Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Jeez sis, don't you understand the political ramifications of buying this Vidya????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Imagine playing a game before going through all the credits and conducting background checks on every person involved

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i keep meaning to go back to Elden Ring but I never actually do because theres no humour too it, it's just bleak

they should do a dark souls style game with the great world and the excellent combat but have it be a bit less self serious

its like most gamers and things to do with gaming thesedays, just too serious

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

satanic splash-back posted:

Imagine playing a game before going through all the credits and conducting background checks on every person involved

To be clear I would never buy a product based on the Harry Potter wizarding world universe because it's actually stupid as gently caress

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

To be clear I would never buy a product based on the Harry Potter wizarding world universe because it's actually stupid as gently caress

Well yeah, you shouldn't play games you don't enjoy imo.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
I'm surprised the Harry Potter game is getting good reviews. Ickiness aside, it looked boring as gently caress

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Integrity in games journalism

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lemon Trees posted:

I'm surprised the Harry Potter game is getting good reviews. Ickiness aside, it looked boring as gently caress

I could not imagine a Harry Potter fan who buys a PlayStation for this game specifically would be anything less than impressed with it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

You kid, but I wouldn't be surprised if one day some entrepreneur starts up a company that does this exact thing so that publishers can put a little icon on their game saying that its creative staff is confirmed to be free of bigotry or whatever.

It will be like the Nintendo seal of quality again.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

jokes posted:

I could not imagine a Harry Potter fan who buys a PlayStation for this game specifically would be anything less than impressed with it.

It's highschool but I'M COOL AND POPULAR

I LOVE THIS GAME

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i keep meaning to go back to Elden Ring but I never actually do because theres no humour too it, it's just bleak

they should do a dark souls style game with the great world and the excellent combat but have it be a bit less self serious

I’m trying to imagine elden ring except with the horrible jokes from HiFi Rush and…..yikes

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The sign of a good WAD in doom is that they actually implement all the different difficulty modes and playtest each one so if wad makers can do it i would expect a multi million dollar developer like fromsoft to be able to do it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I was too old for the HP book craze, honestly I think the first time I ever heard of it was when the first movie came out. The kids never got into it either they were too young and the movies were kinda overlong and exhausting and bored them so I don't think I ever watched beyond the third movie. Anyway I'm a sucker for open world games so I'll probably grab it even though the license does nothing for me.

Here's another unpopular opinion, I recently picked up Gotham Knights and it's actually a pretty fun game.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think the FROM games all have some humour in them. Some gallows type humour, but there are some lighthearted characters like Alexander the Jar, or Solaire in DS1. Everybody's completely insane, too, which has it's own sort of comedy. Some people are just comically evil, some are deluded, some are obsessed with complete nonsense. Then you've got the levels of absurdity some of the monsters get to, where it's in this zone between scary and comical, and I think it's all intentional.

The bleakness itself is kind of a joke.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
what if Fromsoft made a Harry Potter game instead of Avalanche Studios

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

jokes posted:

crafting improves every game it’s in, without reservation. Yeah you could just get things for doing things, but wouldn’t it be better if you had to do the same things and then do some more things to get things? Isn’t that deep gameplay?

I like games where it's entirely optional and maybe adds a certain kind of complexity for those who want it but can be totally ignored with no detriment. Reckoning: Kingdoms of Amalur loving nailed this and my unpopular opinion is that the world has yet to see an open world action RPG in a fantasy setting that usurps that game. We can split hairs about Witcher, but nothing CPRG does is really an `action` game in the "arcade combat" sense, IMO. Reckoning was that, and did it very well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

it's like when video game enjoyers are like, "who's buying FIFA every year?? it's the same game with just new names!!!!"

football is the most popular sport in the world, watched and played by literally billions of people, of course it's going to sell tens of millions of copies every year.

everyone in the world eats dinner, way more than the number who watch footy
and yet if I make an indie game about eating food it definitely won't sell billions, even if it is only 10% as lovely as the fifa games

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

so what kind of indie game are you capable of making that would sell billions? loving weird comparison lol

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nah, there's loads of humour in FromSoft games from Patches, to goofy skeletons and wacky item descriptions. It's a specific kind of humour, but its there.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

everyone in the world eats dinner, way more than the number who watch footy
and yet if I make an indie game about eating food it definitely won't sell billions, even if it is only 10% as lovely as the fifa games

you should play cook, serve, delicious

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CumSoft

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Nah, there's loads of humour in FromSoft games from Patches, to goofy skeletons and wacky item descriptions. It's a specific kind of humour, but its there.

I for one found it hilarious how quickly everyone did a 180 when the tree didn't make you Elden Lord and suddenly even the closest adherents to the Greater Will and Golden Order were just like "whatever, let's burn the loving tree down."

Or the realization of how much insanely gross stuff your character has in their pocket. Just a bunch of guts, rotting stuff, old food, poop, amniotic goo.

It's a really dry kind of humor.

