Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Countblanc posted:

I feel like it's a dream sequence at this point, probably starting after Miles asked his mom how to deal with it (then going to sleep off screen).

Crabgrass goes some weird places at times. There was that Wrestling Match storyline where Miles' dad was almost kidnapped by a colony of mascots living in catacombs under the arena.

I might be misremembering, but I think that was a presented as a "Huh, well that happened." event?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 28, 1955)

Another fantastic page from VV.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

This one kills me every time.

the bus

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Doomykins posted:

Jules would never honor Jamesallen, Mark caused a boatload of fireworks to explode in the first storyline where he made up with his estranged dad. It's real touching, the first major plothole in New Trail where Mark almost literally steps off camera and teleports away from Florida and all consequences as though it was a Peter vs Giant Chicken gag on Family Guy.

I assume Mark's dad just murdered the clear and present eye witness Mark was fighting in that boat. :allears:

I'm not going to check, but I'm PRETTY sure that before Mark blew up those fireworks, Jules still had everyone in the strip talk about "ol Mark sure does love to blow up the boats!"
She definitely at least mentioned Mark's boat-exploding tendencies in an interview as a reason why she was interested in the character to begin with.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 22, 1935)

Peanuts (February 10, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 25, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 8, 1939)

Out Our Way (January 6-8, 1941)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

SuperKlaus posted:

This one kills me every time.

the bus

Having driven this general stretch of 95 many times, it really does feel that way once you get into the NY/NJ spaghetti around the GWB.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

After this and the skis-on-the-fire strip I'm starting to think Williams wanted this character gone as much as I do. Though his methods are a bit much.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BREAKING Nekonaughey NEWS

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Living the dream

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (September 8, 1939)

This is a really small detail for me to notice, but it's more a comment on the overall arch and development of Thimble Theatre:

I noticed that by and large in the earlier strips that the art has extremely good illustration of punching mechanics. It just caught my eye in a "huh, that's a neat detail" kind of way. Weirdly enough, this punch is backward, with respect to where Popeye's foot is planted and how he's pivoting his hip (for that left hook, the left foot needs to be planted, or even better, pushing off). It's possible that if I go back I'll find more "bad" ones, but I have two data points here that in their minutae may reveal some of the differences between the various artists at different times.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

The end! Newish thing tomorrow.

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/9-11/50

Archie 6/17-19/46

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

not gonna lie this archie arc kinda sucks!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ghostlight posted:

BREAKING Nekonaughey NEWS

This is delightful.

F Minus

:lol:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

He's gonna free everyone in the prison I bet.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This would be an incredibly good time for Mark to remember he can talk to animals. Surely Jules won't disappoint for the 20th time in a row.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Frog.

I Should Be Happy Holbrook Currently Doesn't Have Plot/Theme Ideas

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

Georgia Dunn posted:

Many folks have asked this week if Lupin was ever really pink. Yes and no… Was he ever specifically pink? No. Was he sometimes other colors? Yes. Back in 2013, Lupin was yellow for a few weeks after getting into some daffodils. (We were lucky he did not try to eat them, only rubbed his face into them and batted them with his paws. We’ve been careful of what followers come in since.) He was also sometimes gray, because he loved to get into the fireplace and try to sleep in the ashes. 🙄😂 Longtime readers may remember the second photo. My sister The Intruder sent it while she was babysitting the kids and the cats, after turning around and unexpectedly finding Lupin in the fireplace. 😅

Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

The pressure is building. Mostly inside Glenn’s skull.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

He's gonna free everyone in the prison I bet.

If I remember right the whole reason he feels he owes Savarna is because they rescued his wife from this same prison? I bet when she heard the story she had some opinions about what to do with the place.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Vargo posted:

I can't explain why Bizarro makes me so angry but it sucks and I hate it.

Agreed. Do you like F Minus? I feel like they are kind of doing something similar but one is great.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 21, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 1-2, 1993)

Big Nate

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gasp

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
First things first, it's probably a bad sign that I forgot about Olive & Popeye again. Or that as cute as this premise is, I'm wracking my brain as to why it's going out as "Olive & Popeye".

Our Boarding House (June 28-30, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (September 2-4, 1920)

Dok's "One More Shot Of Courage" Duck (July 27, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 30, 1937-January 1, 1938)

Oh, this one's a dandy...

Pins and Needles, which opened November 1937, was a musical revue staged by the Cultural Division of the International Ladies Garment Workers Union, a mashup of Broadway and union content performed by garment workers who originally rehearsed and performed after work and on weekends until the show got big enough that they quit their day jobs to run a full schedule. Not only is it the only successful Broadway show ever mounted by a labor union, but when it closed in 1940 after 1,108 perfomances, it was the longest running Broadway musical of all time. That number's been beaten several times since then, but it still ranks in the top 100 for longevity.

There are two recordings of "Doing The Reactionary" that leapt out at me. One was an arrangement recorded by Cab Calloway's Orchestra (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFG6XYXtNhQ), and I hope whoever the hell the song plugger was that got it on Cab's bandstand got a nice bonus. The other one, though, is kind of special, and not just because it was a 25th anniversary studio recording of a show that didn't get an original cast album. The special part comes from the insistence of songwriter Harold Rome in getting a spot on the record for a 20 year-old lady who had done some interesting things in a more current show about the garment district he did the music for, "I Can Get It For You Wholesale", but she didn't even have a proper recording contract. Not yet, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQnUOQbjFxY

We didn't get this lucky with "Revolt of the Beavers".

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
[quote="Julet Esqu" post="529654025"]
Luann

Luann's writers are unable to make characters come across as likable or sympathetic and seem oblivious to how bad they are.
If it wasn't for that I'd say this was intentionally setting Gunther's parents up as racist.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 8, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 1-2, 1993)

Ah, the inspiration for the movie S.F.W..

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I feel like this 'arc' was written months ago when people like me were freaking out about Wilbur continuously being allowed to torture Estelle, and now this is an apology.

I am cancelling my newspaper!!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lynda Barry is the best

OK but there are usually queers at the movies is top drawer

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 07, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 07, 2001)

I am absolutely fascinated by this Arlo & Janis travelogue. I had no idea Jimmy Johnson felt this way about Cuba, and I'm glad he could share it.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Howard Beale posted:

I am absolutely fascinated by this Arlo & Janis travelogue. I had no idea Jimmy Johnson felt this way about Cuba, and I'm glad he could share it.

so used to Discord that I want to type :100: but instead I'll type :regd10: because I completely fuckin' agree, this is really interesting and charming and personal, and I wasn't even aware of the comic strip connection.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mark Trail hot on the heels of debilitating gator disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse