Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have XBox Game Pass, it used to work fine. I live in the Middle East and it's not officially supported, but I never used to have any issues. I've recently changed my motherboard, and now it no longer works and I'm met with an error stating it's not supported in my region. I'm logging into the same account, everything is the same, except for the fact I changed a motherboard. Any idea on what I can do to fix it?

Had to change my region in Windows settings. Didn't think something so stupidly simple would work

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What chain store is best for printing/scanning? I've got a form to print, fill out, scan, and email. I've gone to a UPS to do this, spend ten minutes waiting for their bedraggled Windows XP lobby computer to log in to my gmail account, and then I wait in line to pay for both the single page I've printed and the time I spent trying to print it on their lovely computer. And then I have to fill it out and scan. Is there any store that's kind of set up for this?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Unless I really need something to look professional, all my "scans" of documents since covid have just been cell phone pictures. Taken from directly above with a light so that you aren't casting a shadow and they look fine.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What chain store is best for printing/scanning? I've got a form to print, fill out, scan, and email. I've gone to a UPS to do this, spend ten minutes waiting for their bedraggled Windows XP lobby computer to log in to my gmail account, and then I wait in line to pay for both the single page I've printed and the time I spent trying to print it on their lovely computer. And then I have to fill it out and scan. Is there any store that's kind of set up for this?

CVS can do this. Upload the document on their website and pick up the printed document in a few minutes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

honestly with this stuff its not like any entire chain is bad or good, sometimes a particular ups, fedex, cvs, whatever is ok and sometimes it's crap. overall they are kinda the same. technically all of them are "set up" for what you want to do.

the issues you are talking about are very local, since any one of these chains (or independent printing stores) could have lines, bad service, and crappy computers at any one of their stores or there could be one that recently updated their machines and is never crowded, and since no one here knows where to live i think you would be better off consulting reviews from locals on yelp etc.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 7, 2023

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If there's one in your town, the closest local library or even community center is likely able to do all this for free/an absurdly low cost by comparison and with less hassle. I guess your results may vary though depending on how rural your area is

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Blood Nightmaster posted:

If there's one in your town, the closest local library or even community center is likely able to do all this for free/an absurdly low cost by comparison and with less hassle. I guess your results may vary though depending on how rural your area is

I worked at a library system in a big urban area. I’m pretty sure scanning was always free, and we charged like a quarter to print a page.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The library as others have pointed out, or find out which chain store lets you send in and have the docs pre-printed when you arrive for pick-up.

edit: Just realized you need to scan too, in that case just library yeah.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for the suggestions about the ball/socket joint. Freezing the ball did not work, I'm going to try the bench vise thing when I can get over to a buddy's workshop.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there an official name for the little image during a newscast?

This one from Tucker has me rolling

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The picture-in-picture over his shoulder is called just that; Over-The-Shoulder or OTS.

The text at the bottom is called a Chyron or Lower Third.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I need help figuring out if this is a false memory or not

I distinctly remember some DVD subtitles having translations for dialogue that wasn't intended to be understood by English-speaker viewers. Today these lines would say something like "speaking Spanish" in the subtitles.

Here's the thing though - that was a couple decades ago and now I can't think of any specific examples. Was this ever a thing? Am I just remembering wrong? This would have been around the turn of the century, in the age of universal commentary tracks and DVD features

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've seen that before, hell, I still see it fairly often in streaming media. It's definitely been a thing; if it's part of the conceit of the scene you're watching that the 'foreign' language is meant to be unintelligible to another character, you might see (speaking Polish) or whatever instead of an actual translation.

The fun part is when you actually DO understand the given language and can therefore tell whether the producers and actors did the work to be correct, or are just bullshitting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is there an official name for the little image during a newscast?

This one from Tucker has me rolling

That's some incredibly poor nipple censoring.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

I need help figuring out if this is a false memory or not

I distinctly remember some DVD subtitles having translations for dialogue that wasn't intended to be understood by English-speaker viewers. Today these lines would say something like "speaking Spanish" in the subtitles.

Here's the thing though - that was a couple decades ago and now I can't think of any specific examples. Was this ever a thing? Am I just remembering wrong? This would have been around the turn of the century, in the age of universal commentary tracks and DVD features

It's still a thing and it's kind of bullshit - if a hearing person also understands Spanish then they get that dialogue, but if a person using subtitles also understands Spanish, they don't

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know if it's really so that you weren't intended to understand the parts if the subtitles exist somewhere at all. It's way more likely that any version where the translation isn't showing up exists because of gently caress ups, re-work and economic pressure along the way.

