Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Y'all talking about some fantastical scenarios here. Iowa scoring 25 pts a game, may as well put a lifetime contract and $10 million on the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Does the contract specify that the points have to come from the offense?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does the contract specify that the points have to come from the offense?

His diddy is going to bail him out

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all talking about some fantastical scenarios here. Iowa scoring 25 pts a game, may as well put a lifetime contract and $10 million on the line.

It sounds like that’s the case!

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1622775847102087170

:sickos:

Lol. Lmao.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This rules. Let's go Iowa players, make it happen

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

forkboy84 posted:

This rules. Let's go Iowa players, make it happen

And/or, let's make it not happen. Either way works for me, I'm not an Iowa fan, I'm just here to laugh about whatever happens.

I wonder if this makes Kirk go for it on the plus side of the field on fourth down at least once or twice instead of punting from the 35. It'd be funny if trying to save his terrible son's job made him a better coach.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Iowa has a vaguely competent game manager QB who can hit some short/mid throws rather than Spencer Petras so it would be hard not to improve somewhat.

I did notice that in the contract it seems to say 25ppg rather than offense scoring X PPG so it’ll be funny if (when) he gets bailed out by the defense.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Every stadium they visit next season should put up their current PPG on the Jumbotron every Iowa drive.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Oh my god I didn’t realize his job depended on it lol

:captainpop:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Every stadium they visit next season should put up their current PPG on the Jumbotron every Iowa drive.

This is brilliant and I hope they do.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Putting my nepotism hat on, it just means he’ll get demoted or something. Even worse, maybe they’ll just give him a brand new contract with even worse terms applied to it.

The Brian Ferentz watch all year will be funny though. Kirk desperately trying to reschedule his OOC teams to get nothing but cupcakes.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Iowa has a vaguely competent game manager QB who can hit some short/mid throws rather than Spencer Petras so it would be hard not to improve somewhat.

I did notice that in the contract it seems to say 25ppg rather than offense scoring X PPG so it’ll be funny if (when) he gets bailed out by the defense.

How is that offensive line? If it's not solid then... good luck with that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You know when you play Ferentzball I think you’d have a not totally terrible argument that the plodding offense and the defense are both part of the slow grinding field position battle that hopefully puts one or the other in scoring range at some point. That’s probably how Kirk sees it, more or less.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

You know when you play Ferentzball I think you’d have a not totally terrible argument that the plodding offense and the defense are both part of the slow grinding field position battle that hopefully puts one or the other in scoring range at some point. That’s probably how Kirk sees it, more or less.

Kirk is disappointed this post leaves out special teams.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Thermos H Christ posted:

I imagine Kirk and Kyle Wittingham have very similar football philosophies and Utah's offense is infinitely better than Iowa.

Or even Iowa of a couple years ago when they dropped 50 on OSU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/football/schedule/season/2023-24/

Get ready for the offensive starters to remain in deep into the 4th quarter of games. Gotta pad the PPG with good showings against the weak opponents.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

man, just imagine having big Ferentz family dinners with your complete stooge of a fraud of a national joke son. What do you even talk about? How your legions of haterz are wrong? What's the deal with pronouns these days?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

man, just imagine having big Ferentz family dinners with your complete stooge of a fraud of a national joke son. What do you even talk about? How your legions of haterz are wrong? What's the deal with pronouns these days?

I'm sure they stay away from potentially offensive subjects

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

People complained about Jay Paterno's ineptitude, and rightfully so, but Brian Ferentz is a lot worse.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Who’s the most capable nepo-OC (had first OC role under their old man at the FBS level)? Kendal Briles?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

General Dog posted:

Who’s the most capable nepo-OC (had first OC role under their old man at the FBS level)? Kendal Briles?

Charlie Weis Jr. doesn't quite fit the stated criteria, but I find it very funny that he could be in that conversation soon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Regnevelc posted:

How is that offensive line? If it's not solid then... good luck with that.

I think it's probably alright but I'm basically basing that on the perception that Iowa sends OL dudes to the NFL somewhat regularly and that they have Big Beefy Boys

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

General Dog posted:

I didn’t realize that Monte Kiffin pretty much followed Lane around these days as an assistant.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

People complained about Jay Paterno's ineptitude, and rightfully so, but Brian Ferentz is a lot worse.

Jay Paterno was partly responsible for two conference championships, which arguably makes him the best head coach's son who wasn't a good enough coach to work for someone else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just noticed Iowa never showed up in the AP poll after finishing a season 8-5 if sports reference is correct?

That seems really hard to do as a P5 team, like, you really need no one to believe in you. I'd expect you to get in there in the low 20's at some point at least.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Grittybeard posted:

I just noticed Iowa never showed up in the AP poll after finishing a season 8-5 if sports reference is correct?

That seems really hard to do as a P5 team, like, you really need no one to believe in you. I'd expect you to get in there in the low 20's at some point at least.

That’s what happens when most of your wins feel like flukes

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1623127085618237442?s=20

I wasn't convinced the Pac-12 would expand, but knew if they did SDSU would target #1. But...SMU???

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Look, it's so conveniently close to Love Field

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Judgy Fucker posted:

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1623127085618237442?s=20

I wasn't convinced the Pac-12 would expand, but knew if they did SDSU would target #1. But...SMU???

This says a lot about Boise, Fresno, UNLV, etc

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DC Murderverse posted:

That’s what happens when most of your wins feel like flukes

They legitimately seem to have had one of the best defenses in the nation. Just that offense was so incredibly bad, it's amazing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Should've gone for broke and tried to get Eastern Washington, show more people the Blood Field of the Inferno.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Watch, the Pac 12 will invite SDSU and SMU on Thursday and on Friday Oregon and Washington bolt for the Big Ten.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

a neat cape posted:

Yeah.

Like I guess Fresno St. can be fun every five years but that's about it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rick posted:

Yeah.

Like I guess Fresno St. can be fun every five years but that's about it.

As always, I think it’s about academics with Fresno and Boise. SMU is apparently decent, along with being in Dallas and having extreme Want To in regards to big-league football.

Even funnier is the article from The Athletic suggesting that an expansion possibility is Gonzaga.

Lol. Lmao.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

UGA in the Richt Gets Fired year finished 10-3 and unranked. (Rightfully.)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

harperdc posted:

As always, I think it’s about academics with Fresno and Boise. SMU is apparently decent, along with being in Dallas and having extreme Want To in regards to big-league football.

Even funnier is the article from The Athletic suggesting that an expansion possibility is Gonzaga.

Lol. Lmao.

No shade to SDSU (I really don’t know) but figured SDSU and Fresno State would be comparable academically.

SMU has solid academics, even if it is a place GOP donors send their extremely mediocre kids to. Kind of a chicken-fried Yale. The law school specifically is notable.

I’d heard rumors one of Yarmok’s big-brained ideas was for the Big 12 to get Gonzaga to go all-in as the men’s basketball conference, so the PAC-12 isn’t the only conference that’s at least entertained the idea of adding them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The impression I always had of SMU (just from living in Texas) is you pay an arm and a leg to go there, but you don't get the prestige that you normally get from paying an arm and a leg to go to a private school.

It's like the private school version of a Californian going to ASU because they couldn't get into a UC school.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

So in Washington, there has been verifiable proof that the Washington legislature favors UW or WSU in funding and other things. People have definitely linked articles about it in these threads.

In California, it's even worse. The UC board is not beholden to the state of California. California State Universities on the other hand are mostly banned from providing doctoral degrees in addition to significantly less funding and control from the California legislature.

So academically, San Diego State would be considered inferior to most or all UCs. Cal Poly is without a doubt considered better academically than SDSU but their football program is tiny. So already SDSU is at best 8th but more likely ~11th best public school in the whole state. Fresno is probably at best 15th (out of 31 publics).

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU is adding a PhD program for the sole purpose of raising their academics so they can get into a better conference

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

a neat cape posted:

SDSU is adding a PhD program for the sole purpose of raising their academics so they can get into a better conference

This is simultaneously hilarious, awesome, and yet another indictment of the farce that is college football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

The impression I always had of SMU (just from living in Texas) is you pay an arm and a leg to go there, but you don't get the prestige that you normally get from paying an arm and a leg to go to a private school.

My uninformed impression was that SMU had that Texas lawyer money working for them, which would seem to be something worth chasing after if you're in a panic mode and looking for any port in a storm like the Pac 12 is if true?