone without that type of gamerbrain would hate. You have to deal with some janky translation, but it is That: The Game. I can't even begin to do it justice with an explanation but every level is cleverly designed in a way where there's a buttload of objectives and you're trying to develop the most efficient route through the levels and enemies to check them all off the list - you get metaprogression upgrades from each completed level and those upgrades allow you to go back to previous levels with a stronger start, which then in turn reveals to you that there's exponentially more content in each level, in such a way that every level you complete adds a ton of new content to every other level and :psyduck:

The DLC structure looks weird at first because the prices are strange and go up with every new DLC but that's because each DLC not only adds new content of its own, but it further expands the content of every single other level from the base game and from every other DLC you own, it's wild. The devs are insane visionaries (the game is written in an old BASIC-derived language called Hot Soup Processor which is used to teach elementary school students how to program in Japan) and their vision includes the DLC eventually reaching a point where it costs $100+ each. But the DLC is not at all required, you will simply but it like an addict as soon as you complete the main game (which will probably take months if not years) :hmmyes:

The demo has an absolutely ludicrous amount of content IIRC and I definitely recommend starting with it, because it's a very niche game that's hard to recommend as a blind purchase. But if it's your kind of jam, it is Digital Crack.

I played the demo and it seems fun, kind of gives me nostalgia for Desktop Dungeons. But I have to admit, the whole "the full game will cost hundreds of dollars and constitute 10,000 hours of gameplay also buy it now because we're going to raise the price every few months!!!" spiel on Steam is pretty intimidating :stare: I don't get much time to play games these days, which is part of why I like the lots of objectives mechanic - I can play for thirty minutes, cross off one or two more of them and feel like I've made some progress. I have to really like a game to put more than, say, 50 hours into it.

Still, I've wishlisted it and will look into it if it goes on sale!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Homeworld was remastered; I'd try that, especially considering you have one chill weekend and it might be nice to play some of a game you've already beaten so it's easier to put down unfinished if necessary.

Just don't put your fighters on evasive expecting them to scatter into pairs :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

cmndstab posted:

I'm unfortunately deeply terrible at 3D platformers :(

Have you tried any of the Lego games? They're absolutely what you're looking for. Yes, they're 3D platformers, but they're very forgiving. My personal favorite is Lego City Undercover.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Recently got the itch to go back and play old school Star Wars Battlefront 2 for the Galactic Conquest mode and was wondering if y’all had any recs for something similar? GC is a fairly basic example of this, but something that combines fun action gameplay (doesn’t necessarily have to be a shooter) with some kind of strategy gameplay sitting on top of and influenced by it. Like maybe some kinda 4X game with less emphasis on the grand strategy part but more involved action/combat.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Recently got the itch to go back and play old school Star Wars Battlefront 2 for the Galactic Conquest mode and was wondering if y’all had any recs for something similar? GC is a fairly basic example of this, but something that combines fun action gameplay (doesn’t necessarily have to be a shooter) with some kind of strategy gameplay sitting on top of and influenced by it. Like maybe some kinda 4X game with less emphasis on the grand strategy part but more involved action/combat.

Consider Mount and Blade (either modded Warband or the newest Bannerlord) or Starsector which is Mount and Blade but spaceships. Starsector is sold on its own website, will eventually come to Steam when its development is complete, but it is essentially feature complete except for the finishing touches on its story missions.

Also consider Dynasty Warriors: Empires, which is musou combat over a strategic map of China.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Valkyria Chronicles might fit. It's sort of a hybrid of turn-based tactics and shooter where you select your units to use one at a time, but then guide them through their turns as a sort of real-time shooter. It's got a demo for you to try.

Shadow of Mordor can kind of give you a feel like that, since you're killing/dominating your way through orc leaders to get to their high commanders. The actual strategy side of things tends to be pretty shallow though.

I've heard things about Last Federation having a big wide scale strategic side of things despite you only ever directly controlling the one spaceship, but I've never been able to really make heads or tails of it. I've also heard about Dragon Commander, but I know even less about that.

Mount and Blade and maybe its mods are probably the simplest option to get into, although I've never been a fan of the whole kinda janky FPS melee thing. The idea of marching around your own army to get into fights is really interesting though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

If a TBS is of interest, Age of Wonders: Planetfall's Empire mode. Or Age of Wonders IV which is coming out in a couple months.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Battlezone '98 Redux is action gameplay plus strategy, but much more combined than Galactic Conquest.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Recently got my rear end kicked pretty bad, need something to help pass the time as I heal. Something that doesn't require reflexes, I can play with one hand, and ideally a chill atmosphere. (I know about Vampire Survivors)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sankara posted:

Recently got my rear end kicked pretty bad, need something to help pass the time as I heal. Something that doesn't require reflexes, I can play with one hand, and ideally a chill atmosphere. (I know about Vampire Survivors)

Wildermyth? Turn-based, playable with mouse only, has a lot of content.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Appreciate all the recommendations, y'all! Youtubing these suckers as we speak.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Chamale posted:

Wildermyth? Turn-based, playable with mouse only, has a lot of content.

Looks cute! Thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sankara posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you ever played plants vs zombies? Super cute, not taxing. I was replaying it today when I was in a bit of a funk.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sankara posted:

That sucks!

Swing by the VS thread maybe, VS-alikes are a whole genre now and it might be worth asking for the current best(s) in show.

Pretty much any mouse-controlled turn based strategy game would probably suit you if that's a genre you're into. Similarly Monster Train or other card clickers.

If you have a switch there was a bunch of recommendations starting here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...h#post528520559

Some general advice, take it easy with your arm and take regular breaks. It's very common after a hand or arm injury to overuse the other arm and end up with an RSI or worse, doubly so if you're on painkillers for the injury and can't hear your body telling you to take it easy.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've been playing Project Wingman over the week and I really want to play more jet games but in a real world setting rather than alternate reality earth. Are there any cold war/iraq war jet games?

I know there's war thunder but I'm not really into the mmo aspect of it. I'm looking for more of a story based/historical kind of game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've been playing Project Wingman over the week and I really want to play more jet games but in a real world setting rather than alternate reality earth. Are there any cold war/iraq war jet games?

I know there's war thunder but I'm not really into the mmo aspect of it. I'm looking for more of a story based/historical kind of game.

Uh, it's a big leap from Project Wingman or Ace Combat, but the only good jet games in a genuinely real world setting are the various DCS campaigns, but that's a full on flight sim. Best one there is the Raven One campaign for the F/A-18 Hornet. Ace Combats Assault Horizon and Joint Assault are set in the real world, but don't follow any historical conflict.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh thanks. That Ace Combat game looks great. Might be a be a bit old but if it's on sale for $5 I might grab it.

What about helicopter games? I loved me some LHX Attack Helicopter when I was little.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I can only think of the old Commanche games, or, again, DCS.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I was surprised when I went to look at recent action/war games that aren't FPS' that's there's hardly any - unless you're one of those tank weirdos.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I was surprised when I went to look at recent action/war games that aren't FPS' that's there's hardly any - unless you're one of those tank weirdos.

Waves of Steel came out last week* and is an action war game that takes place in the real world...kind of. It's doing alt-history and also has what can be best described as a loose relationship with reality.

* Disclaimer: I made it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Waves of Steel came out last week* and is an action war game that takes place in the real world...kind of. It's doing alt-history and also has what can be best described as a loose relationship with reality.

Every clip you posted of this is hilarious

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Excuse me I'm off to buy this immediately.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Oh thanks. That Ace Combat game looks great. Might be a be a bit old but if it's on sale for $5 I might grab it.

What about helicopter games? I loved me some LHX Attack Helicopter when I was little.

Helicopter Gunship DEX doesn't have much content yet but looks really promising if they get an Apache:Havoc / Comanche:Hokum style dynamic campaign in there.

You might also consider Tiny Combat Arena, for jets, though again I think it's pretty early in development.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

vaguely related, did they ever make any more modern games like the desert/jungle/urban/nuclear strike series

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

vaguely related, did they ever make any more modern games like the desert/jungle/urban/nuclear strike series

There's Thunder Wolves, but I found it didn't really scratch that itch.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
also Renegade Ops

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

An Actual Princess posted:

Megacopter: Blades of the Goddess may or may not still be in development

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I know it's a pretty tight list of requirements, but I'm looking for a game that's:

Single-player
Low system requirements (like, laptop-level)
Suited for playing on KB+M instead of gamepad
Small install size
Ideally nothing turn-based

I've been playing a bunch of Vampire Survivors, so sadly that's already taken.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 13, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How small of an install size are we talking here? Like, under 10GB? 1GB? 100MB?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know it's a pretty tight list of requirements, but I'm looking for a game that's:

Single-player
Small install size

These are popular enough that you may have already played them, but: Stardew Valley and Undertale (though the latter's battles are turn-based).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Let's say 5GB, just to put a number on it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Single-player
Small install size

Environmental Station Alpha is a metroidvania built on KB controls, used to be a flash game before being ported to Steam. Should be small install size and not resource intensive at all

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ooh, big fan of metroidvanias, so that seems like it's a perfect fit! Thank you very much.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Looking at my list of favorites, you might also check out

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome, a game about extreme skydiving
Peglin, a peggle roguelike
Jamestown, a very accessible bullet-hell shmup

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Single-player
Small install size

One of my favorite games of all time, which is tragically overlooked, is Nuclear Throne, and it fits every one of these.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Let's say 5GB, just to put a number on it.

How do you like puzzle/adventure games? You could probably fit all of lucasarts games into 5gb.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Single-player
Small install size

How about exploring the wonderful world of Doom (2) mods?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Single-player
Small install size

Iji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tom Clancy's HAWX was an okay Ace Combat clone, not sure about HAWX2 though