Star Trek IV, I think, will sometimes air with subtitles for the English parts and none for the Vulcan parts, even though they are on the dvd.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Killingyouguy! posted:

It's still a thing and it's kind of bullshit - if a hearing person also understands Spanish then they get that dialogue, but if a person using subtitles also understands Spanish, they don't

Yeah but it felt like a real life cheat code

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

There’s sometimes also the situation where you get subs for text that is /should be inaudible in the background

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Okay we all know what I'm talking about, so does anyone know of any examples?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm a subtitler, and generally the rule is "don't translate if the viewer isn't meant to understand it", but there's a lot of clients with a lot of different arbitrary rules, and DVDs, cinema, streaming and linear TV all have generally had different distributors and thus different specifications

A similar thing is whether songs should be translated: some clients flat out forbid translating them, even when they're joke songs in a comedy that directly contribute to the plot, so you have a part of the original language content just randomly cut out of the translation

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Okay we all know what I'm talking about, so does anyone know of any examples?

Sure, how about in the Pixar movie "Brave," one of the characters has an unusually thick Scottish accent, such that the other (also Scottish) characters can't understand what he's saying. If you turn on the subtitles, dialog from this character is just subbed "unintelligible" or something similar.

But according to some Scottish friends, he's speaking actual English, and you can understand him if you understand Scotts well enough.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Silver Falcon posted:

Sure, how about in the Pixar movie "Brave," one of the characters has an unusually thick Scottish accent, such that the other (also Scottish) characters can't understand what he's saying. If you turn on the subtitles, dialog from this character is just subbed "unintelligible" or something similar.

But according to some Scottish friends, he's speaking actual English, and you can understand him if you understand Scotts well enough.

I mean the opposite though. Like the joke is that no one can understand that character when he speaks, so Im talking about a situation where the subtitles would spell out exactly what he was saying thus undermining the intent of the scene

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I guess Snatch

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

In Dead Man they intentionally left the Blackfoot (i think) dialogue untranslated as a fun treat for any speakers of the language in the audience

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 8, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Is the benefit to dental health provided by fluoride in the water delivered when the water touches the teeth or do you actually need to ingest it and have it be processed by your body through digestion?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's when the water/toothpaste touches the teeth, is my understanding. The fluoride binds to the calcium in the teeth and forms an acid-resistant enamel, or something like that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's when the water/toothpaste touches the teeth, is my understanding. The fluoride binds to the calcium in the teeth and forms an acid-resistant enamel, or something like that.

That, or when the government mind control forces you to drink less soda.

I actually think the fluoride is technically slightly bad for your bones, so it's kind of a trade-off (it's a good one).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid the water in my area was apparently very strongly fluoridated, with the net result that I have never had a cavity or chipped a tooth. 100% worth it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Great!

BonHair posted:

That, or when the government mind control forces you to drink less soda.

I actually think the fluoride is technically slightly bad for your bones, so it's kind of a trade-off (it's a good one).

Joke's on them, I basically only drink water anyway, it's mostly bottled water though which is why I was wondering if maybe I should drink some tap water once in a while as well.

Is the "slightly bad for bones" part from ingestion? Cuz if so then if I'm only using the tap water for teeth brushing, I guess I'm getting the best of both worlds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In the vast majority of the developed world, tap water is going to be better both for you and for the environment than bottled. You're overthinking this.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fluoride weakening your bones is a plus if you're a pacifist too. You're a lot less likely to be drafted into the coming skeleton war.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

In the vast majority of the developed world, tap water is going to be better both for you and for the environment than bottled. You're overthinking this.

Seriously. Most bottled water is just filtered municipal tap water anyway so get you one of these bad boys:

... and voila! Infinite bottled water. If you miss the bottle part just go find that old Hydro Flask with the company logo you got from work last year instead of a pay raise and fill that up.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

I'm sure the tap water here is fine at the source but I'm much less confident in the pipes in my actual neighborhood/building, specifically lead contamination is my concern.