And if you want some lower brow stuff the players provide a lot of "try finger but hole" next to every corpse and "dog" in front of turtles.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Demon's Cum
Dark Cum
Dark Cum II: Splooger of the First Cum
Cumborne
Dark Cum III
Sexzero
Elden Cum

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Hogfarts Legacy:

Alright!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Disco Pope posted:

Demon's Cum
Dark Cum
Dark Cum II: Splooger of the First Cum
Cumborne
Dark Cum III
Sexzero
Elden Cum

Armored Cum
Armored Cum 2
Armored Cum 3
Armored Cum 4
Armored Cum: Whore rear end in a top hat

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

what if Fromsoft made a Harry Potter game instead of Avalanche Studios

YOU ARE EXPELLED just doesn't have the same kick as YOU DIED

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

jokes posted:

Armored Cum
Armored Cum 2
Armored Cum 3
Armored Cum 4
Armored Cum: Whore rear end in a top hat

The Adventures of Cookies and Cream

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Low effort sequel to Bully that is set in a knock-off hogwarts called dogfarts and you can give all the nerd wizards magic wedgies

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Low effort sequel to Bully that is set in a knock-off hogwarts called dogfarts and you can give all the nerd wizards magic wedgies

JK rowling will announce that wizards dont wear underwear

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
A lot of the hype around Legacy is astroturfed as gently caress fwiw. Like, we're talking some rando streamers suddenly forgetting their principles to give a guide on starting your first hour even though the game isn't out and they were obviously pushed to talk about it through sponsorship and the like.

It's obvious that someone in the Avalanche to Rowling pipeline is nervous as gently caress about a boycott. Unfortunately padding it with successful reviews will probably screw over the boycott because many gamers are about as sophisticated as the shitheads who eat specifically at Chick-Fil-A to screw over minorities so :shrug:.

Edit: Honestly, Rowling is such a startlingly repugnant human being that she deserves to get poo poo on for her relation to Legacy and her profiting from it. Her logic for why it's okay to sign up with anti-feminist groups to target trans women boils down to some sort of insane corollary that she was abused in a past relationship, so now she gets to be the abuser to gently caress over other people who had nothing to do with her suffering.

Her logic for why this is okay is completely off base. Like, it's like someone getting mugged by a random black guy years in the past only to decide that this means they now have the right to incite people to run over protesters protesting gun violence. It makes no sense whatsoever when you stop to think about the logic of how they arrived from event A to conclusion B, and despite being a multi millionaire that can afford an entire PR division she can't help but keep slipping up and admitting that the real reason she keeps being one of the most infamous TERFs on the planet is that the cruelty (and attention) is the point since she's plugged into all these British terf and evangelical chud spheres of media that require minorities to get exterminated to fulfill their equally insane religious and ideological views.

Couple that with her literally writing books under a pen name of an infamous anti-LGBT bigot who started the whole idea of torturing gay and trans people into confessing they're straight or their birth gender and it's pretty obvious that she is intensely hosed in the head and needs to be made to shut up and get help before she goes full Kanye. Not that the money she's gotten from the original series and the pre-hate speech screed bullshit will enable her getting pushed back into whichever bigot enclave she slithered out of.

I'm gonna say that it's kind of absurd that anyone would feel the need to buy the game given all the hateful poo poo she's gotten up too and what her cut of the money will inevitably at least partially be put towards. I mean, she straight up works with literal hate groups and you can damned well be sure that she'll use at least some of that money to push their agenda. That alone ought to be the deal breaker, even though there's an entire essay/thesis that could be written about all the poo poo she's put a word in in favor of or contributed to over the years to try and cause real human suffering that adds onto that. :shrug:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 7, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
thats every aaa game
marketing budgets are higher than for development lol

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

thats every aaa game
marketing budgets are higher than for development lol

This is true, yeah. It's especially notable with Legacy that there's a major media push to try and counter the negative backlash however.

Just checking around and i've seen about double the usual effort to push it compared to usual. Especially once the latest selection of articles came out over the past few days pointing out that no, Rowling really is that bad of a person, she does in fact use the money she gets from her products to try and do harm to minorities, and it's okay to listen to your conscience and skip a triple A game just this once.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 7, 2023

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
Politics aside, Legacy looks like rear end. I have no idea what my sister sees in the game.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Lemon Trees posted:

Politics aside, Legacy looks like rear end. I have no idea what my sister sees in the game.

Alan 00X???

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lemon Trees posted:

she sees harry potter op

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There's a character in the game named THE LOATHESOME DUNG EATER.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think there's a difference between not knowing and buying it, knowing and buying it anyway, and repeatedly trying to justify your lovely actions to the internet. Nobody expects you to do the research it's more don't support the super vocal piece of poo poo. Lots of people might not know but you sure as gently caress do, and here you are spending post after post trying to act like it's not even morally wrong. gently caress that and gently caress you and any other person who knows who can't even do the super difficult task of "not playing this particular videogame".

Lemon Trees posted:

Ostracizing bigots shouldn't be considered politics. It is, but it shouldn't be.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 7, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Vandar posted:

There's a character in the game named THE LOATHESOME DUNG EATER.

Also, lol at the idea of Elden Ring being serious. This is the game that lets you wear a gigantic finger on your head and give someone the finger* so hard that they die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMgYHbmBrY

Become a goofy looking bubble boys band that can slay people with your weird screeching bubble-fart-from-a-flute music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuCNJS7P9iA

Or amongst a host of other things be a jar boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJFAkw38ac

*Don't forget that you can do a barrel roll into people with the finger to kill people.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 7, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Elden Ring's second half was boring asf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i laughed when godrick ripped off a dragons head and wore it like a boxing glove