Last time I looked it to this (which wasn't that recently) it seemed like all the water filters I could find focused on bacteria and such but did not do a good job of filtering out lead, has the situation changed? It's also possible I did a poo poo job of looking in to this in the first place, I'd actually love to stop buying bottled water.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 8, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Brut posted:

I'm sure the tap water here is fine at the source but I'm much less confident in the pipes in my actual neighborhood/building, specifically lead contamination is my concern.

Last time I looked it to this (which wasn't that recently) it seemed like all the water filters I could find focused on bacteria and such but did not do a good job of filtering out lead, has the situation changed? It's also possible I did a poo poo job of looking in to this in the first place, I'd actually love to stop buying bottled water.

Municipalities are legally required to provide safe drinking water. It's one of the core responsibilities of a government, and if they're failing at that job then it's generally major news. I'm not saying it's impossible that there's elevated lead in your water, just that it's not very likely. And as McCracAttack notes, most bottled water is just tap water; the bottler's filters aren't necessarily going to be pulling lead out because why would they go to that expense?

If you're worried about the water in your house, you can get it tested. The EPA has a page that can help you get started.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Municipalities are legally required to provide safe drinking water. It's one of the core responsibilities of a government, and if they're failing at that job then it's generally major news. I'm not saying it's impossible that there's elevated lead in your water, just that it's not very likely. And as McCracAttack notes, most bottled water is just tap water; the bottler's filters aren't necessarily going to be pulling lead out because why would they go to that expense?

If you're worried about the water in your house, you can get it tested. The EPA has a page that can help you get started.

Yeah, here's it making the news, now I realize that article in particular is not about residences, but old buildings are old buildings. I remember seeing that devices to personally test the water were like $500+, but I suppose the more sensible option is to use a laboratory to test a sample, I'll definitely look in to that, appreciate the link.

I don't know that I can agree about the water bottlers part, if they were shipping lead-contaminated water nation/region-wide it would make bigger news than just some particular buildings, no?

It would still be nice to have an actual portable filter-based solution to this regardless, so I don't have to worry about which exact faucet/pipe I'm pulling water from.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Brut posted:

I don't know that I can agree about the water bottlers part, if they were shipping lead-contaminated water nation/region-wide it would make bigger news than just some particular buildings, no?

There's acceptable levels of contamination for every pollutant you can think of, is the thing. For some pollutants the acceptable level is very low, but it's never zero. I assume that bottlers try to keep the level of lead in their bottled water below the legally mandated threshold, but I doubt they put any particular extra effort in beyond that point.

EDIT: vvv welp that's what I get for mouthing off :v:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 9, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

There's acceptable levels of contamination for every pollutant you can think of, is the thing. For some pollutants the acceptable level is very low, but it's never zero. I assume that bottlers try to keep the level of lead in their bottled water below the legally mandated threshold, but I doubt they put any particular extra effort in beyond that point.

When I say contaminated I do mean significantly so, at a level that would not meet legal requirements, not a pedantic "technically detectable but it's as good as we've got" level.

That being said:

CDC posted:

EPA has set the maximum contaminant level goal for lead in drinking water at zero because lead can be harmful to human health even at low exposure levels.

Even so, lead in water can come from homes with lead service lines that connect the home to the main water line.

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit
Generally bottled water sellers will test their water for contaminants in batches, so they just won't bottle it in a place where the water doesn't meet the standard. They're happy to ship in bottled water from the next town over if your city has bad water, it's a pretty profitable business model.

You can get a reverse osmosis system for your place that'll filter out 99% of the lead in the water (almost certainly making it perfectly safe), but they're not cheap. Probably better to get it tested before investing too much.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Municipalities are legally required to provide safe drinking water. It's one of the core responsibilities of a government, and if they're failing at that job then it's generally major news.

i mean yes and no. when the failure is on the level of an entire city, yes that makes the news, most of the time. when the failure is on the level of an individual building, no thats not going to be on the news even if it goes years and years without being rectified. i lived in an old building in pittsburgh that had disgusting brown water coming out of the taps most of the time, people complained all the time and yes technically the city should have enforced the landlord to fix it, and hell maybe they eventually did after i moved out, but it certainly wasn't a news item. this kind of situation is not exactly rare, old buildings with bad plumbing and lovely landlords are everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
There are tiers of home/portable water filters, and the ones that filter lead will specifically say so.